closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How Much!

How Much!

After discovering that I had an interest in watches, an old boy in the village asked me if I could give him some idea of the value of a watch he had bought new in 1974, a Baume & Mercier dress watch (groan).

I said I would see what I could find and did come across an identical watch sold on a Rolex forum and a similar watch on Chrono24. I emailed him and suggested that £400-£500 might be achievable.

Anyway, I have had a reply in which he informs me that the watch isn't working. He has taken it into a branch of Timpson who sent it away (possibly to Baume & Mercier) and the quote for service and repair comes to £3,250!

Presumably, after getting it fixed, he'll want to sell it for what it owes him.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mountmusic View Post
    After discovering that I had an interest in watches, an old boy in the village asked me if I could give him some idea of the value of a watch he had bought new in 1974, a Baume & Mercier dress watch (groan).

I said I would see what I could find and did come across an identical watch sold on a Rolex forum and a similar watch on Chrono24. I emailed him and suggested that £400-£500 might be achievable.

Anyway, I have had a reply in which he informs me that the watch isn't working. He has taken it into a branch of Timpson who sent it away (possibly to Baume & Mercier) and the quote for service and repair comes to £3,250!
    Seems unreasonable even if they would have to custom make some components

Master
    Are you sure it wasn't £32.50?

Timpson ?? Jeeez

Included in the price is a pair of shoes reheeled, two new front door keys cut and a trohpy of your choice engraved with a max. of 20 words - they will mess up the watch, but the rest will be fine.

Banned

He should just keep it the way it is, as a memento of old times. No need for it be serviced. £3,250 is insane.

Journeyman
    Poor man...

I would speak to Brendan (webwatchmaker) on here. He'll probably sort that at a fraction of that cost.
    Had my Maurice Lacroix recently serviced by him and can highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Layin_Cable View Post
    I would speak to Brendan (webwatchmaker) on here. He'll probably sort that at a fraction of that cost.
    Yes, I have been pleased with watches that Brendan has worked on for me and have offered to effect an introduction if he does want the watch seen to.

I suspect he was interested in a valuation because the ridiculous quote from Timpson (which he obviously did query) made him think that the watch might be fairly valuable. I think he had also been talking to people who had bought Rolex watches about the same time and who now do have valuable items. Interestingly, he says he paid about £350 for the B&M in 1974 which would have certainly bought him a Submariner and possibly a Seadweller. If he had bought either of those then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

By taking a drunken shower a friend of a friend of mine turned his Patek dress watch into a WG coffin filled with horological rubble. The price quoted by PP, to transform it back to how it had been prior to his shower, was $3000.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Included in the price is a pair of shoes reheeled, two new front door keys cut and a trohpy of your choice engraved with a max. of 20 words - they will mess up the watch, but the rest will be fine.
    Timpson operate SC????

M.