closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Racing drivers....ghosts from the past

Racing drivers....ghosts from the past

Popped round to see my mate earlier,who informed me I'd blow my bits over what he had to show me.He went next door to his deceased grandmas house and returned with an old trunk which contained some of his uncles possessions,some of which were boxed meccano trains and associated carriages,signals etc,all very cool stuff.

However the thing that sent chills down my spine was an old autograph book which contained some heroes from the history of motor racing,some are easy to make out and I recognised,but others I can't decipher,please feel free to enlighten me if you know.

As daft as it sounds holding that book ,and looking at Jim Clarks name signed on that piece of paper really made my day,utterly amazing.

Fantastic ! Great find .
    Cheers..
    Jase

Indeed, that's fantastic.

I'd get a tingle down my back holding that.

Reading the signatures :

Roy Salvadori : top right in the photo, partially obscured, white helmet with vertical dark stripe

That's Bruce McLaren's signature I believe.

Graham Hill, easily read.

From the photo, left of Hill, I'm pretty sure the driver obscured in the white helmet with chequered band is Jean Behra.

Moss is there having a laugh. And Clark.

Rather soberingly, how many lived to see old age ?

Still, really rather wonderful
    Last edited by oldandgrumpy; 21st March 2015 at 00:05.

Superb, thanks for sharing. And what a great shot of Hill Snr

Blog Entries
    Wow! Simply wow. I was nearly 10 yrs old when Jim Clark died. He was my hero. I can still remember the moment and where I was when my mom told me that she'd heared on the evening news about Jim Clarks' accident. I was totally gutted and couldn't believe it. Like the 'where were you when Kennedy died?' moment. This was my version of that moment.

To put it in perspective: my dad drove a Cortina back then. White, with -what I now know- two Webers. For sure the fastest car in the street! I'm sure you can see the link here with Clark. And to add a modern day moment: there's a young couple in my home town with a light grey Cortina as their daily driver. I'm always excited when I see that car. Lovely! (I'm even willing to discuss a discount when they come over to the workshop for a repair of service!)

Menno

And since Sir Stirling is on the pic as well: here's a pic of him last week on Amelia Island (Pic by 914World member Dion)

Last edited by thieuster; 21st March 2015 at 11:00.

Nice peace of treasure you have there and it lovely condition.

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    Indeed, that's fantastic.

I'd get a tingle down my back holding that.

Reading the signatures :

Roy Salvadori : top right in the photo, partially obscured, white helmet with vertical dark stripe

That's Bruce McLaren's signature I believe.

Graham Hill, easily read.

From the photo, left of Hill, I'm pretty sure the driver obscured in the white helmet with chequered band is Jean Behra.

Moss is there having a laugh. And Clark.

Rather soberingly, how many lived to see old age ?

Still, really rather wonderful

What a fantastic find!

On the autograph front I think that there may be a Gordon Wilkins (journalist and racing driver) in there, and there was a lesser-known driver of the time by the name of Tommy Wisdom, but that's a guess on my part.

Wonderful....great graham hill documentary was on tonight on bbc 2 with Jeremy irons , Damon and his sisters got emotional still today talking about him and seeing his old race cars on track... Really lovely document you have there...