closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: G Shock problem

G Shock problem

Following my recent thread about a shock proof watch, I went ahead and purchased a G Shock. It a digi-analog job, WR20 bar, basically, perfect for me.

Following a cycle ride, I noticed condensation/ misting on the inside of the crystal. This disappeared in the warmth of the house. However, condensation means moisture in the case which in turn means possible corrosion. I have made contact with the vendors who have suggested taking to a watchmaker and drying or returning for drying.

A search on here and the interweb has people suggesting things from the 'do nothing' to 'open and dry and reseal' to 'return for replacement' with no definitive answers.

As far as I've known, in my experience of new automatics, I have never seen the same, whether they are Seikos or Omegas or whatever. Is there a definitve answer?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    This can happen in some cases because the watch was put together in a humid environment, so it is said.

The above may be so but I wouldn't like it. My reaction would be to send it back for a refund or replacement. Note, refund or replacement, not repair.

However, if getting a refund or replacement is going to be difficult (depending on where you bought it) I'd check to see if the Casio warranty is valid. I don't know offhand if Casio warranties are worldwide, require dealer stamps, etc., so I'd check on that. If the Casio warranty is valid then I'd do nothing -- just carry on wearing the watch! If the watch actually goes wrong then send it back to Casio for a warranty fix.

If you establish that the Casio warranty is not valid and, as above, getting a refund or replacement is going to be major hassle, then a bit of DIY: Open up the case, leave it somewhere warm and dry for a bit, close up and see what happens. Perhaps only do this if the condensation reappears.

Well, that's what I'd do.

N.B. It is normal for there to be some moisture in any and all watches, unless they are sealed in a protective atmosphere or have some sort of desiccant inside. So some condensation does not necessarily indicate likely failure.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 14th March 2015 at 20:17.

This has popped up on threads a couple of times now. I recall that one of the watchmakers here made reference to the 'ice cube effect'. Namely if you put an IceCube on the face of a normal watch then even the tiny amount of air found in it will condense and cause misting. I've not checked but it makes sense to me. My gshocks would always mist on bike rides when it was cold.

My only warning is that I once sent a leaking g shock to Casio UK for a warranty repair. They were totally useless and refused, though it wasn't my fault.

Steve

Thanks for the responses chaps. I've contacted the vendor asking for a refund. Let's see how that goes.

Master
    I've had the same issue on bike rides on cold days. I too was concerned initially but the watch continued to work perfectly and remained water proof whilst swimming.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rishie View Post
    Thanks for the responses chaps. I've contacted the vendor asking for a refund. Let's see how that goes.
    Hope it goes well. Are they in the EU? If so, they will effectively have no choice but to comply.