closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: End of the year SOTC

End of the year SOTC

First of all: feel free to skip the blabbering below and just watch some ok watch pictures, which somehow all include coffee capsules. Alternatively you can read some random thoughts on my watches.

-

To be honest, I gave up on calling my set of watches a ‘collection’ some time ago, because I can’t pretend there is a well thought out plan behind the combination of watches I own at any given moment. I simply accepted the fact that trying out many different watches is a big part of the hobby for me, which means I’m a bit of a flipper. Still, it’s December, time to reflect, so I thought I’d do an SOTC as 2016 is approaching.

First up is the watch I’ve owned for the longest. It’s a Zenith Defy cal. 2562PC. I appreciate this is not to everyone’s taste, but I rather like it. It was obviously made in the seventies, when innovation in mechanical watches, both mechanically (the hi-beat movement) and design-wise (the case shape, the fume-like dial), was not yet curbed by the quartz revolution. In a sense it reminds me of the designs by 30s and 50s futurists, who imagined the future of transportation looked like a super streamlined steam engine.

Anyway, it runs like a dream and I think it’s a bit of a looker, especially on its Gay Freres ladder bracelet:

Next up is the Seiko Guigiaro. This is a re-interpretation of the ‘Bishop’ watch from the Alien movies, which came in a number of color schemes. I happened to like this one a lot, although of course it’s not the ‘correct’ color for a ‘Bishop’. I mostly like the design, which, come to think of it, is also a futuristic design from a bygone era, much like the Zenith.

While the Guigiaro is not really a movie watch, the next watch is. I don’t think the Seiko 6105 needs an introduction. My watch came from David (dejjl) here on the forum. It’s all original and serviced and I wear it a lot.

My daily beater (whatever that is) is a SKX009 I just bought new. I like to think of this as a modern classic. As nice as its 6309-inspired replacement may be, I feel this is the end of the line for a certain evolution in Seiko’s diver line-up:

The one brand I keep coming back to is Omega. I’m partial to their clean fifties designs, like this 1958 cal. 501 Seamaster. A nice, humble watch with a beautiful, reliable movement that came from Alex (alexaff):

My other Omega is a Speedmaster Mark IV. The cal. 1040 is probably one of Omega’s most interesting and elaborate chronograph movements. Technical stuff aside I think this is a nice chunk of seventies coolness. I got it from an Omega service center, so this had the full spa treatment. I bought this to mark a special occasion, so this may just be a keeper.

Finally the watch I probably wear the most: the Explorer II. It’s slim, it’s tough, it’s comfortable and it takes all kinds of straps, so a true all-rounder.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by JackW; 10th December 2015 at 11:08.

Master
    Very nice ensemble. There might be no plan when it comes to your watches but I would definitely call it a collection. A watch for every occasion, and more. Congrats.
    And beautiful photos too.

One of the more interesting collections I've seen in a while now... lovely stuff. I do like that Omega!

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Very nice ensemble. There might be no plan when it comes to your watches but I would definitely call it a collection. A watch for every occasion, and more. Congrats.
    And beautiful photos too.
    Thanks! I agree that's a nice coincidence. ;) The photos are simple iPad pictures, so I really can't take credit for that.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    One of the more interesting collections I've seen in a while now... lovely stuff. I do like that Omega!
    Thanks Tony!

Journeyman
    Nice strap on the Mark; what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohta View Post
    Nice strap on the Mark; what is it?
    Thanks. It's a custom made strap. I posted about it here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ht=Speedmaster.

Great collection.

Craftsman
    Nice mix!

Craftsman
    I like all of those. I love the Zenith! Any more pictures of it?

Some pretty cool watches there. I love the Seiko Guigiaro : much nicer (to my eyes) than the film version!
    Last edited by WatchIng; 10th December 2015 at 21:11.

A very fine collection!
    "A man of little significance"

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    I like all of those. I love the Zenith! Any more pictures of it?
    Not too many I'm afraid. I did find a wrist shot:

And this:

A mix of interesting watches, stylish too.
    Gray

Master
    A very mixed and enjoyable bunch. The Zenith is a beauty!

A great mix.
    I totally agree, those GF ladder bracelets are a work of genius.

D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    A great mix.
    I totally agree, those GF ladder bracelets are a work of genius.

D
    Thank you. A work of genius indeed, and extremely comfortable too!

Very nice and, as others have said Hidde, the Zenith is a particular treasure. I'm also very pleased that this one is no longer part of the collection:

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Very nice and, as others have said Hidde, the Zenith is a particular treasure. I'm also very pleased that this one is no longer part of the collection:

Thanks Alan, very pleased you're still enjoying the Citizen. Beautiful picture too!

My favourite recent SOTC post, some nice choices. Three of which I've had, I still own the Giugiaro but really wish I'd kept the 6105. As others have said the Zenith is a highlight, what size it it out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    My favourite recent SOTC post, some nice choices. Three of which I've had, I still own the Giugiaro but really wish I'd kept the 6105. As others have said the Zenith is a highlight, what size it it out of interest?
    Many thanks. It's 37/38 mm across and 44 mm north to south. Which one was number three out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Many thanks. It's 37/38 mm across and 44 mm north to south. Which one was number three out of interest?
    Thanks, it was the SKX009; and it looked great on a mesh.

Nice group!

Master
    I still remember our first encounter. You've come a long way since then, Hidde 👍

Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    I still remember our first encounter. You've come a long way since then, Hidde
    Me too Jaap. That was my first forum deal, and a very pleasant one at that, in 2011. You took this in trade:

...against this:

It's what started a very fun journey for me!

Craftsman
    Thank you very much for posting, the Seiko Guigiaro is new to me and looks great

Master
    Nice collection

Craftsman
    I really enjoy the Seiko daily beater, to the degree that I may emulate your choice in the New Year...

Very nice ensemble. Very interested by the Zenith and live the old Omega.

That's a very fine eclectic selection you have there.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Good collection, I love that zenith, great looking watch.

thanks for posting up.

mike

Master

End of the year SOTC

That zenith is the dog's balls - I love watches which are very much of their time but have dated well (subjective I know).

The 6105 is one I will always covet but having had a PRS-68 which got very little wrist time due to the size I know it's best appreciated on other wrists/in photos...

Thanks for the kind comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr TPG View Post
    That zenith is the dog's balls - I love watches which are very much of their time but have dated well (subjective I know).

The 6105 is one I will always covet but having had a PRS-68 which got very little wrist time due to the size I know it's best appreciated on other wrists/in photos...
    Thanks. I have never handled a 68, so I don't know how it compares to the 6105. The Seiko has a short lug to lug distance and the case 'hugs' the wrist quite nicely. Add to that the modest 19 mm strap and I think it wears quite well for a large watch.

Master
    Same dimensions - I agree it wears beautifully for a chunky watch. I have tiny wrists though...

Master
    So, Hidde, what's on your wish list for 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    So, Hidde, what's on your wish list for 2016?
    TBH, Jaap, I don't know. I hope I manage to hang on to these watches for a while, as I really do like every single one of them.

The problem with buying vintage watches is that I've been around long enough now to see the prices of some nice ones going through the roof. I sold my '71 Speedmaster and Tudor sub (to name but two) for prices that won't get you one today - not even close. I understand that's how it works, but it does make me hesitant sometimes.

Having said that: there's still plenty of good stuff to be found. If I had the cash right now, I'd add that Lorenz sub on SC to the collection in a heartbeat! :D

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing!
    Those 6105's are quite handsome.
    Hooe you will keep all of your collection during 2016.

Great post Hidde! That Zenith looks terrific and I'm glad you still like the Explorer ;)
    I feel a mini meet coming 👍🏻

Those vintage Seamasters with black dials are among my favorites! Great collection, thanks for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by malus65 View Post
    Great post Hidde! That Zenith looks terrific and I'm glad you still like the Explorer ;)
    I feel a mini meet coming.
    Thanks Stef, the Explorer is still a firm favourite. Let's meet up in the new year!

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    Those vintage Seamasters with black dials are among my favorites! Great collection, thanks for sharing it.
    Thank you. Your collection isn't too shabby either, having just looked at your SOTC. Some wise words in there too!

Looks like a collection to be proud of. Like the dial on the Zenith and have wanted a Seiko Guigiaro for a LONG time now. Although the original "Bishop" version would be my choice, simply because it is the right colours (I seem to have a penchant for black and red).

Thanks for sharing!