closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New TV - Freeview and wifi issues

Master

New TV - Freeview and wifi issues

Bought a new tv for kids to play games, watch their own channels etc. It's a new Sony one which is ultra hd capable etc and also has a built in Freeview hd tuner and wifi.

The wifi just won't connect. I've tried plugging the tv in in different rooms and every now and then it will connect but most of the time no joy. The Xbox connected to the tv gets a good enough signal to stream Amazon Prime films so the signal isn't that bad in that room.

Also, when I first tuned it I got an odd line up of channels - the first one was itv 3 I think - no BBC, ITV etc. But now it won't get a signal at all. Tried it in different rooms with different cables and no joy. I did read somewhere that the signal strength was changed with the switch to Freeview HD and as our aerial goes through a distribution box I'm wondering if that has had an effect?

Will hopefully have someone to come round and look at the actual aerial soon, but any ideas would be gratefully received.

Also on the wifi front - anything to try would be helpful. Everything else connects fine so why not the tv? I don't really want to have to buy network plugs as it defeats the purpose of having a wifi enabled tv. Will changing the router channel help?

Thanks for any insight!

Master
    Forgot say that I've tried manual tuning via frequency and channel and also by switching the LNA option off and on - still no luck. We don't have anything else with a freeview tuner to test the signal with.

Have you tried a firmware update? Almost everything needs a firmware update out of the box these days.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Aerial

You may need an upgrade of aerial

They are a lot cheaper than they were

Sony may help
    Where are you based?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    You may need an upgrade of aerial

They are a lot cheaper than they were

Sony may help
    Where are you based?
    I'm based in Maidenhead. How would I get Sony to help and what would they be able to do?

I've updated to the latest firmware etc but the fact that I've gone from having some channels to nothing is a bit puzzling.

Cheers

The first thing to do is get somebody to check the aerial. You may need an upgrade. I assume you have plugged into a roof mounted aerial that works with another TV?

If the TV won't pick up freeview in this configuration then it's broken!

Once this works turn your attention to the WiFi. If it has Ethernet capability then I'd try that, if you can make that work then it's just crap WiFi signal.

Worth looking to see if your router can see the TV as a WiFi connection as well.

Take it back for an exchange/refund.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    The first thing to do is get somebody to check the aerial. You may need an upgrade. I assume you have plugged into a roof mounted aerial that works with another TV?

If the TV won't pick up freeview in this configuration then it's broken!

Once this works turn your attention to the WiFi. If it has Ethernet capability then I'd try that, if you can make that work then it's just crap WiFi signal.

Worth looking to see if your router can see the TV as a WiFi connection as well.
    Waiting for someone to come and check the aerial and see if it needs re-tuning or an upgrade etc. I don't have another tv with a Freeview tuner to check so I'm a bit stuck there. Odd that it would receive a few channels one day and then nothing no matter what scan you use.

Good idea to check if the router can see the tv. Will try that out too.

If all else fails then it's going back!

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Waiting for someone to come and check the aerial and see if it needs re-tuning or an upgrade etc. I don't have another tv with a Freeview tuner to check so I'm a bit stuck there. Odd that it would receive a few channels one day and then nothing no matter what scan you use.

Good idea to check if the router can see the tv. Will try that out too.

If all else fails then it's going back!
    I had an aerial problem a few years back. One TV worked fine the other one - nothing. I had to change to a proper "digital aerial" and more importantly replace the rotted co-ax cable that was external to the house. I fitted a splitter in the loft and ran aerial cable to each TV. All works fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Bought a new tv for kids to play games, watch their own channels etc. It's a new Sony one which is ultra hd capable etc and also has a built in Freeview hd tuner and wifi.

The wifi just won't connect. I've tried plugging the tv in in different rooms and every now and then it will connect but most of the time no joy. The Xbox connected to the tv gets a good enough signal to stream Amazon Prime films so the signal isn't that bad in that room.

Also, when I first tuned it I got an odd line up of channels - the first one was itv 3 I think - no BBC, ITV etc. But now it won't get a signal at all. Tried it in different rooms with different cables and no joy. I did read somewhere that the signal strength was changed with the switch to Freeview HD and as our aerial goes through a distribution box I'm wondering if that has had an effect?

Will hopefully have someone to come round and look at the actual aerial soon, but any ideas would be gratefully received.

Also on the wifi front - anything to try would be helpful. Everything else connects fine so why not the tv? I don't really want to have to buy network plugs as it defeats the purpose of having a wifi enabled tv. Will changing the router channel help?

Thanks for any insight!
    Hi
    I have a sony bravia smart tv thingy with wifi and I had to change the channel the router broadcasts on to get a reliable connection,
    Wook

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    Hi
    I have a sony bravia smart tv thingy with wifi and I had to change the channel the router broadcasts on to get a reliable connection,
    Wook
    Thanks. Will be trying that out and hopefully it works without causing issues or problems elsewhere!

The other thing I've thought of is turning the Virgin Media hub into a modem and getting a wifi box that produces a better signal. If anyone has any recommendations that would be great. Or maybe try a range extender.

Cheers
    Last edited by bambam; 11th August 2016 at 09:42.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a sony and the Wi-Fi is great when it works but occasionally drops out and I have to do a whole new Wi-Fi set up.
    Are you connecting via auto setup? I do mine manually to get it on the 5ghz channel.

If you have never had free view hd before then it is likely an aerial upgrade is needed but also just as important is upgrading the cable. Ideally with no breaks/splitters in it so it goes straight to the back of the tv.

Blog Entries
    Where I live the aerial reception is poor to nothing but we have satellite so no worries however the aerial should have nothing to do with a smart tv getting signal via WiFi we have a smart tv that gets signal via this and an older tv that gets signal via an Roku external box so have you checked your WiFi strength?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Where I live the aerial reception is poor to nothing but we have satellite so no worries however the aerial should have nothing to do with a smart tv getting signal via WiFi we have a smart tv that gets signal via this and an older tv that gets signal via an Roku external box so have you checked your WiFi strength?
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I have a sony and the Wi-Fi is great when it works but occasionally drops out and I have to do a whole new Wi-Fi set up.
    Are you connecting via auto setup? I do mine manually to get it on the 5ghz channel.

If you have never had free view hd before then it is likely an aerial upgrade is needed but also just as important is upgrading the cable. Ideally with no breaks/splitters in it so it goes straight to the back of the tv.
    The cable should be good as its relatively new - we have a distribution box in the loft to feed radio and TV to different rooms - I'm going to get that set up and the aerial feeding the box all checked out.

Re the wifi - the signal shown on the tv is normally quite good but it often fails to connect. When I tested it the other day, it was in a room with very good wifi signal and still refused to connect - this is the same room that it was in when I updated the firmware so why it doesn't want to connect now is beyond me.

Slowly narrowing it all down...

Master
    Right tv is all sorted - something to do with 4g interference, maybe some noise on the signal etc. Anyway a couple of bits and cables and tune check later and the picture looks fabulous! Signal quality and strength both in the high 90's. Pretty happy with that.

Wifi in that room seems patchy so will have to sort now - will try changing channel first...

The latest in a long list of Freeview and spectrum management cockups...

https://ukfree.tv/maps/4g

I know, instead of planning it all out in advance, let's make it up as we go along and force everyone to buy new Freeview boxes and aerials every 5 years whilst we fiddle about...