closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Problems with a new Speedmaster Pro.

Master

Problems with a new Speedmaster Pro.

I asked a couple of questions earlier today with the arrival of a Speedy pro that I bought for my father-in-law from Iconic Watches. Having spent the day with the watch, I have a feeling it's not the best example. Here are the problems I have spotted, and I would appreciate the TZ-UK experts opinions!

1. Set at 10am this morning, it has gained 13 seconds when checked just now 12.05am. That's pretty rough I reckon.

2. In all other Speedys I have seen (I have owned two) the chrono minute hand moves during the last of the 60 seconds. So, starts moving when the chrono second hand reaches 59, and moves over in the second it takes to reach 60 / start again. This one is doing it between 58 and 59 seconds (so, when the chrono second hand reaches 59, the minute hand is already on the next marker, having started moving on 58). This doesn't seem right

3. The chrono hour counter does not rest dead on 12. Instead, if you reset it and HOLD the reset button it is spot on, but if you let go it moves slightly to the right/clockwise - so, you can wiggle it with the reset button (and jumps a tiny bit more to the right on starting the chrono). As a result it is off the markers (consistently) by about ten minutes. I have seen this in a Speedy I had before, but that was used. However, what I haven't seen linked to this is...

4. I have left the watch running all day today (I am supposed to be giving it him tomorrow, as a belated Christmas present from myself and my wife), and this evening I found something odd. When I let the chrono run past the 6hr mark, and reset it, it was spot on. Starting the chrono again for the next hour...it was still spot on! Then, reset from this being spot on 'state' (but not getting past six hrs)...it went back to the "off by the right, can be wiggled to and fro a bit" behavior.

So, in sum: (1) the mins chrono hand is moving too early (by just under 1 second), (2) the watch is more than 13 seconds fast in 18 hrs, and (3) the hr hand is misaligned and can be gently 'tweaked' by the rest button unless the chrono is reset from past 6 hrs onwards.

I have a feeling I should get in touch with Iconic Watches, but I bet they just recommend sending it back to Omega. Sigh.
    Last edited by redsox78; 10th January 2016 at 01:32.

It doesn't sound right to me. You're clearly unhappy. Speak to iconic, if you've not had it long you should be able to return to them for a refund.

Master
    Well - the general accuracy (ie about 17 secs in 24 hrs) would disappoint me a bit for a new Omega though actually my own Speedy is about the same in that respect. Yours might settle down a bit. I don't know if it exhibits the other behaviour you describe as well, because I've never scrutinised it that closely. It's an error, I think, to expect perfection from a mechanical watch and I don't think the issues you identify other than general timekeeping would bother me.

Quite often on watch fora I've seen people disappointed that their date changes over at a few minutes before or after midnight, and I always wonder if these people wouldn't be happier with a digital.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    It doesn't sound right to me. You're clearly unhappy. Speak to iconic, if you've not had it long you should be able to return to them for a refund.
    It was bought on Thursday, and I would be happy with an exchange. I've emailed them, will be interesting to see how they reply. The buying experience was great, but I suppose it's this sort of thing that shows how good it really is.

Anyway, better get to bed, being down about it ain't going to fix it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    It's an error, I think, to expect perfection from a mechanical watch and I don't think the issues you identify other than general timekeeping would bother me.
    100% agree, if not for the chrono minute register being a second 'fast' (if you see what I mean) I would agree. But, I have never seen this before on another. One of things I always thought was cool about Speedy's was the way the chrono minute moves in that last second, but perhaps I just got lucky.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    the only watch I ever bought new was a speedy, back in 2006, when I got it home I done the usual 'timing' over 24 hours etc, in the first few days it was out by over 20 secs sometimes, so I headed out on the forums for explanations,

I was told that a speedy can take a couple of weeks to settle down, I didn't believe this, but stuck with it,

after a week or so of wearing it did indeed settle down, and after a couple of months it had settled to less than 10 seconds a day out, somedays 5 seconds, as for the reset and hour hands, I suspect a trip back to Omega will be the only way to sort it out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    the only watch I ever bought new was a speedy, back in 2006, when I got it home I done the usual 'timing' over 24 hours etc, in the first few days it was out by over 20 secs sometimes, so I headed out on the forums for explanations,

I was told that a speedy can take a couple of weeks to settle down, I didn't believe this, but stuck with it,

after a week or so of wearing it did indeed settle down, and after a couple of months it had settled to less than 10 seconds a day out, somedays 5 seconds, as for the reset and hour hands, I suspect a trip back to Omega will be the only way to sort it out.
    I think there is some sense there, I don't want the way to be a lemon :) Exchanging / refund is a faff. I'm not a perfectionist...really!

Plus, I might have rose tinted specs with the speedy. I actually just found this video on Vimeo. Looking at the video the chrono mins counter is jumping over about one second late (go to 01:29). So, perhaps there is some variation? If there is, fair enough. <a href="https://vimeo.com/61405468" target="_blank">

And I know most people who have never had one would never even bloody looked, which is much more sensible!

And, as for the chrono hour hand thing, I do know you can't expect it to be dead on with a Speedy - there are lots of posts about the chrono hr hand sometimes being a bit off. My problem is more the odd behavior that it is dead on after 6hrs (IF reset past 6) but not before. And, if reset before six hrs you can wiggle it a bit with the rest button.

On the plus side, the watch is fine otherwise. It is the first Speedy not straight from Omega, that I have seen, that does not have swirlies on the case-back caused by the clasp, or any micro nicks on the case edges.

In my defense, I won't dare look at it with that loupe they give you, I'm not that daft!

p.s is it me or does the newer screw link bracelet have a slightly more rattly clasp than the old pin push one?
    Last edited by redsox78; 10th January 2016 at 02:45.

Banned
    Sounds like a lemon, just return it and get another one or a refund. I don't see why you should have to go through the hassle of sending it to Omega, etc.

I am sorry for your bad luck with this, I am sure your father in law would have been thrilled with a Speedy. Just let him know what happened. I am sure he will appreciate the the effort you are putting into giving him an excellent gift.

Just give it to your FIL - he`ll be less `particular` than you and probably won`t notice anything wrong with it at all.

After all, who recieves a watch as a gift and then immediately checks the timekeeping of it to see if it`s `acceptable`?

The other `faults` will never be seen - who actually ever uses the chrono function!!

Banned
    Send it back. Iconic will have no issues. If you read their returns policy, you’d have saved yourself a post...

1. If you are a consumer, you have a legal right to cancel a Contract under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 from the date on which the Contract starts (the day you receive your Dispatch Confirmation email) until 14 working days after your receive your item (the relevant period). This means that during the relevant period if you change your mind or decide for any other reason that you do not want to receive or keep a Product, you can notify us of your decision to cancel the Contract and receive a refund. If any of the products packaging has been opened, damaged or any of the seals broken, we will make a 20% restocking fee. This is without prejudice to any other legal rights and remedies. Advice about your legal right to cancel the Contract is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office.

This is the problem with online grey market dealers.. I hope you get it exchanged or refunded hassle free.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    This is the problem with online grey market dealers.. I hope you get it exchanged or refunded hassle free.
    Where is the problem? It is there in black and white, if you don't like it send it back for a refund.

The problems with buying grey market is that you don't have a clue where it came from or if it's a customer return, it also doesn't come with any manufacturer's warranty. If you send it back to iconic and they repair it, who's going to do the work to put it right? I understand saving a few hundred pounds is always attractive, but when there's an issue, not so good.

Master
    What Burnsey said. I have returned to Iconic within this quoted period and got a full refund no questions asked whatsoever, they were very good. Edited to add, they even arranged / paid for the return courier, I was very impressed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Where is the problem? It is there in black and white, if you don't like it send it back for a refund.
    Believe it or not, I am capable of reading a websites terms and conditions. But, in this case my belief is that it is faulty, not 'not wanted', so I'm not paying a £500 restocking fee. Actually, I am confident if they had another that the two could be compared and the other would not behave the same way.

The website does not say what happens in the case of a fault.

However, what i didn't know, is that since October the new Consumer Rights Act replaced the Sale of Goods Act and I actually have the right - if faulty - for a refund http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...mer-rights-act

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...ghts-act-2015/

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...ntents/enacted

Now, I don't want to go waving consumer law, at the minute it won't come to that.

But, I am not aware that Omega says that what I have spotted is 'within spec' and that was no made clear. That was the point of my post. not whether I being fussy. But, is this the way a new Speedmaster should be? I'm not talking about a bit of dust on the dial that can happen in a watch. I mean a chrono hour hand that is misaligned depending on which point you reset it from (and movable by pressing the reset button), a slightly fast chrono minute hand, and generally fast timekeeping, outside Omega's published spec.

The new Concsumer Credit Law does seem a little more straightforward; IF something is faulty with 30 days, you have the right to a refund. And, I just want an exchange, so hopefully it won't come to that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    What Burnsey said. I have returned to Iconic within this quoted period and got a full refund no questions asked whatsoever, they were very good. Edited to add, they even arranged / paid for the return courier, I was very impressed.
    Good to know, cheers. I'm more than happy to travel in person to save them and me the postage. I am working on the assumption they are good and it'll be fine. I'm just a little anxious because in the past I have found places tend to be a little less good when you are saying something is faulty rather than just not wanted. But, I have not dealt with Iconic, so I don't want to pre-judge.

Banned
    The problems with buying grey market is that you don't have a clue where it came from or if it's a customer return, it also doesn't come with any manufacturer's warranty. If you send it back to iconic and they repair it, who's going to do the work to put it right? I understand saving a few hundred pounds is always attractive, but when there's an issue, not so good.
    All wrong.

You know exactly where it came from and you have full manufacturers warranty, minus the period from when they bought it and sold it on, usually a couple of weeks.

People really should think before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Send it back. Iconic will have no issues. If you read their returns policy, you’d have saved yourself a post...

1. If you are a consumer, you have a legal right to cancel a Contract under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 from the date on which the Contract starts (the day you receive your Dispatch Confirmation email) until 14 working days after your receive your item (the relevant period). This means that during the relevant period if you change your mind or decide for any other reason that you do not want to receive or keep a Product, you can notify us of your decision to cancel the Contract and receive a refund. If any of the products packaging has been opened, damaged or any of the seals broken, we will make a 20% restocking fee. This is without prejudice to any other legal rights and remedies. Advice about your legal right to cancel the Contract is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office.

That doesn't seem legal to me - how would the consumer inspect the item without opening the box?

Consumer protection law doesn't even require you to return stuff in the original boxes.

(
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 10th January 2016 at 14:06.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    All wrong.

You know exactly where it came from and you have full manufacturers warranty, minus the period from when they bought it and sold it on, usually a couple of weeks.

People really should think before posting.
    Really? When I phoned Iconic regarding an Explorer they said that It wasn't currently in stock and they would have to source one from abroad.. When I questioned them about warranty they said it would be covered by their own 12 months warranty.. Maybe this has changed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    That doesn't seem legal to me - how would the consumer inspect the item without opening the box?

Consumer protection law doesn't even require you to return stuff in the original boxes.

(
    This is where I think I might struggle - I have remove the seal of the clasp (the transparent tape). But, the Consumer Credit Act is clear, if faulty (and the law includes 'fit and finish'), a refund should be given. The point of the new October '15 law is to stop shops saying stuff like "you have opened it so you did it". In 30 days you are due a refund IF faulty or not fit for purpose. Iconic haven't updated their T&C's, though they don't strictly need to because of "does not affect your statutory rights" [now the Consumer Credit Act].

If needs be I will quote the Consumer Credit Act, but I hope I don't need to. I just want an exchange, not bothered about a refund!

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    This is where I think I might struggle - I have remove the seal of the clasp (the transparent tape). But, the Consumer Credit Act is clear, if faulty (and the law includes 'fit and finish'), a refund should be given. The point of the new October '15 law is to stop shops saying stuff like "you have opened it so you did it". In 30 days you are due a refund IF faulty or not fit for purpose. Iconic haven't updated their T&C's, though they don't strictly need to because of "does not affect your statutory rights" [now the Consumer Credit Act].

If needs be I will quote the Consumer Credit Act, but I hope I don't need to. I just want an exchange, not bothered about a refund!
    Sure but let's say it wasn't faulty and you just didn't like it, the current consumer protector allows an unqualified right to inspect and sent back - the bits I've read say nothing about even having to use the original boxes just that the item itself is undamaged and unmarked - the law treats watch boxes the same as a shoe box - that is to say it's irrelevant.

However let's say you do return it in the original box, after opening it and looking at it and then returning it - I don't see how a court would see that 20% restock fee as anything but an unfair contract term.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 10th January 2016 at 14:31.

Master
    Really? When I phoned Iconic regarding an Explorer they said that It wasn't currently in stock and they would have to source one from abroad.. When I questioned them about warranty they said it would be covered by their own 12 months warranty.. Maybe this has changed.
    It hasn't changed maybe it was a used one? All their watches are very much new or brand new with full paperwork. Manufacturer warranty has nothing to do with where you bought it from, as long as you have the guarantee card paperwork from the manufacturer and it is within the date stamped on that card/paper you have full warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    It hasn't changed maybe it was a used one? All their watches are very much new or brand new with full paperwork. Manufacturer warranty has nothing to do with where you bought it from, as long as you have the guarantee card paperwork from the manufacturer and it is within the date stamped on that card/paper you have full warranty.
    It was brand new, they said it would be sourced from Greece.

I opted for buying one from my local reputable AD in the end which included the full 5 years manufacture's warranty.

Thats not true. It does come with a full manufacturers warranty. Swatch group fixed the clasp on my Speedy pro from iconic without any issues.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Sure but let's say it wasn't faulty and you just didn't like it, the current consumer protector allows an unqualified right to inspect and sent back - the bits I've read say nothing about even having to use the original boxes just that the item itself is undamaged and unmarked - the law treats watch boxes the same as a shoe box - that is to say it's irrelevant.

However let's say you do return it in the original box, after opening it and looking at it and then returning it - I don't see how a court would see that 20% restock fee as anything but an unfair contract term.
    Yeah I see what you are saying. The law is clear, though obviously there will be some caveats. I think you are right, the idea of restocking fees for stuff unused and unwanted is now not justified (though maybe there is a loophole).

In terms of fault or not fit for purpose, unless you bought it as faulty (and it was advertised as such), then within 30 days, bought online or not, full refund is due. Of course, it has to be demonstrated it is faulty. That all depends on how argumentative the seller is, I guess.

Banned

I opted for buying one from my local reputable AD in the end which included the full 5 years manufacture's warranty.
    The word ‘reputable’ inserted where it is, infers grey dealers are not.

I’d seriously slow down posting, as you are frequently stating inaccuracies, perhaps even ones which will affect someones business, which is very poor form.

I think you were similarly confused when speaking to the grey dealer, but, as I say, slowing down may help.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
    Thats not true. It does come with a full manufacturers warranty. Swatch group fixed the clasp on my Speedy pro from iconic without any issues.
    I'm not concerned about this, you are right, their watches do come with full manufacturer warranty. I know someone who had to have something done under warranty on something from Iconic, and it was fine.

My problem is whether I will have a fight to exchange this (or, if needs be refund, though I don't want a refund if I can avoid it) as it is faulty. I will let the forum know how I get on.

Journeyman

why dont you read Terms and Conditions on their website? I bought two Omega from them and both came with warranty for 4 years.

They offer 12 months warranty on used ones.

To the OP. I wouldn't bother by that and just enjoy the watch. If it get worse you can always speak to Omega directly. If they had it in stock then you can simply return it. If they sourced it for you there is an additional charge as far as i know.

Master
    Believe it or not, I am capable of reading a websites terms and conditions. But, in this case my belief is that it is faulty, not 'not wanted', so I'm not paying a £500 restocking fee. Actually, I am confident if they had another that the two could be compared and the other would not behave the same way.

The website does not say what happens in the case of a fault.

However, what i didn't know, is that since October the new Consumer Rights Act replaced the Sale of Goods Act and I actually have the right - if faulty - for a refund http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...mer-rights-act

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...ghts-act-2015/

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...ntents/enacted

Now, I don't want to go waving consumer law, at the minute it won't come to that.

But, I am not aware that Omega says that what I have spotted is 'within spec' and that was no made clear. That was the point of my post. not whether I being fussy. But, is this the way a new Speedmaster should be? I'm not talking about a bit of dust on the dial that can happen in a watch. I mean a chrono hour hand that is misaligned depending on which point you reset it from (and movable by pressing the reset button), a slightly fast chrono minute hand, and generally fast timekeeping, outside Omega's published spec.

The new Concsumer Credit Law does seem a little more straightforward; IF something is faulty with 30 days, you have the right to a refund. And, I just want an exchange, so hopefully it won't come to that.
    To be clear, I wasn't having a pop at you and sympathise with your situation. My comment was expressly aimed at senraw (hence my quote) who seems intent on spreading FUD regarding Iconic's service and has followed it up nicely with nonsense about the warranty. I am confident if you explain the issue to iconic they will offer to exchange. If you get any static at all, insist on a refund and I can't see how they can realistically refuse. They do have a good reputation for customer service so I doubt you will have an issue.

Not sure if this has already been posted but iconic are pretty clear on their site regarding warranty:

"All our unworn watches come with the Manufacturers International Warranty, this means that if you have any problems with the watch you can take it to your nearest Authorised Dealer who will take care of the problems for you.

All our pre-owned watches will come with the balance of the Manufacturers International Warranty and if their balance is less than one year it will come with a 1 Year Iconic Watches Warranty. "

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    To be clear, I wasn't having a pop at you and sympathise with your situation. My comment was expressly aimed at senraw (hence my quote) who seems intent on spreading FUD regarding Iconic's service and has followed it up nicely with nonsense about the warranty. I am confident if you explain the issue to iconic they will offer to exchange. If you get any static at all, insist on a refund and I can't see how they can realistically refuse. They do have a good reputation for customer service so I doubt you will have an issue.
    Fair enough, no need for you to explain, no offence taken! As I said, I am hopeful that Iconic will sort me out, the good experience of buying is why I would prefer an exchange.

If I get 'static'...I'll report back here.

Just to re-iterate for anyone watching so far, I AM confident the watch has come with a full legit manufacturers warranty from an AD. No worries there. I'll let folks know how they deal with this problems (sending off to Omega, a few days after buying, is not an option, IMHO).

Master

Wow, you got an extra year there, I thought Omega did 4 year warranties, that's all I got with mine bought in the last 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Wow, you got an extra year there, I thought Omega did 4 year warranties, that's all I got with mine bought in the last 6 months
    It was a Explorer that I purchased.

All Rolex watches purchased new from an AD after 01/07/15 now come with 5 years warranty.

...As I said, I am hopeful that Iconic will sort me out, the good experience of buying is why I would prefer an exchange.

If I get 'static'...I'll report back here.

Just to re-iterate for anyone watching so far, I AM confident the watch has come with a full legit manufacturers warranty from an AD. No worries there. I'll let folks know how they deal with this problems (sending off to Omega, a few days after buying, is not an option, IMHO).
    I'm guessing that you won't have any issues. I think it would also be useful to post you experiences good or bad..not just 'static'.

Craftsman
    ... the good experience of buying is why I would prefer an exchange
    This is something I'll tell them, so they know you are "positive" to them.

...If I get 'static'...I'll report back here.
    hopefully you'll sort it out successfully; let us know how it goes in any case, I believe it can be useful for the community.

Master
    All sorted :)

Iconic exchanged it for me, the reply to my email about was "no problem, if there is a fault we'll exchange it".

And, I'm on my way back, having exchanged. Obviously I have no idea about timekeeping - but I am aware Speedys can 'settle' from being fast and that's life. The main thing is the chrono is alligned, moving over at the right time, and most if all, resets spot on with no 'play'.

Interstingly, this one came in the Omgea transparent case with every seal you could imagine, so I think it has gone straight from Omega, to AD, to Iconic, without much handling.

Long story short, you can rely on Iconic Watches as a seller for sure :)

Iconic exchanged it for me, the reply to my email about was "no problem, if there is a fault we'll exchange it".

And, I'm on my way back, having exchanged. Obviously I have no idea about timekeeping - but I am aware Speedys can 'settle' from being fast and that's life. The main thing is the chrono is alligned, moving over at the right time, and most if all, resets spot on with no 'play'.

Interstingly, this one came in the Omgea transparent case with every seal you could imagine, so I think it has gone straight from Omega, to AD, to Iconic, without much handling.

Thanks for posting a follow up and Great to hear that everything was sorted so easily.

Master

Really glad it worked out for you in the end. Happy days.

Craftsman
    very well
    thanks for update
    Last edited by rik_68; 11th January 2016 at 19:47.

Banned
    Well done to you and Iconic, thanks for the update. I am sure your father in law will love it.

Master
    Final update, will give it my FTL tomorrow.

• Watch is great, not stressed about timekeeping (that's HIS problem, but to be honest, he knows what proper watches are like, so won't mind).
    • The Chrono hr hand is spot on, and doesn't wiggle, so, if you have the problem I had, it is definitely not right.
    • About my OCD thing of when the seconds chrono hand ticks over, this is definitely about .5 of a sec later on this watch. Or, in other words, ticks over just before 60, unlike the last one that was a second before.
    • Finally - about the watch - intriguingly, the warranty card (from an Italian AD) is dated...today! So, it has been sent to Iconic with a blank date. I would be surprised they can do that often, but it's a nice touch here ;)

Long story short, a result! Iconic really were very good, and actually I would be 100% confident buying off their website. Having done it in person and visited, there is nothing to worry about with them at all.

Hopefully - eventually - this thread was useful. Ta all!