closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Diving Gear - Anyone help out??

Diving Gear - Anyone help out??

Hey Gang,

I tried the search but couldn't pull anything up.

Does anyone on here have a good dive shop that they use, the ones I've been trying take ages to get back to you and aren't much cop!

I'm thinking reg set, bcd, suit etc

cheers!

Journeyman
    Ocean Leisure have never let me down but I haven't used them for a few years now.
    http://oceanleisure.co.uk/

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Craftsman
    I tend to use underwaterworld at Stoney Cove, mostly when I'm diving there anyway.
    Might help if you had a part of the country in mind

Dave

Andark Diving near southampton are usually pretty good

Another vote for Mike's.

SimplyScuba is fine for online purchases.

You've missed the Dive Shows. Next one is October, from memory.

If you're a warm water diver, the other option is to purchase in the Caribbean, etc. Prices tend to be cheaper in USD (even with the current exchange rate). Asia varies as dive gear appears to attract some quite specific taxes, depending where you are.
    Last edited by Broussard; 3rd June 2016 at 08:40.

Quote Originally Posted by sticko View Post
    Ocean Leisure have never let me down but I haven't used them for a few years now.
    http://oceanleisure.co.uk/
    They always used to be great. I went in a little while ago to talk cameras and as usual they spent a lot of time with me, good advice even though I had made it clear I wasn't buying.
    If you can visit it is probably best, literally 2 min walk from Embankment tube (under the arches).

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    They always used to be great. I went in a little while ago to talk cameras and as usual they spent a lot of time with me, good advice even though I had made it clear I wasn't buying.
    If you can visit it is probably best, literally 2 min walk from Embankment tube (under the arches).
    They are, though VERY expensive, even by normal bricks and mortar dive shop standards, let alone online prices.

I usually pop in for a look if I have time, but I've never bought anything substantial there.

Probably worth a look for a wet (dry?) suit as, the former especially, needs to fit really well.

BCDs and Regs, buy online is my advice. Shops will TELL you they'll pick the best for you, but it in reality, they'll try and sell you the best for them!

The Andark and/or Stoney Cove shops are extremely well stocked - Worth a trip to either if you want to try lots of different stuff.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 3rd June 2016 at 11:07.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    ^ These guys are great, ask for Steve the manager. I did my DM course with Steve when he was at Tony Backhurst, lovely guy.^

Nice one lads!

The online buying of a wetsuit is a bit of a nightmare, i'm thinking about going to a few places in town tomorrow.

As a UK retailer, i'm trying to avoid buying from Europe, but even with the bad exchange the online guys seem to be cheaper over the canal.

I've emailed a few guys not mentioned here, and i've been astounded by the lack of response, they clearly dont want to sell anything!

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    Nice one lads!

The online buying of a wetsuit is a bit of a nightmare, i'm thinking about going to a few places in town tomorrow.

As a UK retailer, i'm trying to avoid buying from Europe, but even with the bad exchange the online guys seem to be cheaper over the canal.

I've emailed a few guys not mentioned here, and i've been astounded by the lack of response, they clearly dont want to sell anything!
    Where do you intend to dive, out of interest?

Nice one lads!

I buy wetsuits online, just buy the two sizes closest to what you think will fit, one will fit and send the other one back

I can recommend Fourth Element or if you want something really nice Pinnacle are my favourite make but hard to find in the UK.

If you're in the Tropics in 27 degree water or warmer look at a shorty, just so much easier to get on and off

What is it your looking for?

Just wetsuits or actual diving gear?

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    What is it your looking for?

Just wetsuits or actual diving gear?
    Both M8.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Where do you intend to dive, out of interest?
    Out in Majorca, then i've a few other trips booked/ planned later in the year, mainly Spain/ Gibraltar. I'm also looking at Mexico for next year at some point. I'm working on the principle of hiring BCD's and tanks, then having the rest of the gear. But if the stores can do a decent bundle then i'll maybe get the lot if the deal is good.

So far they just seem to be doing straight street on it. OR i'm way too generous with pricing on my gear that we sell.

Out in Majorca, then i've a few other trips booked/ planned later in the year, mainly Spain/ Gibraltar. I'm also looking at Mexico for next year at some point. I'm working on the principle of hiring BCD's and tanks, then having the rest of the gear. But if the stores can do a decent bundle then i'll maybe get the lot if the deal is good.

So far they just seem to be doing straight street on it. OR i'm way too generous with pricing on my gear that we sell.
    I would get your own BCD as well, just get a light travel one.

Hire gear can be dodgy and is usually used and abused, if the bladder bursts or inflator hose sticks on its no laughing matter and potentially fatal if you didn't react correctly.

Mask, fins and regs is a decent start. I rarely see decent bundles with the stuff I'd actually want to buy, but there are bargains around (well, some decent money off offers / freebies, etc). These usually correspond to the normal cycle of sales and the Dive Shows.

For regs, you're hardly cold water diving, so the world is your oyster. I went for Apeks Flight (replaced my previous Sherwood gear) based on the weight alone. Easy to take in carry-on too.

Given the range of water temps you might face, you may you best with a 2/3/5mm (5mm on the core with thinner weights on the arms / legs) suit and hire an extra layer if you need it. I used to dive in a shorty, but as my range has increased (I dive on Nitrox), I've found I get colder, and therefore quite like a few mm of neoprene at the end of a dive. Plus it cuts down on the scrapes and cuts. Probably.

Re BCD, I like a wing, but there are so many options out there, you're likely to be able to find the fit you want at OL / Mike's and then purchase online if cheaper. Some of them are ludicrously light now, I thought my Zeagle Stiletto was pretty good, but some of the newer Hollis, Mares and AQ gear is in another league. Mine does have integrated weights, which adds a bit of bulk, I suppose.

Secondhand is possible, but you'll need to get it serviced. Actually, servicing costs run c100 a year anyway, so bear that in mind.

If you want a basic BDC, the school kit is often very good to buy for travel ( basic simple layout and almost bullet proof) plus you save paying thought the nose for "tavel/light" editions. Buddy or Scubapro are good places to start, I have a 20 year buddy commando that other than being faded still does a great job.

For the Regs, Apex AXT 40 is pretty much all the reg you will ever need, cold water/warm water these things are amazing, slim it down to just the single console if you own a computer, just to make the kit even cleaner. (if your keen on the regs...give them a ring, because you never know what deals are about)

http://4thelementdiving.co.uk/collec...iant=270104412

Suits...well suits are a pesonal thing, if your a standard size then just buy the cheapest one for the diving your doing, Othree are the nuts when it comes to drysuits, I dont know about the wetsuits, but if they are even half as good quality it will probably outlast the rest of the kit. Mate recently got a Waterproof wetsuit for a trip to Thailand and she really rates it. so well worth a look.

http://www.othree.co.uk/wetsuit-rang...piece-wetsuit/

https://www.simplyscuba.com/products...mmWetsuit.aspx

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/wetsuits-1.html#a977

Or try lomo for some slightly less sexy suits but more sensible prices.

Mikes are expensive, Not a dig they just are because they have a real life shop in London, Wraysbury have a selection as do a few other dive shops this way (berkshire) but I do a lot of my diving in the UK so not really paid much attention to wetsuits to be honest.

Masks buy the one that fits best, snorkel...its a plastic tube thats easily lost so go cheap ( I use a £5 beaver mask and a .90p snorkel picked up in the bargain bin because they fit) fins bring the wetsuit boots to make sure they fit well, absolutly nothing wrong with buying second hand when it comes to fins, But i would look into spring straps or versions of to make life easier ( might even know of a few pairs of avanti's and quattros going if you want me to have a look)

Oh and if your looking for a computer, The Sunnto Zoop is a cracking buy for roughly £160 its going to be all the computer you need for a long time, not quite as sexy as the d4/d6 Novo's but much more sensible money

Nice one guys, really appreciate the help and i'm off to do some googling!

Nice one guys, really appreciate the help and i'm off to do some googling!
    Get a computer thats Nitrox compatible as well for a bit of future proofing

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Get a computer thats Nitrox compatible as well for a bit of future proofing
    I'd tend to agree. The Zoop is cool, but a secondhand Mosquito would be just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I'd tend to agree. The Zoop is cool, but a secondhand Mosquito would be just as good.

I would agree but brand new with nitrox, Free dive and guage mode it is a seriously hard to beat package.
    Plus they can also be used to smash crabs if needed.

Nothing wrong with 2nd hand gear (Picked up a couple of d4's as spares/holiday watches on this very forum) but for only a little bit more the zoop is very hard to beat, esp as the money saved on the DS4 compared to the MK25 Scubapro regs will cover the computer.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about hire gear at the schools in the Med. A quick search will give you all the info you need on the schools themselves. This means you might also get an idea of what you like or don't. I'll guarantee that whatever you originally buy , you'll get shiney gear envy on the first dive boat you go on.
    A good fitted mask is a good start . I'd also suggest good fins as these will probably stay with your kit for a long time.
    BCDs and regs can be a minefield. Do your research here because they are generally the most expensive too. I've been down this road and had numerous set ups,. It's only in the last couple of years that I've found a complete set up I'm happy and comfortable with.
    Travelling light is also a factor. If you have to pay extra both ways for your dive gear, are you saving anything as opposed to hiring a full set up?
    Join a dive forum if you can (The Dive Forum) and like on here , you'll get good advice.

I will add a note of caution regarding the purchase of second-hand dive equipment, particularly computers and regulators.

For example, older Suunto Zoops contain a different pressure sensor to the one now supplied and these are no longer available - thus rendering the computer irreparable. Also, support for the Mosquito model is now being affected by the lack of replacement parts, in particular the operating pushers. Any pre-owned regulator kit should be serviced before use by an authorised service centre, so you should factor in the cost for the parts and labour to do this.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Top notch lads, cheers as there's some great advice here!

I'm going to go new 100% I've 2 weeks before flying, I mailed 6 stores yesterday and only mikes replied! so I'm going to pop over there today/ tomorrow.

none of them will do deals, so I guess margins are tight on the products, or they're holding their nerve, any of you guys know the mark up of gear at all?

It's been a while since I bought any dive gear but I had a quick look and there doesn't seem to be the "full package" option which was very popular a few years ago. Perhaps this highlights the competitiveness in the industry meaning little or no discount.
    Some of the ones I've used in the past were
    www.divingdirect.co.uk are up in the North East
    www.divelife.co.uk ( although I think this shop may have changed hands) in Manchester
    Robin Hood Diving in Wakefield
    Divers Warehouse in Bradford .
    There's also Go Dive in Derby but they were very much hit and miss a few years back.
    I'd actually recommend the top two personally as I've used them a number of times and never had an issue with customer service or support.
    If you have a nuts and bolts shop nearby then they should be happy to adjust/service your gear before you buy.
    Frankly , I've got stuff up in my loft that might be of use to you before you throw £££s at your centre. Any old bits I don't need you're welcome to even if it's an old tank banger .

Top notch lads, cheers as there's some great advice here!

I'm going to go new 100% I've 2 weeks before flying, I mailed 6 stores yesterday and only mikes replied! so I'm going to pop over there today/ tomorrow.

none of them will do deals, so I guess margins are tight on the products, or they're holding their nerve, any of you guys know the mark up of gear at all?
    Vobster will do a deal (often 10% off depending on kit) if your a member that is. ( membership is roughly £30, with discounts on kit and entry to the site should you ever fancy cold water uk diving)

4th element, link listed above, will usually do a deal I have had 10% off them without even asking, so I would bet there is more if you get Sam on the phone, and the regs really really are the absolute top of the tree, they will do 99% of the diving you can think of without having to pay though the nose.

The shops will do a deal, but they probably wont put it down on email, Dive shops can be a bit shit when it comes to emails so probably best to call.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    If you want a basic BDC, the school kit is often very good to buy for travel ( basic simple layout and almost bullet proof) plus you save paying thought the nose for "tavel/light" editions. Buddy or Scubapro are good places to start, I have a 20 year buddy commando that other than being faded still does a great job.

For the Regs, Apex AXT 40 is pretty much all the reg you will ever need, cold water/warm water these things are amazing, slim it down to just the single console if you own a computer, just to make the kit even cleaner. (if your keen on the regs...give them a ring, because you never know what deals are about)

http://4thelementdiving.co.uk/collec...iant=270104412

Suits...well suits are a pesonal thing, if your a standard size then just buy the cheapest one for the diving your doing, Othree are the nuts when it comes to drysuits, I dont know about the wetsuits, but if they are even half as good quality it will probably outlast the rest of the kit. Mate recently got a Waterproof wetsuit for a trip to Thailand and she really rates it. so well worth a look.
    Whilst I use a different regulator I can recccomend Apex as being very good indeed. I do own a Waterproof wetsuit (as well as a well-used Buddy Commando) and again I rate these highly. When it comes to the console pressure gauge v. pressure transmitter though I would recommend having both: the transmitter/computer interface is not totally reliable IME, so a direct feed to a gauge is a good thing to have.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    If you have a nuts and bolts shop nearby then they should be happy to adjust/service your gear before you buy.
    Frankly , I've got stuff up in my loft that might be of use to you before you throw £££s at your centre. Any old bits I don't need you're welcome to even if it's an old tank banger .
    Cheers M8! Totally appreciate it, i'll drop you a PM.

Thanks for all the help as well guys!! I went and got a suit from ocean leisure yesterday, they matched the prices from the net, tried 5 on and and were really helpful! Just researching BCD's/ wings and regs now.

OK,

I thought I'd give this thread a bit of an update;

I ended up doing 8 dives out in majorca, throughly enjoyed the whole thing and met some really cool people! I realised very early, that the full foot fins are not good for anything other than snorkelling.. amazing fins, but they've gotta go and get replaced with open heeled versions of that model.

so gear wise, I went to OL in embankment, got a suit, tried a fair few on, really good idea as if i'd ordered on the net, i'd have got totally the wrong size. I bought some Aqualung core regs and 1st stage, can be used in cold as well as warm water, so I can use them in the UK, got a package with regs/octo, 1st stage, reg bag and a dive comp as well, saved £200, and got it from oyster as I did the theory and pool work with them. Really good people, wont match anything though, so i didnt end up buying anything else from them..

I then bought my safety gear/ boots and gloves from various retailers, i did mail a load of people, no one replied!

I'm getting the drysuit practice sorted and going to do deep diver as well, then going off to try some UK dives!

Thegoat I'll be in touch to see what you've got going mate!

OK,

I thought I'd give this thread a bit of an update;

I ended up doing 8 dives out in majorca, throughly enjoyed the whole thing and met some really cool people! I realised very early, that the full foot fins are not good for anything other than snorkelling.. amazing fins, but they've gotta go and get replaced with open heeled versions of that model.

so gear wise, I went to OL in embankment, got a suit, tried a fair few on, really good idea as if i'd ordered on the net, i'd have got totally the wrong size. I bought some Aqualung core regs and 1st stage, can be used in cold as well as warm water, so I can use them in the UK, got a package with regs/octo, 1st stage, reg bag and a dive comp as well, saved £200, and got it from oyster as I did the theory and pool work with them. Really good people, wont match anything though, so i didnt end up buying anything else from them..

I then bought my safety gear/ boots and gloves from various retailers, i did mail a load of people, no one replied!

I'm getting the drysuit practice sorted and going to do deep diver as well, then going off to try some UK dives!

Thegoat I'll be in touch to see what you've got going mate!
    Good stuff - If you get the chance, get yourself down to Plymouth before the weather starts getting colder (End of September).

Some of the best UK diving, especially for fairly inexperienced divers - If you don't enjoy the James Eagan Lane, you probably won't like much else in the UK!

M

Master
    Late to the thread but dive life in Manchester was my go to dive shop, similar to the goat it's been a while for me too :( the sight of the goat in a wetsuit put me off diving ;)

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Late to the thread but dive life in Manchester was my go to dive shop, similar to the goat it's been a while for me too :( the sight of the goat in a wetsuit put me off diving ;)
    Whilst you diving in a shell suit was fashionable eh?
    Good to see you last week pal. I did go back to The Cunard Building on Weds but you weren't there, someone said you'd been nicking the lead from the roof!

Ghostly, no problem pal. Funnily enough I'm out in Gozo at the minute and dipped my toe back in yesterday. I've got a few dives booked in now for the rest of the week but will be back home early next week and I'll have a look what's up there in the loft.

Craftsman
    I have a Suunto D6i which i am selling as i have just purchased the Suunto eon steel.

It will do all you want it to do i.e. Nitrox but no rebreather.

Rob...

Journeyman
    I have been diving in Asia for about 4 - 5 years.

(based in Singapore)

my suggestions : first get your own mask / fins/ dive computer/wet suit / DSMB/ knife etc

BCD and reg easy to hire at dive operator / often included with the diving.

once you have figured out what reg / BCD set up you like > then purchase. (long term it is much easier using your own gear as u are totally familiar with its usage )

I use an Apeks reg and Aqualung ( seaquest ) black diamond BCD ( wing style, also has pockets in front )

thoughts :

1/ if mainly traveling to warm water diving ; either apeks flight or aqualung micron are really good regs ( mine is very heavy cold water reg ... not needed in the tropics )

2/ for BCD : u can choose from 'back plate / wing' , traditional jacket style, or hybrid wing with jacket ( what I have )

wing style is better underwater for attitude and buoyancy - but usually has no pockets

trad jacket better on surface, and has pockets ( for DSMB, slate, knife, reel etc )

hybrid wing inflate jacket has good points of both - though surface flotation is like a wing

to add : larger screen dive computers are easier to read underwater ... I use a suunto d4 ( watch sized) - and find if hard to read at times, either on night dives or whne murky ... numbers are very small.

a basic large DC such as a Zoop is fine if u are doing normal diving with air or nitrox.

for deco or tech diving - one of the most popular DCs is the Shearwater petrel2 or perdix - several friends have them ... and rave about them ( also good for normal diving )

good quality brands for dive gear are : scubapro, aqualung, apeks, zeagle, atomic, seaquest, hollis, OMS .. plus Mares.

Oceanic not so good / made in China ( though I have one of their DSMBs .. which are by definition low tech )
    Last edited by alfaman; 10th July 2016 at 05:48.

I've been diving for 25 years and only take a mask and computer

I can usually sniff out a good dive centre and check out their gear. I'd rather use gear that was serviced and used regularly than something sat in a cupboard all year

Most of the centres that are well run have great kit in my experience

Quote Originally Posted by alfaman View Post
    I have been diving in Asia for about 4 - 5 years.

(based in Singapore)

my suggestions : first get your own mask / fins/ dive computer/wet suit / DSMB/ knife etc

BCD and reg easy to hire at dive operator / often included with the diving.

once you have figured out what reg / BCD set up you like > then purchase. (long term it is much easier using your own gear as u are totally familiar with its usage )

I use an Apeks reg and Aqualung ( seaquest ) black diamond BCD ( wing style, also has pockets in front )

thoughts :

1/ if mainly traveling to warm water diving ; either apeks flight or aqualung micron are really good regs ( mine is very heavy cold water reg ... not needed in the tropics )

2/ for BCD : u can choose from 'back plate / wing' , traditional jacket style, or hybrid wing with jacket ( what I have )

wing style is better underwater for attitude and buoyancy - but usually has no pockets

trad jacket better on surface, and has pockets ( for DSMB, slate, knife, reel etc )

hybrid wing inflate jacket has good points of both - though surface flotation is like a wing

to add : larger screen dive computers are easier to read underwater ... I use a suunto d4 ( watch sized) - and find if hard to read at times, either on night dives or whne murky ... numbers are very small.

a basic large DC such as a Zoop is fine if u are doing normal diving with air or nitrox.

for deco or tech diving - one of the most popular DCs is the Shearwater petrel2 or perdix - several friends have them ... and rave about them ( also good for normal diving )

good quality brands for dive gear are : scubapro, aqualung, apeks, zeagle, atomic, seaquest, hollis, OMS .. plus Mares.

Oceanic not so good / made in China ( though I have one of their DSMBs .. which are by definition low tech )

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been diving for 25 years professionally, I use the companies equipment, I just turn up with an iPad full of porn and 1 long sock

HTH

mike