closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Portable power banks

Portable power banks

Has anyone got first hand experience of the budget portable power banks that are available on ebay?

A example would be one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100000mAh-...-/222178825472

I have a few long haul flights coming up and such a device would be useful for me...assuming they're any good that is :)

Thanks in advance guys.

No experience of the ebay ones. But I have an Anker one that is really good.

100000mAh?

Unconvinced.

I've had one of these for the last couple of years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it works very well indeed.

Allows me to get about 10-15 hours film watching on my Nexus 6 with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    No experience of the ebay ones. But I have an Anker one that is really good.
    Me too - I expect would get 3-4 charges from mine of an iPhone but have only every needed one. To be fair I have a smaller one as a giveaway from a trade show which does work but for anything important I would always take the Anker.

I have this model Anker Astro E1 5200mAh which is a bargain 11.99 on Amazon at the moment.

Master
    There is a huge choice of these powerbanks, but one aspect that never seems to be mentioned in the ads is how long it takes to charge up the powerbank itself. I'd like one that not only has good capacity, but that comes with some sort of fast charger so that it doesn't take endless hours to charge.

Master
    After some internet research these were very highly rated and I have found it to be very useful and would recommend.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XIAOMI-1000...omi+power+bank

These are great. They're pocket-sized and not too heavy, and they'll recharge your phone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Power.../dp/B005QI1A8C

Just buy a named brand from Amazon - you never know what you are getting from chinese no-names on ebay - the capacity is often made-up.

Go for this one - it will also jump start your car

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Annke-Mini...cAAOSwepJXbPIv

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    This one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Power...rtable+charger

Very good and £30 on prime at the moment.

I am going out on a limb here and betting that the ebay on is nowhere near 100000mAh. Reading the blurb it states that it can charge an iPhone 6 four times, whereas the Anker 20100mAh unit can (and has - i have done it!) recharge it around seven times.
    Last edited by rico; 18th August 2016 at 16:00.

Dont spent more than 12£
    Thank me later

Depends what you want to charge i have the amazon one 23ah charges an ipad air almost twice the smaller ones are ok for phones , i would avoid the ebay ones

Master
    I use them a lot, as I often travel and camp so without power for periods of time.
    I've had cheap ones in the past and not been impressed.
    Now the owner of 2 Anker ones and another who's make escapes me but wasn't that cheap but I was desperate, and can't fault them also have Anker solar panels to recharge the power banks when camping etc.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Dont spent more than 12£
    Thank me later
    This is my favourite post in the thread - five punctuation/spelling errors in a seven/eight-word response.

I have a cheap one about the size of a thick credit card, and it's got me out of trouble a few times, but I've only used it in emergencies. It just sits in my bag.

Anything by Anker, good quality bits of kit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    Anything by Anker, good quality bits of kit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Thanks guys.

I actually have a Bluetooth Speaker from Anker, and the quality is great, so it looks like this is the sensible way forward.

Cheers for the guidance.

I also have an ANKER one and it's brilliant. Up to six charges and does Iphone and Ipad too

Banned
    They're helpful and fun. Depends howmany charges you want, I think I have a 20,000 one... that's fine for me.

I like Anker products, but for entertainment on a long haul flight the OP will need a reasonably high capacity and I've yet to find one of their products to beat the power bank linked at post #3 in terms of VFM.

In order not to limit the charge rate, you need to use a decent cable and I see that Anker offer a wide range to suit many devices: link.

Banned
    I bought this one a year ago, its heavy but powerful with dual ports for phone or ipad, yes it takes time to charge because its powerful.
    that's the advantage of Amazon you can read reviews and see star ratings.

I only use it in the house now after buying a smaller, lighter but much less powerful one from SC, which is ideal for travel.

I also carry a sled for my phone in my bike tank bag after ending up in French A and E with a phone rapidly running down and needing to call my travel insurance etc.
    its much easier to use than a power bank with a lead and gives me at least one full top up.

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    I bought this one a year ago, its heavy but powerful with dual ports for phone or ipad, yes it takes time to charge because its powerful.
    that's the advantage of Amazon you can read reviews and see star ratings.

But read what the seller says with caution. In this case:

Highest output in the market, featuring a 4.5A total output capable of simultaneously charging 2 tablets, making it faster and more powerful than the rest.

Whereas the one at post #3 offers:

3 USB ports avaiable (2.4A for iPad, 2A for Samsung phones, 1A for iPhone), it enables you to charge 3 devices simultaneously.

To me; 2.4 + 2 +1 = 5.4 and that is greater than 4.5!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post

Highest output in the market, featuring a 4.5A total output capable of simultaneously charging 2 tablets, making it faster and more powerful than the rest.

3 USB ports avaiable (2.4A for iPad, 2A for Samsung phones, 1A for iPhone), it enables you to charge 3 devices simultaneously.

it has 2 ports 2.4 and 2.1

I am not up on the technical but it works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post

It probably limits the output if you have three devices attached at the same time, so will only trickle charge three devices.

I have one of these bought in 2012 that is still going strong.

And also a couple of Anker similar things that are also good.

Edited to add that this line in the description of the OP's link wouldn't fill me with confidence.

"DON’T GIVE US NEGATIVE FEEDBACK BEFORE YOU CONTACT US! PLEASE READ THE FULL DESCRIPTION BEFORE YOU BUY. WE WILL FIND A SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM!!"
    Last edited by MurrayMint; 19th August 2016 at 15:24.

Lasts for ages. Bit of a pig to get in the overhead locker, mind..

Cheers,

Plug

Most flights have use sockets on the chair now, charge you phone from that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    This has been my experience, just take a usb cable

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Best check before you fly: In-Seat Power Ports...note what they say. Amongst other tips:

Will there be enough power for my device? How many watts can it handle?

Most airplane AC and DC power systems are limited to approximately 75 watts of power draw per seat. This means a 17" laptop with a power-hungry processor might not get enough juice to operate...

Power ports may be shut off when the plane is flying below 10,000 feet, so make sure to save your work frequently!

Will my laptop battery charge while I'm plugged in?

Don't count on it. Again, because of the limited amount of power draw per seat, it is possible that your laptop won't get enough power to both operate and charge. Some airlines specifically say battery charging is not allowed and ask you to remove your rechargeable battery

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    This is my favourite post in the thread - five punctuation/spelling errors in a seven/eight-word response.

I have a cheap one about the size of a thick credit card, and it's got me out of trouble a few times, but I've only used it in emergencies. It just sits in my bag.
    Excuse me
    English is my third language
    I'll take 50

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Looks like it can also charge your table ;)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

I bought a similar item from COSTCO, which was fully-charged, and wouldn't start my pal's 1200cc motorbike. Unusual for something from Costco to be poor, so maybe it was because the bike's battery was totally-goosed - that it failed to start?

Make sure you get a power bank with 2a output(s) to charge the latest iPads etc.

Al

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    100000mAh?

Unconvinced.

I've had one of these for the last couple of years

And it works very well indeed.

Allows me to get about 10-15 hours film watching on my Nexus 6 with no problem.
    I have the same one, purchased on an Amazon deal of the day. It's been great, the only downside is the size and weight but it's fine for taking on a plane,camping etc. I just wouldn't be carrying it around all the time

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...ob_neva_mobile

Great power bank with the added bonus of digital display .

I have a few anker things and are generally very happy with them. The battery packs are very cheap for what they are and getting cheaper /more powerful all the time. They are great for travelling. I doubt you'll be disappointed .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Another recommendation for Anker from Amazon from me. Also had good experience with Tecknet, also from Amazon. Would avoid anything unbranded from Ebay as likely to be cheap tat.

Great little gadgets for camping or just for a train journey where my damn iPhone will be down to about 30% by the time I reach my destination at 9am.... :)

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    It probably limits the output if you have three devices attached at the same time, so will only trickle charge three devices...
    You're right, I emailed them and their reply tells me the total output from the EC Technology 22400mAh Power Bank is limited to 3 A.

On that basis (and size/weight) I ended up going for the RAVPower 16750mAh with "4.5 A Output and iSmart Technology".

at work we hand out 5200mah Huaweii 4G mifi / powerbank combined boxes - super handy for the price and we use Sonys so the batteries last ages anyway

if you're out in the field you may want one of these:

http://www.lastree.kr/index_eng/s3/s3_1.php

Another recommendation for the Anker external battery pack, I have the E7 26,000 Mah and can't fault it but it does take a long time to charge up but lasts for ages.

One note, some airlines are bit funny with the larger external battery packs and I think there is a limit of 100 watt hours but not sure, the E7 is 96 so falls under this limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdaniels View Post
    Another recommendation for the Anker external battery pack, I have the E7 26,000 Mah and can't fault it but it does take a long time to charge up but lasts for ages.

One note, some airlines are bit funny with the larger external battery packs and I think there is a limit of 100 watt hours but not sure, the E7 is 96 so falls under this limit.
    I've never had any trouble with my battery packs through hand carry, I just make sure they have a bit of charge so you can turn them on and get an led indicator to illuminate.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Journeyman
    I've got 4 in the house, two from Xiaomi, 1 anker and 1 tiny (and useless) no name brand. The Anker is big, heavy and takes a full 16+ hours to top up (infact when on travels with it in India I never managed to fully top it up even over 36 hours!). I use it for topping up the Xiaomi ones. One Xiaomi is older and short and stubby. It can recharge a OnePlus One battery 2 and a bit times. The other is newer, and longer and slimmer (higher capacity as well) design. It can charge my iphone 6s plus 3 and a bit times and auto stops charging when my phone gets to 100%.
    If I was buying again, I'd get another Xiaomi without a second thought.