closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DE shaving please educate me!

Master

DE shaving please educate me!

Hi guys

I used to wet shave many years ago with cheap bic and Gillette razors and I hated it as I would always cut myself and after shaving my skin would feel so tight, but I have seen a few threads on DE shaving so should I give it a go, I currently use a phillishave which is ok not close but it is quick and with no hassle like having to run a bowl of water, any advice would be much appreciated as I have no idea about wet shaving and please tell me what I need do I use a brush or do I use gel etc etc :) What razor do I buy as I have no idea ��

Thanks
    Last edited by andy armitage; 25th June 2015 at 19:44.

Journeyman
    Forgive the brief post but I wrote out a more detailed one and lost it.

Definitely shaving soap or cream and a shaving brush is the way to go. They needn't be expensive. Palmolive shaving stick that you can pick up in any supermarket is excellent value for money and really good quality too. A decent badger hair brush can be picked up reasonably cheaply. Peter at New Forest Brushes produces brushes at good prices.

http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.co.uk

As for what razor. Either a modern one such as the Merkur HD or Edwin Jagger DE89 are good choices. Or if you want to go vintage, any Gillette DE such as a Gillette Tech etc are good choices.

Mantic's videos that Sean linked to are a great resource.

Beware the rabbit hole though, it can be as addictive as watches.

If you don't mind a vintage razor, let me know and I can send you one along with a few packs of blades etc to get started.
    Last edited by Yellow Jim; 25th June 2015 at 20:14.

For many years I had problems (shaving rash) wet shaving, using multi blades and various canned gels etc - it was a unpleasant but necessary task.

I initially heard about DE shaving from this forum - and proceeded to research (read procrastinate) for another couple of years. All those horror stories about first time blood baths,cuts, blood transfusions etc etc. Enough to put the bravest soul off.

But everyone said, it was worth it in the end - but at what price I wondered ?

Eventually, I took the plunge - a cheapy Wilkinson Sword Classic - £4.95 including a pack of WS blades. A WS brush £4.20 and a 50p Palmolive soap stick

I was a more than a little apprehensive my first shave - all that talk about blood loss - and ....

it was as smooth as rough silk. Easy too. What the hell had these other people done to have cuts/nicks/blood I don't know, but I had no problem then, first shave or now.

I stuck with the plastic WS razor for a year and then went down the vintage Gillette razor route, getting different examples very cheaply from ebay. I've settled on a
    1938-41 Vintage Gillette Fat Handle Tech Safety Razor, which gives me a shave I'm happy with.

DE shaving has been one of the best decisions I've made.

However, I was almost put off by all the scare stories and the overwhelming number of options in regards to razor/soap

The best advice I could give is : Just get on with it and give it a go. It won't break the bank and almost any razor/soap you use will be fine - you can tinker when you get a bit more practice.

EDIT

I've tried other shave soaps and you just can't beat a 50p Palmolive shave stick

Nor a boar shave brush - why pay any more ?
    Last edited by oldandgrumpy; 25th June 2015 at 21:39.

Master
    Thanks for the replies :) the merkur razor looks pretty good to me are there any other brush options bar the Badger brush as I wouldn't want to use a brush with animal hair for obvious reasons.

I can only imagine that the rabbit hole well and truly exists and I know it would be so easy to fall down it 😊 Yellow Jim do you use a vintage razor and do you rate them as I am drawn to vintage but I would have no idea which one to go for!

It's great just go for it, my advice would be:
    If in a hard water area, get a cream Not a soap, it's much easier to lather nicely.
    Also I went for an EJ razor and am very happy with it.
    Here's my first attempt at equipment:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Razor-shaving
    I do like the Prorasso after shave lotion and sometimes uses an Alum block to see if I'm pressing too hard.
    Don't bother with a pre-shave oil just get your beard nice and wet and a nice lather and you're sorted.
    Good luck!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    For many years I had problems (shaving rash) wet shaving, using multi blades and various canned gels etc - it was a unpleasant but necessary task.

I initially heard about DE shaving from this forum - and proceeded to research (read prevaricate) for another couple of years. All those horror stories about first time blood baths,cuts, blood transfusions etc etc. Enough to put the bravest soul off.

But everyone said, it was worth it in the end - but at what price I wondered ?

Eventually, I took the plunge - a cheapy Wilkinson Sword Classic - £4.95 including a pack of WS blades. A WS brush £4.20 and a 50p Palmolive soap stick

I was a more than a little apprehensive my first shave - all that talk about blood loss - and ....

it was as smooth as rough silk. Easy too. What the hell had these other people done to have cuts/nicks/blood I don't know, but I had no problem then, first shave or now.

I stuck with the plastic WS razor for a year and then went down the vintage Gillette razor route, getting different examples very cheaply from ebay. I've settled on a
    1938-41 Vintage Gillette Fat Handle Tech Safety Razor, which gives me a shave I'm happy with.

DE shaving has been one of the best decisions I've made.

However, I was almost put off by all the scare stories and the overwhelming number of options in regards to razor/soap

The best advice I could give is : Just get on with it and give it a go. It won't break the bank and almost any razor/soap you use will be fine - you can tinker when you get a bit more practice.

EDIT

I've tried other shave soaps and you just can't beat a 50p Palmolive shave stick

Nor a boar shave brush - why pay any more ?
    Thanks for that post it does help as I am thinking is it worth the hassle with running the water and faffing about as I use a phillishave every day and I just switch it on and it does the job quickly and it seems ok BUT as I haven't experienced a proper wet shave I just feel that I need to try it, one question though if you have a DE razor how long does a blade last and how do you keep track of which side of the blade you have used more 😊

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    It's great just go for it, my advice would be:
    If in a hard water area, get a cream Not a soap, it's much easier to lather nicely.
    Also I went for an EJ razor and am very happy with it.
    Here's my first attempt at equipment:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Razor-shaving
    I do like the Prorasso after shave lotion and sometimes uses an Alum block to see if I'm pressing too hard.
    Don't bother with a pre-shave oil just get your beard nice and wet and a nice lather and you're sorted.
    Good luck!
    I am in a hard water area, there does seem to be a heck of a lot that goes into this wet shaving doesn't there :)

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I am in a hard water area, there does seem to be a heck of a lot that goes into this wet shaving doesn't there :)
    It's seems a bit daunting at first but you'll pick up it up easily and it's really a much better and nice way to shave. Although it does take a tad longer but it's worth it.
    One other tip would be, let the razor do the work, don't press hard at all. The alum helps here, if it stings a lot - you've been pressing too hard.
    Oh and in terms of blades I tend to favour the Gillette yellows - which are numbered! I basically use them once on each side (1-4) then discard. Cheap as chips and no nicks!
    Last edited by Thorien; 25th June 2015 at 21:46.

Master
    It's seems a bit daunting at first but you'll pick up it up easily and it's really a much better and nice way to shave. Although it does take a tad longer but it's worth it.
    One other tip would be, let the razor do the work, don't press hard at all. The alum helps here, if it stings a lot - you've been pressing too hard.
    Oh and in terms of blades I tend to favour the Gillette yellows - which are numbered! I basically use them once on each side (1-4) then discard. Cheap as chips and no nicks!
    Wow you just use them once each side! Ok so what I need to have is a list of stuff I need to buy and obviously not top of the range expensive stuff but decent stuff to get me started and to see if it suits me :) Am I right in thinking I need a razor, blades, brush, some sort of soap and is that it?

Wow you just use them once each side! Ok so what I need to have is a list of stuff I need to buy and obviously not top of the range expensive stuff but decent stuff to get me started and to see if it suits me :) Am I right in thinking I need a razor, blades, brush, some sort of soap and is that it?
    There a list of what I bought on that thread I linked but yep that's pretty much it to start with (cream not soap!) and maybe a mixing bowl - though you can lather on the face as well to begin with.

Journeyman
    You don't just use them once each side. Those numbers are stamped on the blade for production reasons, so they can keep check of the sides that have been honed in the factory. You alternate between sides during the shave, take one stroke on one side, then one on the other and then rinse the lather and stubble off, and repeat. Most people will typically get 3-4 shaves from a blade, although they are cheap enough that you could discard them after one.

I use both modern and vintage razors, although tend to favour the vintage ones. I've a stupid amount to choose from. Went a bit mad a few years back and scoured eBay for various models. Picked up a lot of rare and sought after varieties. Should cash them all in one day, I reckon I could afford a few decent watches if I did.

Stupidly I sold one really rare example that I managed to find completely unopened to one of the foremost Gillette collectors for a couple of hundred pound, that I've since seen change hands for 1000+.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...oneer-Old-Type
    Last edited by Yellow Jim; 25th June 2015 at 22:29.

To clarify! When I say once each side I mean - one shave per number (1-4) so 4 shaves per blade. So I'll do 2 shaves with top side (numbered 1-2) then flip the blade for the next 2 shaves (with sides 3-4 now on top). It's easy to know which side you've used when they are numbered. I don't shave every day, usually every other day, so one blade will last me a week.
    Last edited by Thorien; 25th June 2015 at 22:35.

Master
    To clarify! When I say once each side I mean - one shave per number (1-4) so 4 shaves per blade. So I'll do 2 shaves with top side (numbered 1-2) then flip the blade for the next 2 shaves (with sides 3-4 now on top). It's easy to know which side you've used when they are numbered. I don't shave every day, usually every other day, so one blade will last me a week.
    Ahhh sorry that was my mistake :) I just need a brush that doesn't use animal hair!

No worries, I wasn't very clear.
    I use either:
    http://www.shaving-shack.com/
    https://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/
    to buy what I need, there'll be loads of brushes to look at, should be some basic synthetic ones on these sites.

For a non animal brush, I can recommend the Muhle Synthetics.

http://connaughtshaving.com/mstfsb.html

Give it a go, as other people have said its not where near as scary as many people would make you think.

All of the above links to online shops are very good. The Edwin Jagger range are very good so pick one that you like the look of - I have a 89.
    I would recommend a sample pack of blades - Connaught do them. You would be amazed at how many are out there and how peoples views differ.
    After a while you WILL find that certain blades work better with certain shavers - weird I know but its true and what could be smooth a silk for you could be raspy and harsh for me.

Dont spend much on a brush - the boar and badger mix are very good Ive got a Grosvenor that was about £5 and works just as well , if not better than some of the £50 ones ( the wife got those so I have to use them!).
    And then you get into the world of soaps and creams - but the good old palmolvie stick for about £0.80 is very good.

And watch tyhe mantic Youtube videos that somebody posted - loads of great stuff in there.

Just take you time when it comes to the shave, enjoy it and you'll never look back.

Then register on a couple of forums and end up buying loads of kit from the buy/ sell area.

Sound familiar ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Give it a go, as other people have said its not where near as scary as many people would make you think.

All of the above links to online shops are very good. The Edwin Jagger range are very good so pick one that you like the look of - I have a 89.
    I would recommend a sample pack of blades - Connaught do them. You would be amazed at how many are out there and how peoples views differ.
    After a while you WILL find that certain blades work better with certain shavers - weird I know but its true and what could be smooth a silk for you could be raspy and harsh for me.

Dont spend much on a brush - the boar and badger mix are very good Ive got a Grosvenor that was about £5 and works just as well , if not better than some of the £50 ones ( the wife got those so I have to use them!).
    And then you get into the world of soaps and creams - but the good old palmolvie stick for about £0.80 is very good.

And watch tyhe mantic Youtube videos that somebody posted - loads of great stuff in there.

Just take you time when it comes to the shave, enjoy it and you'll never look back.

Then register on a couple of forums and end up buying loads of kit from the buy/ sell area.

Sound familiar ?
    Thanks so much for all the advice I am definitely going to try it out and I will get a synthetic brush and I won't spend too much to start with as I might hate all the hassle but if it gave me a great shave then who knows :)

I wanted to try DE shaving a few months ago but chickened out. Finally decided to make the leap and have just ordered the Edwin Jagger starter kit bundle from the English shaving company. Slightly nervous but can't wait to give it a go!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joebromley View Post
    I wanted to try DE shaving a few months ago but chickened out. Finally decided to make the leap and have just ordered the Edwin Jagger starter kit bundle from the English shaving company. Slightly nervous but can't wait to give it a go!
    That looks like a nice little kit and they do a synthetic brush as well :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by joebromley View Post
    That is the kit I bought myself at Christmas and I have not looked back. Its really easy to get a great shave, just do not rush the process!

Just looking at getting a Feather AS-D2 now as I have convinced myself I need a ridiculous priced razor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    That is the kit I bought myself at Christmas and I have not looked back. Its really easy to get a great shave, just do not rush the process!

Just looking at getting a Feather AS-D2 now as I have convinced myself I need a ridiculous priced razor.
    What is a Feather AS-D2 :) I like the look of that kit but I would get the synthetic brush as I won't buy one that uses animal hair.

Craftsman
    The Feather AS-D2 is in the link below;

http://www.shaving.ie/products/feath...azor-asd2.html

Whilst my EJ89 is great, a description like this has made me realise I need one ;-), you know the feeling....

"The Feather All Stainless Steel double edge safety razor sets the bar high in terms of quality and craftsmanship. Feather of Japan have invested much time in developing these precision made safety razors and the end result is the perfect blend of true Japanese workmanship, precision engineering and most importantly superb functionality. These razors are made entirely of stainless steel which requires high levels of skill and knowledge to work with. The Feather Stainless razor is a 3 piece razor for those who appreciate fine craftsmanship and high quality instruments."

I use the AS-D2 most days - works great for me with Feather blades...

Keep an eye on ebay - I got mine - new - from a seller in Poland which saved me a few quid on the UK prices for it.

I am also up for the latest kickstarter from Thomas Clipper with a Mark 2 razor kit, wooden bowl etc etc

Cream wise I love the Lime Taylors of London - you can buy it from Amazon/ mankind etc etc - about 9 quid a large tub lasts ages...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    I use the AS-D2 most days - works great for me with Feather blades...

Keep an eye on ebay - I got mine - new - from a seller in Poland which saved me a few quid on the UK prices for it.

I am also up for the latest kickstarter from Thomas Clipper with a Mark 2 razor kit, wooden bowl etc etc

Cream wise I love the Lime Taylors of London - you can buy it from Amazon/ mankind etc etc - about 9 quid a large tub lasts ages...
    Thanks Matt. Ive just been browsing the Thomas Clipper website and am impressed with the whole set-up. Lovely products and strong branding, thanks for the heads up.

I prefer the Merkur Futur to the Feather ASD2 but am currently back using my straight razors. The best think about DE shaving is when you are shopping you can laugh everytime you see the price of those Gillette multiple blade cartridge refills. The Mach 4 or whatever it is now is one of the biggest cons ever.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    The Feather AS-D2 is in the link below;

http://www.shaving.ie/products/feath...azor-asd2.html

Whilst my EJ89 is great, a description like this has made me realise I need one ;-), you know the feeling....

"The Feather All Stainless Steel double edge safety razor sets the bar high in terms of quality and craftsmanship. Feather of Japan have invested much time in developing these precision made safety razors and the end result is the perfect blend of true Japanese workmanship, precision engineering and most importantly superb functionality. These razors are made entirely of stainless steel which requires high levels of skill and knowledge to work with. The Feather Stainless razor is a 3 piece razor for those who appreciate fine craftsmanship and high quality instruments."
    Ahh ok thanks :) I think what would be best for me is a decent starter kit but not too expensive as I might just hate all the hassle so is that starter kit that was mentioned earlier in the thread a good one to buy?

Ahh ok thanks :) I think what would be best for me is a decent starter kit but not too expensive as I might just hate all the hassle so is that starter kit that was mentioned earlier in the thread a good one to buy?
    I thought I was in the same boat but once you get going you realise it's no hassle at all. Daft as it sounds , it becomes therapeutic and the results are brilliant.
    As a greenhorn when I first started, I did nick myself a couple of times but now it's really really simple and I've got it off ( relatively) to a tee.

The Feather AS D2 is a superb piece of precision engineering. The shaving equivalent of a Grand Seiko. I went through an Edwin Jagger, a Merkur Futur and many different blades while I got the hang of DE shaving, before I settled on the Feather and Feather blades.

The only things that I would avoid are Parker razors and Derby blades, both for the same reason - they're inconsistent. Otherwise, just experiment and decide what you like. As far as creams are concerned, you won't go far wrong with any of the "Three T's" - Trumpers, Taylors of Bond Street, or Truefitt and Hill.

If you're anywhere near Hungerford the Gentleman's Shop (opposite the BMW dealers) is worth a visit.

Master
    Crikey I have just googled the price of the Feather AS D2!!!!! It is quite expensive isn't it :)

I should try out one of those starter kits first shouldn't I to see if I like wet shaving?

I bought my Feather secondhand for £100. and the blades are a few pence each. The razor doesn't have any moving parts, and cannot wear out, so it's a one-off expense.

It might seem expensive, but when you work out the cost of shaving with disposable cartridges, it puts it into perspective.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I bought my Feather secondhand for £100. and the blades are a few pence each. The razor doesn't have any moving parts, and cannot wear out, so it's a one-off expense.

It might seem expensive, but when you work out the cost of shaving with disposable cartridges, it puts it into perspective.
    I am sure you are right but as it will be my first foray into this I am hoping that Edwin Jagger DE89 razor might be a good enough razor to start off with.

Master
    I am sure you are right but as it will be my first foray into this I am hoping that Edwin Jagger DE89 razor might be a good enough razor to start off with.
    My EJ DE89 is a very good razor, and use it in preference to a couple of others that I have, including Parkers and Muhle.

For a good starter any of the Merkurs would be perfect..

(ouch just seen the WS-D1s - even more pricey - even I might draw the line there )

Have a look at connaught shaving

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/

I suggest something like:

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/merkur34c.html

Cheers

Matt

Master
    I just need the right starter pack but which one!

Craftsman
    Feather blades are a must!

Also these soaps are some of the best around

http://mamabearssoaps.com

Come from America, I order a 4-5 at a time makes the shipping worth while.

I say go for it as I too got into DE shaving as a result of reading a few threads on here, and I can honestly say that it has turned a chore into a pleasure.

However, like many before me I got way too much "stuff" way too fast and I now have enough of everything to last me the next 50 years.

I'd recommend getting one razor (the DE89 is a good choice IMO), one cream as creams are easier to lather (I'd recommend Proraso, any flavour) and one blade (Astra SP would be my choice) and stick with that for at least a month. In the early days I changed something every shave convinced it was a better product/combination when the only thing getting better was my technique. I can now get a decent shave with products I thought were crap in the beginning.

.... oh, and get some Alcolado Glacial aftershave splash. If you don't like it there's something wrong with you, and if you do like it then there's something even more wrong with you - I love it, so there's definitely something wrong with me.

Rich.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_101 View Post
    I say go for it as I too got into DE shaving as a result of reading a few threads on here, and I can honestly say that it has turned a chore into a pleasure.

However, like many before me I got way too much "stuff" way too fast and I now have enough of everything to last me the next 50 years.

I'd recommend getting one razor (the DE89 is a good choice IMO), one cream as creams are easier to lather (I'd recommend Proraso, any flavour) and one blade (Astra SP would be my choice) and stick with that for at least a month. In the early days I changed something every shave convinced it was a better product/combination when the only thing getting better was my technique. I can now get a decent shave with products I thought were crap in the beginning.

.... oh, and get some Alcolado Glacial aftershave splash. If you don't like it there's something wrong with you, and if you do like it then there's something even more wrong with you - I love it, so there's definitely something wrong with me.

Rich.
    Hi Rich

Right then I am going to go with your recommendations and I will get the products you mention as I don't want to get too much stuff too soon so I can get the DE89 razor and a Proraso cream do I need a shaving brush or does the cream go straight onto the face?

You would be much better off with a brush, Andy. And have a look at some of Mantic's YouTube videos. As far as a bowl is concerned, I just use a cappucino cup.

If you don't want to use a badger brush there are good synthetic alternatives available.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    You would be much better off with a brush, Andy. And have a look at some of Mantic's YouTube videos. As far as a bowl is concerned, I just use a cappucino cup.

If you don't want to use a badger brush there are good synthetic alternatives available.
    That's great as I don't want to use a Badger brush so I will get a synthetic ome, so I assume that I get a small bowl and put some Creme in it and lather it with a brush?

Master
    Hi Andy, I've on,y got into DE shaving the last 6 months and I'd personally never go back to cartridge shaving. It does take at least a dozen shaves to get the hang of things and expect a few nicks but the more you practice the better the shave gets.
    Take a look at www.themodernman.co.uk they have a good range and I know the owner very well and can get decent discount let me know if I can help

Craftsman
    Can you get any discount on a Merkur 700 Futur Adjustable Double Edge Safety Razor Matt (90 700 002) ? Could do with replacing mine..

That's great as I don't want to use a Badger brush so I will get a synthetic ome, so I assume that I get a small bowl and put some Creme in it and lather it with a brush?
    Yep, any bowl will do, add an almond sized blob of cream and with a moist brush you'll have a decent lather in about 30-45 seconds - especially with Proraso, as it's one of the easiest creams to lather in my experience.

As others have said, watch a few Youtube videos by Mantic or Geofatboy and you'll get all the info you need on lathering and shaving technique.

Rich.

This thread has got me looking at new videos and I'm considering buying a Mongoose razor now! DOH!
    This hobby, a bit like watches, can get expensive! :-)

DE is just a stepping stone to straights. Then you are into the joys of new or vintage razors, strops, hones etc.
    A DE shave is miles better than a cartridge shave but shaving with a straight is another experience again. DE shaving doesn't have to be expensive over the long term as long as you don't decide that you need more than 1 badger shaving brush and lots of razors.