closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK AD Rolex Discount?

UK AD Rolex Discount?

Hi all

Is it possible to get a discount on a new Rolex "off the street" without a relationship with the AD? It would be a Milgauss GV which may help. Or am I going to have to go Grey via Iconic or Chronext?

Cheers and Merry Christmas

David

Master
    I had no relationship with my AD when I bought a Sub, however they made a gesture which sealed the deal for me.

Depends how you handle the discussion. If they believe you are there to do business and you ask is there anything you can do to soften the price this often yields a positive response.
    Good luck
    Steve

Possible, but certainly not guaranteed, and you'd be doing well to get down to a grey dealer's price. On the other hand, the Milgauss doesn't exactly fly off the shelves, so you never know. Find a dealer who's had one in the window for a while and give it a try...

I got my Explorer II from the local AD, never set foot in there before and I got over 20% off list - a few things worked in my favour, it was 2008 and people had stopped spending, VAT had just been reduced and The AD was in Hull so a short walk to Ian Blowers who had a new unworn one in stock.

It's well worth asking, go armed with the "grey" price and be prepared to walk away.

Things have changed since 2008!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Things have changed since 2008!
    Yup, still worth a try though.

So not too hopeful then. I was hoping to shoot for 15%, but is the consensus this isn't possible? No friendly forum ADs?

Cheers

David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Downing View Post
    So not too hopeful then. I was hoping to shoot for 15%, but is the consensus this isn't possible? No friendly forum ADs?
    Just go to a grey dealer. They've done the work of negotiating a discount for you. :-)

Master
    I think there's a few AD Rolex here but not sure if they can offer a discount... Fingers cross they'll be here soon...

Really? I didn't think we had many AD's on here.
    It's just a matter of time...

15% on a SS models is unlikely in today's market unless it's on a very poor seller or you are going grey!

Best I've seen from a UK Rolex AD on SS is 10%

Journeyman
    Even on less popular ss models like the mil you're not looking at much more than a token discount. If you want a saving go to iconic or another grey dealer.

If I got 10% off a SS Rolex from an AD i'd take it. Grey can have greater discounts. Up to you where you'd feel comfortable buying from.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Really? I didn't think we had many AD's on here.
    Maybe I'm being optimistic... For sure there is One...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by teeth man View Post
    If I got 10% off a SS Rolex from an AD i'd take it. Grey can have greater discounts. Up to you where you'd feel comfortable buying from.
    You're buying from Rolex. The seller is simply a step on the way to ownership.

Rolexroz without hesitation.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    You're buying from Rolex. The seller is simply a step on the way to ownership.
    Have to agree. It's what you're buying, not who sells it. So long as they are reputable.

Was always told there is zero negotiation on the prices!

Master
    I had just spent £3500 on a Watch at an AD and when I asked about a Rolex 114060 I was offered 5% discount!

Quote Originally Posted by Euan Begbie View Post
    Was always told there is zero negotiation on the prices!
    There is always negotiation - sometimes it's successful ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Rolexroz without hesitation.
    He still active? Where?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    If I was in the market i'd consider contacting our esteemed member Haywood Milton, pretty sure he can get you what you want but it's likely to be grey if that's an issue.

Master
    In London is harder for SS Rolex sports I think the best is usually 5% from an AD. However outside London I've been offered over 10% from AD.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    In London is harder for SS Rolex sports I think the best is usually 5% from an AD. However outside London I've been offered over 10% from AD.
    Was the plus 10% on a popular SS models? If so would you mind PM'ing me the AD as I'm after three SS models in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    He still active? Where?
    I contacted him through Turf last year and got my wife a UK AD sourced mid sized Datejust with a great discount. Haven't contacted him since but I hope he's still active as I'll be after something else next year.

Craftsman
    An old friends brother works as a gem setter in the jewelry quarter, he used to be a salesman for a Rolex AD. Now I can only say as I'm told, but 'apprantly' to be an AD part of the contract is no discount of any sort, no internet selling, no deals that could bring Rolex into disrepute or devalue the brand. If you're found out to be bending the rules you loose the contract, and it's a hungry market for dealers wanting that correnet over the door by all accounts.
    When I purchased a new GMT2C this year I couldn't get an inch of discount. But after spotting a £1200 gold chain I liked they offered £800 off the chain if I had both. Call it a sweetener but the recipt for the Rolex was full retail. They also 'forgot' to charge me for a new leather strap for my Titus the week after, £18 strap for free, thank you very much :) It's that customer service that will see me return time and time again, I know where I'll be buying my Daytona from in 2016!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    An old friends brother works as a gem setter in the jewelry quarter, he used to be a salesman for a Rolex AD. Now I can only say as I'm told, but 'apprantly' to be an AD part of the contract is no discount of any sort, no internet selling, no deals that could bring Rolex into disrepute or devalue the brand. If you're found out to be bending the rules you loose the contract, and it's a hungry market for dealers wanting that correnet over the door by all accounts.
    When I purchased a new GMT2C this year I couldn't get an inch of discount. But after spotting a £1200 gold chain I liked they offered £800 off the chain if I had both. Call it a sweetener but the recipt for the Rolex was full retail. They also 'forgot' to charge me for a new leather strap for my Titus the week after, £18 strap for free, thank you very much :) It's that customer service that will see me return time and time again, I know where I'll be buying my Daytona from in 2016!
    Well discounts on SS Rolex is attainable it just not that large and usually more "token" than anything. But it does exist!

Craftsman
    Not arguing with you, just saying.

An old friends brother works as a gem setter in the jewelry quarter, he used to be a salesman for a Rolex AD. Now I can only say as I'm told, but 'apprantly' to be an AD part of the contract is no discount of any sort
    As far as I know that's right. It still happens, though, in the same way that the national speed limit is 70mph and yet you still occasionally see cars going faster than that, even though it's legally impossible.

They certainly can't advertise discounts, and on popular models they don't need to—there are plenty of people marching into the store ready to pay full price. But if you can't negotiate you can't do business, and rules are made to be bent, so long as they snap back into place when the man from Rolex comes to visit.

The story of being given a whacking discount on something else you buy at the same time, while the Rolex is officially sticker price, is ingenious, and completely believable. If you're smart and creative, you should be able to achieve some useful reductions.

But when all's said and done, if you're that price-sensitive, you'll be talking to a grey dealer like Iconic, or just buying a used watch privately. I've never quite understood the desire for the 'AD experience'—you walk into the shop, hand over your credit card, and walk out with a bag. What's the experience?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I've never quite understood the desire for the 'AD experience'—you walk into the shop, hand over your credit card, and walk out with a bag. What's the experience?
    Indeed, the statutory consumer protection is the same whether it's an AD or a grey dealer and of course good grey dealers pass on manufacturers' warranties too.

I have bought from ADs and grey dealers alike. Let's cut to the chase here, all Rolex watches come out of the factory in Switzerland. Yes, it's nice to buy a watch from a grey dealer which would ideally say on the warranty card " watches of Switzerland UK", but in reality from a grey dealer it's going to be somewhere like Italy, Portugal etc. Now, this doesn't matter one bit in reality. You buy a watch, you wear it. BUT, we are fickle people and some people have an aversion to an overseas stamped warranty card. God knows why. So the choice is simple, very simple. Go to an AD and pay full retail and be made to feel like your lucky to even be buying that "G" serial unusual dial datejust that's been sitting in the window for 4 years and walk out 15 minutes later thinking they were awfully nice for making you a cup of tea. OR go to a grey dealer who can source you the watch YOU want and will cut all the crap out in between. "Hello is that Iconic Watches? Do you have the seadweller 4000 in stock?" "Yes sir, we can send it out straight away with a 19% discount from list". Next day you receive said watch and now your buzzing as you've saved £1350. Same amount of warranty, same watch, £1350 more cash in your pocket but oh, you didn't get that cup of tea at the ADs??? Damn

Craftsman
    For me I wante to be sure I was getting a genuine watch, I also wanted to handle a few watches, I went in to buy a date just but ended up with a GMT2C, it took 3-4 visits before I settled and took the plunge. Had I gone grey dealer I'd have ordered the date just and missed out, then would that matter? It's like the discussion about GS's, fantastic watches and I'm missing out, but that doesn't matter because I don't know what I'm missing, therefore it's pointless worrying about it. The saving on a GMT2C SS is also minimal at best from a grey dealer, there is no way I would but a be DS from AD tho, there are massive savings on a used DS, I see them regular with all of the stickers still in place, never been worn, thousands of pounds below list with full set etc, even from reputable high street stores. (As a side note I am told that an AD should not allow a watch to leave the store with stickers in place, it's one of the things Rolex insist upon again. I played my face about that and insisted that the stickers be left on the clasp, common sense prevailed there. The sticker lasted months before pealing, saved a few months of swirlies lol.

Apprentice
    If you're needing to get something else from the dealer it is worth negotiating on free gift vouchers, which I think they can do as the sales price is not discounted. I got 15% back on a sub last year, which came to about £900.

As a side note I am told that an AD should not allow a watch to leave the store with stickers in place, it's one of the things Rolex insist upon again. I played my face about that and insisted that the stickers be left on the clasp, common sense prevailed there. The sticker lasted months before pealing, saved a few months of swirlies lol.
    Can't believe some of the rubbish AD sales staff come out with! I take the stickers off straight away but thats my choice I would be please being told I had to by the AD.

I don't even let them size my watches and do it myself at home

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Can't believe some of the rubbish AD sales staff come out with! I take the stickers off straight away but thats my choice I would be please being told I had to by the AD.

I don't even let them size my watches and do it myself at home
    I dunno, I can believe Rolex insisting on it because they think they can control the world, it annoys me I must admit. I don't like being told what to do, I have free will and like to use it thanks. I did let them size my watch tho, just easy lmao. Over all I was pleased with Ruddell as a dealer, very friendly and helpful. Will return as I say.

Master
    The sticker thing is garbage. Neither of the ADs I bought my watches from this year did anything regarding sticker removal or bracelet sizing.

I know some rules filter down from Rolex but I have heard some rubbish from AD's! I was told once that I had made my warranty on my 114060 void as I had removed the bracelet and fitted a nato, oh and told the warranty on my 116600 was worthless as I purchased it from a Spanish AD and not a UK one! Didn't mean to be rude but found myself laughing at both sales assistants as to say neither places has had any business off me.

Craftsman
    Yeah they can chat rubbish. I don't know what is true or real when they say stuff, I just hear what I want and if I'm happy I don't worry about it.

Master
    It's not applicable in the UK but just to put it out there. In Japan for certain SS models the AD is obliged to remove the stickers and even keep the bezel protector and price tags. It is a policy from Rolex. Also the majority of brands in Japan also distinguish between AD and grey. So for example if u were to buy a Breitling there is actually a price differential in servicing your watch had it been purchased from an AD or Grey, AD ofcourse being cheaper. The guarantee cards are also "posted" a few days after purchase so you don't even take that home with you.

I know it's not applicable in the UK but just sharing that in some countries these procedures are the norm!

Do Rolex have an outlet at Geneva airport and are there any deals to be had there? Just a thought as I am off skiing early next year and thought I'd check out the duty free shops. I just need to decide if it'll be an Explorer II or Milgauss?

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Do Rolex have an outlet at Geneva airport and are there any deals to be had there? Just a thought as I am off skiing early next year and thought I'd check out the duty free shops. I just need to decide if it'll be an Explorer II or Milgauss?
    Yes they do, you'll get 20 per cent off being a non-Swiss national, which you'll obviously pay back to UK customs on arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Yes they do, you'll get 20 per cent off being a non-Swiss national, which you'll obviously pay back to UK customs on arrival.
    Bugger!

I've tried to negotiate with my local ad again as I did when buying a new Rolex off him last year, he gave me 2 'free' services on a sub and Tudor if I paid full price.

This year I'm after another but he says the rules have changed and he can't do anything! Very disappointed

He has offered discount on other items but I don't really want to buy anything else!!

I like the idea of the gift vouchers though, might give that one last try

Journeyman
    Personally I have no problem with using a grey dealer if I know what I want.

Master
    Thats odd considering Swiss VAT rate is 8% ?

Thats odd considering Swiss VAT rate is 8% ?
    That's what I was offered on a 114060 without even trying to barter.

Master
    Looks like Iconic have one here:
    http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex...-116400gv.html

I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer.

I've generally found discounts available on precious metal Rolex models but no discounts on SS models. I have a very good relationship with my AD and we talk openly about grey and web retailers; he's quietly admitted to buying a few watches from the web himself so that tells you everything.

SGR

Master
    That's what I was offered on a 114060 without even trying to barter.
    Then of course there would be no need to pay any taxes in the UK, since all you got was a discount, not a tax rebate. If your story is true which I don't think it is tbh, Swiss airport AD discounting a steel submariner? Snowballs in hell.

Then of course there would be no need to pay any taxes in the UK, since all you got was a discount, not a tax rebate. If your story is true which I don't think it is tbh, Swiss airport AD discounting a steel submariner? Snowballs in hell.
    I find your post offensive. What would be the point of me lying?

Yes, it's not "there" though. Delivery end of month.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    Looks like Iconic have one here:
    http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex...-116400gv.html

I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer.

I've generally found discounts available on precious metal Rolex models but no discounts on SS models. I have a very good relationship with my AD and we talk openly about grey and web retailers; he's quietly admitted to buying a few watches from the web himself so that tells you everything.

SGR