closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fortis - my favourite watch brand

This has been out of the rotation for the last couple of months (it's actually at the bank in the safe deposit bank currently, but I think I'm going to go fetch it tomorrow). I made the mistake of selling it once about five years ago, but fortunately got the opportunity to buy it back a year and a half later from the guy I'd sold it to. While in his care he added the OEM leather and rubber straps to the kit, so I paid more to get it back than I had sold it for. While it was away, I consoled myself by buying the Cosmonaut in the second picture. It went when I bought back the MarineMaster, but in retrospect I think I could have been happy in the long term with either (or both).

Master
    Another one here who sold a B-42 and regretted it somewhat. It felt like it was indestructible, such was the quality. I did find it rather heavy though, so maybe the titanium version should be on the 'want list'.

Master
    I must admit that this thread has really awakened an interest in Fortis - the pics on here look great - my new favourite brand as well?? Bit beyond my price point though....

I'm with Lee on this....

A poor snap of mine

Quote Originally Posted by Jan_DK View Post
    Here's one of mine:

what strap do you have there?? i have an off white dial chrono and like your strap

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    what strap do you have there?? i have an off white dial chrono and like your strap
    That's the Fortis rubber strap the watch came on.

I love my Fortis but I'd like the accuracy to be better. I saw somewhere that ETA 2824 came in Standard, Elabore, Top and Chronometre editions.
    Do anybody know prices of these, and what version Fortis normally put in this watch?

/Mogens

Rich Askham did a great service on my Flieger a while back, it came back with +/- 2 secs in a week....!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan_DK View Post
    Here's one of mine:

Very nice - love the white dial, very clean-looking.

Journeyman
    Many times I was almost to pull the trigger for a Fortis Flieger, but always I stopped because I thought it will not be as good as the Stowa and it will cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by deepo View Post

I love my Fortis but I'd like the accuracy to be better. I saw somewhere that ETA 2824 came in Standard, Elabore, Top and Chronometre editions.
    Do anybody know prices of these, and what version Fortis normally put in this watch?

/Mogens
    Oh, I just realised that it's an ETA 2836-2 moment (due to both day and date), so I don't know whether they come in different qualities.

/Mogens

Master
    ^^^
    that's great looking watch! is it 42mm or smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by deepo View Post
    Oh, I just realised that it's an ETA 2836-2 moment (due to both day and date), so I don't know whether they come in different qualities.

/Mogens
    They don't make a play of it, but I know they use the "Top" grade in the B42 range - would imagine similar as a standard across the range?
    Out of interest, I have had at least half a dozen (Some ETA, some Valjoux, one Lemania) and all ran within COSC out of the box, although Fortis don't certify any of them (AFAIK) them as chronometer.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Well that is a joy to look at very nice indeed looks really clean and I love the hands what size is it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackwibble View Post
    Well that is a joy to look at very nice indeed looks really clean and I love the hands what size is it?
    It's 44mm with bezel, 42 without.

Fortis are a classic case of, if they could only reduce the case size and keep the non bezel watches under 40mm then I would be more interested.

The legibility of the dial is second to none - they are just too big!

Quote Originally Posted by gregflat9 View Post
    It's 44mm with bezel, 42 without.

Fortis are a classic case of, if they could only reduce the case size and keep the non bezel watches under 40mm then I would be more interested.

The legibility of the dial is second to none - they are just too big!
    Cheers for the info that might be an issue!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackwibble View Post
    Oooh! That is nice! The more I see of Fortis, the more I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    ^^^
    that's great looking watch! is it 42mm or smaller?
    Thanks.

The model number is 595.22.41, it's called a Fortis Spacematic Pilot Professional Day/ Date.

The crystal is 37 mm across, and the whole watch is 40 mm across. I use a 20 mm nato strap now.

/Mogens

A Fortis was the first watch I really lusted after when I was a kid (15/16). I wanted the flieger alarm chronograph. I still don't have one. I do have this one though.

[IMG][/IMG]

It has some of the best lume of any of the watches I own, IMO Fortis are a very underrated brand, its nice to see them get some love.