closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strange Speedmaster Chronograph Quirk

Master

Strange Speedmaster Chronograph Quirk

I have recently bought a new reference hesalite/steel Moonwatch. The equivalent of the old 3570 but in the crazy new box. I've had it a couple of months and the watch has been running great, but I noticed a week or so ago that the hour register of the chrono was hitting it's markers about 10 to 15 minutes early. It wouldn't pass the next marker before the hour was up, but it would reach it a bit too soon which, coupled with a 30 minute register for the minutes, made glancing at the chrono's progress a little confusing.

I was on the verge of taking it to the boutique on Oxford Street to get their opinion. For an unrelated reason, I left the chronograph running for the whole of the weekend just gone - about 65 hours non-stop. It seems that since then, it's hitting it's markers bang on.

Is this a weird coincidence do you think or can someone with a better knowledge of this movement explain why this might have occurred?

I should add that the chrono hands are aligned perfectly - they reset to zero bang on, all three.

Thanks in advance.

Master
    I had a different issue with mine and the chrono function, but the first thing I was asked to do was to let the chrono run for a while to see if that solved it. I can't give you any more technical input than that. It didn't solve the issue with mine and it was resolved under warranty but there is obviously something that can be "reset" given the first course of action I was asked to undertake.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    I had a different issue with mine and the chrono function, but the first thing I was asked to do was to let the chrono run for a while to see if that solved it. I can't give you any more technical input than that. It didn't solve the issue with mine and it was resolved under warranty but there is obviously something that can be "reset" given the first course of action I was asked to undertake.
    Thanks. I'm playing with it again and I think there's some sort of variable at play as it's just hit it's first hour marker 10 minutes early again. Off to Omega I go I think.

Ive had a Speedy did the same. That one and another also the hour hand re-set very slightly to the right of 12 .....its re-set position. I took it as a quirk of the movement and it never bothered me. However aa you say once its running it can make reading the ellapsed time a little tricky.

Interesting to see what others say about this.

gs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    Ive had a Speedy did the same. That one and another also the hour hand re-set very slightly to the right of 12 .....its re-set position. I took it as a quirk of the movement and it never bothered me. However aa you say once its running it can make reading the elapsed time a little tricky.
    That's interesting - again I've been playing around with it more and it always resets perfectly to 12, however it occasionally jumps the chrono hour hand very slightly to the left or the right when you pause the chronograph. This movement is then carried forward when you restart the chrono so it can reduce or exacerbate the offset. I think I was also incorrect in my assumption that it doesn't pass the hour marker early - it does in fact carry on the offset in to the next hour.

It feels like there's a little 'slop' in the chronograph. If it was normal behaviour I feel like I'd find more discussion about it but Googling flags up just one or two other people discussing it online. Will see what Omega say on Friday.