closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Case Back Removal Tool & Tools In General

Rolex Case Back Removal Tool & Tools In General

I am looking for a tool to remove the case back of specifically Rolex Oysters, Sub, GMT, Sea Dweller et el

Can anyone recommend a suitable tool for the job?

Also any recommendations on general watch tinkering tool kit would be welcomed

Thanks

Bergeon tools are decent

Banned
    There are many ways to open a case back. The sticky ball method for example. You could also try blue tack around the circumference of the back and then push the bottom of a glass against it and rotate. Unless the case is really tight it should come off. Whatever you do, take care and don't scratch anything....

http://www.watchtool.co.uk/bergeon-6...ar-p-6516.html

That site has a pretty comprehensive selection

You need a caseback tool - a hand wrench would do, but a press type is better though much more expensive - and a set of Rolex dies. This one from Cousins maybe.

Grand Master
    I`m a bit puzzled as to why the OP wants to open his Rolex?

Not something I`d advise a novice to do....and I`m guessing the OP's a novice by virtue of the questions.

As for sticky balls, yes they work on some casebacks but they won`t work on anything that's been done up tightly.

I bought a set of Rolex openers from ebay a couple of years back; they're reasonably OK but not top quality, they need using very carefully to avoid slipping/damage.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 6th April 2015 at 12:50.

Bergeon 5700 with the bergeon adapter and Rolex dies. Then buy the rubber upper suction dies. These tools will allow you to open any screw cased watches from any make without the chance of marking them. Jaxa and other hand versions are unsafe and cause way more damage than good.

If you have shallow pockets then either try another hobby or buy the Chinese fakes of the above, just don't expect them to last long term.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`m a bit puzzled as to why the OP wants to open his Rolex?
    Indeed - and is he aware of the need to pressure test the watch after the back has been off? Especially if he's talking about Submariners, Seadwellers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dom_ View Post
    If you have shallow pockets then either try another hobby or buy the Chinese fakes of the above, just don't expect them to last long term.
    My fear with the Chinese fakes would be less about how long they might last, and more about how likely they are to damage the Rolex's caseback.

Bergeon 5700 with the bergeon adapter and Rolex dies. Then buy the rubber upper suction dies. These tools will allow you to open any screw cased watches from any make without the chance of marking them. Jaxa and other hand versions are unsafe and cause way more damage than good.

What he said ^^^^

Banned

Is the Bergeon 2533 Watch Opener Tool Suction Case Opener any good?

http://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-253...ch-opener.aspx
    Last edited by GrandS; 6th April 2015 at 14:09.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post

Is the Bergeon 2533 Watch Opener Tool Suction Case Opener any good?

http://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-253...ch-opener.aspx
    Yep good bit of kit, better than balls that people use as the end twists with torsion when used and therefore adds more force than a ball. Still only works on roughly half the watches I try it on, so by default all modern high water resistance watches go on the 5700 and old dust proof cases get the 2533.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Indeed - and is he aware of the need to pressure test the watch after the back has been off? Especially if he's talking about Submariners, Seadwellers, etc.

My fear with the Chinese fakes would be less about how long they might last, and more about how likely they are to damage the Rolex's caseback.
    True, but the way the 5700 works you can't slip the tool due to the downward pressure backed up by the locking nut. Unless the fake case back dies are from a brittle or soft metal, then you are going to cause damage.

All

Thanks for the replies. It was the Bergeon that I was thinking of, however as oppose to ask, "Is it any good" I preferred to leave the question open to encourage more replies ;)

I am fully aware of the implications of removing the case back, however in certain circumstances it is only way to ensure that the watch is indeed what it is being advertised as!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash7 View Post
    All

Thanks for the replies. It was the Bergeon that I was thinking of, however as oppose to ask, "Is it any good" I preferred to leave the question open to encourage more replies ;)

I am fully aware of the implications of removing the case back, however in certain circumstances it is only way to ensure that the watch is indeed what it is being advertised as!
    So I guess the reason you're taking the backs off is to verify watches are genuine? All the more reason to be sure not to damage the caseback....the conversation with the seller would'nt go well after you've marked his watch.

Sounds like the only safe bet is the expensive tools, and you'll need to open a lot of casebacks (and buy a lot of watches) to make it worthwhile.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 7th April 2015 at 11:39.

Craftsman
    As someone who will be receiving their first rolex soon I would be far to scared to do this!

Journeyman
    If you open any watch, dont you need then to verify its water resistance? so not only one tool, but more. Hard to justify the cost if you are not a watchmaker.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    If you open any watch, dont you need then to verify its water resistance? so not only one tool, but more. Hard to justify the cost if you are not a watchmaker.
    Provided the caseback seal's in good condition and it's replaced carefully I would contend that you don`t need to test it's water resistance. However, it's a judgement call; O-ring caseback seals can assume an oval profile after being in place many years and sometimes they don`t go back in the same orientation. if the elasticity of the rubber has deteriorated you could then have a sealing problem. Best bet is to fit a new seal if you're in any doubt.

If I was selling a Rolex there's no way I`d allow anyone to take the back off, unless they were a repairer or an AD. Too much scope for it to end in tears.....and scope for the watch to lose it's water-resistance!

Paul

A 5700 Rolex dies and adapter plus a basic water resistance machine and you are running at a few thousand, you don't have to buy many to make it worthwhile.

How do you know the watches you are opening are water resistant to begin with? Even if freshly serviced and tested it is no guarantee. A small knock and the glass can stop being water resistant. Same with the crown and so on. You can't assume a watch is water resistant on receiving it.

I always test first unless doing a full refurb, as everything is replaced then anyway.