closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Removing links

Master

Removing links

My brother has just bought a new Rolex ( not from Goldsmiths) Sub, he took it to Goldsmiths to have a couple of links taken out but they wouldn't touch it. He was expecting to pay but they still refused.

Is this normal and where would you suggest he goes?

Completely understand it's their prerogative but as an AD should they be providing this service, obviously at a price?

Grand Master
    Maybe they are not screwdriver trained!
    RIAC

Craftsman
    I don't know if it's normal but it's certainly pathetic!

I suggest he goes to WatchObsession to buy a suitable cut-out screwdriver for a tenner and do the job himself. It's very easy—a good deal easier than sizing a Seiko pin-and-collar bracelet, for example.

Master
    I offered to do it but he didn't seem to trust me, to the lay person I guess an AD seems the safest option. I got a call off him asking if he should go to a Timpdonsesque place!!!

Chrs for the responses

Removing links

If you purchased a new one from Goldsmiths they would certainly size the bracelet- so it is not a matter of ability.
    Seems odd behavior from an AD surely they would want to encourage your brother to be a customer not discourage.

I may be naive here but don't they have an obligation to Rolex too ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I suggest he goes to WatchObsession to buy a suitable cut-out screwdriver for a tenner and do the job himself. It's very easy—a good deal easier than sizing a Seiko pin-and-collar bracelet, for example.
    This one for a Sea-Dweller? https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...ut-screwdriver
    I fancy removing the extension piece for a better fit to my wrist.

Journeyman
    I think I would have asked their reasons for refusing. It could have been that their only trained person was absent, although I would have assumed they would have said so.

Maybe go back and try on a few Rolexes and make suitable noises about going away to consider options and then "Oh by the way could you possibly adjust the bracelet on my watch, please?" It may bring about a change of attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    If you purchased a new one from Goldsmiths they would certainly size the bracelet- so it is not a matter of ability.
    Seems odd behavior from an AD surely they would want to encourage your brother to be a customer not discourage.

I may be naive here but don't they have an obligation to Rolex too ?
    Playing devils advocate they didn't get the custom for the watch sale and the risk of slipping/scratching the bracelet and time taken getting it right for the small payment, makes it quite reasonable to refuse (IMO)

Master

Removing links

I think their reason was insurance, as the watch hadn't been purchased there.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to do it, but I thought they as an AD they had an obligation i.e. To take the good ( large sales) with the bad ( annoying bracelet alterations).

I took the wife's Chanel to goldsmiths and they did it for free and I never purchased it from them,every store is obviously different when it comes to dealing with customers,I wouldn't be giving them any future sales with that sort of attitude

Master
    Surely a Rolex store will do this for free - is he near one?

Blog Entries
    For an AD to turn down that kind of service is truly bizarre (and, as observed, it is turning away potential future business).

Master
    They also advertise the service on their website http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/i/jewell...ch-alterations

Master
    I've sent an e-mail to customer services asking if this standard policy.

I may send one to Rolex asking them where they advise this can be done if their Ad's refuse.

I'll keep the thread updated

Can he go to the AD that he bought it from?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Can the OP confirm that the branch of Goldsmiths his brother went into is actually a Rolex AD?
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    I've intentionally not named and shamed. It's definitely an AD as they sell Rolex.

Master
    Sounds like naming and shaming is in order of this is a Rolex AD.

Surely a reason was given?
    lf an AD just gave me a flat "No", with no explanation, l'd boot off royally...

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I've intentionally not named and shamed. It's definitely an AD as they sell Rolex.
    It's hardly naming and shaming. They refused to perform a very basic task (their perogative), that's a simple fact rather than an opinion that could be taken in a bad light.

Sainsburys tried to deliver the wrong sized nappies again today. I doubt I'm shaming them with that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Sainsburys tried to deliver the wrong sized nappies again today. I doubt I'm shaming them with that.
    You're not but admitting you wear nappies is kind of shameful though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    The weekend *is* for relaxing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The weekend *is* for relaxing
    Being able to go at anytime is truly liberating. Try it, what's the worst that can happen.

Journeyman
    I have a friend that works for Goldsmiths and he says its policy for them to carry out bracelet sizing in store (each store has trained staff) but only on the range they carry as an individual store as they only have access to those spares if anything should go wrong. He did my Black Bay (I didn't have a screw driver small enough at the time).

If they were to slip with the screwdriver and scratch the watch or were to mangle the screw meaning the link couldn't be removed for example the customer would of course want adequate compensation. As they weren't the vendor in the first place there is no reason why they should take on the risk and liability.

They're so easy to do yourself anyway with the right screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonG156 View Post
    This one for a Sea-Dweller? https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...ut-screwdriver
    I fancy removing the extension piece for a better fit to my wrist.
    Yes, the same screwdriver fits Sub and Sea Dweller bracelets, and most Panerais, I think. Frankly, I'd rather do it myself than entrust my watch to the tender mercies of the squeaky-voiced teen in the AD's stockroom.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Maybe they are not screwdriver trained!
    Lol!

Grand Master
    If doing it yourself I would strongly advise softening the Loctite on the screws using heat. A hot air gun, naked flame or soldering iron will suffice. If the Loctite's soft you're far less likely to slip and scratch the screw or break the screw.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    If they were to slip with the screwdriver and scratch the watch or were to mangle the screw meaning the link couldn't be removed for example the customer would of course want adequate compensation. As they weren't the vendor in the first place there is no reason why they should take on the risk and liability.
    There are two reasons why they could and should take on the the risk and liability:-

(1) It is a service they can reasonably and legitimately charge for, thus offsetting the risk. (Indeed, as observed in an earlier message their website states that they provide services like this).

(2) They are an AD for the product range and so could and should be able to provide such services, even if the particular watch was not bought from them. ADs are all about service, we are told.

All things considered, it's hardly the end of the world that they couldn't or wouldn't provide this service, but it is very odd indeed. And potential risk and liability don't really explain why they wouldn't or couldn't do it.

And yes, doing it yourself is safer and easier, once you know how. :-)

Craftsman
    If they doubted they had the capability to do it then just be thankful they didn't just have go and make a hash of it!