closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Worth upgrading my Nespresso machine?

Worth upgrading my Nespresso machine?

Apologies in advance for another coffee thread...

I've had a Magimix M100 for donkey's. The coffee is good if not outstanding and it works fine. All was good with the world until I got an e-mail from Nespresso with their new bluetooth enabled machine. Now, the bluetooth one seemed wholly pointless to me but it got me thinking about the other newer models on sale. Are the basic models better than they were say 6 or 7 years ago? Do they make nicer coffee? I don't really need any more features but am I missing out on a better cup?

My initial thought was probably not but thinking about it I seem to enjoy cups from the office Pixie more than the M100 so there must be a difference between machines.

Does anyone have any sage advice?

Journeyman
    Yes, here's some Sage advice - get a Sage bean to cup coffee machine by Heston Blumenthal :D
    The pods are ok, standing alone you'll think they're fine (a lot of people think good even) but they really don't compare once you've used fresh roasted & ground beans!

My motto when undecided - "Go on, treat yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post

I've had a Magimix M100 for donkey's. The coffee is good if not outstanding and it works fine. All was good with the world until I got an e-mail from Nespresso with their new bluetooth enabled machine. Now, the bluetooth one seemed wholly pointless to me but it got me thinking about the other newer models on sale. Are the basic models better than they were say 6 or 7 years ago? Do they make nicer coffee? I don't really need any more features but am I missing out on a better cup?

My initial thought was probably not but thinking about it I seem to enjoy cups from the office Pixie more than the M100 so there must be a difference between machines.

I'm in the same boat really, looked at a bean to cup but loved the simplicity of the Nespresso and it's not far off.

I only drink espresso so just got the basic Krups Pixie it's a few years old now so looking at another Nespresso machine but unsure if there is any real difference in quality given they all use the same pods!

I'm looking at the Prodigio Titan

I've just replaced my Nespresso machine which was about 8 years old (at a guess). Like you, I love the simplicity of Nespresso - good coffee with no fuss. I'm sure there are better coffee machines out there but, at 5.30 in the morning, I place a lot of value on ease of use.

I can't remember what my old one was (Magimix, I think) but it was a manual where you had to pull a handle forward to get the coffee going and push it back to stop. My new one is just the basic machine which was cheap as Nespresso was doing their semi-regular £45 off the retail price. It's automatic but I can't for the life of me figure out the generic instructions to change the standard measures to suit my preference so I have to stand over it just like before. it also seems a little more awkward to use as the coffee capsule tray and water reservoir are smaller. Not a big deal, and the coffee tastes just as good. Not sure what you really get with the more expensive machines.

One thing that I would jump on is if they did a model which could preload the capsule not just eject them so I could have my double Kazzar ready when I come down in the mornings.

Master
    Having commented on the Nespresso thread earlier I can only say that, for me anyway, it's all about the coffee. Nespresso offer a decent range but I have never tasted as good a cup as a single estate product, freshly roasted. My friend's very expensive Rocket machine makes great coffee but he is a coffee nut and has an £800 grinder and all the bits. I use a £600 Jura bean to cup and it isn't as good, but a close second I would say. If I was using blends like Lavazza I would probably stick with the Aeropress.

Master
    I can't see any particular benefits from moving from an old nespresso machine to a new one, apart from aesthetics. There has been no development in technology that makes a newer machine better than an older one.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to upgrade to that gorgeous red kitchenaid one when I get paid of course

Master
    I've been looking at getting a decent coffee machine for ages so interested in people's suggestions :-)

Nespresso to Nespresso, no point. Machines are largely the same when it comes to the pump, only difference is added functionality (milk frothing) and aesthetics.

Be careful with the Sage all in ones. The Oracle is as good as any Nespresso if you factor cost vs quality. The grinder is inconsistent, and the steam wand is useless if you want more than one cup at a time. If you're an amateur and don't mind it, go for the Barista Express. If you're an enthusiast, get the Dual Boiler. If you insist on spending £2k, get yourself a decent home grinder and a Rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    One thing that I would jump on is if they did a model which could preload the capsule not just eject them so I could have my double Kazzar ready when I come down in the mornings.
    I was sent an email from John Lewis almost offering this - via Bluetooth so for the smaller house I guess.

http://www.johnlewis.com/nespresso-p...ilver/p2571209

Journeyman
    As far as pod machines go Nespresso is probably as good as it gets, however it will never be as good as proper freshly roasted/ground beans. There is a world of different coffees to try and youre missing out by getting a pod machine.
    If you want espresso based drinks get an espresso machine such as Gaggia classic if you like brewed/filter get a Aeropress, V60, Chemex, etc. A decent burr grinder is essential though.
    Im a relative beginner and Im loving experimenting with different beans in both Classic and Aeropress. I tried a coffee from the work machine today which i used to think was good and i actually couldnt finish it. This could be a negative as Ive clearly become a coffee ponce but i would never go back to pods!

[IMG][/IMG]

Master
    The Nespresso machines are the best if you want pods and no faffing around, like me. Newer machines are no better than older ones except cosmetic changes. However in hard water areas scaling can lead to leakages around the seals and therefore a loss of pressure.
    Alteration of the dispensing volume can be achieved by holding down the button and releasing it when sufficient water has passed through. It will memorise the last setting. I use filtered water also.

Craftsman

The Nespresso machines are all built to a set of specifications by companies like Gaggia/Magimix/Krups etc. and the specifications are set by Nespresso. In a side by side comparison between your old M100 and the current (almost) equivalent a "Pixie", as long as you put the same water (either filtered or straight from the tap) in both machines, and as long as both machines are pulling the specified 19-bar of pressure, you won't notice a difference. A Nespresso machine seems to be a bit like buying a Ford Focus with the same 1.6 engine, and then upping the trim to add a built in milk frother, auto-pod dispensing or bluetooth (which i'm now off to investigate).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Robbins View Post
    As far as pod machines go Nespresso is probably as good as it gets, however it will never be as good as proper freshly roasted/ground beans. There is a world of different coffees to try and youre missing out by getting a pod machine.
    If you want espresso based drinks get an espresso machine such as Gaggia classic if you like brewed/filter get a Aeropress, V60, Chemex, etc. A decent burr grinder is essential though.
    Im a relative beginner and Im loving experimenting with different beans in both Classic and Aeropress. I tried a coffee from the work machine today which i used to think was good and i actually couldnt finish it. This could be a negative as Ive clearly become a coffee ponce but i would never go back to pods!

[IMG][/IMG]
    A man after my own tastes..... TZ does seem to be a bit of a Nespresso fan club!

Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    The Nespresso machines are all built to a set of specifications by companies like Gaggia/Magimix/Krups etc. and the specifications are set by Nespresso. In a side by side comparison between your old M100 and the current (almost) equivalent a "Pixie", as long as you put the same water (either filtered or straight from the tap) in both machines, and as long as both machines are pulling the specified 19-bar of pressure, you won't notice a difference. A Nespresso machine seems to be a bit like buying a Ford Focus with the same 1.6 engine, and then upping the trim to add a built in milk frother, auto-pod dispensing or bluetooth (which i'm now off to investigate).
    That's pretty much what I was getting at and the answer I was expecting. Let me know whether you can see any benefit in the BT machine other than bragging rights.

Craftsman
    That's pretty much what I was getting at and the answer I was expecting. Let me know whether you can see any benefit in the BT machine other than bragging rights.
    Well the main features listed were pod stock controlling and reordering, scheduled brewing and water level notifications.

Now with the pod stock controlling feature, well I don't know about you but with a semi-automatic machine where you load the pod yourself before brewing, I tend to know when I'm getting low on pods.

With scheduled brewing, my personal issue there is that I assume you have to load a pod in advance of the scheduled brew. Unless Nespresso have built in a feature where it loads the pod into the chamber but doesn't pierce it until just before brewing, you're going to have a pod with a broken seal waiting for however many hours, and potentially losing its potency.

The other notifications you can get are for water level alerts and spent pod bin level. What's the point?

I think it may be a case that Nespresso wanted to bring out a new model, but their "system" is so dependable and repeatable that they have to bolt on things like Bluetooth device control.

My advice to you is if you're serious about changing your Nespresso machine, try to find the deal that gives you a Pixie machine plus an Aeroccino 3. The Aeroccino is a great little bit of kit and makes good smooth hot milk for lattes or, if you're clever and add the powder while its spinning, you can make delicious hot chocolates with it too. The Pixie itself is a super-simple Nespresso machine, slimmer than your M100 too.

Well the main features listed were pod stock controlling and reordering, scheduled brewing and water level notifications.

Now with the pod stock controlling feature, well I don't know about you but with a semi-automatic machine where you load the pod yourself before brewing, I tend to know when I'm getting low on pods.

With scheduled brewing, my personal issue there is that I assume you have to load a pod in advance of the scheduled brew. Unless Nespresso have built in a feature where it loads the pod into the chamber but doesn't pierce it until just before brewing, you're going to have a pod with a broken seal waiting for however many hours, and potentially losing its potency.

The other notifications you can get are for water level alerts and spent pod bin level. What's the point?

I think it may be a case that Nespresso wanted to bring out a new model, but their "system" is so dependable and repeatable that they have to bolt on things like Bluetooth device control.

My advice to you is if you're serious about changing your Nespresso machine, try to find the deal that gives you a Pixie machine plus an Aeroccino 3. The Aeroccino is a great little bit of kit and makes good smooth hot milk for lattes or, if you're clever and add the powder while its spinning, you can make delicious hot chocolates with it too. The Pixie itself is a super-simple Nespresso machine, slimmer than your M100 too.
    Glad it wasn't just me. Given the time it takes to fire up the machine, pop a pod in and make a cup, the scheduling thing seemed unecessary but I hadn't thought about the freshness point which actually makes it a retrograde step.

I may well get a Pixie/Aerocinno package as the M100 is a manual and that does annoy me. Ta for the input.

I will wait for a fully automated Nespresso machine to hit the market!

Quote Originally Posted by chrig View Post
    Yes, here's some Sage advice - get a Sage bean to cup coffee machine by Heston Blumenthal :D
    The pods are ok, standing alone you'll think they're fine (a lot of people think good even) but they really don't compare once you've used fresh roasted & ground beans!
    I have one of those - i really need to put it up on sales corner as it hasn't been used since i got the nespresso

They have got a new model... But it's US only and is designed to make big cups (nespresso have massive market share in Europe and tiny in US).

It uses a different brewing process and i would guess at some stage will be adapters for a new range of espresso machines - partly because the pod design is under patent unlike the expired current design.

My 6 yr old citz nespresso machine doesn't warm the coffee up nearly as well as my 6 month old machine at work
    Andy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Robbins View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
    'Coffee ponce' brilliant.

I feel a bit like that when people offer me a coffee at their house and I ask if it's instant. I've not drank instant coffee in about 10 years (well, apart from at the in laws)

Apprentice
    Coffe Ponce

I've got a Delonghi Bean to Cup and couldn't live without it... Auto start up at 6am, wonder to it and press a button and have a brilliant cup of coffee ready.

Personally couldn't be assed with the Sage range as its a lot more 'work' but they make an epic coffee. Basically get a decent Bean to Cup and don't look back :)

Master
    Quick question on Nespresso.

We want to get one for work, one that can do cappuccinos lattes etc. Nothing particularly fancy. Had a Tassimo which was okay for work but broke quite quickly.

Any recommendations?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Quick question on Nespresso.

We want to get one for work, one that can do cappuccinos lattes etc. Nothing particularly fancy. Had a Tassimo which was okay for work but broke quite quickly.

Any recommendations?

Magimix Citiz using Nespresso pods with a milk frother attached.