closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rado watches

Rado watches

How come I never see Rado watches on forums, they are not exactly cheap and do some nice vintage models, most seem to be dress type now. I bought a bracelet style chrono that I really love, always gets lots of attention.

liking the vintage stuff, the more recent models seem pretty forgettable though ...

On a couple of other forums I've been a member of there are guys with large collections of vintage Rados.

I have an old Green horse, The two Sea Horses at the bottom of the dial seem to resemble a womans naked torso to me!!

[IMG]rado green horse by johnbaz77, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sorry, Had to use Flickr for the pic as Photobucket is acting up again

John

Master
    Lovely ceramics which they have invested a lot in but they come across a 'fashion' watch. Would you choose to spend your money on Cartier/Mont Blanc or Rado?

I have a beautiful ceramic Diastar.
    Titanium clasp, beautiful to behold, really elegant and stylish.
    Incredibly thin, and perfect with a DJ.

Highly recommended.

I can understand why some might consider them "fashion" watches but personally I don't think they get the credit they deserve on enthusiast forums. The new stuff is certainly very well made with some interesting designs while the crownless Hyperchrome Touch Dual Timer features probably one of the most impressive quartz movements I've ever played with.

Master
    Years back I had the opportunity to purchase a mint NOS Rado NCC 101. I stalled and missed it! Grrr, still annoyed - it was a beauty!

Grand Master
    I`ve always liked the black ceramic ones, totally different from everything else I own but they have an appeal that's unique IMO. Never talked myself into buying one in the past , and I`ve got too many watches thesedays.

Beware of fakes, they're certainly out there!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`ve always liked the black ceramic ones, totally different from everything else I own but they have an appeal that's unique IMO. Never talked myself into buying one in the past , and I`ve got too many watches these days.

Beware of fakes, they're certainly out there!

Paul
    I agree I have been in the same boat. REally like the black ceramic ones they are producing right now and there were some cracking deals in the states around black Friday for some of them although the customs duty would no doubt wipe out the potential savings. They seem much cheaper in the states via grey dealers as Oris seem to as well.

Master
    I have tried on the black ceramic ones a few times as I like the look, but always look too feminine when I put one on - hence never bought one

a bargain I got from ashford in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    a bargain I got from ashford in the US
    This was one (not sure if its the same model) of my first Swiss watches... I really liked it. I think Rado with their latest stuff have lost their edge a bit... Hopefully they can bounce back with some new and interesting models.

Grand Master
    I've always liked the look of the vintage "horse" models, but which to go for? there seem to be a few!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    For me they are always "dress" watches. So never really see them day to day, where people seem to prefer "sporty" models. I still think there's a place for them and glad they do their on thing.

I bought the wife one about 12 years ago and it still looks brand new even though she wears it 24/7.

Unfortunately I don't suit dressy or I'd have bought a black ceramic one long ago.

I have a two tone Jubilee that I inherited and wore from 2000 - 2009 or thereabouts. But it looks ridiculously small on me now. The newer mens ones are bigger. The ceramic cases are really nice and my one still looks new even though it''s well over 20 years old.

I just bought a Captain Cook dive watch with internal rotating bezel from a guy in Malta who is a real Rado fan (and also a big vintage Seiko fan). I would say it's probably quite useless for its intended purpose as the bezel rotates freely in either direction if you do anything much more than look at it, but it is interesting and characterful, albeit small for a "sports" watch.

I think their main claim to fame innovation wise was in the use of hard/scratchproof materials.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to have a black ceramic one with an integrated bracelet. Liked it while I had it but my preference is auto and it was a Quartz so didnt stay very long. My friend bought it from me and it's still immaculate despite taking a few smacks in a challenging behaviour unit.

Had mine since 2001 and love it, but unfortunately hardly wear it. I was going to Part ex it against something, but the wife said she wanted it, so need to get the bracelet resized and it'll be her new daily.

Journeyman
    I have an old silver star which still looks great and works well, though in reality I basically never wear it (too small). Can't seem to warm to the black ceramics even though they are very striking, just too shiny or something!

Have an old Balboa with a facetted crystal and tungsten case. Looks like a refugee from the 70's and is a great little watch. Even the red anchor moves, with a little encouragement.

Apprentice

Vintage Rados

Hi, I haven't logged on here for a while but vintage Rados are what I collect, small selection below

Quote Originally Posted by johnpat View Post
    Hi, I haven't logged on here for a while but vintage Rados are what I collect, small selection below
    Nice and unusual collection, couple of designs I've never seen before. Good work!

They certainly made some interesting watches in the past, why such a big departure from their roots, why no reissues or nods to past pieces ??

Lovely pieces; miss my Anatom.

Craftsman
    I like the little anchor that rolls around on the vintage models.

I quite like the ceramic models (at the right price) and don't see them as fashion watches at all. However, I suspect I might be alone with this view.

Craftsman
    I've always flirted with the idea of one of the sea horse vintage models, and actually some of the newer ceramic models, but never pulled the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    I quite like the ceramic models (at the right price) and don't see them as fashion watches at all. However, I suspect I might be alone with this view.
    You're not alone, there is two of us😄

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    They certainly made some interesting watches in the past, why such a big departure from their roots, why no reissues or nods to past pieces ??

This is my 2012 reissue of the 1969 mk 1. I got it from Ashford for under £400 in December and is now probably my most worn watch:

Got to love the flimsy NSA style bracelet with spring loaded clasp.

my colleague was asking me about this and I told her to check it out in some local shops. Then she surprised me by saying that this quartz ceramica listed around $3K..10% discount was offered by the shop.

I think Rado have a much bigger brand recognition in the far east. I love em. some pretty unique looking pieces, well made, good looking and hard wearing - (although telling the exact time on the rectangular jubilee's without indices can be challenging.)
    Last edited by redsnapper; 5th February 2016 at 13:00.

Apprentice
    This is my oldest Rado, probably 1950s possibly earlier

Apprentice
    Recently acquired 1970s vintage DiaStar 515, tungsten carbide case with lapis lazuli mineral dial

Last edited by johnpat; 7th February 2016 at 19:56.

That is bloody lovely John. How big is it?

Craftsman
    Recently acquired 1970s vintage DiaStar 515, tungsten carbide case with lapis lazuli mineral dial

Not seen one before, very nice!

Master
    I have to agree.

Never knew I liked vintage Rados before! Personally not a fan of the ceramics (too much crossover with fashion watches for me) but not enough for me to say I hate them.

Apprentice
    this is the Tiger Eye version of the 515 on a stainless steel SK fishtail bracelet, rare as ... The case is 37mm (ex crown) and 40mm lug to lug

Last edited by johnpat; 8th February 2016 at 17:56.

Blog Entries

That is very nice indeed. It is very 1970s without being out of place today.

If I may ask, where did you find it and how much did you pay?

Craftsman
    My friend at work has a lovely one - he tells me Rado are really really popular with Indian's (he's Indian himself) - but he has no idea why!

this is the Tiger Eye version of the 515 on a stainless steel SK fishtail bracelet, rare as ... The case is 37mm (ex crown) and 40mm lug to lug

Isn't that the watch Muhammad Ali used to wear when he was a brand ambassador for Rado?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
    Isn't that the watch Muhammad Ali used to wear when he was a brand ambassador for Rado?
    Ali's watch was the DS DiaMaster, a Certina/Rado collaboration. The model used for the promotion did have the tiger eye dial, link below

http://www.vintagecertinas.ch/en/diamastereng.html

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    That is very nice indeed. It is very 1970s without being out of place today.

If I may ask, where did you find it and how much did you pay?
    The models with standard dials in reasonable condition can be found for around £200. The ceramic dials with original SK fishtail bracelets often go north of £500

Rarely worn now, here's my ceramic cased DiaStar.

Blog Entries
    The models with standard dials in reasonable condition can be found for around £200. The ceramic dials with original SK fishtail bracelets often go north of £500
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by smithdj10 View Post
    My friend at work has a lovely one - he tells me Rado are really really popular with Indian's (he's Indian himself) - but he has no idea why!
    I have noticed this preference as well.

Apprentice
    Todays offering is a 1970s Rado Balboa V Aster, again a tungsten carbide case (copper tone), a facetted sapphire crystal and dual tone NSA style seven row bracelet. This version has a deep plum coloured mineral dial.

Apprentice
    Here is another example of the DiaStar 515, incredibly sharp and clean for a 1970s piece.