closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Servicing recommendation please

Apprentice

Servicing recommendation please

Hello all, I'm new on here, based in the UK (West Yorkshire) and have liked a nice watch for 20 odd years - though am very much of the 'fit and forget' school of thought rather than a constant chopper and changer. I have searched for recommended repairers on this site and haven't found anything (Breitling aside) so I registered initially to get some recommendations for watch repairers who both charge reasonable money and are skilled and experienced. We have three watches all needing attention, I don't want to send them to the manufacturers because they cost too much and take too long. The watches are:

• Stainless steel Rolex Datejust automatic (1988). This has stopped. I can’t remember why but it was probably 3-4 years ago now. Probably just needs a proper service
    • Gold Omega manual wind. This is a late 1960s dress watch, it has Geneve on the face so probably is one. It has a broken crown and also needs a service. Belonged to my wife's granddad so has sentimental value too
    • Steel and Rose Gold Jaeger le Coulture 1956 bumper automatic. Running slow and kept stopping too. Was serviced about 6/7 years ago, probably the most demanding job of the three (and the most interesting watch) so I guess would need someone who knows this kind of mechanism, or brand, or both?

I would welcome some steers towards competent repairers for one or all of the above. Unless repairers are local (eg Leeds/Manchester etc) I am expecting to get this done via secure post and use a UK based firm which shares my interest in getting the watches working and looking good but not restored to showroom standard, the JLC in particular has a 'lived in' face which suits it very well.

Also, what should I be looking for? Does a service necessarily involve bit by bit dismantling, cleaning and then reassembly of all of the parts? All 3 of the above would need a bit of TLC and perhaps the full treatment. Looking at servicing the Omega I have had quotes of £200-£450 from 2 separate firms - are they actually quoting to do the same thing?

Excuse my ignorance for I know little of what goes on inside these little wonders. I look forward to your views and to visiting the site in future.
    Last edited by Alvarado; 9th May 2016 at 16:50.

Apprentice
    I have recently had my 1966 Omega Constellation serviced by Brendan (webwatchmaker) and can thoroughly recommend him, turn around was in the region of 7-10 days.
    Price wise it would depend which parts need replacing and also if you needed the cases polishing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm a big advocate of Duncan's work and his website shows some very interesting jobs he's done. Top bloke and goes by the name of cannop on this forum.

https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/
    Last edited by Schofie; 9th May 2016 at 18:50.

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 20:05.

I've used RyteTime for years. http://www.rytetimewatchrepairs.co.uk/

Great service and reasonable prices. Got an omega being serviced by him at the moment.

I'd recommend Bill Rice (Rolex accredited and worked on a few different brands for me) East Yorksire so fairly local and reasonable price wise.

http://www.williamricewatches.com

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drpauljones View Post
    I've used RyteTime for years. http://www.rytetimewatchrepairs.co.uk/

Great service and reasonable prices. Got an omega being serviced by him at the moment.
    I used Steve at RyteTime the other week for some Omega work - I'd recommend him ... he was a lot cheaper than some of the others mentioned on this thread.
    Best call him .. he's not that quick on emails.

Journeyman
    I've used Richard Askham in the past and always been pleased with his work and prices

http://thewatchspotblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by POGraham View Post
    I have recently had my 1966 Omega Constellation serviced by Brendan (webwatchmaker) and can thoroughly recommend him, turn around was in the region of 7-10 days.
    Price wise it would depend which parts need replacing and also if you needed the cases polishing as well.
    With regard to the JLC, Brendan is the natural choice, he's an ex-JLC man.

Otherwise Bill Rice is Rolex accredited.

The Omega, anyone mentioned previously would be entirely trustworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by IanV View Post
    I've used Richard Askham in the past and always been pleased with his work and prices

http://thewatchspotblog.com/
    I can second this.

Anyone know of any that are taking work in, most recommendations here seem not to be. My Omega PO crown now doesn't screw in and looking for a repair. Any recommendations please.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    Anyone know of any that are taking work in, most recommendations here seem not to be. My Omega PO crown now doesn't screw in and looking for a repair. Any recommendations please.

did you try Brendan? Http://www.webwatchmaker.com Also on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    did you try Brendan? Http://www.webwatchmaker.com Also on this forum.
    No , I will now though . Thank you for assistance.