closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I just can't get a break... SMPc Bezel wonkiness

Craftsman

I just can't get a break... SMPc Bezel wonkiness

So today I receive my black Omega SMPc, first thing I do is give the bezel a whirl and my heart sank. The bezel does not feel nice at all (this is something I checked in the boutique), it's very scratchy and inconsistent, there's also some play and it does not line up precisely - the top triangle does not sit at 12 o'clock but sits either side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX-kpj-3DnI

I've gotten in touch with Iconic, but what was supposed to be something special for me, has now just turned into an arseache. I know things happen but I've just sent one watch back to HK after owning it a few days, and I don't even last 30 mins with this before it's in a box ready to be sent back.

You poor chap, not having much luck in the luxury watch market at the moment. you have my sympathy, as it is annoying when a special thing turns out to be anything but

Hard luck sir. The video is private, but the bezel doesn't look too bad in the second picture to be honest. But if you've noticed something off, chances are it'll always catch your eye.
    Actually at second glance it does seem quite off at the "3" marker, I thought it might have been that parallax thingy people talk about.
    Last edited by jimmbob; 9th September 2015 at 13:26.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Hard luck sir. The video is private, but the bezel doesn't look too bad in the second picture to be honest (With regards to it lining up). But if you've noticed something off, chances are it'll always catch your eye.
    Vid sorted now, in all honesty it feels like a bag of arse. The one I tried in the boutique was much more confidence inspiring. It looks like it's been taken off and not attached properly.

Yeah working now. Seems to be quite a bit of play between the bezel and case. Though I think it's meant to have a little bit to stop it scraping. I'm not being an apologist, if it ain't right send it back. My SMP Bond had a little play, but nothing as noticeable as that, but it's a different watch arguably.

Quote Originally Posted by Janesy B View Post
    It looks like it's been taken off and not attached properly.
    Could be something in that, yes the marker looks low at '3' but also at '9', suggesting it isn't actually sat perfectly around the crystal, but sagging down elliptically

Craftsman
    I hate it when buying a new watch delivers more pain than pleasure...and it happens all the time.

Master
    I really feel for you. I purchased a SMPc chrono a couple of months ago and sent it back because there was a tiny speck of dust on the dial.

It kind of ruins the whole feeling when something like this happens and I totally understand.

If your happy try to get a replacement or obviously get a refund.

In my case they offered to send it to Omega to get it fixed but to me it was tarnished so sent it back for a refund.

Craftsman
    They're going to get it collected and replaced, so hopefully all will be well soon.

Master
    Hmmm, I have mine on at the moment, a couple of years old and I am the second owner, but nowhere near as much play as yours. The triangle on mine also sits just to the right of the 12, but I have to say it's so close I can live with it. (And I have OCD about bezel triangles being at 12!!)
    I'm presuming that the watch came new from iconic, and if so you'll have a warranty.
    Are you anywhere near a boutique?? If so I would call in and see what they say. I have only ever experienced excellent service in the Omega boutiques and there are plenty of other on here who would agree with me on that. They may even be able to sort it out for you there and then.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    Hmmm, I have mine on at the moment, a couple of years old and I am the second owner, but nowhere near as much play as yours. The triangle on mine also sits just to the right of the 12, but I have to say it's so close I can live with it. (And I have OCD about bezel triangles being at 12!!)
    I'm presuming that the watch came new from iconic, and if so you'll have a warranty.
    Are you anywhere near a boutique?? If so I would call in and see what they say. I have only ever experienced excellent service in the Omega boutiques and there are plenty of other on here who would agree with me on that. They may even be able to sort it out for you there and then.
    Yeah I am quite fussy as well and if Iconic weren't going to play ball I would have went down to the Regent St boutique and have a chat. I've not seen one this bad so even if it's in 'tolerance' it's still a crap copy. It's got an AD stamp from a dealer in Italy, but Iconic are being good about it and hopefully I'll be a happy Seamaster owner by next week.

Banned
    Something definitely a miss with that bezel, far to much bezel play in the video you recorded, worryingly to much play and with the makers not even lining up correctly, for such a normally well built watch something is definitely amiss

I feel your pain.

Great they are replacing it. You'll be without it for a good while if Omega get their hands on it. I wish I'd have had a refund on my PO when I had the chance.

What is it about aligning bezel inserts correctly? - so many seem to be out of whack, I've read so many comments about this over the years with Rolex, Omega - it would seem to me (as a layman with no watchmaking experience)to be one of the easiest things to get right at the point of manufacture, but they seem to get it wrong regularly. Where's the quality control? Isn't there a machine that can be set within a certain parameter and check bezel alignment on the production line?

Craftsman
    My SMP Chrono bezel used to line up perfectly till I whacked it off a door frame, now it has some "slop" in the mechanism a bit like the one in the OP. Mine is 16 years old, I would be proper annoyed if it was like it from the box.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    What is it about aligning bezel inserts correctly? - so many seem to be out of whack, I've read so many comments about this over the years with Rolex, Omega - it would seem to me (as a layman with no watchmaking experience)to be one of the easiest things to get right at the point of manufacture, but they seem to get it wrong regularly. Where's the quality control? Isn't there a machine that can be set within a certain parameter and check bezel alignment on the production line?
    I`ve refitted bezel inserts to plenty of SMPs, and they can be tricky to get absolutely right, especially if the bezel's a bit worn and has slightly more freeplay than it had originally. The only technique I`ve found to work consistently is to fit the bezel without the spring, then fit the insert with the bezel on the watch. The bezel is then removed to allow the spring to be fitted, then the whole assembly is pressed back onto the watch. All things being equal, it'll be aligned correctly, but if it isn`t it has to be removed and refitted.

It takes a little time and care to get it right, but IMO there's no excuse for the manufacturers to get it wrong on new watches given the prices being charged. I guess they rely on the fact that 99% of buyers won`t notice a slight misalignment. As for having a machine to check, the best check is a critical human eye.......I can spot misaligned hands or bezels at a glance, it isn`t rocket science!

Paul

Craftsman
    How that can that bezel get through their rigid testing? Kind of scary.

I would be gutted if this happened to me, so annoying. Hope you can get a good one this time!

Master
    This is clearly a factory defect that didn't noticed by the QC... Totally unacceptable, Sorry for the hassle You're having Mate... I have the same hiccups with my watch that was recently service by Omega. My Omega GMT 2234.50 came back after a full service in a stunning condition but I think the Watchmaker was having a bad day when He/She was dealing with my Bezel... It is now Uni-directional Instead of Bi... So, I'll have to send it back again...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    My Omega GMT 2234.50 came back after a full service in a stunning condition but I think the Watchmaker was having a bad day when He/She was dealing with my Bezel... It is now Uni-directional Instead of Bi... So, I'll have to send it back again...
    They've fitted the wrong bezel spring! One type allows uni-directional rotation and one doesn`t. I didn`t know this till I had a GMT in recently for a new bezel. I thought the spring was damaged but the new bezel came with a replacement which was identical. At a glance, both types of spring look the same.

Paul

My first SMP bought from an AD had a wonky '6' marker so that had to go back and was replaced. My third one had a bezel like yours. I rang Goldsmiths (I didn't buy it from them) and they said if I took it in their watchman would whip it off and either fettle it or improve it or tell me it was knackered. When I took it in the same watchman said he wouldn't touch it unless I paid for a service! So that was a 40 mile round trip I'll never get back.

I've had loads of Seikos with mis-aligned bezels and I always remove the bezel and then the insert, then refit the bezel and finally the insert. It can take a few goes but it's not difficult.

It's a huge ballache when it happens and I agree it has to go back.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 10th September 2015 at 12:08.

Blog Entries
    Try taking to the omega boutique Bond Street? I think they have an onsite repair man there. Is it still in warranty?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Try taking to the omega boutique Bond Street? I think they have an onsite repair man there. Is it still in warranty?
    I would have done that but Iconic have been very good and agreed to swap it. I work in Holborn so I've got two Omega boutiques within a 20 min walk if I have any further issues. My concern is that the watch could have taken a hefty knock to cause the bezel issue, so then other issues could manifest in the future. It's clearly either been missed by QC or someone's been cocking about with it.

Journeyman
    Is this common on this watch ... As I was looking to buy

Craftsman
    No, I was just unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by karlamanda View Post
    Is this common on this watch ... As I was looking to buy
    Not common at all, I've never seen one with an issue before when looking at pics or in windows, and mine is perfectly centered - unlike the owner ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    They've fitted the wrong bezel spring! One type allows uni-directional rotation and one doesn`t. I didn`t know this till I had a GMT in recently for a new bezel. I thought the spring was damaged but the new bezel came with a replacement which was identical. At a glance, both types of spring look the same.

Paul
    Yeah, exactly what Archer said. Definitely a bad day when the Watchmaker was trying to fit it back...

Craftsman
    Replacement received yesterday, it's not 100% bang on but it does depend on the angle that you look at it and it's not miles off like it was before and there's virtually no play - I took it to Omega yesterday to get the bracelet resized and they confirmed it's all okay - but if it's really bothering me (which it isn't) they'd send it off to their service dept for a closer look (don't know if they could do it in store at Regent St or Bond St or it would be sent off - should have asked).

It's a lot better. It now just remains to be seen if you can live with it.

^ Gratz - glad it's finally sorted, it you want to change up the look in the future try the rubber:

Also my bezel was off slightly as well but I took it to the Omega boutique at Westfield (Stratford) and they realigned it while I waited and fitted the rubber strap for me too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    ^ Gratz - glad it's finally sorted, it you want to change up the look in the future try the rubber:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/0aJgiQPh.jpg[img]

Also my bezel was off slightly as well but I took it to the Omega boutique at Westfield (Stratford) and they realigned it while I waited and fitted the rubber strap for me too.
    I really like the bracelet but maybe in the summer I might want to put it on something else :)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    It's a lot better. It now just remains to be seen if you can live with it.
    If it's as easy as popping into a Boutique and getting it aligned, I might just do that - but I can live with it for the time being. I'm delighted about everything else and the service I got so I'm feeling much better about the purchase.

That is ridiculous my Hydro Conquest cost only £790 and is perfectly made. You shouldn't settle for anything less than perfection with the SMP! Awful...

Craftsman
    It is a bit ridiculous isn't it?