closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cyclops or No Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy333 View Post
    Submariner with no date
    I thought Submariner comes with no date.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I thought Submariner comes with no date.
    The one with the cyclops comes with the date. The sub with no date does not have a cyclop as there is no need for one.

This is really interesting now.

Quote Originally Posted by manivxr View Post
    The one with the cyclops comes with the date. The sub with no date does not have a cyclop as there is no need for one.
    Oh I see.
    I thought the one with the cyclops/date was called Submariner Date rather than the other way around.
    Hmmm, interesting.

This is really crackling along now.

Master
    Rajen, you are a very naughty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Oh I see.
    I thought the one with the cyclops/date was called Submariner Date rather than the other way around.
    Hmmm, interesting.
    Intense debate over a number of years - and forums - has established to all but an autistic minority that the terms are interchangeable - even to rolex themselves.
    Also that it really doesn't matter - not even the tiniest bit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
    That is not correct.
    Every day is a school day. I asked Rolex a few years ago to replace the bezel on my 116200 with a fluted one and they categorically said that they won't do anything to a watch that takes it away from its standard spec.

Journeyman
    EDIT: The post below involves me being a complete arse. I'm not deleting it to in order to make it clear to everyone how poorly I misread the post. Apologies to Schofie.

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Every day is a school day.
    Indeed it is.

I asked Rolex a few years ago to replace the bezel on my 116200 with a fluted one and they categorically said that they won't do anything to a watch that takes it away from its standard spec.
    Apparently in school, you never learned the concept of disproof by counterexample. A single point example (your experience with Rolex) is not sufficient to prove a general rule (Rolex will never alter a watch from its standard spec). However a counterexample (the two I provided) is sufficient to disprove your assertion.

Not sure what the point of you being a condescending twat about something where you're clearly wrong is.
    Last edited by Foodle; 12th March 2016 at 23:51.

Not sure what the point of you being a condescending twat about something where you're clearly wrong is.
    Which charm school did you go to?

Master

Wow. That's got to be the biggest mis-read of a post I've seen to date. Without reacting to your obviously over aggressive and unnecessary rant, let me clarify my post. 'Every day is a school day' means 'you learn something new every day', which therefore acknowledges your contribution and the effort you made in seeking out the links. I then posted my own experience just as a point of what Rolex told me directly. Not only did you misinterpret my post but you also used language that is not suitable for this area of the forum. If you really want to have a go, for whatever reason that I'm not quite clear about, then take it into the bear pit.
    Last edited by Schofie; 12th March 2016 at 18:14.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by manivxr View Post
    Cylops is the classic look on rolex. So one minority vote for cyclops here.
    Cyclops for me as well.

Struggle to see the date on watches with no cyclops.

In fact I sent a new watch back recently, as the date for me was absolutely minute and unreadable.

When your eyes deteriorate with age, cyclops is a very handy feature to have.

Indeed it is.

Apparently in school, you never learned the concept of disproof by counterexample. A single point example (your experience with Rolex) is not sufficient to prove a general rule (Rolex will never alter a watch from its standard spec). However a counterexample (the two I provided) is sufficient to disprove your assertion.

Apparently in school, you never learned the concept of reading with understanding...

Master
    I wouldn't ever consider buying a watch with a cyclops.

Master
    Where can I buy a small cyclops and the necessary adhesive? I need to fit one to a dive watch I have.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    Where can I buy a small cyclops and the necessary adhesive? I need to fit one to a dive watch I have.
    Joking apart, I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago.

Master
    I wasn't joking, I really am looking for one!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    I wasn't joking, I really am looking for one!
    Given their popularity I thought they must be available somewhere.

Blog Entries
    I think the Rolex cyclops is almost a trademark on their range. The datejust being the most popular selling range is identified by it. It kinda identifies a Rolex as a Rolex to the common man. And to most Rolex is a status symbol and hence by inference the cyclops is.

Just my two pennies.

Martyn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Didn't someone on here recently melt the glue to remove the cyclops on a Sub. Apologies for forgetting who it was and not searching, but the result was fantastic.

Guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I think the Rolex cyclops is almost a trademark on their range. The datejust being the most popular selling range is identified by it. It kinda identifies a Rolex as a Rolex to the common man. And to most Rolex is a status symbol and hence by inference the cyclops is.

Just my two pennies.

Martyn.
    I think you're probably correct. Ive already had the authenticity of my seadweller challenged (politely) at work due to its lack of a date magnifier.

Worse than that, a conversation in the pub a while ago led to the question "lf that's a rollie then how come it's not got an oyster?" - the inquisitor believing that to be the term for date magnifier on a rolex. The watch in question being a no-date submariner...

Journeyman
    The whole point is that if you own a Rolex with a cyclops, you will yearn for a non-cyclops model. If you hve purchased a non-cylops Rolex, you ill wish for a a cyclops model. I speak as one who owns a DJ and a GMTIIc, but I'd love a no date Sub.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic_Magpie View Post
    The whole point is that if you own a Rolex with a cyclops, you will yearn for a non-cyclops model. If you hve purchased a non-cylops Rolex, you ill wish for a a cyclops model. I speak as one who owns a DJ and a GMTIIc, but I'd love a no date Sub.
    Personally I have always had Rolex watches with a cyclops.

Never did, nor never will yearn for a non cyclops model.

Your personal opinion, is your opinion, and not necessarily how others would feel.

I like them send all your unwanted Cyclops to me please i would use them.

Master
    Don't like the cyclops myself so that is why I got a ND Sub. That said I also prefer the date window at the six o'clock position to give absolute symmetry, guess I'm just a bit fussy.

I had 2 subs with cyclops but the cyclops ended up annoying me. Funnily enough I don't mind it on my GMT. But if I had another sub in the future it would be without.

Master
    I'm in the no cyclops camp.

I'm quite happy with a date on a Rolex, but I've never liked the cyclops and can't ever see myself buying a Rolex with this (although given my finances I won't be buying a Rolex without this for a while either!)

I think inspite of valiant efforts of some Sub ND usage is here to stay.
    Frankly, don't mind it personally as that is obviously the more popular term but I do sympathize with purists as well.
    Personally,I am flexible- can live with cyclops as well as without.
    Not a fan of removing it if already there.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    I've got 3 Rolex's and a few other watches with dates. However for me the Rolex cyclops magnifier for the date just spoils the overall look I think.

So are you a cyclops lover or not?
    I agree 100%. I detest the Cyclops so much I would not buy a watch with it.

Journeyman
    Apologies. My significant misread of Schofie's post.
    Last edited by Foodle; 12th March 2016 at 23:52.

Master
    Apologies. My significant misread of Schofie's post.
    No worries mate, and thanks for the PM

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jcherskine View Post
    Personally I have always had Rolex watches with a cyclops.

Never did, nor never will yearn for a non cyclops model.

Your personal opinion, is your opinion, and not necessarily how others would feel.
    Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

No Cyclops, No date, No Rolex......

Master
    I like the cyclops, it's part of the classic Oyster look. I actually prefer watches without a date function generally, yet I still like the cyclops.

My 16030 Datejust has a cyclops which I don't like but the watch has sentimental meaning for me so it will stay

[QUOTE=pacchi;3937665]No Cyclops, No date, No Rolex......[/QUOTE

What about the no date models made by rolex in the rolex factory? And the date models with no Cyclops made by rolex - also in the rolex factory?

Master
    Or the ceramic Submariner-Dates fitted with ceramic submariner crystals by RSC
    No Cyclops, Yes Date, Yes Rolex

Grand Master
    So many extreme points of view. I hate the cyclops, the cyclops is the centre of my world, nothing matters more than the cyclops, the cyclops is the root of all evil. Either way, it's daft and all "fundie" to ignore entire watches because of it.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic_Magpie View Post
    The whole point is that if you own a Rolex with a cyclops, you will yearn for a non-cyclops model. If you hve purchased a non-cylops Rolex, you ill wish for a a cyclops model.
    That is because the cyclops is the only thing worth talking about apparently! I swear it's like all other facets and characteristics of Rolex wristwatches are irrelevant.

Master
    In my younger days I would not have a cyclops but now, with glasses, I find it easier to read the date when magnified. Head rules heart - I want a watch that is accurate and easy to read so for me it's an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    So many extreme points of view. I hate the cyclops, the cyclops is the centre of my world, nothing matters more than the cyclops, the cyclops is the root of all evil. Either way, it's daft and all "fundie" to ignore entire watches because of it.
    Purely in terms of attractiveness, l would think differently about an "entire" woman if she had an unsightly growth on her face - or one lens was ridiculously over-magnified on her glasses - even if she was otherwise "perfect". Nothing "daft" about that, just not my taste - lm sure there's someone out there who loves women with warts who are visually impaired in one eye - nowt so queer as folk...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Purely in terms of attractiveness, l would think differently about an "entire" woman if she had an unsightly growth on her face - or one lens was ridiculously over-magnified on her glasses - even if she was otherwise "perfect". Nothing "daft" about that, just not my taste - lm sure there's someone out there who loves women with warts who are visually impaired in one eye - nowt so queer as folk...
    These are luxury wristwatches, not people. If you can't tell the difference, that's extremely unusual.

In practical terms, if you don't like the Cyclops, but you like the rest of the watch, you can have it removed.

These are luxury wristwatches, not people. If you can't tell the difference, that's extremely unusual.

In practical terms, if you don't like the Cyclops, but you like the rest of the watch, you can have it removed.
    Google "Analogy".
    My advice to you is to try to focus upon the spirit of a thing rather than the letter...

That said - lm sure some otherwise normal women regularly benefit from having ugly growths removed.

Craftsman
    I dislike the Cyclops so much I would not buy a watch with one. Spoils the crystal/dial IMO.

Have never been a fan, but the model I wanted isn't available without one, have to say it has never bothered me at all. Frankly it's quite nice to have the big date even if my sight is pretty good, and not having a date is a bit of a bummer on an everyday watch. Also suits the brands' "form follow function". I don't like when it's removed, makes the watch look crippled.

However the symmetry and cleaner look of the ND makes it a more handsome watch hands down.

Blog Entries
    Either way, it's daft and all "fundie" to ignore entire watches because of it.
    Collectors (of all sorts of things) tend towards obsessiveness and fundamentalism in their respective fields. It's who we are. ;-)

I prefer the non cyclops look with a date, its just tidy

Master
    Amazed this thread is still going.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Amazed this thread is still going.
    Ask a silly question...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Ask a silly question...
    And get quite a good range of answers