closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wife's wi-fi keeps dropping out - oo-er.

Wife's wi-fi keeps dropping out - oo-er.

Lately the wif fi keeps dropping out on her laptop.

Always used to be OK and we have the most powerful virgin cable internet. She generally only sits a few feet from the hub.

Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

If it's ok for everyone else then it must be her laptop and / or the wifi card in it.

I'd start by downloading the latest drivers for it and updating them. If that doesn't work it could well be a hardware fault.

Saucy!

Let her try your spare dongle in the auxiliary USB port

Master
    My son's ASUS just started doing that today - I think he recently had some updates on his machine Windows 8,1

B

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Saucy!

Let her try your spare dongle in the auxiliary USB port

Bold, very bold Jules.

My router has a power saving mode that cuts access after a specified period; if I don't manually disable it by clicking the off button in the advanced settings box it drops out usually at a very inconvenient moment.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I'm having the same issue and i'm with Virgin. I've contacted them a dozen times and they simply adjust the wifi channels as they say something is causing the problem maybe another wireless router, baby monitor etc????

B

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    I'm having the same issue and i'm with Virgin. I've contacted them a dozen times and they simply adjust the wifi channels as they say something is causing the problem maybe another wireless router, baby monitor etc????

B

It's irrelevant who your provider is as they have no control over the Wifi in your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It's irrelevant who your provider is as they have no control over the Wifi in your house.
    Oh yeah? Never heard of GCHQ?

Craftsman
    Try a free program called inSSIDer or an Android app called Wifi Analyser. Shows you all the wifi networks around, their strength and what channels they're on - so that you can choose one that has the least interference.

That said, if it works for everyone else in the house except your wife, then the issue is likely with her machine

Thanks for the help so far.

Maybe I described it wrongly, I'm not very computer savvy.

I'm not sure it's normal wifi as such it is just my wife sucking off the stuff from our hub indoors, it wouldn't work outside I doubt.

My wife actually has the only computer that is not wired up directly so nothing to compare it to.

I'll get her to phone Virgin to see if they have any solutions.
    Last edited by Neil.C; 27th December 2015 at 10:26.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Likely just to be interference with someone elses wifi given your description. They can clash and cause all sorts of odd problems. Install inSIDDer (unless it is a Mac ?) and look at the various channels that it can see. Even on a largish property you can normally see a few from neighbours.

Then change to being one on it's own.

Another issue can be walkabout telephone base stations next to the router, wireless thermostats and doorbells (although the later less likely than it used to be)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Thanks for the help so far.

Maybe I described it wrongly, I'm not very computer savvy.

I'm not sure it's normal wifi as such it is just my wife sucking off the stuff from our hub indoors, it wouldn't work outside I doubt.

My wife actually has the only computer that is not wired up directly so nothing to compare it to.

Last edited by Velorum; 27th December 2015 at 11:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Nooo madam! Listen to Francis.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I've had drop out from virgin recently. Its at their end , no explanation , usually rights itself within a few hours , not happened for the last couple of weeks. Thought it was the kids streaming videos (although I'm on the 150M service!!) but the xbox also kept losing its connection whilst gaming and that's got a hardline on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I've had drop out from virgin recently. Its at their end , no explanation , usually rights itself within a few hours , not happened for the last couple of weeks. Thought it was the kids streaming videos (although I'm on the 150M service!!) but the xbox also kept losing its connection whilst gaming and that's got a hardline on it.
    This is a completely different issue - that is a failure of the connection itself nothing to do with wifi.

Pointless to be honest - virgin can only see and do stuff about the connection into the house and nothing about the wifi. If you are not technical think about it this way, Wifi is just a type of radio signal - why it works in your house or not will be done to the walls, local interference and also the equipment you have - in this case, the weak link seems to your wife's laptop.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 27th December 2015 at 15:40.

Master
    Pointless to be honest - virgin can only see and do stuff about the connection into the house and nothing about the wifi.
    Well, unless they provided the router. However if other wifi-enabled equipment - phones, other laptops etc - aren't having an issue, then it will be the laptop as has already been asserted, and not Virgin's responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Well, unless they provided the router. However if other wifi-enabled equipment - phones, other laptops etc - aren't having an issue, then it will be the laptop as has already been asserted, and not Virgin's responsibility.
    That's a fair point but as you say if everything else works then it's likely the laptop. To be honest, I never use ISP supplied routers as they tend to be junk, even if they supplied the router, nothing they will or can do about local conditions unless the router is faulty.

(Note for fellow nerds - I have a ASUS RT-AC68U which has been a beast and is pretty cheap in the sales - coupled with their PCI wifi on the desktop and its a great set-up - I also notice I'm the only person in the neighbourhood running 5ghz AC equipment which helps).

Master
    This is a completely different issue - that is a failure of the connection itself nothing to do with wifi.
    That was my point.

Master
    Hi Neil, the exact same thing happened at our place - different provider. ( EE) 2 laptops and assorted equipments working fine, except one laptop decided to connect intermittently.

Called the provider, the tech desk changed the routers settings ( changed the channels) remotely and asked us to move the land phone. The problem got fixed.

I think you should call the provider

Quote Originally Posted by UJJWALDEY8165 View Post
    Hi Neil, the exact same thing happened at our place - different provider. ( EE) 2 laptops and assorted equipments working fine, except one laptop decided to connect intermittently.

Called the provider, the tech desk changed the routers settings ( changed the channels) remotely and asked us to move the land phone. The problem got fixed.

If you want to fiddle with channels - quicker to do it youself:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...TICLE_ID=27539

Master
    Thanks for that, though I have no interest in wasting time fiddling with IT objects.

Up to Neil to make his choice, I simply rely on the tech centre to sort out one off problem

Cheers Ujjwal, my wife is going to phone Virgin and hopefully they can sort it out.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Uninstall any anti virus she has and install Microsoft security essentials instead and also change your channel for wifi on your router - 6 or 11 would be my recommendations.

Master
    Cheers Ujjwal, my wife is going to phone Virgin and hopefully they can sort it out.
    Hope everything is fine with you and yours, Neil. Haven't seen one of your cupboard sales for a while.....

Hope everything is fine with you and yours, Neil. Haven't seen one of your cupboard sales for a while.....
    Thanks mate, same to you and yours.

Re cupboard sales, I still have a ton of stuff but am too idle to list it.

Maybe in the new year.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Thanks mate, same to you and yours.

Re cupboard sales, I still have a ton of stuff but am too idle to list it.

Maybe in the new year.
    Anything interesting, Neil.

I still have and cherish the Universal Geneve I got from you ( doubt you will remember it, its a gold case, auto)

Anything interesting, Neil.

I still have and cherish the Universal Geneve I got from you ( doubt you will remember it, its a gold case, auto)
    I do remember that one, a very nice piece.

I'll be having a look through in the new year but I doubt there will be any more gold UG's.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

BTW the wife got onto Virgin yesterday and after a lot of faffing around the fault was fixed and she is mobile around the house now with her laptop ordering stuff like mad!
    Cheers,
    Neil.