closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I only joined this forum to ...

Master
    Blog Entries

I only joined this forum to ...

... find out about my granddad's vintage Seamasters ... and now I've ended up buying this ... (and winning a Vostock in Wexford's competition)

Thanks for those who have answered my various questions; I got it from WatchFinders; the service was good and as they are near me it was convenient; they also cut me a bit of a deal on the price.

I'm pleased with it; a real design classic. Tried the 39mm 214270 whilst I was there and it looked huge in comparison.

I have all the papers & box plus a recent Rolex service card so it has Rolex warranty for a while.

So nice!.......one day

Nice buy, but what happened to your grandad's Seamasters?

Master
    Similar to me. I joined to find out a bit more about Rolex's and ended up buying a Panerai, a Fifty fathoms and a Laco. I now know a lot more about watches than I did but nowhere near as much as many on this site. Its been really enjoyable too

Grand Master
    A very wise choice. Nicer than the 39mm IMO, the design works better and the watch looks better proportioned.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A very wise choice. Nicer than the 39mm IMO, the design works better and the watch looks better proportioned.

Paul
    +1

very nice. the minute hand being the correct length is also a bonus!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    Nice buy, but what happened to your grandad's Seamasters?
    Still got the seamasters, will be sending one off to Paul for a service soon ...

Lovely watch. Next on my list I think.... Will be a while yet!

Craftsman
    Very nice watch! Its always been on my short list.. Enjoy it :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice. I went for the 39mm as the 36mm looked lost on my 7.5 inch wrists.

I like both versions of the explorer a lot - they both have their individual merits and represent, to me, a great example of what rolex does best - no nonsense steel "sports watches" with minimal embellishment.

OP - yours is looking good.

Lovely

Are you going to try it on leather at some point?

Ha, glad you got it sorted and got a decent deal - lovely watch and I miss mine.

Last of the true heritage Rolex..? Maybe!

Master
    This is a watch I have always fancied but never actually tried one on. Looks great, enjoy it.

Master
    I only joined this forum because I was bored!
    Was happy with a Tag aqua racer & an el cheapo (now, back it then it was a large amount of money) Espirit quartz.
    3 Seiko, 2 Damsko, 3 Amphibia, 1 Poljot, 1 Rolex, 1 GO senator moonphase, 1 PRS 25, 1 Sea Gull, 1 Kemnner and 1 wee casio later I am still trying to figure out what the hell happened!
    Also had a Muhle Glashutte 29er gifted it to my niece as she took a shine to it!

You know Montello, every time I see the dial of your Explorer, my head and heart go into spontaneous alignment - telling me that I'm missing out.
    It happens every time and its the only watch I can think of which does that. Congratulations.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Very nice. I went for the 39mm as the 36mm looked lost on my 7.5 inch wrists.
    Yeah, with a thicker wrist the 39mm probably is better as the 36 would look small but for my wrists the 36 looks right, the 39 was too big. I was surprised at the visual difference 3mm made. Horses for courses.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    ... find out about my granddad's vintage Seamasters ... and now I've ended up buying this ... (and winning a Vostock in Wexford's competition)

Thanks for those who have answered my various questions; I got it from WatchFinders; the service was good and as they are near me it was convenient; they also cut me a bit of a deal on the price.

I'm pleased with it; a real design classic. Tried the 39mm 214270 whilst I was there and it looked huge in comparison.

I have all the papers & box plus a recent Rolex service card so it has Rolex warranty for a while.
    Nice watch. Is that the 114270 rather than the 14270?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pearlwhite67 View Post
    Nice watch. Is that the 114270 rather than the 14270?
    It is the 114270. I couldn't help but be put off the 14270 by this: http://people.timezone.com/library/h...horologium0036

Some useful info here: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=38868

I decided as this is a long term buy to go with the last 36mm model which has the latest thinking at that time.

congrats! you've caught the dreaded watch-pox - there is no cure

I find it is a great watch and quite under appreciated.
    Bought one a few months ago. Unfortunately for me now the misses has claimed possession :-)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    It is the 114270. I couldn't help but be put off the 14270 by this: http://people.timezone.com/library/h...horologium0036

Yeah i saw that 'review'. Not sure if holds much water based on the used prices of 14270 and 114270 being virtually identical..

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pearlwhite67 View Post
    Yeah i saw that 'review'. Not sure if holds much water based on the used prices of 14270 and 114270 being virtually identical..
    I believe it's been discredited now but all the same I went for the updated movement and braclet.

Craftsman
    I really only joined to distract myself from buying more golf equipment. Watches have subsequently cost me far more!!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    +2