closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A couple of tritium Subs

A couple of tritium Subs

With the recent arrival of a Panerai Submersible, I thought it would be a good time to take a picture of my two Subs together. Both have tritium dials but that is pretty much where the similarities end...

The Rolex is a 1680 Red Sub from 1973 with a Mark VI feet first dial. I've posted a number of photos of this one whilst I have owned it so won't bore you with many more but it is currently residing on a Hodinkee strap, which I think works well...

The Panerai is a 25, D serial from 2001. I had been looking at 535s for a while because I love the hobnail dial but wasn't a huge fan of the colour of the luminova on the dial and ultimately decided that something wasn't quite right about the 42mm size so turned my attention towards the 25 instead.

The earlier A-C serial 25s had a smooth bezel without the minute increments from 0-15 but I think the bezel looks too plain without them. However, the later versions (from H serial onwards) have luminova dials and hands and I wanted to find a tritium dial in order to get a bit of real patina instead of the faux patina that Panerai seem to be using on a number of their recent offerings. That meant hunting down one of the "transitional" models with the best of both worlds in my eyes.

A bit of research suggested that the tritium in the hands on older Panerais is notoriously bad for flaking and many were replaced with luminova as an "upgrade" during servicing. Some look like a horrendous mismatch to my eyes and if mine have been changed at any stage then the colour match is pretty spot on at the moment!

Here are a few more photos under different lighting and on different straps...

I've previously owned a 111 and, whilst I did really like it, I didn't find myself wearing it that often. I think it may have been a combination of the weight of the watch and the fact that the dial was quite plain. With the 25 being titanium instead of stainless steel and the hobnail dial giving a bit more visual interest, it may last a bit longer in my collection (but who knows...!)

I'm still trying to find the perfect strap for it and prefer OEM style to big chunky things so would be great to hear if anyone has any suggestions.

Also, I'm always a sucker for a tritium dial so if anyone fancies adding pics of their tritium Subs to the thread, then please feel free!

All the best,

Paul

Craftsman
    Stunning watches, thanks for sharing!

Nice 168. Same vintage as mine

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

OMG guys! Those 1680s!! To die for. Enjoy wearing the Panny.

I share the OP's affection for tritium dials. Used to own a PAM 24 C series Submersible with beautiful patina on dial and hands but I've always been hesitant about wearing a 44mm PAM on my pretty skinny wrist.

So I traded it as part of a deal for.... a tritium dial Submariner!

Thanks guys!

Andy - The insert on yours is great! I need one like it (or at the very least to source a decent tritium pip for mine!)

Paul - This thread needs photos of both of yours! I'd also be interested in what strap options you went with for the 24C if you get a chance?

All the best,

Paul

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I am a ho for tritium. Lovely examples there. I didn't know that panerai trit was known for degrading.

Master
    Loving the panerai. Interesting collection is there any other tritium watches you are after?

Thanks again!

Celia - A quick search for "tritium hands cracking" on Paneristi sadly tells you all you need to know!

Troy - These two are only part of the collection. Here's a (poor!) photo showing the other "main" pieces in it, taken before the Panerai arrived...

I didn't have the choice of tritium with the PanoInverse or the Hulk! Neither did I with the Patek (although I did choose a rarer model in the 3712).

I was going to say I would always go for tritium given the choice but ironically more of the 16520 Daytonas were made with tritium dials and yet I went for the only version that had a luminova dial! That was, however, again down to the rarity factor and the fact that I wanted the SEL bracelet, which was only added to the later models too.

To answer your question, I would love to add a vintage Zenith A386 El Primero and a blue Tudor Snowflake to the collection. I seem to have missed the boat on finding decent versions of either at reasonable prices but that won't stop me looking!

All the best,

Paul

Love the PAM 25, the older pams are absolutely better.

And the rest aren't shabby either! Tho I'd say too many Rolex ;)

Here's mine, although one isn't an actual Sub ...

Pam 199 Sub

Seadweller

Blue snowflake

Last edited by hhhh; 11th August 2016 at 13:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Here's mine, although one isn't an actual Sub ...

Blue snowflake

Does she miss me mate ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    Thanks again!

Celia - A quick search for "tritium hands cracking" on Paneristi sadly tells you all you need to know!
    I had a peruse on my lunch break. Blimey. That's a real shame.
    Wonder if there are any manufacture differences between the panerai variant and other concoctions of trit. I would've assumed same chemical structures.
    Last edited by verv; 11th August 2016 at 18:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Does she miss me mate ;)
    She said "Aaron who?"

That's showbiz mate.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Blue snowflake

The bezel insert is to die for .... WOW !!!!

Craftsman
    Stunning 1680 red .... the dial is truly beautiful !!!!