View Poll Results: Which Rolex to keep?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1016 Explorer

108 62.79%
  • LV Hulk

64 37.21%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex; one stays, one goes. Which?

Master
    The Explorer suits you really well, it may be 36mm but like me you're lucky as it fits like glove, a very cool watch. Whereas the LV is... um... large and green!

I know LVs are much loved so that's very much a personal reaction. If you don't wear the Explorer, and are about to get a 1655 that you will reach for every time instead, and do actually wear the LV, then I can see this would be a very hard choice. Though clearly there are worse problems to have!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    But it's not that I don't like the 1016, I love it, it just doesn't get worn as much as the LV - the LV is just so... sturdy? For want of a better word. I trust it.
    Keep the LV (not least because I just became a new owner of one and can concur - it's a fantastic go-anywhere watch with the green making it different from the rest). If you have the 1655 I am guessing the 1016 will get even less time.

I'm an old bloke (relative to some) and don't find it large -

A birth year 1016 Explorer and a 1655 Explorer II would make the perfect pair IMO.

Sell the green machine!!

The LV is certainly not large but I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. If I were to chose one it would be the LV every time but nobody here has the connection to Explorer that you do so only you know its personal value. Only you can answer your poll question.

Whatever you do, dont let that explorer do anywhere its so nice!

Master
    Keep the explorer Easley answered as I don't like green watches if it was a black sub that would be a lot harder

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Keep the explorer Easley answered as I don't like green watches
    Interesting, but not surprising, that most people have answered the question according to which watch they like the most. But that's the wrong answer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Interesting, but not surprising, that most people have answered the question according to which watch they like the most. But that's the wrong answer.
    really?

I'd like to explore people's thoughts as I'm genuinely conflicted here.

Master
    I'd keep the Explorer, but then I don't like green unless it's British Racing Green.

Tha green thing.

It looks to me like you prefer the LV, it is a watch that you actually enjoy wearing

You may love the Explorer, it may make sense to keep but realistically it will just sit in its box looking pretty (and increasing in value)

Watches are made to be worn and enjoyed so im going for the green

Master
    I really like the LV (in fact there's one its way to me right now), but they can be bought any time the requisite cash is to hand - so I voted to keep the Explorer simply on that basis.

"If you don't use it, lose it" is my motto when it comes to most things. As lovely as the Explorer is, no point keeping it if you don't wear it as much as the LV.

The fact you are even thinking about letting the 1016 go tells me that perhaps you are not quite as attached to it as you think. The sensible thing is to keep the one you can't replace - but if you wear the LV all the time instead of it then I think that is the answer.

Keep the LV.

Or maybe try wearing the 1016 for a week or two and don't use the LV at all, then decide.

Craftsman
    It would be easy for me, sell the Hulk.......

Master
    On looks alone, if it was my choice I would keep the hulk!

Master
    Personally it would be an easy choice, keep the LV. However for you is definitely the opposite. Whichever one you sell you are going to regret it. The hulk is easily replaceable...
    Sell it cheap enough to me and I'll give you an 12 months buy back at the same price guarantee no questions asked :-)
    Jokes aside are you sure you can't keep both at least for a while?

Master

Which to keep ?

Just my two penneth ,the 1016 would be much harder to replace as they are quite scarce and even more difficult to find a nice one trust me !

I sold a 1016 and then it took me ages to find another ,I'm a big fan of 1655s as but when I've got one I'm mm about them and when I've not got one I'm breaking my neck to find one .

The Hulk is a very nice watch and probably a lot more wearable for things and everyday life than the 1016 ,but the 1016 has tons of charm and character and is one of my favourite pieces .

For me I'd sell the Hulk but then that's me and my lifestyle ,but one thing you'd probably have to form an orderly queue if you do decide to sell the 1016.

I'd keep the hulk as I just love the overall look of it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    What you like Lewis? I'd keep the green ,the other watch although nice (wife has a tudor ranger thats similar) for me its too small.But hey in the end its your decision .If I had the money I'd take it back no problem
    I think you should buy it back Peter, I think it'd suit you better than that boring black Sub you've got :-)

the fact that you have the dilemma suggest that the Explorer is not a "must keep" irrespective of birth year / rarity etc etc

once you are willing to let it go ..... well I would keep the LV as its just a far more interesting watch in my eyes and suits you well.

Journeyman
    Sell the LV, keep the Explorer.

My apologies Lewis for saying this but you are somewhat challenged in the wrist department and quite a few of your watches (I remember a photo your IWC perpetual calendar on your wrist) looked like you were wearing your dads watch. Of the two photos you have posted the Explorer works best on your wrist and as others and yourself have admitted is difficult if not impossible to replace. The LV can easily be replaced. So my vote is ditch the LV, keep the Explorer and start wearing it!

Master
    I can't be arsed with vintage so went for the hulk.

Rolex; one stays, one goes. Which?

Personally, I don't get the whole birth year watch thing. Unless it was bought by a family member and worn before handing on to you. Otherwise, to me at least, it's just another vintage watch.
    Coupled with the fact you never wear it, I'd let it go. The Hulk is a cracker and tough enough, and good looking enough, for any occasion and you wear it. And I actually really covet an Explorer.

Hulk looks awesome id,keep it.

Tough decision (but a nice dilemma to have)!

The hulk is much more practical and has all the modern Rolex tech inside.

However the 1016 has great patina, vintage charm and a perfect size so that would be my choice.

Well I wore the LV to work today to get it ready for selling; however, it's just too good a watch to part with right now and my collection needs it. I will keep it for as long as I can, judging by the stack of PMs in my inbox, it won't be hard to sell if and when the time comes in a few weeks / months. In the meantime I'll search for an LB at the right price (SC has had a couple) and I'll consider trading or selling for that.

Looking around at dealer prices for the 1016, I'd be a fool to sell it now, the prices are going through the roof for good ones and yesterday made me realise what a lovely wearable piece of vintage it is - a stone-cold classic watch. It's recently RSC serviced so fully sealed and tested and I just need to get on with wearing it when I feel like it and not worrying (not that I ever did). It was designed for climbing mountains and whatever life could throw at it so I just need to get it worn.

A snap of the pair of them right now;

Naturally I reserve the right to sell them both at the drop of a hat and buy something completely random and unexpected. As that is how this hobby works :)
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 10th February 2016 at 13:00.

[...]It's recently RSC serviced so fully sealed and tested and I just need to get on with wearing it when I feel like it and not worrying (not that IO ever did). It was designed for climbing mountains and whatever life could throw at it so I just need to get it worn.[...]
    Cheers to that; no need to baby the plexi stuff:

But I like modern too. If it were me, I'd move something non-Rolex instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    If it were me, I'd move something non-Rolex instead.
    No choice at the moment I'm afraid.

Voted to keep the Hulk, purely as you have a vintage incoming... so you would have one something from new and old... other than that they both are keepers

Wow, the first time i have ever seen a 1016 and a 14270 side by side, thank you very much for that. The 1016 seems so much bigger, I'm glad i went for the newer model now.

As for the OP's dilemma, i know which way i voted, but good luck with your decision. Tough choice indeed ;)

I'd vote that you sell the LV ............. to me...........at a very reasonable price which can then be mostly funded by selling my SD here on TZ UK.

I will no doubt get bored of the green within 12 months and then you can buy it back again at a very reasonable price.

I can then put that money towards the blue dialed Yachtmaster I can't quite afford yet.

The mind of a WIS.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Wow, the first time i have ever seen a 1016 and a 14270 side by side, thank you very much for that. The 1016 seems so much bigger
    A surprise isn't it - all 36mm watches are not the same...

Craftsman
    I'd be inclined to let the Hulk go as it'll be easier to replace and the 1016 looks great on your wrist.

Master
    Do you wear the Hulk with just about any shirt, or do you restrict it to certain colours? I had the Steinhart homage to the Hulk and ended up rarely wearing it. In your place I would keep the explorer because it can be worn with just about anything, and also because I'm simply not a 'bright colour' person.

Rob

Journeyman
    I'd keep the Explorer (although in an ideal world both would be great!). This watch collecting seems to be riddled with 'problems' from the threads like this that I have seen, albeit pleasant problems to have :)

A handsome vintage pair of Explorers. The 1655 is the vintage watch I have always wanted but couldn't stomach the price. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and the fact this came from Marcj (M&J Watches) made the deal that much sweeter - he's one of the very best!

So it's the LV to go when the money is needed, but not yet - it might stick around for a few weeks or even months.

Apprentice
    Keep the hulk, why would you need two explorers :P

So it's the LV to go when the money is needed, but not yet - it might stick around for a few weeks or even months.
    The right decision I feel.

A handsome vintage pair of Explorers. The 1655 is the vintage watch I have always wanted but couldn't stomach the price. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and the fact this came from Marcj (M&J Watches) made the deal that much sweeter - he's one of the very best!

As the great Babs Windsor once said "What a lovely pair!"

For what it's worth, I'd try to keep all three and shift something else.

Voted for 1016.

I must get an LV,

I keep thinking that, but keep forgetting to do it.i love the Green

Craftsman

Great pair.
    And the right call in my opinion!

Craftsman
    As a connoisseur of awful and tasteless watches I'd say get rid of that green thing. It's hideous.

Journeyman
    get rid of hulk!,

I'd keep the hulk over the explorer all day long

Quote Originally Posted by Nickshangs View Post
    I'd keep the hulk over the explorer all day long
    Both are long gone anyway :)

Craftsman
    Still wearing the 1655 much?

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Still wearing the 1655 much?
    Also gone. Vintage is not for me I have re-discovered.