closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bremont?

Journeyman

Bremont?

I am really torn by the brand Bremont.

There is something I really used to like about Bremont and was very tempted a while back by an MB. However personally I am glad I never bought it.

There is something slightly gimmicky and overpriced about them now, they obviously made a mistake with their in-house movement, but now they sold in places like Mr.Porter which I personally see as just a purely commercial move

Am intrigued to know what other people think.

Master
    I got an MBII recently and was very pleasantly surprised by it (not that i was expecting it to be rubbish of course). A solid, well made, very nice watch. I don't bother too much for the "heritage" of watches, most are now owned by several of the large chains anyway so not sure how much I buy into their history when buying a modern piece.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    I got an MBII recently and was very pleasantly surprised by it (not that i was expecting it to be rubbish of course). A solid, well made, very nice watch. I don't bother too much for the "heritage" of watches, most are now owned by several of the large chains anyway so not sure how much I buy into their history when buying a modern piece.
    Do love the coloured sides of the MBII, do think they have a come up with a nice touch there

Craftsman
    I was really impressed on seeing one in the flesh, but they remind me a bit of Jack Wills and Superdry, some of the products are great but the branding just puts me off. There is something I can't quite put my finger on, almost like its focused grouped, to death, let's pick an image and create a message round that, but with nothing of substance behind that image.
    Like you I almost pulled the trigger on a I think it was called a Solo ? (it had orange ring around the case) loved the watch just did not buy the brand...

I LOVE Bell & Ross who are arguably the same, guess it's just fickle old me :D

Too much money for not enough horology or heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilddyan View Post

Am intrigued to know what other people think.
    You could always use the search function....

I think some of the watches they make are nice.
    Some of the watches come across as a bit franklin mint.
    Trying to peddle off the in-house movement debacle as little more than an an honest mistake guv is disingenous and pretty much unforgivable at this stage of the game . From this point of view the bros do come across as shysters despite their carefully honed image of foppish enthusiasm.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post

I think some of the watches they make are nice.
    Some of the watches come across as a bit franklin mint.
    Trying to peddle off the in-house movement debacle as little more than an an honest mistake guv is disingenous and pretty much unforgivable at this stage of the game . From this point of view the bros do come across as shysters despite their carefully honed image of foppish enthusiasm.
    Really well put! I was drawn in when I first saw their watches on the motorbike adventures, but now "disingenuous" is always close to my thoughts when I see or hear Bremont.

Didn't someone just say that?

Gosh, what a radical thought.
    What would flame throwers do if they can't drag up same old contentious issues time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    What I meant to say was I'm getting a strange feeling of déjà vu...

What I meant to say was I'm getting a strange feeling of déjà vu...
    I think the correct expression is déjà vu again and again.
    Or as Yankee hitter Yogi Berra would say 'Deja vu all over again'.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    déjà vu

Hmm, yes. May be we are all just stuck in an endless time loop.

Craftsman

Regards,
    Adam

I think the correct expression is déjà vu again and again.
    Or as Yankee hitter Yogi Berra would say 'Deja vu all over again'.
    Or deja moo (the feeling that you've been kicked in the face by this cow before).

I think it's Déjà Poo; the feeling that you've heard this shit before.

I've always thought they look very overpriced and somehow 'under designed' and a little gimmicky. Personally I have no interest in the aviation angle of many of their models (a bit Walter Mitty for me) and as an Englishman their 'run by posh brothers with floppy hair' schtick just irritates me - but I appreciate it may well be more effective across the pond. There is an AD near me and I've seen many in their window, even tried a couple on - and only a few weeks ago spotted someone on my train wearing one. Unfortunately it just looked a bit cheap and generic and until I managed to make out the brand name on the dial I assumed it was a cheap fashion watch!

I think there's an echo in here
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I've always thought they look very overpriced and somehow 'under designed' and a little gimmicky. Personally I have no interest in the aviation angle of many of their models (a bit Walter Mitty for me) and as an Englishman their 'run by posh brothers with floppy hair' schtick just irritates me - but I appreciate it may well be more effective across the pond. There is an AD near me and I've seen many in their window, even tried a couple on - and only a few weeks ago spotted someone on my train wearing one. Unfortunately it just looked a bit cheap and generic and until I managed to make out the brand name on the dial I assumed it was a cheap fashion watch!
    As opposed to an expensive fashion watch?!

Blog Entries
    Echo and the Bunnymen?

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman
    Personally I have no interest in the aviation angle of many of their models (a bit Walter Mitty for me) and as an Englishman their 'run by posh brothers with floppy hair' schtick just irritates me
    You've nailed it on the head for me, the feeling is more about brand presence and building the Bremont brand rather then watch function. Could be said though for most brand now though

I tried a MBII at a local jewellers last week. Nice enough but no way would I be paying full RRP for it or any of the Bremont range for that matter.The quality and fit and finish for me just did not justify the high price ( as well as the ETA movement).

As a brand, I feel Bremont have lost their way somewhat, ridiculous 'special editions' containing fragments of 'unobtanium' , their unrealistic pricing structure and as mentioned before, their brand positioning, and that's before we even mention their lack of history .

It seems to me their attitude is too attempt to pull in gullible punters from across the pond with their fanciful brand story telling.

Master
    I know they have their fans, but I just don't like the looks - kind of retro, but not the sort of retro that appeals. Fussy dials, but not impressive. And the prices are at least 10 times what I'd pay.

Master
    I like their watches, solid, well built and MBII, or ALT1-C are nice watches. Issue for me is PRICE....way way way too high....

Overpriced and tacky, but sure looks cool in the movie Kingsman Secret Service

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I like their watches, solid, well built and MBII, or ALT1-C are nice watches. Issue for me is PRICE....way way way too high....
    I agree, those are both good looking watches but the prices.

I have recently fallen in love with Bremont watches. Especially the 43mm Solo CR. The build quality and attention to detail is remarkable. Even their simple calf strap feels fantastic. So one thing you can't knock them for is quality. I like the fact that most of their models are very understated, I've seen them so many times at the AD on display but always felt underwhelmed, until I actually tried one on and handled it.

Regarding the pricing, yes they are expensive, not sure if the COSC certification justifies that it has essentially just a 100-350 quids movement inside...

But then again, it is a luxury brand, and they can't price themselves any lower or they would loose their luxury status. I think what bothers me most are the gimmicks with made up history and stuff like that... Why can't they just make it simple - every gentleman should own one and that's that....

.... Silly me.

Echo?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I have recently fallen in love with Bremont watches. Especially the 43mm Solo CR. The build quality and attention to detail is remarkable. Even their simple calf strap feels fantastic. So one thing you can't knock them for is quality. I like the fact that most of their models are very understated, I've seen them so many times at the AD on display but always felt underwhelmed, until I actually tried one on and handled it.
    I had the opposite experience. I really liked the look of the Solo, but when I tried one on, not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Too much money for not enough horology or heritage.
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYep!

I have no problem with most of what you say even if I don't nt agree entirely but I own three of their watches and they are exquisitely finished and don't feel cheap at all. All three are dive watches and while the design and looks are not entirely novel, they are not generic at all. They have several good looking models which Ofcourse I wouldn't buy at full price but at more reasonable prices on preowned market.
    I do accept that they might be more palatable to people from across the pond but not because they are more gullible and get taken in by their story but because for those across the pond they come with less baggage. I think the pervasive self loathing makes it very difficult for people in UK to appreciate anything from UK.
    They hate their royal family, their politicians, their TV, their education, their sportsmen and every one else. Would be unrealistic to expect it to be any different with the watch makers.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 24th July 2015 at 16:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I think it's Déjà Poo; the feeling that you've heard this shit before.
    I like it! I must try and remember that so I can use it on other forums, pretending that I thought of it!

They have several good looking models which Ofcourse I wouldn't buy at full price but at more reasonable prices on preowned market.
    I do accept that they might be more palatable to people from across the pond but not because they are more gullible and get taken in by their story but because for those across the pond they come with less baggage. I think the pervasive self loathing makes it very difficult for people in UK to appreciate anything from UK.
    They hate their royal family, their politicians, their TV, their education, their sportsmen and every one else. Would be unrealistic to expect it to be any different with the watch makers.
    I have to agree whole heartedly with you on that. I'm not one who "tried it on but didnt like it" but actually owned one(an orange barrel MBII), wore it, then flipped it for another watch that i can't remember now, regretted it, and hunted for another identical model. Found one, queued 3 hours for it (don't ask) and now happy even though I've to send it back under warranty (great customer service though)

I can emphatise with the whole self-loathing part when it comes to nationalistic pride - I'd feel the same way if my country had a homegrown and home produced timepiece brand. (Well it sort of does but it didn't really go places - see what I mean??)

Well I'm English and I think Bremont make great watches and I own the U2 blue. Stunning watch. I did however manage to get it on a great deal from an AD in Bangkok.

Have to agree with the comments of the others here about all this regurgitated hate that appears every couple of months or so. When I saw the OP I had to double check it wasn't another old thread and I'm quite a newbie here!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jellytots View Post
    Found one, queued 3 hours for it (don't ask)
    Sorry, I have to! Go on, how come?

Oh, another Bremont thread...great 😴

I love the Solo and the ALT1-C, great looking watches. Good size at 43mm, wear comfortably and great finish. Like many brands if you buy new you'll take a hit if you decide to sell on. Buy pre-owned and they can be good value.

I never ever liked Bremont I swear

Aww let's talk about Seiko vs Rolex instead

gs

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Oh, another Bremont thread...great 😴
    Now that's a boring post!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    Aww let's talk about Seiko vs Rolex instead
    Good idea - I haven't been bored enough today with this forum's stupid brand-obsessive mud-slinging.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Good idea - I haven't been bored enough today with this forum's stupid brand-obsessive mud-slinging.
    Amen.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Wilddyan View Post
    Now that's a boring post!
    Not as boring as another generic Bremont thread! A quick search of the forum will give you just about everyone's views, including mine, on Bremont, the marketing, the brothers, the quality, the customer service, limited editions and the in-house movement.

A little teaser for the curious but hard of searching

http://professionalwatches.com/2014/...-movement.html
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Khoma View Post
    Overpriced and tacky, but sure looks cool in the movie Kingsman Secret Service
    I rather fancy I'll watch that again today,

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Not as boring as another generic Bremont thread! A quick search of the forum will give you just about everyone's views, including mine, on Bremont, the marketing, the brothers, the quality, the customer service, limited editions and the in-house movement.
    Strange that so many people have responded so such a boring post hey!!!

Please listen to what the CEO of IWC, Kern, said in Zurich.
    I think it clears, may I say unexpectedly, all the BS stuff about heritage in a watch company.
    I saved it and kept as a reminder for myself:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post
    I think it clears, may I say unexpectedly, all the BS stuff about heritage in a watch company.

1st half of video was very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post

That was a very interesting and refreshingly frank take on what is essentially a "useless industry" from none other than the CEO of one of the industry leaders himself. Thank you for that, it certainly does remind us not to take all this "brand heritage" too seriously and get off our high horses sometimes.

Some companies dont see the need to, like Sinn for example, and focus mainly on the quality of the product to sell itself. Others like to create that emotional and evocative link to their products. Fine. There is no good or bad, right or wrong way.

Indeed it is all about creating the demand for a luxury product - the jewels of watches we own and crave for are no more than bits of material assembled together to give us an emotional and evocative semblance of time anyway.