closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Music you were brought up on.

Music you were brought up on.

I was watching the idiot box the other day and a piece of music came up on an advert that I'd totally forgotten about. The advert was the one with Avengers where all of the coloured water flows back to the TV. I think it's something to do with Sky 4K but didn't pay that much attention. The song was by Sammy Davis Jnr- It's gotta be me. The old man used to play the living Jesus out of this song and so it was instantly recognisable although I don't think I've heard it since then. Thanks to my older brothers John Denver, Bread and Chicago also made up a big part of the tunes in my brain....thanks bros!

What sticks in your nurry?

http://youtu.be/Nl4SRVXgGiI

FFF

Status Quo, James Last and Abba I'm afraid. I don't think it's ever left me!

Journeyman
    For me, it was "All British Invasion, All the Time".

My sister was 13 when the Beatles hit and after 1964 it was all over. Fab 4, Stones, Who, Kinks, Pacemakers, Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Hermits, Animals . . . that was the soundtrack in our house.
    Last edited by Bison61; 17th February 2016 at 18:40.

Grand Master
    I was luckier than most, or not depending upon your tastes....I was brought up on Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Groundhogs, Tangerine Dream and Jimi Hendrix. My sister did play Peter Stardesdt to death though, it's still ingrained on my brain 40 years later.....
    One of my brothers in law had a massive collection of folk, world, reggae and fusion which very much left it's mark too.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Bison61 View Post
    For me, it was all "British Invasion, All the Time".

My sister was 13 when the Beatles hit and after 1964 it was all over. Fab 4, Stones, Who, Kinks, Pacemakers, Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Hermits, Animals . . . that was the soundtrack in our house.
    Love the kinks, Waterloo sunset one of my all time favourites.

Elvis was just emerging from Sun Records in the mid-50s as I was starting to listen to the radio, although I also have strong memories of Gogi Grant, Patti Page, Rosemary Clooney, and others from the pre-Rock era. (Can you believe I'm able to use a smartphone?)
    Last edited by pacifichrono; 17th February 2016 at 02:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post

You are obviously a man of taste and discernment, Franky.

Rob

Craftsman
    My Ma's influence was a big range of stuff, everything from Motown to Britpop and bands like the Killers. Dad's influence was a lot of folk and singer/songwriter acoustic stuff - Tracy Chapman, Joni Mitchell etc. Two of the standouts were Fun Lovin' Criminals (from Mum) who we went to see for the first time last weekend, and the other was Barenaked Ladies (Dad's) who i've seen three or four times now!

Elvis, Billy Fury, Eddie Cochrane and Phil Spector are ones that stand out mainly for me. I loved my dads music taste.

Mum was a massive Queen fan and they weren't for me but I totally get them as I've got older.

Going to Graceland in 2014 was a huge thing and one holiday I wish my dad could have been there with me. Would love to take him one day but doubt it will happen

Master
    I was bought up on late 70s early 80s electronica,human league heaven 17 far better than the crap on the radio nowadays

Master
    My parents were (are) big music fans so back in the 60s we had Dylan, Baez, Beach Boys; Franklin, Fitzgerald and of course Beatles,Stones,Kinks etc.

I remember when Sgt Pepper's came out it was played to death. Quite often they would buy the sheet music too so we would be subjected to current numbers on the piano/guitar as well as the "Hi Fi"

Halcyon days ....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I was bought up on late 70s early 80s electronica,human league heaven 17 far better than the crap on the radio nowadays
    That was my own musical taste. Loved the Sheffield bands of that era.

Master
    Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Matt Monro etc. We were an easy listening house with the odd Ol Blue Eyes thrown in for parties.

Master
    Mum loved Jonny Mathis, Shirley Bassey and there were a few Motown compilations around the place, Dad was I to his Rock n Roll but didn't play it much by then. Could have been worse I suppose, but as the eldest child I didn't have any older siblings blazing a trail for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Saw Ray Davies perform at the Brecon Jazz festival last year, a very memorable evening. Even in his 70s the guy has still got it.

My dad liked Female vocalists. His younger musical tastes were, apparently, Jazz orientated ("Nice...")

We had records by Nancy Sinatra, Carole King, Carly Simon (a favourite of his) and the ilk.

My abiding memory is of a couple of Astrud Gilberto records, who I thought was just incredible and still do.

It's stuck with me to a degree for sure.

I still enjoy female vocalists like Sheryl Crow, Aimee Mann, Amy Winehouse, Shakira, Sara Bareilles and many others.

M

Stevie Wonder's Secret Life of Plants and Hotter Than July and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

Still brilliant today

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Stevie Wonder's Secret Life of Plants and Hotter Than July and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

Still brilliant today
    Ha ha - How to make a lot of people feel old!!! I remember both those albums being released in my teens!

M

Journeyman
    The Rolling Stones, The Animals, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, BTO etc.... My dad had a huge collection of classic rock, back then it wasn't classic yet. We got into Uriah Heep and Blackfoot in the 80's when my sister dated Ken Hensley.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Isn't it funny how life works....Those brought up in the sixties were saying the same thing about the crap on the radio in the early eighties..

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Isn't it funny how life works....Those brought up in the sixties were saying the same thing about the crap on the radio in the early eighties..
    True, there was always crap around and there always will be, but as a teen I was quite into Sixties music, because I found most '70s music that many of my contemporaries were into was overblown, pompous and self-indulgent.

Punk was a little too raw for my taste (although I felt it was a much needed breath of fresh air and I remain a huge Clash fan), but I really liked the stuff that followed (into the early 90s and even beyond).

I was discussing this with my daughter recently and I was saying that the 80s, especially, had a lot of distinct genres developing (Everyone remembers the electro stuff, but there was disco, Ska/Reggae, early Rap and a lot of rock - mostly out of the States to be fair), whereas there doesn't seem to be much new these days.

Maybe I am just getting old, but it's hard to point to anything new these days.

Even ignoring the dirge of manufactured bands (which are nothing new, the TV reality creation maybe, but not bands put together by record companies - Take a bow SAW, not to mention Mickey Most and others), most mainstream stuff these days fits neatly into an existing genre - That wasn't true in the 1980s.

It will change of course, it always does, but (as with films) you don't feel there's much appetite for risk these days (just do another remake, launch another rap/hip-hop act, another female singer who sounds a bit like Adele...)

That said, I enjoy many of today's performers. I just wonder if they'll stand the test of time as well as some of the '80s - or 60s for that matter - crap'.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 17th February 2016 at 11:36.

Journeyman
    born in the early 70's grow up through the 80's so Im a big 'Blondie' lover

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Ha ha - How to make a lot of people feel old!!! I remember both those albums being released in my teens!

M
    I was born in '72 and remember those albums being played on Saturday mornings. Great memories.

Cool Well I have my Mum to blame for...

Abba / Roger Whittaker / Barry Manilow / Kate Bush / Perry Como / Val Doonican / Boney M / Richard Clayderman

Although my taste was Zeppelin/Purple/Sabbath, followed by Rainbow, Judas Priest, AC/DC etc, the popular music was of course the truly awful Slade, Sweet, Rubettes, Osmonds, Cassidy etc etc...............the list is long!!

Grand Master
    Born in '58, I listened to 60s charts singles (elder sister used to buy 'em). Started to become 'musically aware' around 71/72, got into Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple, Alice Cooper , Yes, Genesis..........but despite the long hair and Levis I was a closet soul fan! Mondays and Wednesdays at Wakefield Mecca was the place to be (age 15-16), plenty of soul music......and girls. Philly , Motown, Northern Soul....them wer't days! A mate of mine was into the Who around '73 when Quadraphenia was out....I didn`t get it till I reached 19-20 but since then the Who have been a favourite of mine.

Mum played a few Glen Miller records which I still like, sister got into Simon and Garfunkel which I wasn`t keen on but now appreciate.

Paul

Master
    I'm a 90s kid, so my era was electronic and dance.

Not very musical, but a magical time to be alive.

Needless to say my tastes have broadened.

Slade may have had some so-so singles released, but the b sides were usually good. Live, they were brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingCrazy View Post
    born in the early 70's grow up through the 80's so Im a big 'Blondie' lover
    I was born in 1947 and also a big 'Blondie' lover - - gotta remember that Debbie was born in 1945!

Last edited by pacifichrono; 17th February 2016 at 19:56.

I was born in 1980 and Springsteen was the sound of my early days both my mum and dad loved him
    Along with the fine young canibals, the Eagles and big country.
    Looking at my music collection it's obviously had an impact as they are all in there

Craftsman
    Came from a family not really interested in music, radio never on, most we did was watch TOTP. Then by chance one day I came across a cassette tape with Black Sabbath on it, and another world opened up before me...

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Elvis, Billy Fury, Eddie Cochrane and Phil Spector are ones that stand out mainly for me. I loved my dads music taste.

Mum was a massive Queen fan and they weren't for me but I totally get them as I've got older.

Going to Graceland in 2014 was a huge thing and one holiday I wish my dad could have been there with me. Would love to take him one day but doubt it will happen
    Eddie Cochran died just down the road from us in Chippenham, been past his memorial a few times. He died far too young.

Master
    In my teens in the 80s we had cable TV so it was Sky, MTV and lots of Hard Rock or what you could call American TV Hard Rock, stuff like Van Halen and Motley Crew but all this led me back through British Metal, 70s rock, Hendrix and earlier into Jazz and Blues. So there you go it was the big hair of Pat Sharp and Ronnie the Runner digging out rock videos that started it (Sky Trax - The Great Video Race)!

Master
    https://youtu.be/ypuRuTsbhuk

Brings back memories of 80s cable TV. That ZZ Top song and the album it came from, had forgotten about that was some of my favourite music from that era.
    Last edited by NJH; 17th February 2016 at 21:41.

Craftsman