closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Joys of a non-WIS

Joys of a non-WIS

Went into London yesterday with Mrs C with the express intention of buying her a well deserved timepiece from WoS.
    Before we got there she walked into a cheap & cheerful shop at the other end of the spectrum and walked out with this:

£16 pounds down and a very happy lady! Anyone else have totally non-WIS other halves?

Master
    Yep! Mine is over the moon with this

Master
    I love watches (don't like the term WIS really) but I'd be happy with that Illuminator .. there can be joy even in cheap Casios for the wristwatch enthusiast.

Master
    Bought the Mrs one of these (for considerably less than this price) a few years ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DW0701-Funct...%26G+watch+red

which she really likes and can't understand why an Omega costs so much more than D&G?!

My wife never even wears a watch.

Yep,
    Girlfriend bought a tiny watch on a leather bangle bracelet in India and eventually fell apart and she lost it.
    Found her this, she loves it

All of £2.99 with free P&P!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    This just isn't going to happen to me

Craftsman
    Wouldn't it be great if we aspired to buy and collect the cheapest watches we could find.

Master
    Oh, and my wife also said last night (after trying on my AT) she doesn't want an expensive watch because she's too clumsy with hers as it is and wouldn't want to damage it!

My wife has worn Seiko Sawtooth, Glycine Observer, Starck, Panerai Luminor, Timex Divemaster, G-Shock. She's tough on watches. All have needed serious attention when she's been through with them.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    My wife never even wears a watch.
    Ditto - though she enjoys watching me drool over the photos here!

Master
    My girlfriend wears either a 60s Omega Seamaster, an Omega Black Tulip from the early 80s, or a ladies stainless steel Vacheron Constantin 222. So that would be a no!

Mine wasn't bothered, until I bought her a Tissot for her birthday last year, fast forward to this year and she's making noises about getting 'matching rolex's'....

Quote Originally Posted by Chomega View Post
    Went into London yesterday with Mrs C with the express intention of buying her a well deserved timepiece from WoS.
    Before we got there she walked into a cheap & cheerful shop at the other end of the spectrum and walked out with this:

£16 pounds down and a very happy lady! Anyone else have totally non-WIS other halves?
    I bought my wife (aka the "Grim Reaper of Watches") that exact same model after she had successfully destroyed a half dozen or so other watches. So far the Casio is holding up.

I bought my wife a really nice vintage Thunderbird Datejust about 10 years ago, I had to return it as 'I'd feel terrified of getting mugged for something as stupid as a flashy watch' - I must admit I'm very lucky. Having worked as a fashion buyer she is well aware of the nonsense behind designer brands (having visited factories producing Armani and high street brands alongside each other on the same production lines) and as a result she is totally immune to branded goods. She actively avoids them really, same with handbags and designer shoes. Mind you, with her background she is able to buy the right bargains which look expensive because she has a knack for it!

Master
    My wife was who got me into this hobby when my in-laws to be bought me a 116200 as a wedding gift. Bloody lovely watch it is. Anyway, here is her current collection. The Rolex she got as a gift when she was 18:

Last edited by Schofie; 29th May 2015 at 13:56.

My father in law bought me a pint when I announced I was marrying his daughter, since that moment not a sausage! - in my world the concept of someone buying me something worth more than say £100 is completely alien - mind you I come from one of those families that kind of stop buying each other presents when we got jobs and left home. Little gifts and jokes, sure, but thousands of pounds worth of stuff? - nope, are we weird??!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    My father in law bought me a pint when I announced I was marrying his daughter, since that moment not a sausage! - in my world the concept of someone buying me something worth more than say £100 is completely alien - mind you I come from one of those families that kind of stop buying each other presents when we got jobs and left home. Little gifts and jokes, sure, but thousands of pounds worth of stuff? - nope, are we weird??!!
    Haha no mate, that's also my world especially on my side of the family. They were just very generous when we got married, they're an Asian family and apparently is tradition.

Plus 7 years ago the watch was almost half the price it is now!

Master
    my bird has quickly become a fan of watches and is responsible for encouraging me to make many of my purchases.

fortunately for me she has plenty of her own money and can choose to buy one whenever she likes.

I bought mine a Ladies bi-metal Datejust for her birthday a few years ago. She wears it rarely, preferring throwaway cheapies she buys from the market. She chooses the one that 'goes with her outfit' at the time.

I give up.

Master
    Offered her all sorts of nice watches, and she just isn't interested - refuses to wear a watch. I assume this is why she is always late

Doesn't wear them
    Doesn't care what time it is
    Can't understand why I would need more than one
    In fact, can't be trusted with a watch because they just stop after she puts one on.

I call her Uri...

It's my missus' 40th later this year.
    She said to me the other day "my Dad will start asking what I want for my birthday this year soon. I thought maybe I'd ask for a nice cutlery set"
    So I said "don't be silly love, we have lots of cutlery already, you should get yourself something really nice"
    She then said "hmm... Perhaps I should ask for a watch?"
    She already has a Cartier Tank and my old Raymond Weil.
    Not sure if she's winding me up...