closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CW clearance sale

CW clearance sale

Master
    Not for me either, but it did make me take a look at what else they're making, and I quite like this one :

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c6...00-variation-1

Any chance of a discount on regularly priced watches?

Sign up for their newsletter. They had 15% off a few weeks back and sales are fairly regular.

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    Sign up for their newsletter. They had 15% off a few weeks back and sales are fairly regular.

Steve
    I'll do that and see what happens. Thanks for the tip

Does anyone believe they're losing money at 50% off?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Does anyone believe they're losing money at 50% off?

Eddie
    No they are not losing money, but the one I purchased from them saved me nearly £500.
    I would definitely not purchase a CW at full price.
    They have as many sales as DFS

Is it a sale though (i.e. new unused watches at a discount) or are these returned goods or press samples that someone was worn for a month?

Quote Originally Posted by alan2273 View Post
    I would definitely not purchase a CW at full price.
    Me either. I really like the C1000 (https://www.christopherward.co.uk/wa...ockpit-edition) but I don't want to shell out nearly a grand a CW watch. Max I would spend on one of their watches is £500 as I don't feel that they're high enough quality make.

Master
    Are they clearing out for the new branded stuff? This lot look so much better than the new soft modern look they've gone over to.

If I was in the market for a watch id be tempted. What more traditional brand are they in line with, quality wise?

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Is it a sale though (i.e. new unused watches at a discount) or are these returned goods or press samples that someone was worn for a month?
    If they are marked as "NN" or "Nearly New", then they are returns under the 60/60 scheme (although reports on the CW forum suggest that they are always immaculate). Otherwise they are new and unused.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    Me either. I really like the C1000 (https://www.christopherward.co.uk/wa...ockpit-edition) but I don't want to shell out nearly a grand a CW watch. Max I would spend on one of their watches is £500 as I don't feel that they're high enough quality make.
    I like that as well - I'd go as high as £200 for that one.

I had a CW T Pro and was impressed by the quality, though could never get over wearing another mans watch. So I sold it, often wonder whether Chris got it back?

Craftsman
    There are plenty of issues with CW not least the endless sales and logo changes. However, I have had half a dozen and still have the C1000 which I genuinely think is good value especially when it can be had in one of the countless sales. Here it is;

For the sale price, you can't really quibble about the quality of CW watches.

I've had 3, two have gone now, but I've still got a Makaira in stainless that cost me £250 new...

I'm hard pressed to think of a better watch for that price.

Prices are heading upward, though, so they're not looking quite as irresistible as they used to...

M

Master
    Agree the constant sales are infuriating but also beneficial :D I've only ever bought when sales are on so grabbed some IMO bargains. They're based only ten minutes from me so easy enough to just pop down and check out the sale watches.

Have always found them very helpful whether it's in a selling or customer service capacity. Think they'd be far better off adopting the Steinhart business model rather than the incessant sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Agree the constant sales are infuriating but also beneficial :D I've only ever bought when sales are on so grabbed some IMO bargains. They're based only ten minutes from me so easy enough to just pop down and check out the sale watches.

Have always found them very helpful whether it's in a selling or customer service capacity. Think they'd be far better off adopting the Steinhart business model rather than the incessant sales.
    I agree - Being positioned as a value seller at all times, rather than a mid-market one that has a DFS approach to sales, would help their reputation, although I'm not sure it's really that much of a problem amongst people who are drawn to them by ads in glossy magazines, just watch nerds...

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Ey-Up View Post
    There are plenty of issues with CW not least the endless sales and logo changes. However, I have had half a dozen and still have the C1000 which I genuinely think is good value especially when it can be had in one of the countless sales.
    Shush with your well-reasoned moderate stance ;)

The thing that grates is if they said from the outset - new pilot style 7750 chrono in a titanium/ceramic case for £500 people would quite reasonably think - ok, not bad at all, tell me more, I'm genuinely interested. Even hardened watch forum souls would take a look.

By positioning it as a £1000 watch, then perma-discounting they risk being tarred with the Amazon RRP/Invicta/Klaus Kobec/Sunday supplement brush.

Craftsman
    Less of the moderate then.......the C1000 actually started life as a £1500 piece before joining something they called the £995 club or something.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post

The thing that grates is if they said from the outset - new pilot style 7750 chrono in a titanium/ceramic case for £500 people would quite reasonably think - ok, not bad at all, tell me more, I'm genuinely interested. Even hardened watch forum souls would take a look.

By positioning it as a £1000 watch, then perma-discounting they risk being tarred with the Amazon RRP/Invicta/Klaus Kobec/Sunday supplement brush.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post

Invicta?? Steady on, old chap. That's a bit fierce... :-)

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by Ey-Up View Post
    the C1000 actually started life as a £1500 piece before joining something they called the £995 club or something.
    Ah, in that case I retract my former comments :)

I still think a more honest pricing policy would help both the buyer and seller. The CW brand wouldn't attract such negative vibes and the punter would feel confident buying a watch that wasn't going to halve in price the next day.

This is not news though. Your watch looks nice, really suits the strap :)

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    Invicta?? Steady on, old chap. That's a bit fierce... :-)
    I'm not saying the brand or watches are comparable - Just the perception of a fake RRP that no-one ever pays anywhere near.

My personal BrandCompass (tm) puts CW akin to Hamilton or some of the newer micro brands.

Master
    As a company I don't think they're far from being a really competitive watch brand. I've bought three over the years and have never had any complaints.

This time I thought I'd try a bit of titanium, looked at CW Trident Pro Titanium (bracelet) £1000. Somebody suggested I look at Steinhart Ocean One Titanium- better grade of Titanium, better movement, looks better & £500 a no brainier. CW as a brand have to be very careful not to price their self out of the market, I agree they sit alongside Hamilton, Glycine etc.... Get the price/value correct and do away with the regular sales full stop.