closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby World Cup

Well done Oz! An epic defensive effort that won the game.

Thought we played pretty well but should have capitalised on the yellow cards. We were just too narrow which negated the advantage.

A tough game next against SA but I fancy us to undo them (assuming Doc and Sanjay aren't broken :)

jeff

Two great games today, but I don't expect to see either Wales or Scotland go beyond the next game.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Two great games today, but I don't expect to see either Wales or Scotland go beyond the next game.
    Yep think Oz will hammer us. Just had to laugh at Woodward saying how the higher ranked teams get more decisions than the 2nd tier teams as Scotland got decisions they shouldnt have. Samoa was ranked above Scotland Clive - twat.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Just watched Wales vs Austrialia - epic game (war!)

how the aussies survived going down to 13 with the welsh camped on their line, for what 10 minutes? was fanstatic - even George North could not get the ball down.

I thought wales shaded the first half but the Aussies just had the extra 1%.

I still fancy Wales against SA. How England must be kicking themselves!
    Gutted

Don't think I've seen a try less game like that before!! Aussie defence was amazing but wow talking about Wales blowing it again. Have to keep reminding myself that they are not out but I'm so frustrated from that 10 min assault with no points

Blog Entries
    Ozfellers defence holding the ball up over the line was very impressive. Great effort Wales!

Well played Australia. Awesome defence with 13 players. No complaints. Bring on South Africa!

Master
    Likewise, I don't think I've ever enjoyed watching a game that Wales have lost!

Aus deserved it though and credit where credit is due.

Journeyman
    Decent game. South Africa will be so tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I still fancy Wales against SA. How England must be kicking themselves!
    Hmm... not sure I'd fancy England's chances much against SA. England haven't beaten SA since 2006. 12 matches played since then - SA winning 11 and drawing 1. SA always seem to be able to find another gear against England. I think Wales has more of a chance of turning SA over, but still think SA will shade it - 10 days of recovery time, plus correct combinations being settled upon, plus Wales's injuries and shorter recovery time. SA has more bench strength too.

It was good to see the Exeter lads get a run out for England, and well done to them for making the most of it. Why they were overlooked in the previous games baffles me.

Craftsman
    Really enjoyed Wales/Oz yesterday, great contest and a shame wales couldnt capitalise on the Aussies lack of discipline when they dropped to 13. That said don't aus look good? Attacking and defending.

Looking forward to France v Ireland later, I think Ireland will take it, but you never know with the French!

I am not into Rugby at all, but I have really enjoyed watching a few games.
    The style of open play in the Samoa v Scotland match yesterday would see me become a fan of the game.
    Were Samoa really ranked higher than Scotland?!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I am not into Rugby at all, but I have really enjoyed watching a few games.
    The style of open play in the Samoa v Scotland match yesterday would see me become a fan of the game.
    Were Samoa really ranked higher than Scotland?!

I don't think they were, were they? or can't find it if that was the case. http://www.worldrugby.org/rankings

I was not expecting it to be such a close fought thing, thought Scotland would just do the basics well, scrimmage well
    and gradually grind out the points with Samoa giving them away through ill discipline and handling errors! Didn't turn
    out quite like that! as you say very open and entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Just had to laugh at Woodward saying how the higher ranked teams get more decisions than the 2nd tier teams as Scotland got decisions they shouldnt have. Samoa was ranked above Scotland Clive - tw*t.
    Like I say, I know nothing, but saw this ^^^^
    I had just assumed that Scotland would be higher ranked.

Another full day of rugby ahead. It makes a great change to the usual snorefest of Formula 1 and Sky football.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Like I say, I know nothing, but saw this ^^^^
    I had just assumed that Scotland would be higher ranked.
    Samoa were in pot 2 seeded 7
    Scotland were in pot 3 seeded 12

link to the Wikpedia page showing the pots near the bottom. The world rankings used for the tournament were from 2012.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Rugby_World_Cup

heres the bit
    Seeding for each group for the 2015 World Cup were based on their respective IRBRankings. The draw, hosted by Will Greenwood, was conducted on 3 December 2012 in London, and used the World Rankings as of that day, just after the 2012 end-of-year rugby union internationals, which finished on 1 December 2012.[34] The 12 automatic qualifiers from 2011, were allocated to their respective bands based on their rankings;
    Pot 2

Pot 3

Pot 4

Pot 5

Last edited by alas58; 11th October 2015 at 13:15.

Master
    As others have said the Aussies are looking awesome and must be joint favourites with NZ. The only chance Scotland really have is if it is pouring with rain, windy and cold. Here's hoping

Master
    The only chance Scotland really have is if it is pouring with rain, windy and cold. Here's hoping
    Just a shame they are not playing in Scotland then as that would be a given

The Tier Groups don't relate directly to ranking or seeding. Italy and Argentina are considered Tier 1 because they play in the Six Nations and Rugby Championship, but they could still have a lower ranking than a Tier 2 team. I believe that's what Clive Woodward was referring to.

It was good to see the Exeter lads get a run out for England, and well done to them for making the most of it. Why they were overlooked in the previous games baffles me.

Yes, and we didn't play our best scrum half until it was too late, or find a hooker who could throw the ball in properly at the line-outs.

At least we now know what the best England team is. Shame that it's too late.

Journeyman
    Come on Ireland Great win against France

Quote Originally Posted by mylesm View Post
    Come on Ireland Great win against France
    Which means that Ireland get Argentina in the Quarter-Final, while France get New Zealand!

Master
    Ireland sure do know how to win! Not sure which France turned up today either, they can play better than that.

Bit concerning about the injuries to Ireland too.

Blog Entries
    Gutsy result from the Irish team, they deserve their 'relatively easier' QF.

Looks like SOB may be in a spot of bother shortly!

jeff
    Last edited by jeff; 11th October 2015 at 19:47. Reason: Edit to insert video

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Bit concerning about the injuries to Ireland too.
    O'Connell's world cup is probably over, the other 2 might be OK for next week. Sean O'Brien likely to get cited and be banned though :(

Still, I'm going to just enjoy the result for the time being, and be completely ungracious in victory towards my French colleague tomorrow (he was full of trash talk last week!).

Well if we were to lose one game this one is the last we could afford to lose.
    I liked the defence, but the attacking was depressing from France.

If the same team turns up next week end the kiwis will smile all the way to the semis. But if it's another team they may still be a tad worried.

Well played Ireland, that was a very enjoyable game to watch and a well deserved win. Shame about your injuries though, particularly for POC if that's ended up being his last cap. Great player.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post

jeff
    Was there some "history" between the two of them, or was this simply a case of O'Brien getting his retaliation in first?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Was there some "history" between the two of them, or was this simply a case of O'Brien getting his retaliation in first?
    Either way it is stupid. Nowadays cameras are everywhere and under all angles. He let himself and his team down badly
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Hard luck to Japan. They played so well but are the first team to to win three pool games and not qualify.

Master
    Hard luck to Japan. They played so well but are the first team to to win three pool games and not qualify.
    A really enjoyable game. The match was all the better for not being an England / /Uruguay style battering, as there was tension right until the final 7 minutes or so. Fitness played a part, with the Americans visibly getting tired before the Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Definitely history IMO. Pape was likely 'on the list' following the job he did on Heaslip's back in the last 6 nations game.
    SOB should have been off and Ire would have played 79 mins with 14 men with a likely different result. I'm amazed it wasn't picked up as the TMOs have been pretty zealous to date.

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Either way it is stupid. Nowadays cameras are everywhere and under all angles. He let himself and his team down badly
    Yes, a rash and foolish action. He should have known better.

Definitely history IMO. Pape was likely 'on the list' following the job he did on Heaslip's back in the last 6 nations game.
    SOB should have been off and Ire would have played 79 mins with 14 men with a likely different result. I'm amazed it wasn't picked up as the TMOs have been pretty zealous to date.
    Pape's gesture was both stupid and clumsy. He is at the end of his career and has no history of viciousness. He apologised to JH and apology was accepted.
    Which still was going to make for an interesting meeting this time.
    SOB also has no history of any sort of underhand dirty tricks. So maybe it was a word, or a previous action that has not (yet?) been spotted that prompted the action.

But if sanctioned he will be missed.

In a different thread:

Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    Rugby for me every time, but we do have issues. First, the game is so complex - even international players look at the ref when there's a penalty at scrum time, because pretty much everyone is at it all the time, and pens really can go either way in lots of instances.

But, more importantly, the ball is in play for so little time now (I think it averages a good bit under 30 minutes in the 80), which is why League fans call Union 'kick and clap.' As a result players are huge now - 18 stone backs are far from from uncommon - and the hits are colossal. As a result concussion and long term brain injury - along with skeletal and serious soft tissue injuries - are already a huge problem, and can only get worse. The rules need to be changed so that the ball is in play much more, so the big lads get run off their feet. This will happen, because it has to, and the game will become better to watch - as well as safer - I'm sure.

Despite it all RU is still a fantastic sport culturally: fans all sit together, we have a laugh and a beer afterwards, the players call the ref sir (although there's far too much backchat now) and if a player feigns injury everyone, ref, fans and players on both sides, usually make it clear that such behaviour isn't tolerated.

Rugby is also tactically interesting - with lots of battles/individual skills around scrums, line-outs, restarts, rucks, mauls etc - but I admit they do take a bit of picking up.....
    The scrum:

But, can someone explain to me why a not straight put in is no longer penalised, please?

After all, the rules do say "The scrum half must throw in the ball straight along the middle line, so that it first touches the ground immediately beyond the width of the nearer prop’s shoulders."
    Last edited by PickleB; 12th October 2015 at 17:39. Reason: added then amended the final line

Craftsman

Looks like they've just confirmed the hearing will be Tuesday!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34511312

Surely that's got to be the end of the tournament for him? It was utterly moronic!

Craftsman
    SOB should have been off and Ire would have played 79 mins with 14 men with a likely different result.
    I'd like to think if I was a neutral, or even a French supporter that I'd still think that something like this would be nowhere near a red card offence.

I doubt it's anything to do with history between Pape and Heaslip, it looks like Pape is interfering with O'Brien at the breakdown and SOB gives him a warning rather stupidly, and in return, Pape makes a meal of it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    I doubt it's anything to do with history between Pape and Heaslip, it looks like Pape is interfering with O'Brien at the breakdown and SOB gives him a warning rather stupidly, and in return, Pape makes a meal of it.
    Looks a pretty good shot, right on the heart area, probably made worse because Pape never sees it coming and doesn't get the chance to tense up for it. Really daft thing to do and assume he will be banned for a couple of weeks but I really hope not as Ireland need him.
    I got hit once like that (a heartstopper) after the bell in amateur boxing, had relaxed and was turning to the corner when it landed. Dropped me like a stone even though the guy hadn't much of a punch. It was bloody painful.
    My only query about the shot on Pape was seeing the medic apply ice to the other side of the rib cage?
    Last edited by alas58; 12th October 2015 at 21:42.

I'd like to think if I was a neutral, or even a French supporter that I'd still think that something like this would be nowhere near a red card offence.
    There won't be much leniency shown - you can't raise your hands to strike an opponent. He's certain to be out I would think.

Pape may not be the brightest of players but even him would understand that making a meal of it means drawing the attention of the ref and get SOB carded there and then, not after the game. Your comment is stupid.

And for what it's worth, I would say the same if the roles were reversed.

Master
    Pape makes a meal of it.
    I don’t think Pape was making a meal of it - that was a hell of a punch.

Craftsman
    Looks a pretty good shot, right on the heart area, probably made worse because Pape never sees it coming and doesn't get the chance to tense up for it. Really daft thing to do and assume he will be banned for a couple of weeks but I really hope not as Ireland need him.
    It looks worse than I remembered, having just watched it again. Unfortunately he's done it before IIRC. It seems a complete overreaction for having his jersey tugged, but I still don't buy that it has anything to do with Heaslip.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    There won't be much leniency shown - you can't raise your hands to strike an opponent. He's certain to be out I would think.
    Yep, I absolutely can't see him getting away with it, and without him playing it could well be academic whether it's for one week or more.

My point though is really that had it been seen at the time, I'm just not sure if it'd be a red card had it been seen at the time. They can just issue a citing warning with no ban for something that would have been a yellow card, but I think they err on the side of a ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Pape may not be the brightest of players but even him would understand that making a meal of it means drawing the attention of the ref and get SOB carded there and then, not after the game. Your comment is stupid.

And for what it's worth, I would say the same if the roles were reversed.
    I meant at the time, provided he wasn't genuinely hurt. I'd have thought that was quite clear. It was PSA making all the noise after, not Pape.

I meant at the time, provided he wasn't genuinely hurt. I'd have thought that was quite clear. It was PSA making all the noise after, not Pape.
    He looked genuinely hurt to me. But you're right in as much that you can't second guess what the ref would have done if HE had seen it. I'll only venture that the card would have been red had the TMO signalled it to the ref.
    SOB ended up being MOTM, so the game would have been very different. PSA is the one that made some noise, but to be fair the pundits were already discussing it at half time before anyone had heard anything from PSA.

Saying that this is nowhere near a red card offence is a bit hopeful at best IMHO. It was a cheap shot and he looked like he knew exactly what he was doing to me (although of course only SOB really knows).

As you say, he's also got form for this so I'll be amazed if he doesn't receive a ban. However, I'm amazed it wasn't picked up at the time so anything's possible.

It will be a big blow for Ire if he is banned as he was huge in the game.

jeff
    Last edited by jeff; 13th October 2015 at 08:24. Reason: pressed submit too soon :)

Craftsman
    Saying that this is nowhere near a red card offence is a bit hopeful at best IMHO. It was a cheap shot and he looked like he knew exactly what he was doing to me

I think this is whats going to cost him. If it was just a case of the two of them going at it then it would be by the by. The fact
    it was such a cheap shot has to result in a ban in my opinion, and I think he will be lucky to play another game.

Moment of madness which has let his team down, things are going to be tough enough without losing quality players like this.

That's it for Paul O'Connell. The Irfu have said that due to injury, the game against France was his last in a green jersey.
    Speculation that his move to Toulon could be in doubt due to the seriousness of his hamstring injury. He is to undergo surgery this week.
    Big loss to Irish rugby and it's a shame that he didn't get to walk off the field in his last game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Buchannon View Post
    That's it for Paul O'Connell. The Irfu have said that due to injury, the game against France was his last in a green jersey.
    Speculation that his move to Toulon could be in doubt due to the seriousness of his hamstring injury. He is to undergo surgery this week.
    Big loss to Irish rugby and it's a shame that he didn't get to walk off the field in his last game.
    That's such a shame. He really deserved to see it out. One of the very greatest players I've had the privilege to watch over the years - and an amazingly inspirational man by all accounts too.

One can only wonder what he'll be able to do for the game in retirement.

Who can claim Wales' injury worries are serious? They've called up Eli Walker as backs cover, but he isn't fit yet! He'll apparently be ready by the semis (as if that will happen!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34515185

There'll be some pretty annoyed (and fully fit) young players out there. Not sure that's giving a good impression to Welsh ruby as a whole.

Craftsman
    A week's ban for O'Brien. Seems he doesn't like other players dropping the hand

This fella is being a bit less subtle