closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega SMPs are great.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    That's actually the strap intended for PO 42mm with deployant clasp.
    Thank you

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    No no no no no! Black rubber if you really have to but why not stick to the bracelet. (All IMO of course as everyone is free to wear whatever they want)
    The bracelets do not have fine adjustment (except the mesh) and many on here complain they can't get a decent fit with the bracelet.

The Omega rubber - was £100 in 2012, seems more now - is great. Curved ends and plenty of adjustment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    This thread is doing my head in... I've been through loads of different SMP's and got rid of my last one before Christmas (blue ceramic one). Thought I'd moved on but find myself looking again. Always wanted the GMT (great white or black dial) and never owned one yet and the blue 2255/2265 are catching my eye again now. Might have to change my plans yet again!!
    The GMT costs 1/3 to 1/4 of the equivalent Rolex with nicer hands and a less iconic bezel. Honestly, what's not to like?

I agree they are great watches. I've owned the SMP in 2531, 2254, and 2264 guises. The SMPs wear really well, pretty much a perfect size and height for me, and due to the curved lugs hug the wrist.

Unfortunately I've never had a good fit with either the Bond or Speedmaster bracelets, even with half links in various positions, with the result that the watch slides around a lot.

Is the new bracelet on the SMPC a better fit with more fine adjustment or not? Has anyone had a better fit with the SMPC than the old SMP?

In fact the fully brushed bond bracelet on the Great white is special. Looks like Rolex 904 steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    I agree they are great watches. I've owned the SMP in 2531, 2254, and 2264 guises. The SMPs wear really well, pretty much a perfect size and height for me, and due to the curved lugs hug the wrist.

Unfortunately I've never had a good fit with either the Bond or Speedmaster bracelets, even with half links in various positions, with the result that the watch slides around a lot.

Is the new bracelet on the SMPC a better fit with more fine adjustment or not? Has anyone had a better fit with the SMPC than the old SMP?
    I didn't find the SMPc bracelet any different in fit to the earlier version, however it fits me fine so I never had an issue. I do actually prefer the earlier bracelet though as I found the slightly thinner links more comfortable, though much more of a pain to size of course!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winster View Post
    In fact the fully brushed bond bracelet on the Great white is special. Looks like Rolex 904 steel.

A fine example of GW... either on bracelet or that orange strap any day...

Master
    Blog Entries

This is the Speedy bracelet not the Bond

My bad meant to say speedy not bond.

Master
    Blog Entries
    On my GMT I got a better fit with the screwed Bond (from SMPC I think, bought it from SC) than the pinned Speedy it came on. That may be because I more spent time swapping links around as easier to do so with screws than pins.

Master
    I love my SMP 300 quartz and find the bond bracelet one of the comfiest of all.

Master
    Love the SMP, although I'm not sure about this new limited edition version! Maybe if they had stuck with the standard ceramic bezel insert. Also, why are they making 3016 and not 2016?!:

http://oceanictime.blogspot.co.uk/20...-rio-2016.html

Last edited by Binsull; 4th May 2016 at 09:45.

I think it is 2016. Can only find the Bullhead and MKII on the Omega site.

I love Rio and the watch is quite funky. Wouldn't say no to one.

Master
    Ah yes, that makes more sense! Obviously just a mistake in the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    This is the Speedy bracelet not the Bond
    I think this is the 'standard' Seamaster bracelet - my Great White has the same.
    As far as I know, the 'Bond' bracelet is a fancier one, similar to the Rio one in the pictures above.

Master
    The bracelets do not have fine adjustment (except the mesh) and many on here complain they can't get a decent fit with the bracelet.
    Me for one. I also think the look is a bit dated. Maybe time to try the rubber...

Or perhaps the double ridged alligator from omega..

Craftsman
    Great pictures, must say the orange Iosfrane seems to work with both the blue and black SMP. Going to have to investigate getting one of these straps now.

I think the white on orange looks great!

Master
    I got my Seamaster today. Loving it so far. Nice to see Omega have improved those awful red boxes!

I have to admit, I like that ALOT!!!!

Craftsman
    I love mine but the bracelet is either just a tiny bit too snug or way too loose with an extra half link and it bangs against my wrist bone, I don't like the rubber options either. Why oh why doesn't the clasp have any sort of microadjustment!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I think this is the 'standard' Seamaster bracelet - my Great White has the same.
    As far as I know, the 'Bond' bracelet is a fancier one, similar to the Rio one in the pictures above.
    I came across more abrupt than I meant to

The standard one is also termed the Speedy, and tapers. The fancier one is the Bond and it doesn't taper.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesy B View Post
    Why oh why doesn't the clasp have any sort of microadjustment!
    Everyone says this and it's hard to disagree. There's always the Omega mesh which HAS micro adjustment, but not curved at the lugs.

Craftsman
    Everyone says this and it's hard to disagree. There's always the Omega mesh which HAS micro adjustment, but not curved at the lugs.
    I've tried all sorts of combinations (while marking up a couple of screws annoyingly - made from the softest cheese/metal alloy but I'll pop into a boutique and ask them nicely to replace them) and 97% of the time it's fine but there's days where I'm slightly 'puffy' for whatever reason and it feels a bit too snug. There's only been a couple of days that I took it off because it was uncomfortable, but if it gets worse over the summer I'll probably swap it for a Speedmaster on leather.
    Last edited by Janesy B; 4th May 2016 at 22:36.

Master
    I've tried all sorts of combinations (while marking up a couple of screws annoyingly - made from the softest cheese/metal alloy but I'll pop into a boutique and ask them nicely to replace them) and 97% of the time it's fine but there's days where I'm slightly 'puffy' for whatever reason and it feels a bit too snug. There's only been a couple of days that I took it off because it was uncomfortable, but if it gets worse over the summer I'll probably swap it for a Speedmaster on leather.

I open up a thread more than a month ago about this adjustable clasp from S300Mc fitted to PO 42mm 8500 but no one was interested, There's this clasp that works as well with the 45 PO and now it's been tested with Speedy 1610/930 Bracelet and PO 2500. Everything works as long as You know what part no. You need.

All this issue with changing half and full links are History now.

I open up a thread more than a month ago about this adjustable clasp from S300Mc fitted to PO 42mm 8500 but no one was interested, There's this clasp that works as well with the 45 PO and now it's been tested with Speedy 1610/930 Bracelet and PO 2500. Everything works as long as You know what part no. You need.

All this issue with changing half and full links are History now.
    Good to know - but at what price? Still much cheaper than a Sub option though
    It's just a matter of time...

The lack of micro adjustment has always put me off the SMPc. Do you think it would be possible to speak to your AD, order the SM300 adjustable clasp and have it fitted to the SMPc? As Omegamanic says - cheaper than a sub option!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rushroon View Post
    The lack of micro adjustment has always put me off the SMPc. Do you think it would be possible to speak to your AD, order the SM300 adjustable clasp and have it fitted to the SMPc? As Omegamanic says - cheaper than a sub option!

Definitely cheaper than sub options. For a full parts, clasp end links, screws and pins. Just under 165£ from OB.

Cheers - will check this out

Craftsman
    If you could get the SM300 clasp on a 1515/816 bracelet I would be a very happy man.

Master
    If you could get the SM300 clasp on a 1515/816 bracelet I would be a very happy man.
    There's about 4 to 5 thread about this conversion, from 2500 and 8500 PO to speed master prof. To speedy 1610 and also the chronograph PO. I'm not sure which one is Your bracelet Mate... If you're interested have a lurk at WUS and You will see everything with pictures and part no. Needed.

Master
    Definitely cheaper than sub options. For a full parts, clasp end links, screws and pins. Just under 165£ from OB.
    So I've got the ceramic SMP, love the watch but wish it had the micro adjustment... What do I need to order to add a micro adjust clasp?

I asked the AD similar yesterday but they said they didn't think it was possible...! If I could go in knowing exactly what I need then it'd be a big help!

Thanks!

Omega SMPs are great.

Loving the orange on the GW, might I enquire as to what brand the strap is?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    So I've got the ceramic SMP, love the watch but wish it had the micro adjustment... What do I need to order to add a micro adjust clasp?

I asked the AD similar yesterday but they said they didn't think it was possible...! If I could go in knowing exactly what I need then it'd be a big help!

Thanks!
    Working atm but will get back to You later tonight Mate...

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    Loving the orange on the GW, might I enquire as to what brand the strap is?
    That's taken of a planet ocean 2500. Ref 98000295. Older styled strap. New one is ref 98000378 made for PO 8500. Both fit on the Smp case but will need you to bend the bar slightly to push it into the lug hole. The OEM bars are thick and will not bend so got to use those thinner types.

Great, thanks for the info.

I came across more abrupt than I meant to

The standard one is also termed the Speedy, and tapers. The fancier one is the Bond and it doesn't taper.
    I'm not looking to start an argument but since when has the Seamaster bracelet, with "Seamaster" on the clasp, been called a Speedy bracelet?

Master
    I'm not looking to start an argument but since when has the Seamaster bracelet, with "Seamaster" on the clasp, been called a Speedy bracelet?
    I think they associate it more to speedy style since it does look exactly the same as the speedy bracelet. I'm referring to the 1610/930 which look the same as speedy but fitted to Seamaster.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I picked the term up and thought it made sense, seeing as it is the same style as the Speedmaster gets. The Bond, AFAIK, is Seamaster only. Comparing "Bond vs Speedy" makes more sense to me than "Bond vs Seamaster". I won't argue that it is a definitive term, it seems less confusing to me but YMMV. I didn't coin it so am not offended.

At least the Omega mesh is unambiguous :-)

I picked the term up and thought it made sense, seeing as it is the same style as the Speedmaster gets. The Bond, AFAIK, is Seamaster only. Comparing "Bond vs Speedy" makes more sense to me than "Bond vs Seamaster". I won't argue that it is a definitive term, it seems less confusing to me but YMMV. I didn't coin it so am not offended.

Agreed.

its a 'Speedy' style bracelet - so I'd see the term Speedy
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Agreed.

its a 'Speedy' style bracelet - so I'd see the term Speedy
    So, by extension you would call a Seamaster chronograph a 'Speedy' style watch.......not!

Grand Master
    So, by extension you would call a Seamaster chronograph a 'Speedy' style watch.......not!
    What does Omega call it?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

They are great watches ,my chrono landed back from service today ..

Master
    Blog Entries
    No, I wouldn't. I don't think the extension is valid but, again, YMMV. If it makes you happy. Will consider using the expression "Speedy style" in future.

Master
    Since when they used a design of bracelet which is damned near the same as that fitted to the 3750.50. It is common to hear the two vastly different designs referred to as Speedy and Bond and makes for a clearer narrative than quoting the 7 digit part codes. Were you even aware that there were 2 totally different bracelets fitted to SMPs? If so it seems a picky point to make IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Since when they used a design of bracelet which is damned near the same as that fitted to the 3750.50. It is common to hear the two vastly different designs referred to as Speedy and Bond and makes for a clearer narrative than quoting the 7 digit part codes. Were you even aware that there were 2 totally different bracelets fitted to SMPs? If so it seems a picky point to make IMO.
    I'm not sure I follow your reasoning - the 3750.50 is relatively new and is preceded by a number of different models of Speedmaster and styles of bracelets....as well as a number of different Seamasters and bracelets.
    To answer your question, yes I am aware of the differences between 'Bond' Seamaster and a non-Bond Seamaster bracelets.
    As for "picky"; as I can be bothered to differentiate between Seamaster and Speedmaster bracelets, where clear differences exist, then so be it - I'm happy to be picky.

Master
    I'm not sure I follow your reasoning - the 3750.50 is relatively new and is preceded by a number of different models of Speedmaster and styles of bracelets....as well as a number of different Seamasters and bracelets.
    To answer your question, yes I am aware of the differences between 'Bond' Seamaster and a non-Bond Seamaster bracelets.
    As for "picky"; as I can be bothered to differentiate between Seamaster and Speedmaster bracelets, where clear differences exist, then so be it - I'm happy to be picky.
    Do I need to spell it out? Clearly. When the sword hands SMP models were introduced around 1998-2000 a new design of bracelet was used on some of these variants. In addition, the new dial variants were sometimes seen with the existing bracelet, particularly in foreign markets such as USA. Since the newly introduced style of bracelet looked very similar to that which had been used on the Speedmaster Pro since 1997 (the 3570.50 intro) it was natural for people on forums such as Chronocentric etc to differentiate between the two types of Seamaster bracelet to prevent confusion. I agree by the way that the actual Speedmaster and Seamaster bracelets are not the same since they have different clasps etc but superficially they look similar. If you aren't happy with people using the terminology then so be it but they have done so for around 18 years now and are likely not going to stop any time soon.
    Last edited by Padders; 8th May 2016 at 00:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Do I need to spell it out? Clearly. When the sword hands SMP models were introduced around 1998-2000 a new design of bracelet was used on some of these variants. In addition, the new dial variants were sometimes seen with the existing bracelet, particularly in foreign markets such as USA. Since the newly introduced style of bracelet looked very similar to that which had been used on the Speedmaster Pro since 1997 (the 3570.50 intro) it was natural for people on forums such as Chronocentric etc to differentiate between the two types of Seamaster bracelet to prevent confusion. I agree by the way that the actual Speedmaster and Seamaster bracelets are not the same since they have different clasps etc but superficially they look similar. If you aren't happy with people using the terminology then so be it but they have done so for around 18 years now and are likely not going to stop any time soon.
    Couldn't have explained better. In fact those early GMT models came with a bond bracelet with a clasp with a gold plated one logo.

Back to the topic anyways..the SMP.