closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Short term watch insurance

Short term watch insurance

hey all, Does anyone have any recommendations for short term watch insurance? I've found myself in an odd situation between two insurance policies and I can't add the watch to my contents for the next 3 weeks or so. It's a Daytona, so want to cover it for £8k until 6th June, any ideas? :)
    Last edited by therossatron; 13th May 2016 at 15:41.

Just don't lose it?

Seriously.

And if someone breaks into the house should I just ask them not to steal it?

Craftsman
    Others may think differently but for the sake of 3 weeks I'd hedge my bets and do without insurance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by therossatron View Post
    hey all, Does anyone have any recommendations for short term watch insurance? I've found myself in an odd situation between two insurance policies and I can't add the watch to my contents for the next 3 weeks or so. It's a Daytona, so want to cover it for £8k until 6th June, any ideas? :)
    Just wear the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    Others may think differently but for the sake of 3 weeks I'd hedge my bets and do without insurance.
    Yeah, well this is the backup plan. I just thought there may be some others who had done similar.

As to "just wear the thing etc." that's great until you live a normal life, go to a gym, work on a car, get mugged in the street etc. Also I wear other watches and wanted to keep this as more of a special occasion thing.

Use the Christopher Walken method.

Sent from the top of a hill using semaphore.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post

Nobody would want to touch it after that so might be a good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post

Ha ha

Master
    Yeah, well this is the backup plan. I just thought there may be some others who had done similar.

As to "just wear the thing etc." that's great until you live a normal life, go to a gym, work on a car, get mugged in the street etc. Also I wear other watches and wanted to keep this as more of a special occasion thing.
    With that list of when not to wear it, what's the point in owning it?
    I mean it's just a watch

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    With that list of when not to wear it, what's the point in owning it?
    I mean it's just a watch
    so if it's not permanently attached to my body there is no point in owning it? Should I wear every watch I have at all times?

If you are really worried you could always take it to a jewellers for a valuation and leave it with them for 6 weeks - or have them estimate for some work if don't want to pay for a valuation?

Or on a similar theme leave it with the Saturday girl for a battery change and not pick it up for 6 weeks ?

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If you are really worried you could always take it to a jewellers for a valuation and leave it with them for 6 weeks - or have them estimate for some work if don't want to pay for a valuation?

Or on a similar theme leave it with the Saturday girl for a battery change and not pick it up for 6 weeks ?
    Not overly worried just thought for £20-30 or whatever for a few weeks would give me a bit of piece of mind especially as its all mid house move and I have enough to think about just now... but that is a decent idea :)

£20 or £30 might be a bit optimistic, no insurer in their right mind would do it for that.

I say wear it or put it in a safety deposit box with Metro Bank.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    £20 or £30 might be a bit optimistic, no insurer in their right mind would do it for that.

I say wear it or put it in a safety deposit box with Metro Bank.
    I was just scaling my contents insurance in my mind, but you may be right. I'll just wear it and maybe hit it with a hammer or something to keep nunya happy.

Master
    I was just scaling my contents insurance in my mind, but you may be right. I'll just wear it and maybe hit it with a hammer or something to keep nunya happy.
    Why would I be happy with wanton destruction?
    Odd thing to say

Banned
    No, take it out into some woods. Be 100% sure that you are not being observed. Place the watch in an airtight box with silica gel. Bury the watch. Eliminate all signs of the excavation. Carefully note the location. Photos and GPS coordinates are recommended. Then you can return for your watch any time you like and you do not need any insurance.

You are sooo amusing...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If you are really worried you could always take it to a jewellers for a valuation and leave it with them for 6 weeks
    This might be your best bet if you are worried. Drop it off, tell them you are in no rush. Pick it up in 6 weeks. Use the new valuation when you reinsure.

I didn't realise you guys didn't insure your watches. I must be crazy.

Master
    Safety deposit box, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    Do you mean one those things Jason Bourne puts all his spare passports and stuff in?

Grand Master
    And if someone breaks into the house should I just ask them not to steal it?
    No, hide the watch away in your loft somewhere and forget about it till the new insurance kicks in.

Paul

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    Yes, but it must also contain large amounts of various currencies, credit cards, passports of several countries and a loaded pistol.

Master
    If you own an 8K watch, don't you have a safe at home that you can stash it between policies or at the very least a very safe place to put it?

Failing that then as already suggested a jewllers for valuation or safety deposit box.

Master

Short term watch insurance

Do you mean one those things Jason Bourne puts all his spare passports and stuff in?
    Aye that's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Yes, but it must also contain large amounts of various currencies, credit cards, passports of several countries and a loaded pistol.

Yup, that too. Not sure about el pistolo myself but I guess a leatherman or one a them there fancy lock-knives could substitute. I see your man above has also taken care to include some contact lenses, so perhaps a first aid kit and small convenient toiletries bag could be useful too, should a fast getaway be needed. And some clean pants.