closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Watch - Navitimer?

Journeyman

First Watch - Navitimer?

Hi
    Need suggestions for my first watch. My heart on a Breitling Navitimer 01. Also considering Omega PO and Chopard Millie Miglia.

cheers

Master
    quite different styles!

Hi Navaro - welcome to the forum.

Can't fault your taste.

I have a vintage Navitimer and love it to bits - but I hope your eyesight is top notch! There's a lot going on any Navitimer dial.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    quite different styles!
    yes they are indeed...coz this is my first watch worth mentioning.. i do have a Tissot PRS200 which i like very much and feels good on my wrist. but yes they are all very different from each other... i am looking for what looks nice in terms of design and a problem free watch

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Hi Navaro - welcome to the forum.

Can't fault your taste.

I have a vintage Navitimer and love it to bits - but I hope your eyesight is top notch! There's a lot going on any Navitimer dial.
    Thanks for your reply....i categorise the watches belonging to sea, land, air - Omega, TAG, Breitling and like the idea of heights at the moment... there are obviously better watches watches representing moon and so on... but i guess i have not reached that stage yet :-) just an apprentice :-)

The Navitimer is a classic design and, although it's changed somewhat, Breitling have (wisely) resisted fiddling with it too much.

If you like the look, go for it, would be my advice!

The first 'good' watch I purchased was a Navitimer too.

M

Master
    Love my Navitimer, and hanker after an 01.

Of the 3 choices you have given the Navi would be my choice.

It's an icon, go for it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The Navitimer is a classic design and, although it's changed somewhat, Breitling have (wisely) resisted fiddling with it too much.

M
    What year is this one... obviously very old i guess.... cant see the logo on the dial or at the base of second hand.

Ain't it a beauty!!!

Quote Originally Posted by navaro View Post
    What year is this one... obviously very old i guess.... cant see the logo on the dial or at the base of second hand.

Ain't it a beauty!!!
    I think so, it's a 1967

My point for posting (other than I love it ) is that most of the elements are still there in the current models, which, for me, is a big plus.

M.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    Love my Navitimer, and hanker after an 01.

Of the 3 choices you have given the Navi would be my choice.

It's an icon, go for it.
    Thanks for teh advice.... is it expensive to get it serviced? .. somehow the only thing i dont like abt Navi is that it is advised to keep the second hand still and not use it as it drains the battery and causes wear and tear... whereas i like to see the sweeping second hand moving always so that one can admire the movement :-)

Journeyman
    I think so, it's a 1967

My point for posting (other than I love it ) is that most of the elements are still there in the current models, which, for me, is a big plus.

M.
    it is reallly loved and well maintained... for a 1967 watch it is extremely well kept

Journeyman

Smile

it is reallly loved and well maintained... for a 1967 watch it is extremely well kept
    you must share how to take care of these watches...

Craftsman
    Thanks for teh advice.... is it expensive to get it serviced? .. somehow the only thing i dont like abt Navi is that it is advised to keep the second hand still and not use it as it drains the battery and causes wear and tear... whereas i like to see the sweeping second hand moving always so that one can admire the movement :-)
    You won't have to worry about a battery on one of those Navitimers!

As far as I know the only quartz Navitimer is the long-defunct digital version.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    You won't have to worry about a battery on one of those Navitimers!

As far as I know the only quartz Navitimer is the long-defunct digital version.
    Indeed if it has a battery, walk, no RUN, away!

M.

Master

Arrow

Hi
    Need suggestions for my first watch. My heart on a Breitling Navitimer 01. Also considering Omega PO and Chopard Millie Miglia.

cheers
    Hi Naveen,

obviously i would suggest that the navi is the best place for your money but then i may have a vested interest

The second had does run continuously, its on the left subdial, the red hand is the chronograph hand which should only be used when using the chronograph really but i have seen a lot of people run them continuously for some reason

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Hi Naveen,

obviously i would suggest that the navi is the best place for your money but then i may have a vested interest

The second had does run continuously, its on the left subdial, the red hand is the chronograph hand which should only be used when using the chronograph really but i have seen a lot of people run them continuously for some reason

Thanks Cyrusir!!!
    I know the vested interest ;-)

I meant the red second hand.. apologies if i was not clear... if the red second had is kept in running mode then the watch can run out of power sooner than 70 hrs and cause wear and tear... and may lead to parts replacement ( more money)

Excellent

Master
    Go for the Navitimer while your eyes are young enough to read the details on the dial.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Excellent
    by battery i did not mean the BATTERY.. i meant power reserve ;-) of course Navi doesnt have a battery!!!

by battery i did not mean the BATTERY.. i meant power reserve ;-) of course Navi doesnt have a battery!!!
    Hey no worries chum, you can't go far wrong with a Navitimer,

Craftsman
    Navitimer gets my vote. It was my first 'proper' watch too. Up to you whether you run the Chronograph all the time or not. Yes, it will wear it a bit quicker I suppose, but you could also argue that it's ensuring the whole movement is running and the oil is moving. I find I'm quite happy not to run it except when I want to time something, but I do also run it for 12 hours every so often just to make sure every hand has had a 360 degree turn. 70 hour power reserve is massive so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Servicing is not cheap, but by the time it needs one it will be out of warranty so you can send it to an independent - there are lots recommended on here. They will usually cost less and do as good a job - or better!

They are beautiful watches, always better in the flesh than in pictures, and easy to read once you're used to the business of the dial. I have to confess that the calculator ring is beyond my eyesight unless I'm wearing my reading glasses!

The only warning I'll give you is that you might think, as I did when I bought mine, that this would be the 'only' watch..... I'm currently running at 10 watches - not all Navitimer price to be sure, but just beware!

Master
    Bloody marvellous the Navitimer.

M
    That is one of my holy grails! Venus, Valjoux or Lemania? 1967, probably a Lemania, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BernardF View Post
    That is one of my holy grails! Venus, Valjoux or Lemania? 1967, probably a Lemania, right?
    You tell me...

M.

Journeyman
    Beautiful watch the Navitimer.

There are quite a few for sale on watchfinder: http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Breitli...salesprice_ets asc&page=1

Alos a question for the Navi experts - What's the easiest way to differentiate (from the appearance) an in-house movement vs. a modified ETA on the Navi?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by owais01 View Post
    Beautiful watch the Navitimer.

There are quite a few for sale on watchfinder: http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Breitli...salesprice_ets asc&page=1

Alos a question for the Navi experts - What's the easiest way to differentiate (from the appearance) an in-house movement vs. a modified ETA on the Navi?
    B01 Navitimer (in house) has the red chronograph second hand. I think that's the easiest way to spot it. Others may have other ways

Another plug for the Navitimer - I bought a new Navitimer World just before Christmas, and it's a fabulous watch...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Hi Naveen, obviously i would suggest that the navi is the best place for your money but then i may have a vested interest The second had does run continuously, its on the left subdial, the red hand is the chronograph hand which should only be used when using the chronograph really but i have seen a lot of people run them continuously for some reason
    I was on the London Underground the other day and the passenger opposite me was wearing a Navitimer with the chronograph running continuously. I was dying to ask him why, but of course I'm British and we don't do that sort of thing...!

Simon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I was on the London Underground the other day and the passenger opposite me was wearing a Navitimer with the chronograph running continuously. I was dying to ask him why, but of course I'm British and we don't do that sort of thing...!

Simon
    I sometimes run mine to time my journey

It wasn't you on the Northern Line, was it?!

Simon

Craftsman
    It wasn't you on the Northern Line, was it?!

Simon
    Nah. Bakerloo :-)

Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    B01 Navitimer (in house) has the red chronograph second hand. I think that's the easiest way to spot it. Others may have other ways
    01 also has black date wheel and applied wings.

I have and also prefer (looks-wise) the 7750 version with arabics, mines from from 2004, they`re a little more subtle than the latest offering - Breitling just can`t help themselves, can they?
    Dial legibility just isn`t a problem, they may look busy to some but they`re completely readable at a glance (apart from the slide rule as mentioned above, but that`s more to do with my eyesight these days..)
    A Navitimer is the only Breitling you`ll ever see on my wrist, the others are a bit blingy for me, `designer`, or H Samuel!
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 28th March 2016 at 21:55.

You tell me...

M.
    Venus! Me like...

Craftsman
    Navi was my first too

Journeyman
    Another plug for the Navitimer - I bought a new Navitimer World just before Christmas, and it's a fabulous watch...

Simon
    Thanks for your advice!

All three very fine watches ( depending on which Chopard MM it is ).
    Breitling may not be a bad choice, though.

Craftsman
    Honestly, i would advice to do more research if I were you. To my mind the watches you mention are quite different and it might suggest that you have no idea of what you want. I really like the Navitimer, with 01 movement it is a hundred percent solid watch, but in stead of just spending top money i would advice you to search more and figure out what you exactly want.

That being said, if you buy a used Breitling navitimer at a good price you could probably flip it without losing that much, might even close to break even.

Quote Originally Posted by Knisse View Post
    Honestly, i would advice to do more research if I were you. To my mind the watches you mention are quite different and it might suggest that you have no idea of what you want.
    I agree with the above, all seem quite different. Personally i love the navitimer, i was also considering it as my first watch but went with something different. Definitely on my "to buy" list at some point.

Honestly, i would advice to do more research if I were you. To my mind the watches you mention are quite different and it might suggest that you have no idea of what you want. I really like the Navitimer, with 01 movement it is a hundred percent solid watch, but in stead of just spending top money i would advice you to search more and figure out what you exactly want. That being said, if you buy a used Breitling navitimer at a good price you could probably flip it without losing that much, might even close to break even.
    ...or he could buy a new one at a 35% discount like I did...

Simon

Journeyman
    Honestly, i would advice to do more research if I were you. To my mind the watches you mention are quite different and it might suggest that you have no idea of what you want. I really like the Navitimer, with 01 movement it is a hundred percent solid watch, but in stead of just spending top money i would advice you to search more and figure out what you exactly want.

That being said, if you buy a used Breitling navitimer at a good price you could probably flip it without losing that much, might even close to break even.
    Thanks for the advice... I do agree that the watches at all different..... Navitimer being a pilot watch I did consider similar IWC but prefer Navitimer. Omega is good but I see them everywhere ... Chopard MM was a one I tried in Venice and I quite liked it that's why in the list above... The dark and grey side of moon are desirable but a bit steep in price... I guess I am getting a navitimer at a competitive price and guess it will keep me satisfied for some years.... I have tried to see all the good ones, IWC, zenith, panerai etc but this one caught my eye.... Any other suggestions for under €5000 watch?

- - - Updated - - -

...or he could buy a new one at a 35% discount like I did...

Simon
    Where did u get it,.... I'm getting new one for €5800 after all discounts

Aah, you're not looking hard enough.

You can currently get a brand new Navitimer World for £3128 + delivery from PlusWatch in Italy, or a brand new Navitimer 01 (with the in-house movement) for £3520 + delivery from Orologeria Bodoni in Italy. You'll find both deals on Chrono24.

I bought my World from PlusWatch and the whole transaction was faultless. Can't vouch for Orologeria Bodoni personally, but others may be able to...

Simon

Have you thought about a Zenith El Primero? That would probably be my choice if I were you.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BernardF View Post
    Have you thought about a Zenith El Primero? That would probably be my choice if I were you.
    Beautiful watch! 3600 vph smother sweep of second hand .... Probably more wear and tear and frequent servicing.... But you got me thinking .....

Craftsman
    Aah, you're not looking hard enough.

You can currently get a brand new Navitimer World for £3128 + delivery from PlusWatch in Italy, or a brand new Navitimer 01 (with the in-house movement) for £3520 + delivery from Orologeria Bodoni in Italy. You'll find both deals on Chrono24.

I bought my World from PlusWatch and the whole transaction was faultless. Can't vouch for Orologeria Bodoni personally, but others may be able to...

Simon
    Hi Simon

How much was the postage from pluswatch? And how long did the transaction take?

Mark

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice... I do agree that the watches at all different..... Navitimer being a pilot watch I did consider similar IWC but prefer Navitimer. Omega is good but I see them everywhere ... Chopard MM was a one I tried in Venice and I quite liked it that's why in the list above... The dark and grey side of moon are desirable but a bit steep in price... I guess I am getting a navitimer at a competitive price and guess it will keep me satisfied for some years.... I have tried to see all the good ones, IWC, zenith, panerai etc but this one caught my eye.... Any other suggestions for under €5000 watch?
    It is difficult to just recommend watches as i do not see a similar pattern of styles in the models you want, the MM (granted there is a lot of models) is very different from the navitimer and the GSOTM.

Without any information to go on, and if i should recommend a first expensive watch i would probably advice a simple sport watch: a Rolex submariner or perhaps a Omega seamaster/planet ocean/aqua terra - depending on preference.

Why? They are easily flipped, much easier than the once you mention. They are very well liked watches, they are versatile and would be a good core if you would want a further collection.

Most people will end up going through a few watches before they figure out exactly what they want. I know i did :-)

It is difficult to just recommend watches as i do not see a similar pattern of styles in the models you want, the MM (granted there is a lot of models) is very different from the navitimer and the GSOTM.

Without any information to go on, and if i should recommend a first expensive watch i would probably advice a simple sport watch: a Rolex submariner or perhaps a Omega seamaster/planet ocean/aqua terra - depending on preference.

Why? They are easily flipped, much easier than the once you mention. They are very well liked watches, they are versatile and would be a good core if you would want a further collection.

Most people will end up going through a few watches before they figure out exactly what they want. I know i did :-)
    I can't argue with your logic generally, but given the Navitimer is the OP's preferred option (judging from the thread title) a Sub (or Omega diver) seem like a really odd suggestion.

He explained his selection of a number of watches

Thanks for your reply....i categorise the watches belonging to sea, land, air - Omega, TAG, Breitling and like the idea of heights at the moment... there are obviously better watches watches representing moon and so on... but i guess i have not reached that stage yet :-) just an apprentice :-)
    but clearly favours the Navitimer as his first choice.

If someone had simply said "What watch should I buy c. £5K?", I'd say your suggestion was sound, but a Sub instead of a Navitimer? Makes no sense to me...

The Zenith's a much better alternative suggestion, imo.

M

Craftsman
    @Snowman:
    I understand what you are saying Snowman. My initial thought was that 5000€ is a lot of money, most people will never ever spend that kind of money on a wristwatch hence i would still argue that more research and perhaps wait a few months before taking the plunge.
    Some do not have that kind of patience, therefore i started recommended solid core watches that at guaranteed flipable hence the Omega/Rolex type of line up.

You are absolutely right, he did say that he didnt like the look of Omega because he saw them everywhere. I just read his first post where he mention that he even considered a planet ocean. Again, all these back and forths just tells me that it might be better to hold your horses and wait some time.

@navaro
    No offence meant, i just recall these kind of threads and questions from myself when i started and i have flipped 10+ watches (and lost some money in the meanwhile, just trying to prevent that)

Journeyman
    @Snowman:
    I understand what you are saying Snowman. My initial thought was that 5000€ is a lot of money, most people will never ever spend that kind of money on a wristwatch hence i would still argue that more research and perhaps wait a few months before taking the plunge.
    Some do not have that kind of patience, therefore i started recommended solid core watches that at guaranteed flipable hence the Omega/Rolex type of line up.

You are absolutely right, he did say that he didnt like the look of Omega because he saw them everywhere. I just read his first post where he mention that he even considered a planet ocean. Again, all these back and forths just tells me that it might be better to hold your horses and wait some time.

@navaro
    No offence meant, i just recall these kind of threads and questions from myself when i started and i have flipped 10+ watches (and lost some money in the meanwhile, just trying to prevent that)
    Thanks for the solid advice... Offence ? Not at all... I'm here to learn from experts ... I have just embarked on the journey!

It started coup,e of years back when I missed the opportunity to buy TH Carrera for $2200. Then I cud not buy it coz the prices started going up... Can't buy it for 3200 now :-) so none other option left but to go up ;-)

I liked the feel of navitimer.... I tried Omega seamaster the basic one and planet ocean... But they didn't look good on my wrist.... Will post pics of all I have tried... Navitimer looked sexiest !

One of the advantages of the El Primero is that you can find any style you may like, from the slightly psychedelic Nataf-era designs to much more classical ones. Wear on the movement isn't really a factor IMHO, as long as it is serviced properly, like all mechanical watches. The EP is a robust movement in general. I'm not aware of major problems in its 40+ years of service.

My favourite is this one:
    http://www.zenith-watches.com/media/...ial_cuir_2.jpg

Or if your budget stretches this far:
    http://www.zenith-watches.com/media/..._21_C721_3.jpg

Given that you are considering a Navitimer, you shouldn't be totally averse to this style... ;)

If you want to go for pre-owned, I'd recommend a Rainbow flyback:
    http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/s...k/DSC00556.jpg

All pics shamelessly swiped from the web.

Quote Originally Posted by ml.williams View Post
    Hi Simon How much was the postage from pluswatch? And how long did the transaction take? Mark
    Hi Mark.

PlusWatch charge €40 for shipping by courier, then €10 per €1000 of value for full insurance, so I paid €70 on top of the price for the watch. They acknowledged receipt of funds via Chrono24 within 24 hours. It was collected at 4pm from the dealer on a Tuesday and delivered to me in London at 2pm the following day.

I used the Chrono24 Trusted Checkout process (for which there is a small fee) because I'd never dealt with PlusWatch before. If I bought another one from them I'd go direct and save the fee...

Simon