closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things - No Spoilers Please

Stranger Things - No Spoilers Please

Three episodes in and it's absolutely brilliant.

Anyone else seen / watching it?

i believe the phrase is "i binge watched" the whole season over 2 days while i was on the sofa with knackered knee. loved it, best thing i have watched in a long time and hope they do the 2nd season soon.
    I would liken it to the goonies meets the x files with a splash of super 8 thrown in for good measure. the cinematography, sound track & sets created a near perfect 80s feel and the writting was superb.

i dont know how you would find it but if you liked this you may want to track down an 8 episope series called The Lost Room. another fantastic little mini series.
    Last edited by deerworrier; 19th August 2016 at 23:28.

Where can it be seen? Sounds promising.

Found the Netflix trailer - possibly contains small spoilers?

https://youtu.be/XWxyRG_tckY

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Where can it be seen? Sounds promising.
    I have Plex TV and it's on there. Also available on Showbix. It's a Netflix original series if that helps.

Master
    We loved it really superb.

Just watched the first episode, and thought it was superb. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Craftsman
    It's great. Eleven is awesome and I just found out she's British. Good to see Winona in non shoplifting related activities too....

Brilliant- being an 80s kid, felt very nostalgic.

Craftsman
    Limited myself to two per night as it is brilliant. Cast is very very strong and the story line is so captivating.

Love the intro music, takes me right back to my childhood. Bring on the second season!

Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    Limited myself to two per night as it is brilliant.

I can understand how that would be difficult.

Thank goodness for this thread, guiding me to a superb show that otherwise I would have missed

Master
    Unfortunately I watched the first 3 and then gave up. My wife devoured the remainder in two further sittings, how I do not know.

If you have never seen E.T., The Goonies, Close Encounters, The Thing, Chronicle, Super 8 or indeed The Breakfast Club then you'll probably think it's original and brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Unfortunately I watched the first 3 and then gave up. My wife devoured the remainder in two further sittings, how I do not know.

If you have never seen E.T., The Goonies, Close Encounters, The Thing, Chronicle, Super 8 or indeed The Breakfast Club then you'll probably think it's original and brilliant.
    Actually I think it's brilliant because of the nostalgia rather than the originality.

Awesome - my wife and I loved it. There are a lot of homages in the show and its got a great 80's feel to it.

The girl that plays Elle is brilliant as is the local police Chief Hop - last saw him being a bad CIA boss in Quantum of Solace!

Great ending too - Netflix nailed it with this one.

JP

Finished it a few weeks ago, just superb. It gets better and better the further you get into it. The kids steal the show for the acting quality.

I believe it's the most binge watched show on Netflix at the moment.

Master
    I need to jump on this. Is it one to watch with the other half?

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I need to jump on this. Is it one to watch with the other half?
    Yes, it's a good story if you like Sci-fi

Master
    Blog Entries
    Regards Referrals to super 8, I thought it was absolute garbage.

Loved it, watched it all over five days.
    Soundtrack out in two parts over the next month or so. Streaming on Apple Music now and on cd soon

Just watched episode four - totally hooked, it's amazing!

I really enjoyed watching this and also binge watched over 3 days.

As much as I liked it and I'm a kid of the 80s I really don't get the amazing/fantastic/awesome type comments. A good watch yes but the high praise. Really?

Thanks to the rubbish weather I got to episode 6 in one sitting yesterday, a great watch. As we have more crap weather today, I will probably do the next 6.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    As much as I liked it and I'm a kid of the 80s I really don't get the amazing/fantastic/awesome type comments. A good watch yes but the high praise. Really?
    It has a subtle brilliance somewhat like early Tarantino movies in many ways, for example the taxi scene from Pulp Fiction. It's not as unoriginal as some detractors have suggested (really, if you extrapolate things far enough there are no original stories), but it is crammed full of homages and references. The important thing is it doesn't shove them in your face like an episode of Family Guy. Instead, it captures the "feel" of the 80s perfectly.

Also as a sci-fi fan I think the story was both more original and more internally consistent than nearly all TV & film "sci-fi" that's come out in the last 20-ish years, most of which is more fantasy than real sci-fi. OK it's really sci-fi horror and not strictly "hard" sci-fi, but the sci-fi elements aren't just a McGuffin. I also have some theories about some deeper aspects to the story, which I won't go into, partly because spoilers and partly because I hope they expand on it in the next season. However, it does make you think, which is the hallmark of good sci-fi. If you want a pointer without spoilers or a definitive answer, ask yourself, where did the monster come from?

I started watching it again from the start and so far my favourite scene is the one involving the Millennium Falcon. I am 99% certain they just did that to mess with Star Wars fans, especially the toy collectors. It's "meta" on a whole different level than anything that has been done before and the attention to detail is incredible. Watch it again and you'll spot things you didn't even notice before. That's what makes it not just quite good, but brilliant. There's a lot more going on than it appears on the surface, so if you just take it on face value, you're missing a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Thanks to the rubbish weather I got to episode 6 in one sitting yesterday, a great watch. As we have more crap weather today, I will probably do the next 6.
    You may be disappointed when you get to episode 9 I'm afraid.

Master
    I keep hearing great things about it, and I think I'll start it tonight.
    Is the horror element too strong?

Alex

Craftsman
    Absolutely superb, I couldn't fault it and I can't wait for season 2.
    The title credits and music are fantastic too and I think I found the creators inspiration:

https://youtu.be/jxz0CljLrb0
    Last edited by Cinch; 20th August 2016 at 11:07.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandr0s View Post
    Is the horror element too strong?
    Not really, it has the odd jump-scare, but it doesn't have any of the sort of intense claustrophobia, psychological terror or outright brutality of a "real" horror film. The overall pacing is more like a fairly easygoing Stephen King adaptation. It's more of a mystery-thriller, even though technically it's a sci-fi horror because that's what the plot revolves around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    Absolutely superb, I couldn't fault it and I can't wait for season 2.
    The title credits and music are fantastic too and I think I found the creators inspiration:

https://youtu.be/jxz0CljLrb0
    That's surprisingly close actually, I wasn't expecting that. That said, they took inspiration from lots of different sources, and stuff like this was pretty common in the 80s. The 808 is itself pretty quintessentially 80s and has had lasting influence on electronic music.

This in some ways is what is so good about the way they've incorporated all these 80s references. Everyone will point to something and say "look, this is where they stole that from". Except, the chances are that two people will give you a different original source, because there is no single original source. A lot of people will say the intro is based on The Terminator, for example.

There's also a whole genre of music called synthwave, which is modern music heavily inspired by people like John Carpenter, Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis and especially 80s analogue synth soundtracks. The ST soundtrack was composed by a fairly obscure synthwave group called S U R V I V E (if you search on Spotify you must include the spaces or you'll get something else). The Duffer Brothers used one of their tracks when they pitched the idea to Netflix. After they got the green light, they asked the band to do the score for real.

For anyone that liked the Stranger Things score, I would suggest checking out bands like Gunship (who have several more videos on Youtube), Lazerhawk and Carpenter Brut, to name a few of the best-known.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    A lot of people will say the intro is based on The Terminator, for example.

For anyone that liked the Stranger Things score, I would suggest checking out bands like Gunship (who have several more videos on Youtube), Lazerhawk and Carpenter Brut, to name a few of the best-known.
    Ah yes Terminator, I can see that. I love the sound, I'll check out some of your suggestions.

Journeyman
    love it! cant wait for the 2nd season.

Master

There's also a whole genre of music called synthwave, which is modern music heavily inspired by people like John Carpenter, Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis and especially 80s analogue synth soundtracks. The ST soundtrack was composed by a fairly obscure synthwave group called S U R V I V E (if you search on Spotify you must include the spaces or you'll get something else). The Duffer Brothers used one of their tracks when they pitched the idea to Netflix. After they got the green light, they asked the band to do the score for real.
    Well there are quite a lot of genuine tracks from that era as well , Tangerine Dream crops up a few times as does New Order ( Elegia).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Well there are quite a lot of genuine tracks from that era as well , Tangerine Dream crops up a few times as does New Order ( Elegia).
    Dammit! I meant to say "score" not sountrack.

But yes, it is very good and they are supposedly putting a CD together. Most of it is on Spotify but not a certain Peter Gabriel cover of a Bowie song, which I'm hoping will get added because of this. I've deliberately avoided naming the track directly, because it could be a spoiler of sorts - the scene where it is used is IMO, more powerful for not having heard that version before, but still recognising it.

Dammit! I meant to say "score" not sountrack.

But yes, it is very good and they are supposedly putting a CD together. Most of it is on Spotify but not a certain Peter Gabriel cover of a Bowie song, which I'm hoping will get added because of this. I've deliberately avoided naming the track directly, because it could be a spoiler of sorts - the scene where it is used is IMO, more powerful for not having heard that version before, but still recognising it.
    The use of that Bowie track covered by Gabriel was fantastic, a real spine tingling moment.

Grand Master
    For me it is like having the goonies as the protagonists in a Silent Hill show, it was alright in some areas, but it did excel in the nostalgia and is far and away the most 80s feeling thing that i've seen made outside of the early 80s!

Master
    Brilliant series, watched it in about 3 days, it works on so many levels. Really enjoyed it, and already a 2nd season is planned

Master
    Just watched up to episode three with the wife. To say she's not a horror fan would be an understatement but she loved it too! As an eighties child it is twanging all the right strings... especially as an eighties kid who was in the states at around the ages of the kids.

Just finished episide 3, good so far.
    The 80's synthy soundtrack/score is reminding me of 'Drive'

Brighty

Drive had an awful soundtrack imo. Stranger Things is much more appealing.

Really looking forward to series 2 of this. Really well casted and acted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post

I really liked the 'Real Hero' track in drive by College/Electric Youth, it's that vibe i'm getting from stranger things
    Not referring to Zane Lowe's re-score a couple of years ago are you? Lol

Brighty

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post

Master
    We watched it over the space of a week. My wife seemed to really enjoy it but I wasn't that fussed by it. I'm a child of the 80s so it was nostalgic but that sort of sci-fi horror type thing just isn't for me. There was also one element of the story line that was too close to home for me. I won't spoil it for anyone but it's to do with the Police officers experience in the last few episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Tangerine Dream did the score for Firestarter by Stephen King as well which sure is a deliberate nod... and they scored Legend I believe as well tying in Bowie, the 80's and monster/fantasy films...

Craftsman
    That's surprisingly close actually, I wasn't expecting that. That said, they took inspiration from lots of different sources, and stuff like this was pretty common in the 80s. The 808 is itself pretty quintessentially 80s and has had lasting influence on electronic music.

This in some ways is what is so good about the way they've incorporated all these 80s references. Everyone will point to something and say "look, this is where they stole that from". Except, the chances are that two people will give you a different original source, because there is no single original source. A lot of people will say the intro is based on The Terminator, for example.

Thanks for this robt! I have enjoyed a few hours of Gunship this morning, never heard of them before. Will check out the other suggestions too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    Tangerine Dream did the score for Firestarter by Stephen King as well which sure is a deliberate nod... and they scored Legend I believe as well tying in Bowie, the 80's and monster/fantasy films...
    Im pretty sure I hear "Love on a Real Train" which was used heavily in Risky Business an iconic 80s movie ( in fact I think it als appeared on the cinema marquee or as a poster somewhere in one episode. Also the track "Poland" was in there too somewhere.

Saw some really interesting theories regarding what might happen in Season 2 on SFX.....

Obviously I won't declare any here as no spoilers but suffice to say looks really interesting......

Three episodes in with my wife. It's OK, but kind of like watching an eighties horror film that was made in the eighties (though I'd note that Close Encounters was from 1977).

It may be full of 'homages', but I'm not sure it stands up that well on its own terms. It's not as good as either of the Fargo series, for example which seem an obvious parallel.

Funny, I am now also 3 episodes in, and think this is possibly the best TV that I have ever seen.
    I daren't read many posts above for fear of spoiling the amazing story.

I do not have Netflix, tempted to get it for this though or wait for DVD box set.

Just finished it, and loved it for all the references to 80s movies. Gremlins, Goonies, Breakfast Club and lots of great music, too. The story is.... well it's a horror film, so why discuss story logic and all that. Not anywhere close to being the best series ever, but I liked it and am very likely going to watch the second round, too.

Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven) was fantastic, I think she has a big career in front of her.

Journeyman
    Great heads up op It's like a mix of Xfiles, Stand by Me & ET, very quirky. Not sure how they are gonna make series 2 "fit", but looking forward to see what they do with it.
    http://release-date.info/tv-series/s...te-4893004832/

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Three episodes in with my wife. It's OK, but kind of like watching an eighties horror film that was made in the eighties (though I'd note that Close Encounters was from 1977).

It may be full of 'homages', but I'm not sure it stands up that well on its own terms. It's not as good as either of the Fargo series, for example which seem an obvious parallel.

Well we stuck with it, and it did get a lot better - very enjoyable overall.