closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's In The Box? SOTC February/March 2016

Blog Entries

What's In The Box? SOTC February/March 2016

I’ve not done one of these for a while so thought it a good opportunity to get the collection together and assess where we are at and where to take it next. That and the wife and child had popped out for a couple of hours there was a rare chance to get out the camera and take a few snaps. The end result is a bit rough round the edges as they were fairly rushed but it was fun nonetheless.

So, what's currently in the box?

1. Rolex Datejust II - 116234 - Rhodium Dial w/Arabic Numbers
    The only keeper in the collection, my wedding day watch and a gift from my wife. I commemorated the occasion with a custom caseback engraving, which exceeded my expectations. These 41mm Datejust's can be a bit marmite, some like, some don't, and these are likely to be replaced soon by a 40mm version. That said I quite like the size and the fluted bezel is utterly mesmerising when the like catches it.

2. Rolex Explorer II - 216570 - White Dial
    Continuing the Rolex theme, has been my daily wearer for some time now. I'm most definitely in the white dial camp, and this is easily the most legible dial of any I have owned. Supremely comfortable due to the 42mm diameter and the subsequent weight balance on the wrist. Love it.

3. Omega Speedmaster Professional - 3573.50 – ‘Sapphire Sandwich’
    Every collections needs a Speedy, right? My 4th Speedy, and my 1st sapphire sandwich. Certainly not one for the purists, but having owned it for almost a couple of months I think I actually prefer it from the original hesalite version. An obvious classic but this time with the more sensible sapphire crystal which I find improves the clarity of the dial. And of course that caseback housing the decorated 1861 movement, the cal 1863 - lovely.

4. Rolex Submariner - 116610LV - The 'Hulk'
    The third time I've owned one of these and there is literally no way I'm making the same mistake of selling this one. Not even a fan of the colour green up until first owning one of these, but that dial is something else and the transformation from black to emerald green on the sunburst dial is a sight to behold.

5. Glashütte Original PanoInverse XL
    Quirky is the first word that springs to mind when I see this, and quirky it most certainly is. Trademark off centre dial, ribbed three quarter plate, a number of rubies and an exposed duplex swan neck regulator and balance bridge. Blow it up to 42mm and it’s all a bit bonkers really. I find myself double taking when I check the time and forget I have this on my wrist. Conversational piece.

6. Audemars Piguet Royal Oak - 15202ST.OO.1240ST.01 – ‘Jumbo’
    This is strange one; I was not sure how I’d get on with this when I first purchased it. Having at the time owned a 15300 this would ordinarily have no chance of surviving in such competition but as soon as it arrived there was an unlikely winner. Now, easily my favourite watch in the collection, a true timeless classic. Exquisite brushed/polished finish synonymous with the Royal Oak, and a delicacy that’s hard to describe. At only 8mm thick, it literally melts onto the wrist. Add in the petite tapisserie dial and gorgeous caseback it’s utterly sublime.

7. Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope - 027/4003.44
    I’m laying the blame for this purchase solely at the doorstep of our own fiddler69. Not a week was going by when I wasn’t being subjected to the constant reminder of how beautiful these were. Originally released in 1961 it retains all of its Bauhaus influence, one of the cleanest dials I’ve seen. Quite a strange beast with its UFO case and domed crystal, it’s certainly not the most comfortable but it more than makes up for it in other ways.

8. Omega Speedmaster Professional – 3578.51 – ‘Snoopy Award’
    Every collections needs a Speedy, right? Ok I’ve already done that….but what if you add Snoopy into the mix? Frankly I don’t think anyone needs that, but try telling the many avid collectors who’ve purchased these. Originally terrible sellers these have turned into one of the most sought after ‘limited edition’ in existence and now command arm and leg figures on the 2nd hand market. I purchased this as an investment piece and it’s been sitting in the safe since. No idea what I’m going to do with this one.

Well that’s the current collection, not the most interesting collection I’ve seen on this forum but one I’m happy with. Where next to take it…?
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 1st March 2016 at 09:44.

You do yourself a disservice - that's a lovely collection, one I could never hope to attain personally. My favourites being the GO and the RO.

I've never warmed to Speedy's (despite the space significance), but I know I'm in the minority here. I've never seen that Snoopy variation before.

Lovely DJ, I'm liking the warm blue numerals. As a Hulk owner myself, I can see the attraction (I remember you selling the 2nd and looking for a replacement not long after!).

Anyway, thanks for the update, I enjoyed that.

Love the variety in your collection I so want a snoopy speedmaster dont know feel I after have one!

Very nice and different collection indeed some nice watches there.

Blog Entries
    That's a great collection! You could drop the sapphire sandwich and keep the snoopy to keep your Speedy quota?

May I be so bold as to suggest a top quality ani-digital into the mix.

Craftsman
    Really nice collection. I would love the AP.

How about a simple dress watch next?

The case back inscription on your Datejust is beautiful. I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but can I ask again who did the work?

Blog Entries
    Absolutely lovely collection . Keep me in mind if you want to move on the 3573.50 please

Master
    Odd - photos of the explorer and hulk not showing - mediafire temporarily unavailable or something ...

Anyway - matters not ... excellent collection, great diversity - I'd take any one of them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    That's a great collection! You could drop the sapphire sandwich and keep the snoopy to keep your Speedy quota?

May I be so bold as to suggest a top quality ani-digital into the mix.
    That's a great suggestion Martyn, I've actually been hankering after an Aerospace since seeing the many pictures on this forum recently, however not had the time to explore properly (really don't want anything over 40mm)

I forgot to add in the original text, but the sapphire sandwich was purchased in order to fulfill a little project, i've been collecting some bits and pieces and soon to embark on a mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Really nice collection. I would love the AP.

How about a simple dress watch next?
    Good call, i've been hankering after an IWC Portuguese Chrono for an age, but maybe a JLC would fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    The case back inscription on your Datejust is beautiful. I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but can I ask again who did the work?
    Here's the link to the lady who did the engraving, she was brilliant throughout the whole process and i'd obviously highly recommend her services: http://www.artemiswilddesign.co.uk/4.html

Some more info on the process here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ight=engraving

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Absolutely lovely collection . Keep me in mind if you want to move on the 3573.50 please
    Top of the list

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Odd - photos of the explorer and hulk not showing - mediafire temporarily unavailable or something ...

Anyway - matters not ... excellent collection, great diversity - I'd take any one of them.
    Good call, just re-uploaded. Thanks for the heads up

Journeyman
    Lovely collection, the Explorer is stunning.

Have you any thoughts about a vintage piece at all?

Master
    thats a lovely collection and a timely reminder that one can have a lot of watches and still not have too many

lovely variety

Quality over quantity in your collection.

They're not all to my taste, but that's the beauty of a SOTC.

I'm a little surprised to find I like the AP so much, 8mm thick is very impressive too.

Speedmasters I like and the Max Bill too.

Not so convinced about the GO personally (I don't doubt the quality though), but as you say it's certainly a conversation piece!

Thanks for posting.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

That is a lovely collection.. and I just love the Snoopy.

Master
    The DJII and the RO are my favourites. The dail and bezel on that DJ look different than most other watches, which is nice.

Craftsman
    That's a lovely collection and one to be proud of.

Photo's aren't that bad either

Master
    The AP is lovely, used to have a ROC, so beautifully finished.

Nice collection.

GO, AP and Snoopy in particular.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Very nice collection. I particularly like the dial for that Datejust.

That's a nice group. Would gladly wear each one of them.

Master
    You have great taste sir. Thats a lovely collection, the engraving on the caseback is an amazing piece of work.

Thank you for sharing,

Very nice. I'll have no.3 and no.6 please. ;)

Cheers,

Plug

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Love the variety in your collection I so want a snoopy speedmaster dont know feel I after have one!
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Lovely collection and that Royal Oak is really the definitive version.

i think your next watch has to be ultra special!

Blog Entries
    Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by A380 View Post
    Lovely collection, the Explorer is stunning.

Have you any thoughts about a vintage piece at all?
    I have, many times, and i'd love to add an 80's Pepsi to the collection but i'm just so out of my depth where vintage is concerned so its always put me off. Really just need to give Haywood or Mike Wood a call and i'm sure they'd be able to sort a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Very nice. I'll have no.3 and no.6 please. ;)

Cheers,

Plug
    Just send your postage details and i'll pop those off this afternoon...

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Lovely collection and that Royal Oak is really the definitive version.

i think your next watch has to be ultra special!
    I think you're right, i have an itch for an ALS, so maybe one of those next.

Journeyman
    What a lovely collection!