closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Holiday 2016

Summer Holiday 2016

I think there was a thread last year, so thought I'd start one this year for a bit of a feel good factor.

Interested to see where the TZ-UKers are off this summer, and hopefully give me some inspiration for next year.

I'll start. We got an 11 night US road trip in August (family of 4), starting/returning to Denver, and taking in such sights as Yellowstone and Badlands NPs. Would like to get as far as Glacier NP but fear that may be to far given the time available.

5 nights in Chicago, then fly to LA to drive down to San Diego for 10 nights.

Using SD as a base primarily, will do quite a lot of driving.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    5 nights in Chicago
    Absolutely love Chicago in the summer. Nearly 20 years ago my job took me there and I lived there for while in an apartment, 42 floors up overlooking Lake Michigan. I'd love to spend time there again.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Absolutely love Chicago in the summer. Nearly 20 years ago my job took me there and I lived there for while in an apartment, 42 floors up overlooking Lake Michigan. I'd love to spend time there again.
    Been on my to do list for many a year. Can't wait. Good to hear

Master
    This year the Azores to make up for last year five week loop from Chicago down Route 66 to Arizona then veered off for Las Vegas then Zion, Bryce, Arches and a few others before up to Boulder C. Then North to S. Dakota Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse memorial, Custer State Park, the Badlands then back to Chicago. Fabbo!

Nothing fancy for me, 4nights in Wales in July then 1 week in Salou in August. Oh and another 7 weeks in Holland...

Heading off to a wedding out at my dad's place near Poitiers and then gonna drive over Anglesey for some hiking with friends. Gonna try and squeeze some relaxing in as well at some point but not sure where...Dalmatian Coast maybe.

Lake Michigan in the summer is great, you cannot fail to have a good time. If you get a chance to visit some of the wineries then I would heartily recommend them!

http://miwinetrail.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 weeks in Lyme Regis again for us in August. Fossil hunting .....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Bendigits View Post
    Lake Michigan in the summer is great
    I'm with you on that. We loved Door County. About a 3.5 hour drive north of Chicago IIRC.

http://www.doorcounty.com/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    2 weeks in Lyme Regis again for us in August. Fossil hunting .....
    And I'm just along the way from Jason in Charmouth.
    My pockets can't stretch to a Lyme Regis budget ;)

2 weeks in our camper van at the end of June

Heading off to Devon and then wherever the mood takes us

Mid July, 2 weeks in Costa Rica :-)

Just booked 10 days on Kuramathi in the Maldives. Can't wait.

Apprentice
    Off to Florida in a couple of weeks, staying in a Disney hotel !

Can anyone tell me if a day trip to Miami would be worth squeezing in ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    8 nights in a hopefully sunny and hot Madrid in a few weeks time, and then hopefully Lanzarote later in the year when the nights start drawing in.

Craftsman
    tavira, algarve....our usual haunt....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    And I'm just along the way from Jason in Charmouth.
    My pockets can't stretch to a Lyme Regis budget ;)
    This time Dave, we will have that beer.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Making the Le Mans trip this year a bit longer than normal, having a night in Granville, then Angers, then Chinon on the way down, do the race and then Falaise on the way back up to the boat.

1 week in July in Portugal, Cascais

Will be away to a couple of horse events over the summer which are a few days away and mighty craic.

Craftsman
    Just back from 3 days in Madrid (where it rained non stop). Off to Ibiza in August to, hopefully, a nice quiet resort in the south east. Never been to Ibiza and a little bit anxious (I am 50) but hoping it will be ok.

Off to Crete June 5 th for a week , the sensatori on Lyttos beach .

Master
    A trip to Blackpool with the family
    Southport and Germany on a working holiday.

Master
    Isles of Scilly in August for two weeks, will be the thirteenth time and never tire
    of the place. Beautiful sub tropical islands and 28 miles from Lands End. Utopia
    in the UK. Anyone else here been ?

Quote Originally Posted by pcworks View Post
    later in the year when the nights start drawing in.
    The nights start drawing in in 4 weeks time :D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Isles of Scilly in August for two weeks, will be the thirteenth time and never tire
    of the place. Beautiful sub tropical islands and 28 miles from Lands End. Utopia
    in the UK. Anyone else here been ?
    Yes about 25 years ago. Stayed in the Island Hotel on Tresco but unfortunately it's no longer a hotel - pity as the food was fab.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by POGraham View Post
    Off to Florida in a couple of weeks, staying in a Disney hotel !

Can anyone tell me if a day trip to Miami would be worth squeezing in ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    it's an almost 470 mile round trip and even using the Turnpike is probably getting on for 3.5 - 4 hours each way. So either no or you'd want to stay over.

Blog Entries
    Two weeks in a northern province of The Netherlands: Friesland. Sailing: one week trying to learn people the fine art of sailing. The second week as coach/sandwich maker/dinghy repair guy for my son who will be attending Europe's largest inshore sailing regatta: the Sneekweek.

My wife and youngest son are off to Iceland and New York during that period.

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Just booked 10 days on Kuramathi in the Maldives. Can't wait.
    Make sure you watch the crazy 'Stingray' show, that guy is nuts. Also don't bother with shoes, the entire island is sand so it's barefoot all the way. Enjoy! (Even more so if you dive)

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Two weeks in a northern province of The Netherlands: Friesland.
    Coincidentally I travelled there just last weekend and stayed in Sneek, what a nice area it is.

A week on Brownsea Island

A week in the Lakes

Both National Trust rental properties

Nothing beats the UK if the weather is on form and the location is right!

Master
    Two weeks skiing on Hampstead Heath once the weather improves.

Craftsman
    Two weeks in a northern province of The Netherlands: Friesland. Sailing: one week trying to learn people the fine art of sailing. The second week as coach/sandwich maker/dinghy repair guy for my son who will be attending Europe's largest inshore sailing regatta: the Sneekweek.

My wife and youngest son are off to Iceland and New York during that period.

Menno
    My mum's father was from Friesland, Harlingen to be precise. He was a naughty Dutch sea captain, after WWII, he had a family in Holland and family in Hull. He would sail his ship between the 2 families. I should have a holiday there sometime and go and see the other family.

Enjoy your sailing, sounds great fun.

Craftsman
    This year its a cruise of the Baltic Sea, more specifically Denmark, Germany, Lithuania, Latvia, Finland, St. Petersburg, and Sweden.

In fact, I am debating whether to buy a new watch, I have my eye on a Sturmanskie, or to wing it and buy one on the trip. The idea of bringing a new watch home is intriguing, but I fear that I will have to be extraordinarily lucky to come across the "right" one. It is probably much more practical to start off with a watch I like to begin with.

Grand Master
    Santorini for a week soon, then Kraków in August, and finally Sorrento in october😜
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Hoping to do Alaska in August for a week followed by an 18 day road trip from Seattle to LA.

Not sure if it will work out with timings this year though, so we might have to settle with Hawaii instead of Alaska!

Holidays are normally pretty bland for us, but we are splashing out this year...3 Nights Gaya Island, 3 Nights Borneo Rainforest, 2 Nights Kuala Lumpur, 3 Nights Singapore...cant wait :)

Snowwoman and I are going to the Azores in early September.

Having had a week's skiing and two weeks diving (just me, she went to Cambodia last year) in Indonesia in April, I was keen to spread the holidays out, so booked the Azores for after the school summer holidays (My children are both grown up - Well, too old for school!).

This turned out a good idea as my wife badly injured her knee skiing and is now needing another operation in June to free it up, although the break has healed - Hopefully she'll be up to some walking and whale watching by September!

I'm especially looking forward to some diving there (Sharks and Mantas being on my bucket list), should be a nice bookend to my year's diving that started in Indonesia.

I also have 4 weekend diving trips in the UK planned.

When the kids were young, we mostly went to France (Normandy/Brittany/Vendee/etc) or the UK (Cornwall/South Wales/etc), although we did go to Venice one year, via some friends in southern Germany and boating down the Shannon.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 23rd May 2016 at 10:14.

Master
    I have booked at trip to Italy in June and booked a villa from two different locations in Tuscany for two weeks. We've done this before, but enjoy the scenery and atmosphere so much that decided to do this (yet) again. Kids also like it a lot. I also have a 40-foot sailing boat rented for one week in July - it's the best season for exploring the Finnish archipelago. In October it will be the traditional cycling week (and it really is that!) with a few friends.

What's the midge situation like in Scandinavia over the summer

Always fancied Norway in the summer but have been worried about being eaten alive, you may of course be ok on a boat!

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I have booked at trip to Italy in June and booked a villa from two different locations in Tuscany for two weeks. We've done this before, but enjoy the scenery and atmosphere so much that decided to do this (yet) again. Kids also like it a lot. I also have a 40-foot sailing boat rented for one week in July - it's the best season for exploring the Finnish archipelago. In October it will be the traditional cycling week (and it really is that!) with a few friends.

Craftsman
    3 weeks honeymoon in Hawaii. Not a bad way to spend the time...

Blog Entries
    I also have a 40-foot sailing boat rented for one week in July - it's the best season for exploring the Finnish archipelago.
    Tell me more! We're always looking at Greece or Croatia for that and never thought about Finland! Not for this year, but perhaps for next year.

Menno

Master
    Tell me more! We're always looking at Greece or Croatia for that and never thought about Finland! Not for this year, but perhaps for next year.

Menno
    The archipelago in Finland is simply the most interesting place for sailing in Europe. There are so many islands of all sizes and so many different route options around them - it makes the sailing itself very interesting. Because of the island there are never super big waves, but the wind direction can change a lot during the say. There are also hundreds of small marinas where you can stop, offering different kinds of services, but they are not like the big city marinas in the Mediterrenian area. The island are very beautiful and quite different in landscape and vegetation depending on how close to the open sea they are. During summer you can also do night sailing in sunlight!-)

This is an example of a beautiful place in the more open waters: http://www.nationalparks.fi/archipel...es/jungfruskar - you can find many other national park destinations from this site as well.

Nauvo is closer to the mainland and an example of more busy place: http://naguhamn.fi/site/index.php/en/

Prices for renting a boat are more or less the same as in the Med. I've used this place, this year we will use the Dufour 405: http://www.midnightsunsailing.fi/index.php?lang=eng

Getting eaten alive is not that much of an issue in the archipelago, the sea and the wind keeps insects away.

Craftsman
    Xalo in Spain mid July then back to Qawra in Malta for the 2nd time.

Cycling Barcelona to Valencia along the coast with cycling mates mid-July. Get home on a Friday and the next day, after dropping the kids off with grandma, my wife and I drive to Provence for another cycling holiday week. We plan to cycle up Mount Ventoux amongst other things. Back at work for a week after that then off to our usual 2 weeks in the French Alps with the kids and dog. Will do some cycling there but nothing serious, family stuff. Mostly its all about hiking, swimming/spa, eating and drinking.

Devon with the missus and the hound again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    The archipelago in Finland is simply the most interesting place for sailing in Europe. There are so many islands of all sizes and so many different route options around them - it makes the sailing itself very interesting. Because of the island there are never super big waves, but the wind direction can change a lot during the say. There are also hundreds of small marinas where you can stop, offering different kinds of services, but they are not like the big city marinas in the Mediterrenian area. The island are very beautiful and quite different in landscape and vegetation depending on how close to the open sea they are. During summer you can also do night sailing in sunlight!-)

This is an example of a beautiful place in the more open waters: http://www.nationalparks.fi/archipel...es/jungfruskar - you can find many other national park destinations from this site as well.

Nauvo is closer to the mainland and an example of more busy place: http://naguhamn.fi/site/index.php/en/

Prices for renting a boat are more or less the same as in the Med. I've used this place, this year we will use the Dufour 405: http://www.midnightsunsailing.fi/index.php?lang=eng

Getting eaten alive is not that much of an issue in the archipelago, the sea and the wind keeps insects away.
    Thanks for that! Interesting destination, I can tell you. I've never been further east with a yacht than the Danish islands near Funen. More and more people with yachts from The Netherlands are heading east to Scandinavia, mostly using Sřnderborg (just over the German Denish border) as their base.

We will look into it!

Menno

Wales. Exotic eh?

Sent from the top of a hill using semaphore.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Two weeks in Amalfi

Taking our 15 year old Granddaughter to the US for her first time. Week in Boston area then drive to New York for the second week. Already booked Whale Watching, Yankees vs Red Sox at Yankee stadium and Les Mis on Broadwey, can't wait.

Then later in the Year, November, week in Las Vegas, I love Vegas

Master
    2 weeks in Tenerife in July and a week in NYC in August - both with the 2 girls - that's it...... For now

Master
    Wife & I are going to Paleocastritsa Corfu, last two years have been Kefalonia, which we love. Usual set-up, self-catering & hire a 125cc twist & go scooter to explore the island. Hoping to hire a small motor boat and find some nice deserted beaches with picnic.
    Off on the 12th July, can't come soon enough.