closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 33% off a Limited Edition X-33 Skywalker anybody?

Master

33% off a Limited Edition X-33 Skywalker anybody?

Is it really only 30m WR? I always assumed it was more than that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    This always comes up. Something to do with -ve pressure and Space, which it's designed for. An incredible watch; don't let the WR put you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Why? It's a watch designed for pilots/astronauts! Not likely to get more than a light splashing in the ISS!

I was only looking at this (and the Pelagos) on The Iconic site the other day, there is a pre-owned at Fitzrovia for a little less money, ditto Pelagos.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    I was only looking at this (and the Pelagos) on The Iconic site the other day, there is a pre-owned at Fitzrovia for a little less money, ditto Pelagos.
    I might not be able to resist that! Are you going for it?

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I might not be able to resist that! Are you going for it?
    Unfortunately not, I've a 50th birthday watch to buy someone and it's not me :(

Never dealt with the aforementioned company before but prices on their website can be keen, their eBay shop has the usual markup.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    This always comes up. Something to do with -ve pressure and Space, which it's designed for. An incredible watch; don't let the WR put you off.
    I thought the issue was a need for a thin back to maintain a sufficiently loud alarm. I think I read something in that regard from a reputable source. Will try to find it again.

... found it here:
    http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/watch-...x-33-overview/

While it may be wise to avoid unnecessary water contact with the X-33 and to never use the pushers or pull out the crown under water, the seemingly limited 30m water resistance rating was only predicated on testing showing that the pressure at greater depths risked deforming the thin hollow double caseback required amplify the alarm to the NASA 80dB spec. When it comes to alarm volume and water resistance in a watch, apparently we cannot have our cake and eat it too if we’re using titanium as the case material.
    Last edited by Foodle; 23rd February 2016 at 01:09.

I don't think WR is a big problem for the X-33.

From this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    I took mine for a dive.

Admittedly because I forgot I was wearing it when kitting up, but nevertheless it survived without any water ingress.

That's a lot of watch for the money, and the extra dash of colour, the extra lume around the bezel, really makes it stand out. Here's mine -

[img]http://i.imgur.com/wCNRzOx.jpg[img]

- - - Updated - - -

That's a lot of watch for the money, and the extra dash of colour, the extra lume around the bezel, really makes it stand out. Here's mine -

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post

[img]http://i.imgur.com/wCNRzOx.jpg[img]

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible to turn the display completely off to make it black?

Whilst it might be a lot of watch for the money - it does not do anything a much cheaper G Shock or any other quartz watch will do. So the 33% reduction is good but the probability is you will still lose a wadge of cash if you come to sell it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    Whilst it might be a lot of watch for the money - it does not do anything a much cheaper G Shock or any other quartz watch will do. So the 33% reduction is good but the probability is you will still lose a wadge of cash if you come to sell it.

Master
    Whilst it might be a lot of watch for the money - it does not do anything a much cheaper G Shock or any other quartz watch will do.
    Can't you say that about any watch though?

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I don't think WR is a big problem for the X-33.
    I think it's pretty rare for anyone to dive below 30m, unless you're welding oil rigs. Even if you did, the worst that would happen is that you'd bend the alarm resonator.

Quote Originally Posted by Pottifar View Post
    Is it possible to turn the display completely off to make it black?
    I dont believe so - it does go into some sort of sleep mode after a few days.. I think the older version did let you shut off the display (I may be mistaken).

I love these and the Aerospace - not had a X33 yet - though I probably would want the bracelet standard version.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    not had a X33 yet - though I probably would want the bracelet standard version.
    Ditto. It's a lot of money for a quartz which in itself is fine by me, but with that I want something that is going to age well and I'm not convinced the special edition will.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I think it's pretty rare for anyone to dive below 30m, unless you're welding oil rigs. Even if you did, the worst that would happen is that you'd bend the alarm resonator.
    You do know 30m is actually 30m, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pottifar View Post
    You do know 30m is actually 30m, right?
    I... think so. (Now I'm not so sure.)

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    I think the older version did let you shut off the display (I may be mistaken).
    You are quite correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Ditto. It's a lot of money for a quartz which in itself is fine by me, but with that I want something that is going to age well and I'm not convinced the special edition will.
    If one comes to understand the technology and development that goes into a high end quartz watch, it isn't at all surprising that they cost a lot of money. The Cal 1666 in particular is no off-the-shelf movement.

Apparently when you move your arms about under water even a few meters down it actually equates to a much greater depth so 30m WR is essentially just shower proof, still great watches though and at 33% off a good deal for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Apparently when you move your arms about under water even a few meters down it actually equates to a much greater depth
    You know better than to repeat old wives' tales like that. If not, come back when you do.

Master
    Apparently when you move your arms about under water even a few meters down it actually equates to a much greater depth so 30m WR is essentially just shower proof, still great watches though and at 33% off a good deal for someone.
    I'm intrigued by the physics behind this. How does moving your arms about at 5m replicate the pressures at 30m?

You know better than to repeat old wives' tales like that. If not, come back when you do.
    There's numerous articles on the subject but here's one, I suggest you don't bother coming back at all - you daft comments won't be missed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark

Journeyman
    There's numerous articles on the subject but here's one, I suggest you don't bother coming back at all - you daft comments won't be missed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark
    And the article you cite essentially says that it's an old wives' tale. So thanks for citing evidence that you're wrong.

From the article you cite (emphasis mine):
    Movement induced dynamic pressure increase is sometimes the subject of urban myths and marketing arguments for diver's watches with high water resistance ratings. When a diver makes a fast swimming movement of 10 m/s (32.8 ft/s) (the best competitive swimmers and finswimmers do not move their hands nor swim that fast[2]) physics dictates that the diver generates a dynamic pressure of 50 kPa or the equivalent of 5 metres of additional water depth.[3]
    Last edited by Foodle; 23rd February 2016 at 21:15.

It's not that rare, the entry level PADI open water certifies up to 18m, but Advanced and above is up to 40 (or more). Most resort dives are in the 18-30 range but it's pretty common for the first of the day to be 30-40m. My G-Shock worked just fine at 55m interestingly. Was pre-occupied with Hammerhead sharks at the time to notice much else about it's functionality
    Last edited by Megatron; 23rd February 2016 at 21:20.

Journeyman
    it does not do anything a much cheaper G Shock or any other quartz watch will do.
    Same could be said of almost every watch ever discussed on this forum. So I guess it's time to close up shop then, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    It's not that rare, the entry level PADI open water certifies up to 18m, but Advanced and above is up to 40 (or more). Most resort dives are in the 18-30 range but it's pretty common for the first of the day to be 30-40m. My G-Shock worked just fine at 55m interestingly. Was pre-occupied with Hammerhead sharks at the time to notice much else about it's functionality
    Thanks, very interesting! I've never dived, but would love to have a go. Probably not with an X-33. Aren't most G-Shocks 100m anyway, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
    And the article you cite essentially says that it's an old wives' tale. So thanks for citing evidence that you're wrong.

From the article you cite (emphasis mine):
    I've really upset some keyboard warriors tonight, my main point was just to say what this article confirms - 30m is only Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. Not suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkelling, water related work and fishing, so how has the article evidenced I was wrong, quite the opposite in fact.
    Last edited by shalako; 23rd February 2016 at 21:49.

Is watch WR not common knowledge in these forum parts?

Up to 50m = splash or rain proof

Up to 100m = swim proof

200m+ means it can be use for diving to depths.

I always assumed that was an industry standard. I'm sure it certainly used to be 20 years ago when I was doing lots of diving and dreaming of owning the latest dive watch.

Journeyman
    I've really upset some keyboard warriors tonight, my main point was just to say what this article confirms - 30m is only Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. Not suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkelling, water related work and fishing, so how has the article evidenced I was wrong, quite the opposite in fact.
    I'm neither a "keyboard warrior" nor upset, but no ad hominem attack will remove the fact that you stated something that was blatantly incorrect and were disproven by your own evidence. If anyone is deserving of the "keyboard warrior" label, it would be the person who's not mature enough to admit that they were wrong in the face of cold hard facts of their own choosing.

Master
    Why are you arguing over the water resistance of a watch designed for space duty? It is a bit like moaning that your Patek Moonphase doesn't have an LCD light: it isn't designed that way and would be bloody silly if it were.

I won't be swimming in my X-33, I will pick a watch actually designed with water resistance in mind, an SMP for instance, probably in GMT form since this is a useful travel feature!

Quote Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
    I'm neither a "keyboard warrior" nor upset, but no ad hominem attack will remove the fact that you stated something that was blatantly incorrect and were disproven by your own evidence. If anyone is deserving of the "keyboard warrior" label, it would be the person who's not mature enough to admit that they were wrong in the face of cold hard facts of their own choosing.
    My main point was that it was just shower proof which is what the article clearly confirmed, not even sure why I'm still having to explain what was an innocent comment about what you can and can't use a 30m rated watch for.....
    Last edited by shalako; 24th February 2016 at 00:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I won't be swimming in my X-33, I will pick a watch actually designed with water resistance in mind, an SMP for instance, probably in GMT form since this is a useful travel feature!
    How far out were you thinking of swimming, as a matter of interest?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    How far out were you thinking of swimming, as a matter of interest?
    Probably not far enough to need to change times zones I concede.

I have an interest in this discussion, I own the Solar Impulse version, and there are a couple of things I can hopefully add to the discussion.
    - the limited 30m WR is a function of the design of the case back, which allows for a very loud alarm. The crown, pushers, crystal, etc, on another watch would allow greater WR. Now I understand that a watch is only as strong as it's weakest point, but there is no reason not to shower, surface swim with the X-33, certainly not the Mk III.
    - I've yet to find a G-Shock that would replace my X-33, and I've tried. I've looked at a couple of mid- to top-end GShocks, around the £200-300 range, as well as the Seiko Astron, and yes, they often have more features, but they are over complicated, busy, hard to love. None of the Casios have stuck. I'll keep trying, I'm sure, and some of the newer MrG ones look interesting, but they never displace the Omega from my wrist.
    - the X-33 is the perfect travel watch. When I travel, I want GMT and time zone capability, great lume, and waterproof enough that I never take it off. My Omega is perfect for that.

Blog Entries
    Omega does state they test to the depth rating stated. So 30m water pressure for their 30m wrt watches. Dynamic pressure may add 0.5m equivalent pressure. So should be good for surface swimming and water sports. The X-33 has anecdotal evidence it is good to 100m except for the echo chamber restricting it to 30m because of deformation.

Ref. http://www.omegawatches.com/fileadmi...ance_chart.pdf

i have had the MKII and own the MK III. Apparently the Americas cup team wore X-33 so seems good for sailing manoeuvres.

Anyway. Let's not fit about this guys?

Martyn

I dont see the issue, its not marketed as a divers watch?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I dont see the issue, its not marketed as a divers watch?
    amen to that! It's been designed for space duties. And I enjoy the fact they actually get worn my esa and nasa and Russian astronauts on Mir etc.

Master
    I can't quote Walter, but what he said. Comparing this to a Casio (as much as I love them), is like comparing a Toyota GT-86 with a Nissan GTR. On the face of it, they're similar, but when it comes down to it, one is way better in every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    It's not that unusual, true, but I suspect if you plotted number of dives worldwide against depth, dives over 30M would make up a pretty insignificant proportion.

I dive a fair bit, but I don't suppose more than 5-10% of my dives are deeper than 30M - Sure, you'll find a handful of 'tech' divers who never dive shallower than 40M and often go much deeper, but they make up a tiny proportion of the overall diving community which is mostly holiday divers in warm climes following a guide...

M