closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Reasonable asking price for Ivory SPEEDBIRD III - PRS-22?

Apprentice

Question Reasonable asking price for Ivory SPEEDBIRD III - PRS-22?

Hi folks. I am considering selling my Ivory dial Speedbird III to help fund another purchase and was wondering what would be considered a fair asking price? It's in excellent condition with case and NATO strap and is one of the later ones with the ETA2824-2 "Top" movement.

Also, if I did put it on eBay (I haven't yet) are you allowed to post a heads up on the forum or is that considered bad form?

Thanks
    Col

It would be considered bad form to link to your own Ebay auction. All sales and sales type activity should be kept to the Sales Corner.

There are people (more cynical than me) who even consider 'What's my xxxx worth?' posts as 'come and get me' sales posts in disguise. Hard to believe, I know!

There weren't any of the ivory dial with a "Top" movement. All the ivory dials were from the first batch manufactured and all these had the standard movement. They haven't been made since 2009.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    There weren't any of the ivory dial with a "Top" movement. All the ivory dials were from the first batch manufactured and all these had the standard movement. They haven't been made since 2009.

Eddie
    Apologies Eddie - I was convinced I asked you a few years back what grade the movement was and was told it was a 'Top', so I was genuinely surprised to see your post. I checked back through my email and I was indeed mistaken, so I am sorry for posting this incorrect information.

The reply I remembered was from Sinn when I bought a 356. What you actually told me at the time was "It is the standard grade ETA2824-2 Colin but it's gilded in the PTS-22 ivory dial."

Just want to set the record straight - I'm not trying to pull a fly one, and was only requesting the advice of more experienced owners as to a fair price if I decided to sell. If I do decide to sell I won't be canvassing the forums and will simply quietly put it up on eBay. I definately appreciate the forums rules, but I don't post here that much which is why I asked.

Apologies again if I've p*ssed anyone off.
    Col
    Last edited by coliea; 26th January 2016 at 11:14.

Craftsman
    Here are a couple of later ones that have been put up for sale recently. Though I don't see any with the Ivory dial.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...0-2781898.html $450

http://www.thewatchsite.com/8-seiko-...ii-625-us.html $625

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...a-1533810.html $525

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    Here are a couple of later ones that have been put up for sale recently. Though I don't see any with the Ivory dial.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...0-2781898.html $450

http://www.thewatchsite.com/8-seiko-...ii-625-us.html $625

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...a-1533810.html $525
    Thanks for those links jcm3, that's very helpful. I usually set up auctions with a 99p start but in this case I'd like the protection of a reserve and that gives me a better idea of what would be reasonable.

Cheers
    Col

Master
    £250-350 depending on condition last time I looked.
    Although I am intrigued regards the ivory dial;
    -worth more due to rarity?
    -rarity because it's less desirable?

I was lucky to drop on a nice Creambird on the bay as they don't seem to crop up in SC very often I love it as much as the black faced SB III it has a warm glow about it.

Craftsman

PRS22

Have to say I really like the ivory dial, Cheers, JohnB4

Journeyman
    About how many ivory dial SBIII were produced? I poked around on the TF website and found numbers produced of other models, but no details about the production of the ivory dial SBIII. Looks great.

I originally had 100 of the ivory dial made but after disappointing sales, I had 50 of them redialled with black dials.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I originally had 100 of the ivory dial made but after disappointing sales, I had 50 of them redialled with black dials.

Eddie
    What a shame it didn't sell better. I've always thought it was a beauty.

This thread has inspired me to wear mine today! Are there really only 50???

Well with my recent acquisition of a PRS3LE it would appear I now have 2 limited editions of Eddies finest in my small collection so that's a result, I did wonder why you didn't see many Ivorybirds come up for sale.

Craftsman
    I too bought one via eBay. Paid more than the suggested price range in the post in this thread but the bracelet had not been worn and the watch was in great shape, keeping excellent time. Price has been forgotten, quality remains.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glickman View Post
    This thread has inspired me to wear mine today! Are there really only 50???

I am inadvertently wearing my rarest watch today it seems - without realising it had that small a number!