closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex GMT 16710 prices

Rolex GMT 16710 prices

Hi
    I've been looking at getting one of these again.

The prices seem to have increased quite a lot recently. A 2006 stick 11 dial (whatever that is) are going high £5s.
    There also don't seem to be that many around

Hindsight is a great thing, I wish I'd never sold mine now

Andy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Hi
    I've been looking at getting one of these again.

The prices seem to have increased quite a lot recently. A 2006 stick 11 dial (whatever that is) are going high £5s.
    There also don't seem to be that many around

Hindsight is a great thing, I wish I'd never sold mine now

Andy
    Ha I wish I had never sold my SD for under £2k in 06 but hey, you live and never learn! The only one I should have kept, so far

Prices have skyrocketed in the last year, I very nearly bought one about a year ago bu purchased an Explorer 2 instead. (Knew I would regret it) If you look at a SEL model early 2000s onward then the going rate seems to be about £4.5k with B&P. They keep climbing up and up

Master
    I think the lack of a new steel pepsi GMT option has driven the used prices up. Late models in good condition with a full set will always command strong prices.

The later 2006 onwards ones seem to be fetching £5.5 and more.
    I'm going to have a look at be on Saturday. I expect to be underwhelmed but you never know

The later 2006 onwards ones seem to be fetching £5.5 and more.
    I'm going to have a look at be on Saturday. I expect to be underwhelmed but you never know
    There are a few dating to around that time with the later movement seen in the GMTc which seem to fetch a premium as they're considered collectable.

Again, a lot is to do with slight dial differences, SEL's, Lug Holes, or movement changes.

I was surprised as I did a recent poll on another forum and the 16710 was landslide winner over which watch 16600 or 16710. I think they are well in favour at the moment, like others have said due to no GMTc in Pepsi colour way. That and the fact they are a lovely proportioned and beautiful looking watch. Add the 3 bezel options and its a winner really. The reason I stuck with the 16600 over a 16710 is the SD just felt a little more substantial along side my other watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    There are a few dating to around that time with the later movement seen in the GMTc which seem to fetch a premium as they're considered collectable.
    Ahh. That would make sense

Rolex St James said they will swop a bezel over there and then but not fif its an LN model. The serial number engraved on the case will determine this. So if you have a black one with LN stamped they will not change to another colour.

Strange but true

Andy

Craftsman
    The stick dial (GMT Master || rather than GMT Master II) fetches a premium for a number of reasons. Some late model 16710s (2006 onwards, D,Z,M serials IIRC) have this so-called "error dial" which is relatively rare. It is also supposed to indicate which 16710s were actually fitted with the new GMTc movement, but this is not a 100% association. Y serial 16710s (c. 2002) have also been seen with stick dials. I found all this out the "hard" way.
    Last year I purchased a full-set coke 16710 with spare pepsi insert, dated Nov 2001 for a good price from a dealer. While in my possession, it stopped on two separate occasions while on my wrist (the dealer told me it had been serviced pre-purchase) and I decided not to keep it. The dealer behaved impeccably, offering me all possible options of return for service, return for refund, etc. As I was going away for 2 weeks, the dealer agreed to refund me the full amount, service the watch AND hold it for me with the option to buy back on my return from holiday. Can't say fairer than that!
    On my return, I informed the dealer I was not going to buy it back and all was amicable.
    About a month later, I saw the same watch on his website advertised for nearly £2k more than I paid for it. It was now advertised as a Stick dial! Basically, neither the dealer nor I had spotted that it was a stick dial. It was now out of my price range, and I personally wouldn't pay that kind of a premium for a stick dial anyway.
    A little while later, I was able to find a 2004 no-lugholes 16710 pepsi that I am now very happy with!
    I still reminisce over "the stick dial that got away" though. Sigh........

Craftsman
    Ahh. That would make sense

Rolex St James said they will swop a bezel over there and then but not fif its an LN model. The serial number engraved on the case will determine this. So if you have a black one with LN stamped they will not change to another colour.

Strange but true

Andy
    That is odd. I did toy with the idea of swapping to a Pepsi, but didn't have time to pop in last time I was in London. Looks like it may have been a wasted trip anyway if they won't do a swap on an LN.

Craftsman
    [Deleted with apologies]
    Last edited by Chris_X; 3rd March 2016 at 18:31.

Rolex GMT 16710 prices

The rules are there for a reason Chris. I suggest you delete your post before the glitch kicks in!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 3rd March 2016 at 18:49. Reason: Big thumbs, little keyboard!

Master

Craftsman
    Here's mine. It's an 05 stick so presumably not the updated movement. You can also try the so called 'wiggle test' which is apparently an indicator of the later movement.

Last edited by Petewon; 3rd March 2016 at 19:28.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    [Deleted with apologies]
    Previous post deleted and please forgive it's contents.

Instead here is a shot of my beautiful original tritium dial/hands 16710 Coke

So there's a reasonable price premium for the stick - what's the forum view on the extra premium - it seems to be about £7K in total - for a "rectangular"? And this is without the improved movement.

Cheers

David

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Previous post deleted and please forgive it's contents.

Instead here is a shot of my beautiful original tritium dial/hands 16710 Coke

I remember this watch Chris , what a beauty .

Seikoboy

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    I remember this watch Chris , what a beauty .

Seikoboy
    Miss it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Downing View Post
    So there's a reasonable price premium for the stick - what's the forum view on the extra premium - it seems to be about £7K in total - for a "rectangular"? And this is without the improved movement.

Cheers

David
    I have a rectangular full set from 2007 that I would sell and would consider 7k as overpriced. Not sure whats the correct price though

Craftsman
    Can someone please advise me on sources for one of these?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    What's the reasonable price for a 16710 coke bezel earlier than 2000 in good condition but with no B&P?

David

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by arisrosmaninho View Post
    What's the reasonable price for a 16710 coke bezel earlier than 2000 in good condition but with no B&P?

David

Chrono24 will give you a good indication of market prices..

Sent from my Fusion5_W104(32GB) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by arisrosmaninho View Post

David

£5k minimum these days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Can someone please advise me on sources for one of these?

The usual places, Chrono, Watchfinder, dare I say eBay, BUT if in walking distance and you can accompany it to a local AD before parting with hard earned.

And don't walk past a jewellers without peering in.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    The usual places, Chrono, Watchfinder, dare I say eBay, BUT if in walking distance and you can accompany it to a local AD before parting with hard earned.

And don't walk past a jewellers without peering in.

Pitch
    Thanks, been looking at those but the asking price puts me off

Master
    I do wonder if they have peaked. My 2001 coke 16710 with recent Rolex service and everything including the AD's carry bag and 2001 catalogue and price list from when I bought it, how would one value that?
    Nah, I'll keep it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I do wonder if they have peaked. My 2001 coke 16710 with recent Rolex service and everything including the AD's carry bag and 2001 catalogue and price list from when I bought it, how would one value that?
    Nah, I'll keep it.
    Lol

Journeyman
    It all so crazy these days around 2004 a brand new Gmt that I never wore to a friend for 1800 thats what I paid for it and a sub for 2k.

Nah, I'll keep it.
    I'd say they've probably plateaued rather than peaked but they (along with the 14060) have certainly seen a larger rise than the 16600 or 16610 which have got left behind a little.

I expect the 16610 to return to favour at some point and see a significant leap.

The Explorer models just seem to potter along in the background keeping a lower profile!

Nah, I'll keep it.
    Stickers?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsofacto View Post
    Stickers?
    From the service yes but the originals and hologram fell orf ages ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I'd say they've probably plateaued rather than peaked but they (along with the 14060) have certainly seen a larger rise than the 16600 or 16610 which have got left behind a little.

I expect the 16610 to return to favour at some point and see a significant leap.

The Explorer models just seem to potter along in the background keeping a lower profile!
    The 16600 is actually a great value right now. The price dropped when the ceramic version came out, and it still hasn't recovered.