closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sales Corner

Sales Corner

I think it would be a good idea for members that can view SC to be able to reply to threads in SC.

I completely understand the need to block members from creating new sales threads (until they are a fully trusted and established member)
    but i do feel that just replying to existing threads would be beneficial on a number of levels.

What do others think?

Blog Entries
    If you have something to say to the vendor just PM them.

If you feel that there is something wrong with the sales post and PMing the vendor would not be appropriate, just click the Report Post (exclamation mark) link.

There's really little or no real need to comment in sales threads.

Master
    Wait for it.

I think you're on a hiding to nothing, I'm afraid. Why do you need to reply to a sales thread?

Unlike other forums, it is the norm here to correspond and negotiate by PM (open to all). That keeps sales threads fairly brief (or it should).

as already stated, what purpose would it serve? - if you want to buy from someone just PM them and its up to the seller if they want to deal with you.

i've purchased from seller in SC without being able to reply in thread, went fine and could still leave feedback so no issue IMO

Master
    Them's the bosses rules, abide or jog on simples.

Quote Originally Posted by Layin_Cable View Post
    I think it would be a good idea for members that can view SC to be able to reply to threads in SC.
    Why would that be a good idea?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I have purchased from SC by PM and the experience was a good one.
    I have also missed out on an item as I'm sure many before me have, I just thought it would be useful to see if there has been any interest in the item before making contact.

OP - you'll get reply rights at 250 post. As others have said, you can PM sellers now so you aren't at any real disadvantage IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Them's the bosses rules, abide or jog on simples.
    Who are them these bosses?

Can't see problem with OPs post. Most folk are open to constructive suggestions.

I've also seen 'Fundraiser' threads where people have replied to sales posts with their 'bids', I currently can't do that.

Anyway it's just a suggestion, I just thought I'd see if there was any benefit in putting the idea out there.

Craftsman
    I can kind of see the OP's point. However, being able to post may not solve the point raised anyway as not everyone will post on the thread. If someone has already PM'd an offer which was accepted or even being considered, all the posting in the world isn't going to help. Generally, posts on a SC thread aren't to buy anyway, they are just "lovely watch, GLWTS" types. You do get the occasional "yes please", but whether it's on the thread or via PM it won't matter.

I've learned with SC, if you're interested in an item, don't think too long, just fire off a PM and hope for the best!

Edit - one thing I have noticed is that on some threads I can't see the pics, I get an error that I don't have permissions when I click on the link. Not sure if this is due to where the pics are stored or whether the seller can choose not to show pics to those without full SC rights.

Either way, it's not a complaint, just that I don't know why this is.
    Last edited by gunman; 26th January 2015 at 14:35.

I have purchased from SC by PM and the experience was a good one.
    I have also missed out on an item as I'm sure many before me have, I just thought it would be useful to see if there has been any interest in the item before making contact.
    I'm not sure being able to reply on the thread will help you. If someone PMs ahead of you, you still won't know until you make contact and hear back.

I've got a memory that Eddie said he couldn't just block the rights in such a way to allow replies, but not thread starting, so I suspect it's a moot point.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Who are them these bosses?

Can't see problem with OPs post. Most folk are open to constructive suggestions.
    Indeed they are, but I didn't get anywhere and ended up accepting the current situation. See post #17 of my own "Sales Corner" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Indeed they are, but I didn't get anywhere and ended up accepting the current situation. See post #17 of my own "Sales Corner" thread.
    Appreciate this (and that Eddie maybe likes things as they are) but every newer member won't necessarily know that something has been suggested x times before and deserves to be jumped on.

Not always easy to search for something like this.

Appreciate this (and that Eddie maybe likes things as they are) but every newer member won't necessarily know that something has been suggested x times before and deserves to be jumped on.

Agreed...hence I first posted:

I think you're on a hiding to nothing, I'm afraid. Why do you need to reply to a sales thread?

Unlike other forums, it is the norm here to correspond and negotiate by PM (open to all). That keeps sales threads fairly brief (or it should).
    Has anyone jumped on the OP?

Agreed...hence I first posted:

Has anyone jumped on the OP?
    Someone suggested he jog on.

Someone suggested he jog on.
    There's always one!

I suppose the idea behind this, very good, rule is, so you don´t sprint to your 250 posts by bumping every sales post, thus achieving your aim in a couple of days. :)

I completely understand the need to block members from creating new sales threads (until they are a fully trusted and established member)
    but i do feel that just replying to existing threads would be beneficial on a number of levels.

What do others think?
    I think someone will be along soon to suggest you start your own watch forum the way you want it run.

Not me though, I'm not that kind of chap.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I suppose the idea behind this, very good, rule is, so you don´t sprint to your 250 posts by bumping every sales post, thus achieving your aim in a couple of days. :)
    No, that would be what the 180 day wait is for. It's just as easy to speed post to 250 outside of SC with "nice watch" posts and the like. (If you were inclined to get up to that sort of thing anyway)
    Last edited by gunman; 26th January 2015 at 15:58.

Master

What do others think?
    I thin you should just ask the gaffer, but while Burnseys away just ask the Edmister.....

Now that I've read PickleB's previous post I see the idea is a bit flawed, although i still think it's a valid point for the 'bidding' element in a fundraiser type post
    i.e. there is a fundraiser currently on SC which i believe currently sits at £40, if i bid £50 by PM then others wouldn't see this.
    It would just make for a bit of transparency.

You're quite right, the first thing i tried was a search to see if the idea had ever been suggested.

Now that I've read PickleB's previous post I see the idea is a bit flawed, although i still think it's a valid point for the 'bidding' element in a fundraiser type post
    i.e. there is a fundraiser currently on SC which i believe currently sits at £40, if i bid £50 by PM then others wouldn't see this.
    Just PM the person running the fundraiser with your bid, explain you don't have permission to post on the thread and ask them to do so on your behalf.

Master
    As a relative newcomer to TZ I have bought several items now from SC by PM'ing the seller and it's been fine, quick responses and each item that I have bought has been spot on from the description, when they have arrived, so for me the PM'ing part is no hassle at all, and I have been able to leave feedback.
    I understand the concern about an individual indescriminantly bumping up their post count if certain controls aren't in place. All in all, I think it all works great.

Why would you "reply" to a Sales post? If you want to buy the watch, shoes or secondhand underwear, send a PM to the seller.

By "replying" to a Sales post you bump the post to the top of Page 1 of Sales Corner, and relegate all of the other Sales posts. It's frustrating to put an item up for sale only to find that by the afternoon of the first day it's been relegated to half way down page 3 because some idiot keeps on posting "Nice watch! If only I had some money I would buy it! GLWTS!"

You haven't thought this through, have you?

Instead of lifting the ban on newbies posting replies on SC, I think it would be an even better idea to ban everyone else from replying too.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Why would you "reply" to a Sales post? If you want to buy the watch, shoes or secondhand underwear, send a PM to the seller.

By "replying" to a Sales post you bump the post to the top of Page 1 of Sales Corner, and relegate all of the other Sales posts. It's frustrating to put an item up for sale only to find that by the afternoon of the first day it's been relegated to half way down page 3 because some idiot keeps on posting "Nice watch! If only I had some money I would buy it! GLWTS!"

Clearly not.

As I'm not able to sell yet I can only see it from a buyer's perspective, hence why I asked the question in an open forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    Instead of lifting the ban on newbies posting replies on SC, I think it would be an even better idea to ban everyone else from replying too.
    Great idea!

Why shouldn't newcomers post the same drivel as the old hands.

The "old hands" should really know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    Agreed.

Also worth pointing out is the risk of Sales Corner being closed if too many people start whingeing about it.

It's happened before.

Journeyman
    Also worth pointing out is the risk of Sales Corner being closed if too many people start whingeing about it.
    It's happened before.
    Pleeeeaaaase don't let that happen. I'm about two days away from being able to see SC - and I'm in desperate need of some NOS underwear!

They can! Just not necessarily in the same places.

Quote Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
    Pleeeeaaaase don't let that happen. I'm about two days away from being able to see SC - and I'm in desperate need of some NOS underwear!
    NOS: Not Overly Stained? Not Obviously Stained? Not Overpoweringly Smelly? Noxious Old Sausage?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    NOS: Not Overly Stained? Not Obviously Stained? Not Overpoweringly Smelly? Noxious Old Sausage?

All of those things. And probably a few more that even you haven't thought of.