closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More coffee talk - Is instant due a comeback?

Craftsman

More coffee talk - Is instant due a comeback?

Saw this article this morning, a very interesting kickstarter. Price is obviously extortionate at the moment but the concept is good.

http://sprudge.com/kalle-freese-dried-coffee-95851.html

Master
    Sorry but at USD6 for a single espresso.... no chance. The problem is as that price it's not even in the 'give it a try' range. At USD2 per shot I've give it a chance... I can see it being a good idea for those trips away when the only option is some Nescafe in the room i.e. that's NOT an option.

Meh... I LIKE Nescafe
    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Sorry but at USD6 for a single espresso.... no chance. The problem is as that price it's not even in the 'give it a try' range. At USD2 per shot I've give it a chance... I can see it being a good idea for those trips away when the only option is some Nescafe in the room i.e. that's NOT an option.
    I completely agree. They need some significant scale up to bring that price down!

Master
    Instant is just vile it is pretty much tasteless and certainly doesn't resemble coffee I only use my nespresso machine as their coffee is just great.

Journeyman
    I'd willingly pay $6 rather than have this:

Kopi Luwak.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/0...-the-most.html

It must be an 'acquired' taste.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Instant is just vile it is pretty much tasteless and certainly doesn't resemble coffee I only use my nespresso machine as their coffee is just great.
    I agree about the instant Andy and this is said to be due to cheap coffee beans and a poor extraction process at the factories. Now imagine Nespresso freeze dried a shot of pod coffee.. we may then have a good 'instant' coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by A380 View Post
    I'd willingly pay $6 rather than have this:

Kopi Luwak.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/0...-the-most.html

It must be an 'acquired' taste.
    Somebody must have thought "I wonder what that tastes like...?" I know, I'll give it a rinse, roast it and find out!

Craftsman
    I don't know about you guys but I think Azera goes a long way towards a "decent" cup of instant. Certainly it's better than pretty much everything else that you can buy in a supermarket.

Each to their own, it's never been away for me - I love Nescafe Gold Blend

I don't really like coffee but I do like Alta Rica, which is a big improvement over Mellow Birds.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I don't really like coffee but I do like Alta Rica, which is a big improvement over Mellow Birds.
    A colleague from the Talking Newspaper I volunteer with still buys Maxwell House. I swear it's just the floor sweepings from a Happy Shopper Value Coffee supplier with a pretty blue label on it.

Worst. Coffee. Ever!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I think Azera goes a long way towards a "decent" cup of instant. Certainly it's better than pretty much everything else that you can buy in a supermarket.
    Tried it.... and also a couple of the other of the 'instant+ground' coffee products. Depends on what you're used to I suppose.

and while we're on a coffee thread.... why can't they learn how to properly tamp coffee in cafes etc? We go to a very nice cafe for Saturday brunch but they have absolutely no idea about how to tamp the coffee. I sit there with my sausage sandwich watching them. Coffee should be tamped with about 30lbs weight. All they seem to do is just show the tamp to the portafilter and then put it back on the counter - I swear it never touches the coffee grinds. :-(

Craftsman
    +1, my Nespresso machine is in daily use.......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetorric View Post
    +1, my Nespresso machine is in daily use.......
    I know a lot of people use instant and I am sure you get used to it but once you use nespresso you then realise how awful and tasteless instant coffee is.

Banned
    I was looking at these the other day if you are out and about its a simple way to have a coffee

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/nesca...s-pack/p/52158

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    I was looking at these the other day if you are out and about its a simple way to have a coffee

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/nesca...s-pack/p/52158
    51% sugar!!!!!!!!!!................ No thanks.

I know a lot of people use instant and I am sure you get used to it but once you use nespresso you then realise how awful and tasteless instant coffee is.
    We have a machine and my wife swears by it. Whatever comes out of it tastes like it's trying to hard to me, perhaps my pallet isn't refined enough?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Meh... I LIKE Nescafe
    At last, someone to join me in my secret shame!

I appreciate good coffee as much as the next man, but I'm equally happy with a quick cup of Nescafe without all that carry on.

Each tube is $6.

Each tube has "enough coffee to brew around 8 ounces."

Is that 8oz (227ml) of espresso?

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    At last, someone to join me in my secret shame!

I appreciate good coffee as much as the next man, but I'm equally happy with a quick cup of Nescafe without all that carry on.
    Out and proud

If it's not shoes it's bloody coffee machines... Bunch of metrosexuals all of them, eh?

M

Banned
    one of my favourite coffees comes from the vending machines in France which most people hate.

its time and place, when you are wet and tired on your motorcycle hot and sweet is what you want.

in the house I like proper filter coffee Taylors lazy Sunday is a good one.

but so is instant gold, strong with lots of milk as its quite refreshing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    We have a machine and my wife swears by it. Whatever comes out of it tastes like it's trying to hard to me, perhaps my pallet isn't refined enough?

Duncan there are lots of different strengths and maybe you need to try a slightly weaker one, I love the Khazar which is the strongest at 12 but Linda has two that are 6 and 7 and much milder but still really nice

I love the Khazar which is the strongest at 12
    Me too, also like the Dharkan and Arpeggio too. The only truly vile Nespresso was that Caramelito or whatever it was called yuk.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    A colleague from the Talking Newspaper I volunteer with still buys Maxwell House. I swear it's just the floor sweepings from a Happy Shopper Value Coffee supplier with a pretty blue label on it.

Worst. Coffee. Ever!
    Somewhere I used to work had this as pretty much the only choice of coffee. Horrific, really nasty and bitter and managed to taste nothing like any coffee or instant coffee I have ever had before or since. I can only assume it is solely purchased by people who don't actually like coffee.

Some other instant ones are OK, I generally think of coffee and instant "coffee" as two seperate drinks tbh!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    Me too, also like the Dharkan and Arpeggio too. The only truly vile Nespresso was that Caramelito or whatever it was called yuk.
    Same tastes :) I love the Arpeggio I normally buy mostly Khazar but I mix it with the Arpeggio and Indira and the rissetto I didn't like the rissetto at first but now I love the different flavour and I totally agree with you re the vile caramel and vanilla flavours horrible I just don't do flavoured coffee.

Worlds gone mad

I recommend that you suburban metrosexuals try a big cup of Camp Coffee

That should get things back into perspective

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Worlds gone mad

Chicory!!!!!!!! No thanks

What am I missing here?

If a Costa made from fresh ground beans costs £2.50 why would instant coffee made from fresh ground beans cost $6? and taste any better after freezing.

Worlds gone mad

...image...

Chicory!!!!!!!! No thanks
    It gets worse!

According to Wiki:

Camp Coffee is a brown liquid which consists of water, sugar, 4% caffeine-free coffee essence, and 26% chicory essence. This is generally used as a substitute for coffee...

The best instant coffee in my opinion is the 'Carte Noir Instinct wholebean' and the second best is probably Douwe Egberts.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    What am I missing here?

If a Costa made from fresh ground beans costs £2.50 why would instant coffee made from fresh ground beans cost $6? and taste any better after freezing.
    This is because they spend the rest of the money removing the water so you can carry your coffee as a dried version.

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    What am I missing here?

From the link: each tube is $6 and each tube has "enough coffee to brew around 8 ounces."

So it *might* be that each tube produces 8oz (227ml) of espresso.

An espresso is generally around 30ml.

Thomas Reid
    \begin<troll>
    Isn't Nespresso new age, hipster instant?
    \end<troll>

We use either paper filter or espresso machine. We used to use Whittard's After Dinner, but they discontinued that and now we use Whittard's Cafe Francais. Same grind whether we get pre-ground or beans. No 3 setting at Whittards, if ground there, and two marks back from the finest grind on our cheapie home grinder (DeLonghi burr grinder). Many would think the beans too oily (over cooked), but we aren't part of the coffee elite.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    Did it ever go away?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Did it ever go away?
    Long gone Mark, Nescafe who?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    Your palate is fine; Nespresso tends to be over-extracted swill that's mainly a different kind of bad.

It's somewhat better than instant, but at £75-100 a kilo for those wasteful pods, you'd expect it to be.

I'll be honest, as someone who only really ever has filter coffee when I'm out, I bought a cafetiere to try at home, along with a well known brand of pre-ground bagged stuff - smelt fantastic in the bag, tasted awful in the cup. Have gone back to using the Nescafe Azera Intenso (half instant half bean, as far as I can tell) which I'm very happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    I'll be honest, as someone who only really ever has filter coffee when I'm out, I bought a cafetiere to try at home, along with a well known brand of pre-ground bagged stuff - smelt fantastic in the bag, tasted awful in the cup. Have gone back to using the Nescafe Azera Intenso (half instant half bean, as far as I can tell) which I'm very happy with.
    Soluble coffee with finely ground roasted coffee (5%)...hmmm!. Doesn't that say that soluble, ie instant, coffee needs something extra to make it more palatable?

Worlds gone mad

As a macho man that is my instant of choice.

If it was good enough for the Raj........
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'm pretty sure it's just an excuse to sell it at a hugely inflated price on the pretence you're getting some actual coffee in it, but I'm not sure 5% real beans is enough to make it any different from powdered gold blend. I do think a slightly higher quality of bean somehow fell into the process to make it though, that or they've added some sort of flavour enhancer to make it bearable over Kenco etc.

We use this Aldi Ethiopian first thing with breakfast....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/aldi-r...coffee-6470199

and their Columbian instant the rest of the day.... and it's great with a splash of milk, better than Nescafe.

Master
    I'm really not into this coffee culture and although I can enjoy a nice cup from time to time I would rather have a cup of tea. Instant coffee is fine, although I never associate it as the same drink as "real" coffee - it's just a warm drink to me.

But if I see a hyperactive, talks-too-loud, over-keen person with wide staring eyes and a frozen grin, I know they have been at the coffee beans all day.

I think instant is slowly getting better, probably trying to keep hold of their market share as our taste for coffee grows up a little. More and more is being made from Arabica beans rather than robusta. It's clearly got a long way to go and no doubt there will always be a market for the cheap to grow, cheap to make and cheap to buy instant coffee, but I'd think the more sophisticated "instant" of the near future will probably give fresh brewed a run for its money, at a price and of course it needs a new name to lose the old associations...

As an aside, I was having dinner the other week with a Gastroenterologist (relative) who told me coffee is good for you but you need to drink 6 - 8 cups a day!

Same tastes :) I love the Arpeggio I normally buy mostly Khazar but I mix it with the Arpeggio and Indira and the rissetto I didn't like the rissetto at first but now I love the different flavour and I totally agree with you re the vile caramel and vanilla flavours horrible I just don't do flavoured coffee.
    Me too! Very occasionally buy Khazar, but the order is usually something like 220 Arpeggio and 30 Decaffeinated Arpeggio to get the free delivery with 250 capsules. In fact that was my order just this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    I don't enjoy coffee from a cafetiere. Try one of these, makes a good coffee.

Coffee from the same link is very good, or I can recommend Sainsburys own Premium blend ground coffee.

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/collections...a-wave-ceramic

At £2, it's cheaper than a half decent instant, yet tastes much better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    Long gone Mark, Nescafe who?
    Sorry to say, I'm an instant Nescafe drinker at the moment. ;-)

It's not terrible, to be honest.

Blog Entries
    Never left I drink instant black coffee Douwe Egberts much rather this than some of the truly awful ground rubbish