closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Day out in Winchester

Day out in Winchester

(The search function tipped up lots about boots!)

A friend of mine from years back used to rate Winchester very highly for a day out (on foot). Unfortunately I can't ask him for the highlights but with cheap train travel at the moment and a day to spend chilling out, can anyone recommend good destinations in Winchester preferably within walking distance of the station although buses would be OK?

We don't do pubs (I know, I know) and petal's a vegetarian so recommendations for a small indie cafe or restaurant for lunch would be great.

I'm into photography, architecture and a bit of drawing, petal's into history, museums and art. We like walking so a hike would be welcome.

Anything really, what's Winchester like?

Go to Norwich instead
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I live there, it's quite nice. If you like photography there is some great architecture.

It's not that big by the way, it only has City status as it has a Cathedral, it's more the size of a small town.

The station is at the top of the city and you can walk right to the bottom of town straight down the High Street to the statue of King Alfred in about 20-30 mins. You wont need to get a bus if your legs work OK

Your are spoilt for restaurants and pubs, if you tell me what kind of food you like I'll recommend a few places.

I'd recommend the Wkykeham Arms, for a bit of traditional Winchester, which is the oldest pub and is located on the edge of the Cathedral walls, the short walk there West of the High Street will give you a great glimpse of the oldest part of the City. I know you said you don't do pubs but this is more of a Gastro pub and is very charming, Colin Firth is sometimes spotted here. I've seen Ian Botham eating there as well.

www.wykehamarmswinchester.co.uk
    Last edited by Vanguard; 28th July 2016 at 14:27.

Yeah, it's nice, but as the last poster said, it's quite small and the main highlight is the Cathedral and some streets around it).

Near the King Alfred statue there's a working water mill which is worth a look.

If you like walking in the country there's plenty of that around, some with good views back over the town.

Salisbury is well worth a look too. You could probably do both in a day with car, but I don't know how easy it would be to get between them on trains.

M.

I have never been there , but it does seem to have a few interesting sites .

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=Winchest..._MA8gvESjAAAAA

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Yeah, it's nice, but as the last poster said, it's quite small and the main highlight is the Cathedral and some streets around it).

Near the King Alfred statue there's a working water mill which is worth a look.

If you like walking in the country there's plenty of that around, some with good views back over the town.

Salisbury is well worth a look too. You could probably do both in a day with car, but I don't know how easy it would be to get between them on trains.

M.
    There is an enterprise car rental place at Winchester railway station, you could hire a car (£40) and go to Salisbury if you wanted too but if you've never been to Winchester before there is just about enough to keep you amused for the day

Good shout on the Watermill, there is a nice walk down the River from there as well, the Town Hall, Cathedral and Old Medieval Hall are worth a look. King Arthurs round table is there, obviously not real.

Some small Gallery's down the side streets as well and artisan jewelers.

I wouldn't bother with the Castle it really is just ruins and nothing that still resembles a Castle

When you visit the Cathedral, make sure you walk down the right hand side of it outside and then hang a right and keep going, at the end of this little closed off courtyard is one of the oldest houses you will ever see. Well worth a photograph.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 28th July 2016 at 14:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    .. if you tell me what kind of food you like I'll recommend a few places.
    Thanks guys, we appreciate the input.

We'd only ever go for "healthy" food if that makes any sense. We did stumble across a great vegetarian restaurant in Ilminster which was a real treasure to find. Properly cooked, properly tasty healthy food with very pleasant owners. That sort of thing would be ideal. (In contrast, I was disappointed with Five Guys next to Charing Cross when we were there a couple of weeks back.)

Blog Entries
    I grew up in Winchester and my parents still live there, the Great Hall is worth a visit as is the Gurka Museum.

Another Winchester resident here.

There's more than enough to do for a day here without needing a car - you can walk from the station to the bottom of town in about 20 minutes.

The cathedral (where many kings/queens were married - Winchester used to be the capital before that young upstart, London, came on the scene) has the longest nave of any Gothic cathedral in Europe, although it's very low key as cathedrals go, with no spire to speak of. For walks, either go along the water meadows or climb St Catherine's Hill - both within a mile or less of the centre of town.

For shopping, the High Street (which has a couple of second-hand watch dealers) and Parchment Street are best.

Even though the Wykeham Arms is my local, it's far from my favourite place to eat. My wife is a vegetarian, and there are no veggie-only eateries in Winchester. There are a couple of good independent pizza restaurants (one on The Square), and most restaurants have some veggie dishes on the menu. There is no shortage of restaurants, at all price points.

Even if you don't do pubs, the Black Boy is well worth visiting for its eclectic and eccentric décor.

I don't think there are any specific health food type restaurants, it would be more a case of going somewhere nice then ordering the healthy options from the Menu

There is a River Cottage restaurant as in that guy from TV, also a Rick Stein Restaurant and a Brasserie Blanc to name a few, they all do good food and offer healthy options.

Actually if one of you is vegetarian the best place you could go is the Nepalese restaurant, I had a vege girlfriend once and we went there and she loved it, as did I. Huge selection of non meat dishes.

http://gurkhasinnwinchester.com/
    Last edited by Vanguard; 28th July 2016 at 14:56.

Blog Entries
    Wykeham Arms is excellent, it's been a long time since I've had a good booze up in there though, used to be tradition to meet up every Christmas Eve with past College/School mates.

Master
    You're very welcome to visit my place but don't cause a nuisance or you'll be prosecuted

I seem to remember it's just off the High Street

When you visit the Cathedral, make sure you walk down the right hand side of it outside and then hang a right and keep going, at the end of this little closed off courtyard is one of the oldest houses you will ever see. Well worth a photograph.
    Do you mean Dome Alley? If so, it's worth visiting the tiny church of St Swithun upon Kingsgate, which is right beside it and is upstairs (as its name suggests) over the Kingsgate.

(Of course, it's not the oldest house in Winchester, which is either a private house on Blue Ball Hill, or the Chesil Rectory, which is now a restaurant)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    We'd only ever go for "healthy" food if that makes any sense.

I was disappointed with Five Guys next to Charing Cross when we were there a couple of weeks back.
    I can't imagine how it didn't meet your criteria.

Craftsman
    There is a River Cottage restaurant as in that guy from TV, also a Rick Stein Restaurant and a Brasserie Blanc to name a few, they all do good food and offer healthy options.
    Have been to the River Cottage Canteen in Winchester a couple of times, it was excellent and reasonable value in a very nice location just off the main pedestrian areas in an old mill.

Make sure you visit Montezuma's chocolate store on the high street, if only for the free samples!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    I can't imagine how it didn't meet your criteria.

That must be about £20 worth of 'Five Guys' heart attack food right there. Took my son into one a few months back after seeing a film and we walked out when we saw the prices. McDonalds food at 4 times the price. I don't get how these places survive?!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wharry View Post
    Have been to the River Cottage Canteen in Winchester a couple of times, it was excellent and reasonable value in a very nice location just off the main pedestrian areas in an old mill.
    Second this, the River Cottage canteen has great food and good value. Last time we went we had the Sunday roast, but there are health menu options as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    That must be about £20 worth of 'Five Guys' heart attack food right there. Took my son into one a few months back after seeing a film and we walked out when we saw the prices. McDonalds food at 4 times the price. I don't get how these places survive?!
    To be fair, there's something that looks a bit like meat in that burger.

I've never seen anything VAGUELY like meat in a McDonalds polystyrene bun...

M.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Second this, the River Cottage canteen has great food and good value. Last time we went we had the Sunday roast, but there are health menu options as well.
    Lucky you...it's hit and miss so you are just as likely to wish you hadn't bothered.

I can second the Gurkha Inn,and I might also chuck in the Kyoto Kitchen as an option for food which is a very nice Japanese restaurant.

Its a shame you don't do pubs as there are loads of really nice ones.

Master
    For a couple of anoraks Winchester is a fantastic place to visit. The peninsula barracks are lovely to see and there is a museum to go with it, the cathedral is ok but nothing on Salisbury and Loads of nice tea rooms to grab a cucumber sandwich

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Five Guys is amazing! Nothing like Maccy Ds. Burgers taste of beef and you get to choose your toppings. Fries are skin-on and if you get a medium portion it's enough for 3 people. Drinks are pay once and free top ups. You won't eat again for 48 hours but sooooo worth it. I might have one this weekend now

Get youself down to the Eclipse Inn, the toilets are older than most of Winchester...

Master
    Does Raymond Blanc's 'Brasserie Blanc' take your fancy?

PRIX FIXE MENUServed Monday to Saturday until 6.30pm
    TWO COURSES for 10.95THREE COURSES for 14.45
    CELERY SOUPparsley & hazelnut dressing V gf
    SLOW ROAST TOMATO & FENNEL SALADgreen basil oil V gf df
    SPINACH & FRISEE SALAD Jervaulx blue cheese dressing, chives, croutons V gf (without croutons)
    LAMB SHOULDERcreamy mash, roast vegetables, garlic confit gf
    STEAK FRITES ‘EXPRESS’ (£2 supplement)chargrilled Cornish minute steak, garlic & herb butter, frites, green salad
    CORNISH MACKEREL FILLETnew potatoes, wilted greens, garlic & saffron rouille gf df
    SUMMER VEGETABLE RISOTTO tomato & basil essence V gf
    STRAWBERRY FOOLbutter biscuit V gf (without biscuit)
    CHOCOLATE MOUSSEcaramelised banana, toasted almonds V gf
    RHUBARB & CUSTARDhoneycomb crisp V gf
    VSuitable for vegetarians. gfGluten free. dfDairy free. Some of our dishes contain olive stones, fish bones, nuts and nut derivatives & our menu descriptions do not list all ingredients. If you have any concerns about the presence of allergens, please speak to a member of staff. All major credit cards are accepted. VAT is included at the prevailing rate. A discretionary service charge of 12.5% applies to parties of six or more – thank you.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Does Raymond Blanc's 'Brasserie Blanc' take your fancy?

PRIX FIXE MENUServed Monday to Saturday until 6.30pm
    TWO COURSES for 10.95THREE COURSES for 14.45
    CELERY SOUPparsley & hazelnut dressing V gf
    SLOW ROAST TOMATO & FENNEL SALADgreen basil oil V gf df
    SPINACH & FRISEE SALAD Jervaulx blue cheese dressing, chives, croutons V gf (without croutons)
    LAMB SHOULDERcreamy mash, roast vegetables, garlic confit gf
    STEAK FRITES ‘EXPRESS’ (£2 supplement)chargrilled Cornish minute steak, garlic & herb butter, frites, green salad
    CORNISH MACKEREL FILLETnew potatoes, wilted greens, garlic & saffron rouille gf df
    SUMMER VEGETABLE RISOTTO tomato & basil essence V gf
    STRAWBERRY FOOLbutter biscuit V gf (without biscuit)
    CHOCOLATE MOUSSEcaramelised banana, toasted almonds V gf
    RHUBARB & CUSTARDhoneycomb crisp V gf
    VSuitable for vegetarians. gfGluten free. dfDairy free. Some of our dishes contain olive stones, fish bones, nuts and nut derivatives & our menu descriptions do not list all ingredients. If you have any concerns about the presence of allergens, please speak to a member of staff. All major credit cards are accepted. VAT is included at the prevailing rate. A discretionary service charge of 12.5% applies to parties of six or more – thank you.
    YES! Very much so, I like the look of that :)

Master
    Good.

As for places, I agree with PhilipK, the Cathedral is glorious; indeed, world-class.

My favourite walk is to Winchester College, past the house where Jane Austen died, and on to the water meadows beyond.

Master
    The Round Table hanging on the wall in the Great Hall is well worth seeing

Thanks so much to everyone, much better than turning up cold, standing outside the station, looking around going "now where?"