closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Find the fault in the picture......

Master

Find the fault in the picture......

This is an original Ap Offshore catalog picture from 93-94 with an big fault.

Can you see the problem ?

I bought one anyway.

Hans.

Banned
    Too easy. The screw in the middle is rotated 60 degrees wrong.

Last edited by GrandS; 23rd March 2015 at 09:29.

Master

My eyes!!!

One of the screws is not in line!!! AAGGGHHHH!!! Who let that past for photo's!!??

Chris

It's not a sterile render?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Hopefully they would accept that as a valid warranty issue

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Hopefully they would accept that as a valid warranty issue
    Never! He could get the screw rotated, but only if he pays for a full service, polish and the replacement of any parts they deem to be worn. Fine watchmakers have standards you know.

the light on those two screws looks suspiciously identical, i don't think this would deb possible given the spacing.

I'm almost certain one of the screws is a photoshop clone and reshape of the other. Not sure why they would do that though

do i win a prize?
    Last edited by LonginesManiac; 23rd March 2015 at 09:41.

Craftsman
    I've seen that on quite a few different makes (re the screws) Hublot in particular where non of the screws around the face lined up at all, they were all over the place.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nickspitfire View Post
    I've seen that on quite a few different makes (re the screws) Hublot in particular where non of the screws around the face lined up at all, they were all over the place.
    Hublot....

Quote Originally Posted by nickspitfire View Post
    They are intentionally like that on a Hublot to show the 'randomness' of them apparently.

These are not screws however, they are white gold bolt heads so it's a lousy job from the assembler!

Looks fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Never! He could get the screw rotated, but only if he pays for a full service, polish and the replacement of any parts they deem to be worn. Fine watchmakers have standards you know.
    It's not a screw, it's a bolt head. Maybe you should learn about watches?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Looks fine to me.

Sliiiiiightly elongated :)

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Well that's what AP call them but what would they know?

http://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wat...tion/royal-oak

A disruptive and downright revolutionary timepiece, the Royal Oak is immediately recognizable thanks to its state-of-the-art engineered strongbox case, octagonal bezel secured by eight hexagonal screws, visible water resistance gaskets, dials adorned with exclusive engine-turned “Grande Tapisserie” motif.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Well that's what AP call them but what would they know?

http://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wat...tion/royal-oak
    "A disruptive and downright revolutionary timepiece, the Royal Oak is immediately recognizable thanks to its state-of-the-art engineered strongbox case, octagonal bezel secured by eight hexagonal screws, visible water resistance gaskets, dials adorned with exclusive engine-turned “Grande Tapisserie” motif."

I suppose our local "expert", DB9 will have to teach the ignoramuses at AP about watches...

Bolt heads made to be pretend screws = poor design.

More a case of the bottom screwing onto the top, than vice versa (see below).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd March 2015 at 10:53.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I suspect it is a "machine screw" which many knowing what it is will shorten to screw in the knowledge that screws are not used in watches ...

People often get bolts confused with machine screws ...

Machine screws the shank is threaded all the way ... bolts the thread is only on the end of the shank and the section near the head is not threaded ...

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    Bolt heads made to be pretend screws = poor design.
    That's a very big statement, bearing in mind that the RO is recognised universally as a design icon. You probably just mean that you don't like them.

This is how the top 'screws' into the bottom:

More here:
    http://people.timezone.com/library/h...70172488072079

Technically it's a hex 'bolt' or 'screw' (the screw cut out is for aesthetic purposes.)

Last edited by LonginesManiac; 23rd March 2015 at 11:18.

It looks like a photoshop fail. There must have been a finger print or mark on the original screw/bolthead and rather than try to remove it they've cloned the screw from above.

It's a legitimate criticism of the design. In my opinion, the slot in the bolt head is unnecessary, and is dishonest, in that it implies one thing, ie screw, but is a bolt. I don't think the 8 bolts add anything to the overall design, and the fixings could be easily done in a concealed way. This, in my opinion is poor design. Overall I quite like the case design of the original ROO, though the modern chrono iterations do not appeal to me. YMMV :)

Banned
    Let's just get over it.

"The words "bolt" and "screw" are ambiguous. Bolt or screw is not a physical thing; it is a matter of how a physical thing is used. However, there are those who have set about trying to define these words as precise engineering terms. The very nature of the common English use of these words renders that impossible."

http://engineerexplains.com/answr/Screw-vs-Bolt1.html

AP calls it a screw. If some self styled expert want's to call it something else, so be it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Let's just get over it.

"The words "bolt" and "screw" are ambiguous. Bolt or screw is not a physical thing; it is a matter of how a physical thing is used. However, there are those who have set about trying to define these words as precise engineering terms. The very nature of the common English use of these words renders that impossible."

http://engineerexplains.com/answr/Screw-vs-Bolt1.html

AP calls it a screw. If some self styled expert want's to call it something else, so be it.
    Just your opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by LonginesManiac View Post
    Technically it's a hex 'bolt' or 'screw' (the screw cut out is for aesthetic purposes.)
    I thought the cut out was to hold the 'nut' while the screw is screwed in from underneath, the idea being that if you rely on the case to hold the 'nut', then eventually, especially with steel screws and precious metal bezels, you'll wear the hexagonal holes in the bezel and round them off a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    I thought the cut out was to hold the 'nut' while the screw is screwed in from underneath, the idea being that if you rely on the case to hold the 'nut', then eventually, especially with steel screws and precious metal bezels, you'll wear the hexagonal holes in the bezel and round them off a bit.
    It's possible!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Just your opinion of course.
    What part of that post was my opinion?

My post contained a quote to an article.

A suggestion: "Let's just get over it."

An easily verifiable statement: "AP calls it a screw."

and another suggestion: "If some self styled expert want's to call it something else, so be it."

Are you having trouble understanding English or is there some other reason for your strange post? I hope you are not having senility issues.
    Last edited by GrandS; 23rd March 2015 at 11:39.

I thought that screws were singular and tightened using a screwdriver and that bolts were a set, along with a nut and were tightened using spanners or a socket set.
    Shows what I know?!

It's a legitimate criticism of the design. In my opinion, the slot in the bolt head is unnecessary, and is dishonest, in that it implies one thing, ie screw, but is a bolt. I don't think the 8 bolts add anything to the overall design, and the fixings could be easily done in a concealed way. This, in my opinion is poor design. Overall I quite like the case design of the original ROO, though the modern chrono iterations do not appeal to me. YMMV :)
    As I said, then...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Are you having trouble understanding English or is there some other reason for you strange post?.
    Trouble with English?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Trouble with English?
    Ok, your just a troll. Fine.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ok, your just a troll. Fine.
    oh, the irony. Bless.

Shame to see another thread going down this road. There's a trend lately.

I thought all fasteners that have a thread going all the way from the head to the tip are screws, and the thread on a bolt stops some way before the head. No?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    I thought all fasteners that have a thread going all the way from the head to the tip are screws, and the thread on a bolt stops some way before the head. No?
    Correct. Generally...

Master
    The length of a thread doesn't dictate whether the fastener is a screw or a bolt – not all screws and bolts are full length threaded. It'll depend on the engineering solution being addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Indeed. With the same poster every single time.

I suppose our local "expert", DB9 will have to teach the ignoramuses at AP about watches...
    There is only one, and it's you.

Have you owned an AP out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Almost, on a SS version the nuts and screws are white gold, the slot is there to ensure they can be tightened to the correct torque without distorting the nut against the SS bezel.

The Hublot ones are 'all over the place' as they use round slotted screws tightened to a set torque too, and it is near on impossible to get the same torque and screws in the same position. better water tight than looking right.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    The length of a thread doesn't dictate whether the fastener is a screw or a bolt – not all screws and bolts are full length threaded. It'll depend on the engineering solution being addressed.
    Maybe, until you try to order what you want from a supplier of fasteners. Then they need to know which you want, or you order screws and they go "Hm, not got those in stock but we have bolts of the same thread size, how much thread length do you need?"

I stand corrected however, and while suppliers use the terminology to distinguish different types of threaded thingummies - basically a bolt is held stationary while a nut is turned onto it - while a screw turns its way into whatever material it is fastening: http://euler9.tripod.com/bolt-database/boltdef.html
    Last edited by Sara; 23rd March 2015 at 15:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    basically a bolt is held stationary while a nut is turned onto it - while a screw turns its way into whatever material it is fastening:
    Therefore the AP uses bolts by that definition, as the case is held together by being compressed together but the nut and bolt

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Therefore the AP uses bolts by that definition, as the case is held together by being compressed together but the nut and bolt
    Then how can AP be take seriously if they don't know the correct term for the fasteners they are using?

Master
    I would like to suggest from this day onwards, any thread referring to an AP RO case fastening system shall henceforth be known as 'BOLTS'. If we can all accept this term on TZ here, there will be harmony & peace amongst us.
    As you were. :)

Grand Master
    It's a legitimate criticism of the design. In my opinion, the slot in the bolt head is unnecessary, and is dishonest
    Dishonest? Jesus, it's only a tiny design feature. I don't think there's anything like this level of bad-tempered pickiness to be found anywhere in the world. It certainly sets the anoraks off every time - a slotted screw *that can't be turned*!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

You may not like the look, but they are there to hold the sandwich of the case together front to back.
    The slot is necessary as it is used when tightening up the sandwich to the correct torque, to hold the head so it does not get deformed against the case. (the bolts/ screws are white gold, the case SS)

Yes they could have been concealed, but the octagonal design of the bezel with external fastening are reflective of a ship's pothole, which was the inspiration for the watch.

I agree it's a poor design, Genta didn't have a clue what he was doing!!

So we're all in agreement that they're bolts then? Good, I'm glad that's settled.

They have a screw thread, they even have the appearance of a slotted screw head, but they don't screw into anything. They are a recessed bolt and the nut screws on.

Try and learn about watches.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    You may not like the look, but they are there to hold the sandwich of the case together front to back.
    The slot is necessary as it is used when tightening up the sandwich to the correct torque, to hold the head so it does not get deformed against the case. (the bolts/ screws are white gold, the case SS)
    Now that's interesting - I didn't know the bolts were gold, and therefore a lot softer than the case.

The flip side of this discussion is the unaligned bolts/screws holding a square B&R together. Unless the heads are slotted with exact reference to the thread, there's no guarantee that an even application of torque would result in aligned slots - and even then, it would depend on identical machining of whatever the screws go into (presumably the back half of the case). Some people like the unevenness, others think it looks unfinished. Their mileage, more than ever, may vary!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Now that's interesting - I didn't know the bolts were gold, and therefore a lot softer than the case.
    No indication that that is the case, Andrew. We've discussed materials on here plenty of times in the not-so-distant past, and each time, we debunk the myth that the 18 Karat gold used, is soft.
    More likely than not, the gold is work-hardened, which increases its level of hardness.
    Last edited by PJ S; 24th March 2015 at 12:28.