closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Desk Food

Craftsman

Desk Food

Evenin'
    Bit of a strange thread but something that i haven't seen discussed before... and if we can have a thread on pants I guess anything goes...

What do you eat at work lunchtimes? I am a prolific desk-grazer, and readily slip into the trap of prepacked sandwiches and endless crisps and chocolate.

I am looking for something cheaper and healthier, I have tried Kabuto noodles and they seem pretty good but what does everyone else eat?
    Best regards
    Chris

These: http://bulletmeal.com/?lang=en .

Edit: The English pages are not too good. You might find this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cV8qj2KgT8Y enlightening (NSFW).
    Last edited by hako; 4th February 2015 at 21:36.

Banned
    I am very boring on day to day food and at work its this:

Before gym: small portion simply nutty meusli with skim milk and serving of whey protein isolate

After gym: large portion of a slightly sweeter meusli, skim milk and protein powder.

Master
    Cereal bars and fruit to graze on throughout the day, big salad with everything salady and lentils, chickpeas with cheese and dressing for lunch, then a Mars bar around 3.
    Generally tides me over til the evening meal. Oh and a berocca

Craftsman
    Thanks for the input guys!

Quote Originally Posted by hako View Post
    These: http://bulletmeal.com/?lang=en .

Edit: The English pages are not too good. You might find this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cV8qj2KgT8Y enlightening (NSFW).
    Sorry, but for me this does not look appetising at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    I am very boring on day to day food and at work its this:

Before gym: small portion simply nutty meusli with skim milk and serving of whey protein isolate

After gym: large portion of a slightly sweeter meusli, skim milk and protein powder.
    I have been thinking about a protein shake first thing with my first (and only) coffee. I don't do breakfast at home, and often the first food for me is a chocolate bar at 10ish... this sets me off on the peaks and crashes of the sugar rollercoaster for the rest of the day.... something I have tried and failed to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Cereal bars and fruit to graze on throughout the day, big salad with everything salady and lentils, chickpeas with cheese and dressing for lunch, then a Mars bar around 3.
    Generally tides me over til the evening meal. Oh and a berocca
    Sounds good... but I know I would never get round to prepping the salad in the morning.

I'm a thoroughly unpleasant chap at work, so I just pickup the phone and chew someones face off.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Banned
    Yes its gotta be convenient. The meusli and protein are quick and easy and also my main carbs of the day.

You could try a meal replacement bar, just look for a decent amount of protein and beware that many are loaded with sugar so not a good choice. And buy them individually at first cos some taste like Satan's crotch and you hardly want 50 of them hanging about!

Porridge, tea and Itsu.

Not in the same bowl.

Craftsman
    Extra rough oatcakes, no topping.

Eggs, cook them in the micro in work. Quick tasty snack.
    Hummus, bring different chopped veg every day to dip into it. (celery/carrots/cucumber)

Craftsman
    Tub of cottage cheese and a banana.

Master
    When I do salad for work I prep it the previous evening, if you do it while you are cooking dinner it doesn't really take any extra time, quite often I'm chopping stuff that goes in to dinner and the salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    I am looking for something cheaper and healthier, I have tried Kabuto noodles and they seem pretty good but what does everyone else eat?
    Best regards
    Chris
    A few years back I decided to put fruit bowls in each of our offices. Before doing so, we all used to graze on chocolate, crisps and sweets most days and people used to moan about how they wished they hadn't just snacked on junk once the 'buzz' from eating it had faded; since putting the fruit bowls in place, people tend to gravitate towards that option and our tuck box is seldom used. I foot the bill for the fruit and make sure it is topped up each week - I'd like to think that people are healthier and have more energy as a result but we've never had a very poor record of absenteeism and I have not proof. Nevertheless, it seemed like the right thing to do and has become part of our culture now. You can't get more cost effective and easier than an apple, banana and an orange, so why not start there if you want cheaper and healthier options.

Craftsman
    I eat omelettes for lunch. Endless possibilities (ie whatever's in the fridge) and reasonably healthy (depending on how you do them).

How come all this healthy food, yet all the clothing in the sales corner is XXL?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasrichmond View Post
    How come all this healthy food, yet all the clothing in the sales corner is XXL?
    .....guess the XXL's have put this thread on ignore!

Master
    I make the night before. Tortilla wraps with either chicken or tinned fish (mackerel etc), in the wrap goes sliced toms, sliced peppers, red onion. Spread it all out, roll it up, cut in two, pack in lunch box. Fruit in the morning and mid afternoon.

Journeyman
    Porridge and fruit - mmm... rarely feel hungry!

Master
    I always go out for lunch. I get more variety that way, plus my brain works better if I leave the office every now and then.

Master
    I used to make sandwiches and have a graze box delivered every day when my office was on an industrial estate.
    The I changed jobs and had a large Tesco a couple minutes walk away, which lead to me eating all sorts of rubbish and the occasional healthy option.
    Now my office is a short stroll in to the centre of town, some days i'm in by myself so I won't bother with lunch or will make some rolls, occasionally popping in to M&S for a treat or two, if there are others in the office then I have lunch out, either with them or whilst out visiting clients, this can lead to anything from sub way to a restaurant.
    My lunch spending tends to be pretty high when buying out Ł5 plus is easily done, when I compare it to the cost of making my own it's silly, but it's down to convenience.

Master
    I usually do a big batch cook on a Sunday and take 5 days worth of lunch in on a Monday (kept in the fridge in work). This can vary from a load of chicken and veg roasted up with some cajun spice or similar to a big batch of chilli which i'll eat with a sweet potato done in the microwave.

If i'm not organised to do that then i'll buy a pack of pre cooked chicken breasts, some veg and/or some sundried tomatoes, olives etc and have a helping of that at lunch. If that's not available then its a pack of pre cooked chicken and a dip/salsa.

It's actually really easy to eat healthily. The guys in work are big into their share bags but it's extremely rare that i'll eat chocolate at work. I feel guilty enough sitting at a desk all day.

I have breakfast before leaving the house around 7.30, lunch around 12.30 then a snack at 4 on the dot every day. The snack is usually some kind of nut/seed mix with a bit of fruit (usually a banana). If i do the gym at lunch then it's sometimes cottage cheese or natural yogurt.

I've started replacing some meals with these:

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/high-pr...flapjacks.html

Yet to see how it'll work out long term but these are awesome, well balanced nutritionally, much, much healthier than crappy supermarket sandwiches and really convenient for eating without stopping what you're doing. I tried protein shakes as well for a bit, but I don't find they work so well as a meal replacement because they are liquid, so I think those are best only if you are lifting weights and need to increase your protein intake, on top of consuming a lot of calories (I'm not atm).

You can buy a single sample from them, but for whatever reason they only have the chocolate flavour available. Both flavours are really very good. I kinda wish they had some savoury ones though.

Sweet Potato and Chana Lentil Dahl With Chickpeas

Bang it in the microwave for 3 mins, yum !

http://www.baxters.com/product/sweet...with-chickpeas

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad The Bad View Post
    Bang it in the microwave for 3 mins, yum !

http://www.baxters.com/product/sweet...with-chickpeas
    Baxter's broth is possibly the greatest soup ever made.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the suggestions, think I am going to try out a variety. Alternating protien shakes and porridge (probably just the super cheap porridge oats as I find these tasty enough with a sprinkle of sugar) in the AM. Noodles for lunch. And fruit to fill the gaps. Should be healthier and save cash!

Banned
    Suggest you add some protein to the lunch or you will be hungry very soon after and back on the snacks!

Journeyman
    Homemade food is a must, not processed pre-made meals.

I do myself a nice pasta, meat, veg and passata sauce, takes 10 mins in the morning, then heat it in the microwave at work, yum Free with SlimmimgWorld according to my missus, which is good apparently.

Master
    Porridge and then homemade soup or fruit/sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Suggest you add some protein to the lunch or you will be hungry very soon after and back on the snacks!

Obsessed with protein you josh!!

If you drink a pint of water through the mid section of my duvet you'll have your yearly intake ;)

I work 200 yards from a KFC.I have eaten so much chicken recently I am surprised I have not started growing feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    I work 200 yards from a KFC.I have eaten so much chicken recently I am surprised I have not started growing feathers.

And a pair of tits!!

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    And a pair of tits!!

Food? Meh. All you need is coffee.

I usually buy a good quality soup and microwave it in the work kitchenette. As I'm a sedentary desk jockey, soup does the job of filling me up for afternoon, and generally low calories. Favourite is Tesco's finest range, and more often than not they are flogging them on offer.

Craftsman
    hmm, why not prepering it on your own?
    my 4 best choices are
    millet with plums, goji, chia, honey
    millet with fish, tomatos, olives, chilli and bazil
    pancakes - mixed oatmeal with apple and egg
    granola
    quick and easy to prepare, usually I do more, for 3 days or so
    healthy, low pH, low sugar

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I always go out for lunch. I get more variety that way, plus my brain works better if I leave the office every now and then.
    Couldn't agree more. Each to their own and all that but for me as my job is predominantly desk/computer based I find fresh air and a wander for half an hour or so really does help.

Lunch tends to be a soup or wrap/sandwich from the local market preferably consumed whilst out and about, weather permitting.
    Last edited by eduk; 8th February 2015 at 10:17.

Craftsman
    When I worked in an office, I would have roll and bacon/sausage to keep me going till lunch then have pie and sausage roll for lunch. I then moved upmarket to subways usually meatball marinara 12 inch . I hated pre-packed sandwiches as there was always an ingredient I disliked .Now I work from home my hours have changed I usually have something hot around noon and that does me till 6 pm

Pot noodle! Or super noodles if I'm feeling civilized and want to use a bowl