closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MTG G Shock for lovers of small watches. Thoughts?

MTG G Shock for lovers of small watches. Thoughts?

Tokyo Tokei’s thread about his new MTG G Shock got me thinking about the MTG’s

These ‘G’s are ‘Metal Twisted’ and invariably came on a metal bracelet and had a metal / resin case construction.

There was an exception though and came from a time when Casio were playing around with the styling of their G Shocks as there had been a falling off in their popularity in the early 2000s.

This MTG was from that time 2002 and is the MTG-700L.

It is nicely featured with e-Data memory that can be password protected. It has 40 records and you can store URLs, e-mail addresses and other personal information. It has World Time, also five alarms including snooze, settable by date, month etc. It has an auto repeat 24 hr countdown timer and a 24 hr stopwatch. It also has auto EL.

It was unusual in that it was an MTG but on leather, accounting for the L in its title. Also it was change in style for ‘G’s, instead of the usual more ‘brutal’ lines this was swooping and curved a bit like a flying saucer actually.

I like the red and black accents in its case, which pick out the red accents on the dial very nicely. The padded strap is soft and comfortable, with a neat ‘G’ nub at the end to keep it from slipping the keeper.

Not only that it was small, one of the smallest G Shocks ever made. It is only 41mm wide and 11mm thick. Here it is against probably the smallest current G Shock a 5600.

Now against a current ‘giant’ MTG.

Here is a more traditional version of it on a bracelet.

So a G Shock for someone who will only wear small watches.

Any thoughts about whether you would be more prepared to wear modern G Shocks if they came more in this size and even style?

Mitch

So not a lot of thoughts then!

A bit surprising, given I am sure not many people have seen this watch or were even aware that Casio had issued this style and size of G Shock in a seeming attempt to try out the market for small sleeker G Shocks. Obviously it was not a successful change and actually they have gone the other way issuing more over sized models.

Mitch

Im not keen on how it looks to be honest so that alone would rule it out for me - however the focus here is about size so thats perhaps not quite relevant

This is still way too big and bulky for my taste. 35/36mm is my ideal though I can go a few mm either way if needed.

If they could get down to sub 38mm with more classic lines then I would be interested

As this would fly in the face of fashion then its not going to happen of course

Journeyman
    I've got an MTG 910D which wraps nicely round my wrist (c.7"). I would definitely buy more if they were smaller. Odd really, as I'd guess the size of the average Japanese wrist is fairly small.

I've only got a couple of G Shocks and that's because of the size.

Not sure of the styling on this one but if they made a few of the current range at this sort of size I'd take a serious look at them.

Can't seeing it ever happing though.

I think being over-sized is part of the whole G design thing. Implies a certain over-engineering, even if the reality is that the humble $50 DW5600 is all but impossible to kill. It's as daft as having a 4WD with bull bars and a snorkel in Chelsea but it's the (current) style. However I believe the Baby Gs became smaller recently due to changing tastes, so you never know.

I quite like the more bonkers G Shocks. Because they are shiny plastic, enormous, uncool digital, with ridiculous specs all over them like the tailgate of a 1980s Toyota saloon ("4WD 16V ABS AWS Injection Twin Cam") with their arms in the air like they just don't care. A pleasing antitode to the "precious and unique watch solemnly fashioned by artisans for your lasting pleasure" thing, which needs a poke in the ribs from time to time.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    A pleasing antitode to the "precious and unique watch solemnly fashioned by artisans for your lasting pleasure" thing, which needs a poke in the ribs from time to time.
    The 'anti-watch'!

I find big G-shocks geneally fit better than their size would suggest. I think the 1000 series Frogman has a bit of a problematic size/fit/shape though.

Personally just don't like the design of the new oversized analog G's, like the mudmaster and MTG.

I have a soft spot for the older MTG-1200B

I owned this one but recently sold it to a friend of mind who absolutely loves it, as you can see I have quite big wrists at 7 1/2" and it still looks huge, I really liked it though and will get another at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerf View Post
    The 'anti-watch'!
    Exactly. And in so doing, Casio have become the coolest watch brand on the planet.

I mean it. A $10 Casio is far cooler than any ALS, IWC, Patek or purlease, Rolex or Omega. Such obvious grasping! Casio is in-house, original, innovative, well-made and disarmingly modest. A watch for the man or woman with their own confidence.

You read it here first.

Paul

</mischievous>

The 'anti-watch'!

]

I am not so sure about that.

What is a watch, an object for telling the time accurately, contained in a package that will be robust and flexible to wear without breaking or just a piece of jewelry?

If it is jewelry, why do we need a movement at all, we can just have the case and dial, who cares about accuracy, it is accurate twice a day at least.

The anti-watch seems to me to be better described as something that sacrifices timekeeping and long term wear-ability for just looks.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    The anti-watch seems to me to be better described as something that sacrifices timekeeping and long term wear-ability for just looks.
    Or something that annihilates with a Rolex into pure energy! Perhaps a Rolex is more of an anti-watch than a G, then.
    Last edited by rogerf; 23rd April 2016 at 03:36.

Sorry, that was maybe a little facetious and inflammatory. I should have said Breitling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    A watch for the man or woman with their own confidence.
    I like to proudly display my confidence with these two beauties*

*am I trying too hard?
    Last edited by rogerf; 23rd April 2016 at 03:32.

Maybe a G-Shock movement in a more refined titanium case and a sapphire crystal?
    Atomic timekeeping too. About 41mm I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Maybe a G-Shock movement in a more refined titanium case and a sapphire crystal?
    Pretty cool. What's the model?

Pretty cool. What's the model?
    That's the OCW-S100-1AJF. Creation have some I think.

Great watch - one of my daily rotation and my wife's favourite above many of my more expensive pieces.

(Although oddly all my photos have disappeared off photobucket...)

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post

Yes, Oceanus provide an excellent price to quality ratio.

I have just the one but I like it a lot, it is feels great on the wrist with its light titanium and comfortable bracelet. Mine has a few more of the features you might expect to see on a G Shock. Has a very unusual feature, an analogue Tide Graph.

Mitch

Oh yea Mitch, that's a nice Oceanus too. Analogue tide graph! Which model is that one?

Oh yea Mitch, that's a nice Oceanus too. Analogue tide graph! Which model is that one?

It is the Oceanus OCW-M700.

Mitch

That's really nice.
    Like that a lot.