closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Windows 10 Start Menu Critical Error message

Windows 10 Start Menu Critical Error message

I recently started getting a "Critical Error" message saying the Start Menu wasn't working and would attempt a fix when restarted. Of course this fix wasn't applied and I found my PC was unable to access the various apps which would normally appear with the Start menu. A lengthy trawl of the web seemed to suggest that this was not an uncommon flaw and Microsoft were on the case, some mentions of the issue appearing 3 months ago. I was unable to resolve the problem via any of the suggested methods. Fortunately, I remembered setting a "Restore Point" a little while back and the problem was resolved by doing a "System Restore". Might be worth doing one yourselves, if you haven't done so lately as this problem rather hobbles the PC. In addition, a second user account on the machine was not troubled by this fault so , setting up a second used might be a plan as well?

System Restore is turned off in 10 by default. It would be wise to turn it on now, just in case. Type System Restore in the start search box.

Craftsman
    Couple of other things you could try before system restore:

1. Run CMD as administrator (right click start button) and type sfc /scannow

sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir% \System32\dllcache.

1. Again at an elevated command prompt run the following:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

This will tell you if you have any corruption. If it does report corruption then run:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Couple of other things you could try before system restore:

1. Run CMD as administrator (right click start button) and type sfc /scannow

sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir% \System32\dllcache.

1. Again at an elevated command prompt run the following:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

This will tell you if you have any corruption. If it does report corruption then run:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Jake
    Can this be done on a tablet without a keyboard?

n2

Craftsman
    Yip - done it a few times as I'm a sucker for beta (fast ring) software :)

Jake

Yip - done it a few times as I'm a sucker for beta (fast ring) software :)

Jake
    Could you be kind enough to say how as I cant seem to get it?

n2

Craftsman
    Ok

First thing is to take the tablet out of 'tablet' mode. Do this by pressing the notification icon at bottom right of screen. This, along with notifications, has a selection of system settings - deselect Tablet mode. Doing this should now expose an icon, again at bottom right, that invokes the on-screen keyboard (needed later).

Long press the windows button (bottom left). A menu should now be on your screen. Select the Command Prompt (admin).

The command box should now be visible. Press the keyboard icon and you can now type those commands.

Hope you follow that.

Jake

Ok

First thing is to take the tablet out of 'tablet' mode. Do this by pressing the notification icon at bottom right of screen. This, along with notifications, has a selection of system settings - deselect Tablet mode. Doing this should now expose an icon, again at bottom right, that invokes the on-screen keyboard (needed later).

Long press the windows button (bottom left). A menu should now be on your screen. Select the Command Prompt (admin).

The command box should now be visible. Press the keyboard icon and you can now type those commands.

Hope you follow that.

Jake
    Thanks Jake will give it a go later.

n2

I've had this problem with the install of WIN10 on my PC, Cortana and the start menu would stop functioning although it would not always show the critical error message.
    I found the problem to be Avast virus protection, Once removed the problem disappeared completely, I've also heard that dropbox can cause the same problem.
    wook

Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I've had this problem with the install of WIN10 on my PC, Cortana and the start menu would stop functioning although it would not always show the critical error message.
    I found the problem to be Avast virus protection, Once removed the problem disappeared completely, I've also heard that dropbox can cause the same problem.
    wook
    I also deleted Dropbox , as it was suggested that might be the issue, but it wasn't !!!

No idea why it would be: it's little more than a link to the Cloud.

It can be that the startup is from another harddrive, press f10 while starting