closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on a Rolex Milgauss...First time watch buyer

Advice on a Rolex Milgauss...First time watch buyer

Hi Guys,

Ths is my first post on the forums so go easy on me :)

So after months and months of looking at watches especially Rolex, I have decided to spend my heard earned cash and invest in a used Rolex Milgauss hopefully the bue dial one.

I initially started, like a lot of wannabe Rolex owners, looking for a Submariner or an Explorer II. However after I can across the Milgauss I fell in love with it. The blue dial and the green glass just give it a special look and its not as well known to the masses as the Subby or Explorer.

Anways, I thought I'd sign up to this forum so I could be amongst those who know a lot about Rolex and who can give advice and help to noobies like myself.

Initially I was looking at eBay for the Milgauss but I'm concered about getting passed a fake. So I wanted to ask on these forums where else I should look or any preferred places to purschase from. Anyone know of any decent sellers in the UK ? And is there anythign specific to look fro when purchasing a used Milgauss.

Many thanks Gents. Looking forward to being an owner of a Rolex and a member of these forums.

Master
    Any AD or dealer who has the appropriate paperwork. People like watches.co.uk have pre-owned, Iconic may have something or put a wtb on this forum

http://www.watches.co.uk/watches/rol...ches/milgauss/
    Last edited by mrushton; 29th February 2016 at 14:34.

Thanks for the reply Mrushton,

Unfortuantely www.watches.co.uk don't have the blue dial. And I don't believe I have enough posts to post a WTB ad in the forums yet :P

If its going to be your one special watch and a keeper. I would go straight to iconic and buy new. Not a great deal more in the long run and you know its been yours and only yours. Its worth the extra £500 or so at this level.
    http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex...FSMXwwodvGQEzQ

Hello and welcome. Do you want the one with the all white batons, or the one with the 3, 6 & 9 markers in orange - which I personally prefer. This seems to be referred to as the anniversary edition.

As stated, Iconic is probably the cheapest for brand new, but if buying second hand you could try, Watchfinder, Blowers, Watches.co.uk, the Watch Centre, Milton's and Watch Club - all sell used Rolex and have solid reputations.

Keep away from Gumtree, E-bay or private deals for obvious reasons.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullvine View Post
    Thanks for the reply Mrushton,

Unfortuantely www.watches.co.uk don't have the blue dial. And I don't believe I have enough posts to post a WTB ad in the forums yet :P
    Mark Worthington have

http://www.markworthingtonjewellers....tainless+Steel but not far off rrp

Here's one with the orange batons to compare.

http://www.watchclub.com/our-watches...ass-box-papers
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 29th February 2016 at 15:32.

Master
    Good choice, if I may say so. My first Rolex purchase, in 2012, was a Milgauss GV. Love the watch, just love it. Great looks, accurate (mine is 1.5secs a day), rugged (fell down 12 concrete steps, watch was grazed but never missed a beat). You can't go wrong.
    If you are in this for the long term, maybe buy new from an AD. You don't save enough to justify the risks of 'grey' dealers. If you do go the grey route, make sure you get the proper box, literature and cards. Remember that recent versions get the five year guarantee.
    Anyway, have fun. Classier than a sub (although I now have one of them too. ). And, in reality, just as tough.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Mark Worthington have

http://www.markworthingtonjewellers....tainless+Steel but not far off rrp
    For that kind of small margin, I'd just go to an AD. As there's not enough saving to go the grey route.
    Not that keen on the myself, yes, they are that little bit different, but it's the gimmicky lightning bolt seconds hand that puts me off

Thanks Nigeyp and Wallasey Runner.

Hmmm I wasn't thinking new as I was hoping to save some cash on a good condiotion used. However it seems you are right in that there isn't much in it price wise, which I'm suprised about.

Really appreicate your help guys

The blue dial and the green glass just give it a special look and its not as well known to the masses as the Subby
    The what?

The best deal will probably be to buy one from Europe via Chrono24. Second best, right here on the forum, but you'll have to wait a while before being eligible for that. Third best, one of the UK greys. Fourth best, negotiating a discount from an AD (find the right shop, with one that's not moving, and you could be in with a chance: the Milgauss is a niche thing and not a best-seller).

Master
    Thanks Nigeyp and Wallasey Runner.

Hmmm I wasn't thinking new as I was hoping to save some cash on a good condiotion used. However it seems you are right in that there isn't much in it price wise, which I'm suprised about.

Really appreicate your help guys
    if you find an AD with a new one you could try to negotiate down or get the 3 years interest free

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    The what?

The best deal will probably be to buy one from Europe via Chrono24. Second best, right here on the forum, but you'll have to wait a while before being eligible for that. Third best, one of the UK greys. Fourth best, negotiating a discount from an AD (find the right shop, with one that's not moving, and you could be in with a chance: the Milgauss is a niche thing and not a best-seller).
    The Subby = Submariner :$

This watch is currently one of iconic's "Special's"

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex...0gv-32217.html

£4,900 is pretty decent brand new

Journeyman
    Good choice! I bought a used but pristine milgauss last week and have been smitten since. I was divided between blue or black dial but in the end I chose black, as a good opportunity presented itself.

Have you actually tried one on yet ?
    It's quite a sizeable piece. That for me put it in the no column.

Craftsman
    Good choice, I'm a big fan of Milgauss

The Z-Blue Milgauss was my first Rolex and I love it because it is a little different and I love the lightening second hand! I also brought new as the savings used were not worth losing out on the whole AD experience of buying a new Rolex and as I don't plan on flipping it it will make a good heirloom for my son.

You could always fly to Amsterdam airport and see if you can pick one up tax free at Gassan in the airport but that can be a bit hit and miss

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I also brought new as the savings used were not worth losing out on the whole AD experience of buying a new Rolex
    Ah, the AD experience. You know, sometimes I go to an AD and just hand them £1000 and don't even buy a watch. I just want the experience!

Master
    Ah, the AD experience. You know, sometimes I go to an AD and just hand them £1000 and don't even buy a watch. I just want the experience!
    Good deal for your £1k, you get 5 extra 'benefits'
    Generic filter coffee / crap tea, a sit down, a speech about a watch brand (some fact mostly fictional), an ego massage, then let you leave with £000's of gear in a branded bag (watch or jeweller's sometimes both), saying "mug me, mug me"

Master
    You could always fly to Amsterdam airport and see if you can pick one up tax free at Gassan in the airport but that can be a bit hit and miss
    They are not tax free at Gassan in Schiphol, they are discounted.

There are no UK discounts to be had from an AD - I don't think on any steel Rolex for that matter.

I would strongly advise the OP to try them both on and several times. The original GV is a lot subtler in real life, and is all about the "flash of green". The blue is beautiful, but is completely about the blue dial, and is much flashier as a result - it's not a quiet blue :)

They are great watches, wear wonderfully and marry smart and sporty very well. I can't take my GV off.

Cheers

DD

The what?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Downing View Post
    There are no UK discounts to be had from an AD - I don't think on any steel Rolex for that matter.
    Opinion is divided on this point. Some claim huge discounts are available, but when asked to substantiate this, they go mysteriously quiet. Others say that discounts of 10-15% are achievable, in the right circumstances, and especially if they come in the form of a full-price Rolex plus some other item heavily discounted. Officially, as you say, there are no discounts, but officially, I pay VAT on everything.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Downing View Post

I would strongly advise the OP to try them both on and several times. The original GV is a lot subtler in real life, and is all about the "flash of green". The blue is beautiful, but is completely about the blue dial, and is much flashier as a result - it's not a quiet blue :)

They are great watches, wear wonderfully and marry smart and sporty very well. I can't take my GV off.

Cheers

DD
    Subjective of course, but as the owner of a black face GV I would tend to agree. What I have noticed is that 'normal' people (ie, not like us, in watch terms anyway) really like the Milgauss. Rather more so than other Rolexes. It seems to come across as more individual. In the light, in the sunshine, that green surround really does look nice.
    And, again, I'd say, just buy from the local AD. You will enjoy it a lot more, and be better protected. As an example, a new 114060 I bought from my AD turned out to have a minor issue with something called 'banking', which led to poor timekeeping. The dealer's own watch technician fixed it within a couple of hours, complete with all the readouts. Since then it's been within 2 secs a day. With a grey dealer it would have to go off to the Rolex service department for at least a month. For me, these things matter. Things are cheaper for a reason. And quality of service is one of those reasons.
    BTW: this advice applies to Rolex; I wouldn't pay retail for (say) an IWC or even an Omega, because they don't hold their prices well enough (or is that controversial?)
    Last edited by paskinner; 2nd March 2016 at 13:51.

Advice on a Rolex Milgauss...First time watch buyer

Really?

Are (unsuccessfully) trying to be witty or just obtuse?
    Last edited by paw3001; 3rd March 2016 at 01:50.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    They are not tax free at Gassan in Schiphol, they are discounted.
    Apologies for making such a terrible faux pax!

However, for us common people does it really make any difference?

Master
    Apologies for making such a terrible faux pax!

However, for us common people does it really make any difference?
    It could to someone honest with the previous info.
    End up looking like a muppet either, wanting the tax claim forms from the AD to reclaim something they can't claim for, or trying to declare at customs, when there's no need to. Of course this only applies to EU travelling.

It could to someone honest with the previous info.
    End up looking like a muppet either, wanting the tax claim forms from the AD to reclaim something they can't claim for, or trying to declare at customs, when there's no need to. Of course this only applies to EU travelling.
    Actually I think you find it is actually a discount for EU residents and tax free for non-EU residents so in a way we are both correct.

Master
    Actually I think you find it is actually a discount for EU residents and tax free for non-EU residents so in a way we are both correct.
    Err yes I know that, hence my comment
    Of course this only applies to EU travelling.
    You advised
    Which is incorrect info for the OP as he is in the UK

Master
    I went for the black dial model recently after having looked at all four variants. I wanted to like the Z-Blue, but IMO the green glass mutes what could otherwise be a stunning electric blue dial - would love to see one with clear glass for comparison.

Here's mine on a new Hirsch Medici:

^^^^ that looks very good

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I went for the black dial model recently after having looked at all four variants. I wanted to like the Z-Blue, but IMO the green glass mutes what could otherwise be a stunning electric blue dial - would love to see one with clear glass for comparison.
    I have been thinking the same about the glass, and will pluck up courage one day to get a cost, maybe Bill Rice would do the job. Of course, as can be seen, in some light it does look the nuts anyway.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by jimboy; 4th March 2016 at 00:20. Reason: Double post??

BTW, my Milly came via Iconic last July and a good price with good service IMHO.
    Last edited by jimboy; 4th March 2016 at 00:25. Reason: Double tap post

Quote Originally Posted by jimboy View Post
    BTW, my Milly came via Iconic last July and a good price with good service IMHO.
    Can't believe you picked the Milly over the Subby.

Master
    When the trigger is there you just have to pull it. ;).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboy View Post
    I have been thinking the same about the glass, and will pluck up courage one day to get a cost, maybe Bill Rice would do the job. Of course, as can be seen, in some light it does look the nuts anyway.

- - - Updated - - -
    Agreed, looks the nuts, totally. I'm a typical member of the population that mainly recognizes the GMT/SUB as a Rolex, so to see this is an eye opener. Hope you find exactly what you want OP :)

Master
    I have both, and think the Milgauss is the nicer, all round, watch. The Submariner is more ostentatious and less elegant. It's just personal choice really.
    And what's with this 'milly' and 'subby' talk; we are not back in the nursery are we?
    Well, maybe we are!.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    And what's with this 'milly' and 'subby' talk; we are not back in the nursery are we?
    Well, maybe we are!.
    It was a (friendly I presume) poke at the use of 'milly' as an abreviation of milgauss. Seems that kind of speak is regarded as a bit matey-boy around here, and is responded to with a stern, Paddington-style extra-hard frown; similarly reserved for such forum sleeper-cell inducing phrases as 'pull the trigger on this bad boy'..

Grand Master
    It was a (friendly I presume) poke at the use of 'milly' as an abreviation of milgauss. Seems that kind of speak is regarded as a bit matey-boy around here, and is responded to with a stern, Paddington-style extra-hard frown; similarly reserved for such forum sleeper-cell inducing phrases as 'pull the trigger on this bad boy'..
    It works for "Speedy"! Milly, Subby, Rollie, Dayto; it's all goody.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    If only it didn't have that daft and tacky lightning bolt seconds hand :(

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's what the original ref. 6541 milgaus had. But to be honest it doesn't share too many features with this watch.

That is, I suspect, the feature most loved by Milgauss devotees. It's a statement, one way or the other.

Master
    That is, I suspect, the feature most loved by Milgauss devotees. It's a statement, one way or the other.
    Quite so. For me it's a touch of tongue-in-cheek frivolity from a brand that can sometimes be seen as taking itself too seriously. Only had mine for a couple of weeks so the jury's still out on the watch as a whole, but I doubt I would have ever considered it in the first place were it not for the 'bolt'.

Master
    Opinion is divided on this point. Some claim huge discounts are available, but when asked to substantiate this, they go mysteriously quiet. Others say that discounts of 10-15% are achievable, in the right circumstances, and especially if they come in the form of a full-price Rolex plus some other item heavily discounted. Officially, as you say, there are no discounts, but officially, I pay VAT on everything.
    yes, virtually no discounts now days. The only substantial discounts I have ever come across was a well known guy on a different forum who was dropping £100k+ per annum with his dealer and would get other forum users a great deal.

Him aside discounts are nominal or unproven myth.

Master
    great excuse for me to post my favourite photo :)

Master
    Yes, the second hand does divide opinion; but isn't that good for a somewhat sombre company like Rolex? I mean, they don't do a lot of jokes do they. Unless the yellow gold Daydate with diamond bezel is a joke......

As a Milgauss owner I have to confirm that the lightening bolt second hand was one of the key features that drew me to the model.

The is heresy I know but I have always found the standard date, no date Sub and DSSD all very bland and dull but then everyone has different likes and dislikes

Master
    Looks very good on that Graham. Why didn't I think of something like that! Hope you're enjoying it.

Cheers, Mark