closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looks like the Ceramic Basel 2016 Daytonas are starting to filter through...

Master

Looks like the Ceramic Basel 2016 Daytonas are starting to filter through...

I've just seen one for sale on a Facebook Rolex page with a black dial. The seller is asking 16,000USD and says the Dealer won't allow it to leave the shop with stickers intact.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    the Dealer won't allow it to leave the shop with stickers intact.
    Wtf!?
    If you buy new watch with the stickers, you should have the right to take it out of the shop intact.
    Surely this must be illegal in some way?

If they want to sell it without stickers then they should remove them before the sale, but that of course might diminish desirability. If they sell it with them on then they should have no right to remove them after. It becomes yours when the money changes hands, it would be interesting to see how they would enforce this point of view.

Is the seller the dealer or someone trying to sell their watch allocation?

Not fully sure as its in the US but I thought that AD's couldn't sell above MRSP but I have seen them on certain models request customer to remove stickers before leaving the store, I guess in a bid to reduce the chance of profit buyers looking to sell thier allocation on immediately after collection for a profit!

I'm sure most of this is nothing more than urban myth. I'm hoping to get mine in June (if not it'll be next year, sadly, as it'll mean the two before me have both taken up the option) and I wouldn't dream of letting anyone tamper with it.

I don't even let AD's size my watches.

But as I plan on keeping the 116500 if an AD said they would require me to remove stickers I'd have no issues and just size it and de sticker there and then, no real issue as I don't plan to wear the watch with stickers on :)

I'm third on a list too .... so many rumours, so little known (stickers [that's a new one, but not beyond the realms of possibility], allocation [I was told the AD would be getting half as many ceramic Daytonas allocated compared to the previous model], when the first are expected here in the UK [June earliest report here, my AD though September] etc. etc.) ...... in some ways I like the wait, as it adds to the pleasure for me, but it does fuel the rumour mill which is frustrating ..... however, have been holding off for a few years now in the hope the stainless steel ceramic version would come eventually, so I guess a bit more won't hurst (much!) .....
    Last edited by mantaray; 14th May 2016 at 13:57.

Master

This is the image shown. I wondered if there was a new model number, and this confirms it if real.

In regards to the stickers, I had this once. A dealer offered me a discount and I accepted the price. Paid for the watch and suddenly he starts removing the stickers. I told him to stop as I wanted to keep them but he insisted that's the only way the watch could be discounted. He didn't want me selling it on the internet as brand new and was terrified of Rolex etc.

I think it's crazy how much control Rolex have over their dealers. Dealers who often state "how little" they make on Rolex watches compared to other brands. It's all such pretentious c**p IMO.

Craftsman
    If you check the Rolexforums then you'll see that theres a few been sold in the USA for over a week now. Last I heard for the UK is that there are 6 here and they haven't been assigned to the dealers yet, so should start trickling to the dealers soon hopefully.

This is the image shown. I wondered if there was a new model number, and this confirms it if real.

In regards to the stickers, I had this once. A dealer offered me a discount and I accepted the price. Paid for the watch and suddenly he starts removing the stickers. I told him to stop as I wanted to keep them but he insisted that's the only way the watch could be discounted. He didn't want me selling it on the internet as brand new and was terrified of Rolex etc.

I think it's crazy how much control Rolex have over their dealers. Dealers who often state "how little" they make on Rolex watches compared to other brands. It's all such pretentious c**p IMO.
    Crazy, it should have nothing to do with them what you do with it after you bought it. Brand protection manipulation going too far in my opinion.
    If they don't want the stickers on the watch they should sell them without. ( of course this might possibly devalue the watch, but they started it. )

Master
    Bear in mind that forum people are only a tiny fraction of the Rolex customer base. Quite a few people could get these watches without the forums knowing anything about it. What does seem to be true is that favoured dealers get the first pick. I assume that means dealers who sell the most.
    Some of these early samples get grabbed by people in the trade, and that's how they suddenly appear at 'grey' sites with big mark-ups. Still, it's a mass produced watch in the end, with a bit of patience everyone will get one. Time passes.....

I was shown the RRP price list with what the AD buy them at from Rolex once, not sure if I was ment to have seen this so I did not comment at the time, but they do make some money on them. ;)

I was enquiring on a watch I had seen was coming out, I think it was the 39mm oyster and I knew the chap, so asked the price and he showed me their list.

I do not own a Rolex or have ever owned one, I like them, they are nice watches and was looking to get my wife one as a special gift at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Still, it's a mass produced watch in the end, with a bit of patience everyone will get one.
    Agreed, but ADs are partly responsible for creating the hype. I was asking one about the Baselworld premiered Omega Speedmaster Co-axial moon phase and after a sharp intake of breath they gave me the 'put a deposit down in order to guarantee being one of the first' speech.

Do you think an AD will ever tell you not to panic - you will get one eventually.

Is that the pic of the one for sale?

I can get one in mid June through my F1 contacts, however I have a slight dilemma... Someone I know (who knows I can get hold of one) has offered me double its RRP if I would be interested to sell it on... I could in theory sell it to him and wait to get another one from an AD literary for free (from the profit) but it would mean to wait for my own who knows how long and I'm not quite comfortable with the ethics of this situation... it's a lot of money that could go towards other things/save especially that I will have to sell another watch to partially fund this, hence the dilemma....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I can get one in mid June through my F1 contacts, however I have a slight dilemma... Someone I know (who knows I can get hold of one) has offered me double its RRP if I would be interested to sell it on... I could in theory sell it to him and wait to get another one from an AD literary for free (from the profit) but it would mean to wait for my own who knows how long and I'm not quite comfortable with the ethics of this situation... it's a lot of money that could go towards other things/save especially that I will have to sell another watch to partially fund this, hence the dilemma....
    Not much of a dilemma IMO...

Quite.Its just a watch, take the money.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Quite.Its just a watch, take the money.
    I know its just a watch, its more about calling in a favour from my contacts to actually get hold of one and then to sell it on for a quick profit. Feels wrong.

Will your contact feel used if you flip the watch- will this damage future options.
    How much is that worth to you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Will your contact feel used if you flip the watch- will this damage future options.
    How much is that worth to you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    General decency is always worth to me more than any money.. my contact would probably never find out if I flipped it or not, especially if I get another one in its place a few months later. But it just still feels wrong...
    Last edited by silly; 14th May 2016 at 18:20.

General decency is always worth to me more than any money.. my contact would probably never find out if I flipped it or not, especially if I get another one in its place a few months later. But it just still feels wrong...
    Agreed .... plus I suspect that, unless you are already on and well up an AD's list, you will (if everything is to be believed) unlikely to be getting another one in its place "a few months later" increasingly the likelihood of being found out ....

I think it would be "bad form" to sell the watch on........you know that though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    I think it would be "bad form" to sell the watch on........you know that though.
    Disagree and before you flame me, I’m an advocate for passing on great deals on this forum, but this is a retail purchase.

Unless you are a prolific collector, who relies on the AD for multiple purchases a year, I’d flog it on in an instant for double the price.

Master
    Giving a customer priority is nothing but a business decision. There is no indecency into selling it on for a profit. We are not in PP minute repeater territory here. My AD is more than happy if I sell on for a profit, it means I have liquidity and more funds to buy more. If you are buying from the forum or a mate is entirely a different story...

Slightly off topic - but speaking of the new models I saw the new 39mm airking in the window of Mappin and Webb in Bluewater today.

That bezel look quite vulnerable with what looks like an overhang.

Sent from the top of a hill using semaphore.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

'Ceramic Basel'
    Is that a mistake or a play on words?

Is it Manuel wind or Fawlty?

Grand Master
    If this watch didn`t have Rolex on the dial would anyone be interested?.........

Struggling to see how folks can find a watch they've not seen in the flesh so desirable.

Paul

Yes. If it can be sold for 100% mark up of course they would.

Tried both colours on in WOS Regent Street today - absolutely stunning

they are in dealers now ive been told but will goto preferred clients first ,

ie rich folk who spend a lot with these shops and who don't need to flip them for a grand or two profit ,

ill hopefully get mines end of the yr maybe next yr ,

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Tried both colours on in WOS Regent Street today - absolutely stunning
    Which one did you prefer Tony? Any pics? Very much the white dial for me, but I have yet to see either with my own eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Which one did you prefer Tony? Any pics? Very much the white dial for me, but I have yet to see either with my own eyes...
    No pics I'm afraid, John. I preferred (and have my name down for) the white dial, but I have to say that the black dial looked far, far better in this iteration than I've found it previously. I'd happily own and wear either of them.