closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Joys of Selling a Watch on a Well Known Auction Website

Journeyman

The Joys of Selling a Watch on a Well Known Auction Website

I thought this was too lovely an experience not to share.

I had an old gold-plated, Swiss made quartz watch for sale. Plating worn through in parts and a couple of dings out of the bracelet but otherwise a nice little item I thought. The auction ended on Sunday evening and was won by the one and only bidder. A little disappointing but there you go.

On Monday I posted the watch first class. As I had anticipated an insured service being required I had charged more for postage than was required so I refunded the difference to the buyer.

On Tuesday I received this message:
    "Hi well I have just got the itom and I can see its had plenty of where but I under stould what you seid in the photo about it but it's dill.looking wich it did not look dill in the photo anny way I am think in to try and get it aver ald he'll. I see you have seid about sume salt of a bit of a refund anny way thanks"

A bit of buyer's remorse creeping in? Nothing I could say but on Wednesday I woke up to this:
    "Hi well lm tex in you as to tell you that the itom.you sent to me was lusing time so I trid to wind it to put the time right and the wider his brock on.it don't move the hands it warks but as I seid you can not alter the right time so I'm very disapontid and what are you going to do about if I send it back.to you I will won't my 12.pounds 50 back also the postig of sending back to you or if you like you put back in to my a count 8 pounds so I can pay to get it dun in the shop kindly tex me what you won't to do about it I had the intension to pay and see if I could get the stap repead I like it but I am disapontid your truly"

and this:
    "P's you must have dun.it when you put the new battery in it"

I thought I'm just going to have to take this one on the chin so I refunded the remainder of his money and told him to keep the watch. Then this:
    "Hi well I I'm deeply sorry I tryd ii
    Di
    Well I Ho you a polergice have just fond out that there's a diffrac way to do it a nd it's ok I am very very sorry yours tuly
    "

and this:
    "Hi well I how you a polergy I have just fond out that you have to poll it out farther I did not won't to pool.it out in cass I brick it what I could not mack.out that when you tern the winder it's not like enny over one it just gos rind all the time so it's ok now please except my deployment a polergy if you have put the munny back in to my a count please tack it back out yours truly"

and this:
    "Hi well I just sent a tex and told you its ok. The truball was the winder when you pall it out to set the right time when you tern it the hands would not move the winder just went did not do anny think that was the truball but t fond out you pall it out Moore sorry as I seid please except my a polergy and if you have as I seid put the munny back in to my account then tack it back out thank you"

and this:
    "I'm refunding the amont back to the seller there was a ererr but I have saltid it out its ok I. Have a perlgice to the seller and talk him to tack. The munny back out of my a count thank you from"

I told him I was unable to take money out of his account, not to worry about it and to keep the watch and enjoy it in good health. It was appreciated:
    "Well.i fill bad about it if you like I can send you a chque if you I like if u give me your address u are a mental man thank I could give u a 100 fed back I have neve had enny ovther deler like you I can not thank u enth I'm going to have the sirap re pared and in joy wering it thank you"

I am indeed a "mental man"! So I'm an old watch down that the market had determined had no real value. The buyer has a watch which hopefully he will get use out of and enjoy and he can put the money he saved into getting it "aver ald he'll*". All's well that ends well.

* overhauled I believe

Banned
    Thanks for that. He should be blindfolded, tied to a post and shot. I hope he has not passed his genes on to anyone. That would be a major crime...

Craftsman
    Good grief! What shocking spelling. How on earth can someone type that out, re-read it and then think it's ok to send? You have plenty patience, well done. As you say "the joys".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Good job it wasn't something worth a few grand

How do they use Google?

Master

Wow!! Just wow!!

Amazing!!
    I'm not sure how you kept your cool?!
    I want sellers like you to sell me things but that never happens!!!!!
    This is exactly the reason I stay as far away from the well known auction site now as I can and my serial flipping days are on hold?!
    FairPlay for being so decent about it all!!!!

Chris

First of all: JESUS F***ING CHRIST!

2nd of all: There is no way in hell that this person is really talking like that in English. Honestly, I think someone tried making fun of you.

Think about it, the story is dubious and his "english" is as well. People that spell words in english as they hear them wouldn't talk like this...

Just my opinion...

Master
    he clearly voted out

Leave or remain?....I'll get my coat

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Thanks for that. He should be blindfolded, tied to a post and shot. I hope he has not passed his genes on to anyone. That would be a major crime...
    Am I the only one here seeing that, despite the absolutely atrocious spelling, grammar, attitude and...err...everything, this is ultimately a story about a buyer who realised his mistake, and went to every length possible to make it right? I think remarks about him being shot and ensuring he can't reproduce are somewhat excessive.

Someone skipped skewl.

But as JasonM said - how do you even function on a basic level with the English skills of a 5 year old.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Member of your family, is he?

images of the 'allo allo pololceman came flooding back..... got to be worth the 12 quid just reading that - I'd tell him to donate it to charity and show you the receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post

2nd of all: There is no way in hell that this person is really talking like that in English. Honestly, I think someone tried making fun of you.

Think about it, the story is dubious and his "english" is as well. People that spell words in english as they hear them wouldn't talk like this...

Just my opinion...
    You should stick around. Most of the "lifeblood of the Forum" can't manage to string together a few words of English without committing some appalling crimes against the arts of spelling and grammar.

I should point out in the interests of inclusivity, many established members are similarly afflicted.

It looks to me like the buyer has developed a first rate method for using this auction site. Simply train a chimp up to a very low level of literacy and let it handle your correspondence.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It looks to me like the buyer has developed a first rate method for using this auction site. Simply train a chimp up to a very low level of literacy and let it handle your correspondence.
    A bidding monkey?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman
    Following my experiences selling camera gear on there, I dread the thought of putting an expensive watch via that particular auction. Good job it was one you could just refund and forget about, good job on understanding the buyer too!

Quote Originally Posted by ghu1967 View Post
    Good grief! What shocking spelling. How on earth can someone type that out, re-read it and then think it's ok to send?
    have you considered that english might not be his first language?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

And this is why I'll never sell anything via ebay, too many stupid people/chancers spoiling it for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    too many stupid people/chancers spoiling it for everyone else.
    i cem to thet konklewshin bowt eBay long go.

....sadly , these are also my current thoughts about sc

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    have you considered that english might not be his first language?
    Yes, that did cross my mind, but having corresponded with many people from Russia, The Middle East and the Far East, something about the intended structure of his words made me think that the seller was just a (very) poor speller.
    Hey, It's not the crime of the century, and we've all fallen foul of either poor spelling or bad grammar, but over the course of those written exchanges it's certainly an eyebrow raiser with the extent of mis-spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by GWFH View Post
    please except my deployment a polergy if you have put the munny back in to my a count please tack it back out yours truly"
    It's deployant, not deployment. How many times...?

Berk.

Apprentice

The Joys of Selling a Watch on a Well Known Auction Website

Definitely someone from another land. As said earlier you have a lot of patience and I would say a generous spirit. God knows what I would have said to this person especially after having problems in the past with an Italian gent and a lady from very hotter climes.

I have my old Seiko 7n42 8070 a4 for sale at present as its a very old cheap watch I found in a drawer. Not in brilliant nick but I,m now hoping I don't get these issues and thinking is it worth the hassle, I think this auction site getting worse and everything in the buyers favour.By the way this isn't an advert in any way.
    Regards David

Smile

made my day , thanks for taking the time to write all that out!!

I've come across similar on an EV forum; the guy really struggles with his writing but he's converting an electric van into a motor home and doing a very good job too.

Not everyone who's only semi literate is stupid!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I've come across similar on an EV forum; the guy really struggles with his writing but he's converting an electric van into a motor home and doing a very good job too.

Not everyone who's only semi literate is stupid!
    Very true, a friend of mine is dyslexic, but also in the top 1% IQ and a high voltage expert, one of only a few world wide that is as qualified as he is.
    I'd trust him to wire up anything, just not ask him to write a report on it afterwards !!!

Journeyman
    This should be a stickie/sticky. You have just put me off using *bay to sell anything.

I sold a really nice 14060 on ebay once, still makes me shudder.

The guy may not be stupid, just illiterate, there is a difference. There may be a really sad background story as to why he couldn't attend school so no need to have him shot. Seems like a sweet guy.

Craftsman
    I suspect some kind of disability, both from the use of the language but also the notably emotive reactions to the various trials and tribulations of this watch buying journey.

I'm sorry to say I really enjoyed that story

Reminded me of Ian Banks' 'Feersum Endjinn'

I did wonder (wunda?) if he was dyslexic.

I've no direct experience of this, but I did see a bloke at a training course once asked to "write up the ideas as they were raised".

When he started, there were a few titters from the audience, but pretty soon we realised he had a serious problem with spelling!

He certainly wasn't an idiot, so I suspect this was the problem - To him it looked fine, but to us it looked ridiculous.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Very true, a friend of mine is dyslexic, but also in the top 1% IQ and a high voltage expert, one of only a few world wide that is as qualified as he is.
    I'd trust him to wire up anything, just not ask him to write a report on it afterwards !!!
    That's shocking!

Apologies, I'm already half way out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I did wonder (wunda?) if he was dyslexic.
    M.
    My vote goes for a Speech recognition program.
    Dragon 10 did the same with me until the computer learnt to recognise my strong northern accent.
    I had to talk to like a newsreader to get the message down on paper, other wise there were hundred of edits to do, just like his.

That's definitely a bot.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh bless him.
    I'm pleased he was honest and tried to make it right, despite failing quite abysmally. And I'm glad that he was grateful.

Journeyman
    Bless him, I applaud your patience

this is way we knead bolder cuntrols, keep them pore spallers owt

Journeyman
    Fair play to you, you're a decent old skin.

Craftsman
    Reads as if he is honest and has problems. I bet it was very stressful for him writing to you and took him a long time. Your a gent. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post
    Reads as if he is honest and has problems. I bet it was very stressful for him writing to you and took him a long time. Your a gent. Cheers
    Exactly. If he was a real twunt he never would have come clean and apperlollologised . Anyone can make mistakes.

Craftsman
    I have to say you handled that really well and you had an honest buyer - rare in the world of Internet auctions

Had to stop reading the guys replies, simply because I could not understand most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    And this is why I'll never sell anything via ebay, too many stupid people/chancers spoiling it for everyone else.
    I don't know how you reached that conclusion. He comes across as a very honest person.

His speeling and graymar may not be correct but his intentions were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post
    Agreed, it reads to me as if he has a disability and is trying to use speech recognition.

We had a cleaner with learning difficulties at our office once. I remember him showing me some forms he had filled in to get his mums tenancy transferred to him when she died. The amount of effort he had put into producing meaningless gibberish would make you weep.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post

Just my opinion...
    I agree with this. Probably does it every time he makes a purchase to avoid paying.

That said he did appear reasonably honest. Maybe his first language is not English.
    Last edited by Vincent; 3rd July 2016 at 14:59.

Craftsman
    I enjoyed that-and fair play to you for keeping your cool, and going to every length to appease the buyer. Shame he didnt understand how to refund via paypal!!!!! That may have been explained, I just couldnt work some of the response you recieved.