closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rolex to go up 10% on September 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Evad3 View Post
    Currently camping outside my local AD for the midnight price increase launch party, rumour has it they have a BLNR stashed away in the safe. No sign of any movement in the dark store, I don't see why the staff would go home? but I guess they need to freshen up before the event. Or maybe they're on lockdown like in the movie 'The Purge' because there's gonna be some upset people on waiting lists out for revenge.

Hope I don't get mugged.
    Haha!

Seriously though, if AD's aren't given any advance warning of an increase, how on earth do they organise themselves for the morning after such an increase to update their stock? There was mention on another forum that ADs are generally given a couple of days warning, but from what some have said on this thread, ADs are equally clueless.

Would seem a little harsh for Rolex not to give their ADs a heads-up.

Master
    Quoting Haywood from the August Rolex increase thread (which didn't happen by the way :) )

If it were to happen tomorrow, surely we would have a confirmation by now?

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Those who would need to know in order to revise the individual prices have not been instructed yet, which is why I know it cannot now be 1st August.

The criteria which make the certainty of it coming before long remain just as pressing.

One contact put it to me that Rolex only ever change prices on the 1st of the month, which of course need not be the case but does prove historically to have been so when I look back at nine price adjustments since October 2006.

1st September thus has a target on its back at Milton Towers.

Haywood

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Quoting Haywood from the August Rolex increase thread (which didn't happen by the way :) )

There has been no whisper today.....

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post

Yup, they would have notification by now and we would have heard a from a reliable source by now (either on here or on Rolex forums). So it's looking unlikely there will be one tomorrow IMO.

Craftsman
    Going via Heathrow next week, was hoping it wouldn't happen just in case there's something there with my name on!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    I was in Lister Horsfall in Ilkley today and the main guy there said that the price increase was first aired to him by Rolex at Baselworld and is coming in September. Apparently they were waiting to see what happened with the Brexit vote and that's left them with issues of watches being cheaper than in the US and Europe due to the exchange rate. He seemed pretty certain and I had no reason to doubt.

Edit: I didn't ask him about the price increase, he mentioned it to me
    Nobody knows. No-one. Not a single soul. Not Dave the sales bloke, Sandra the receptionist or Silly Sally the cleaner. Rolex UK themselves don't find out until a few days before it's announced here, and historically, as has been said, the 1st of a month is the date the prices are rolled out., Therefore notice would theoretically have to have been given by today, and it doesn't appear to have been.

Master
    Passed through T5 tonight, no steel sports models to be seen.

I'm thinking about setting my alarm for midnight to check this has happened. Just one problem, which time zone will be the midnight be set to?

Rolex increase watch

00:12 - No price increase

Have we got the year right?!

Blog Entries
    Given exchange rate changes, it's quite surprising that the prices have not been adjusted by now.

Perhaps Rolex are waiting to see if exchange rates alter again (in either direction). This would not be unlikely imo. It is also worth considering that Rolex may be happy with massively accelerated sales within the UK for the time being. It's not like it's losing them any money.

Someone over on TRF claims to have purchased 4 pieces yesterday as he was told of an increase today. I wonder if he will be somewhat disappointed if this hasn't happened and he was lied to by a speculating AD.

Master
    Someone's taking the piss over in Rolexland.

I think and hope for his sake that he is but no doubt there will be people out there who swallow the AD speculation and panic buy. It's really not that surprising there is no increase if volume is up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well that's that, shall we all start getting exited by the iPhone's 7th coming?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Well that's that, shall we all start getting exited by the iPhone's 7th coming?
    Now we can all enjoy the 1st October thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    It's really not that surprising there is no increase if volume is up.
    One needs to take a wider, world view as Rolex does. Sales here have increased only because our currency has recently devalued against many others and so Rolexes here, until prices change, are effectively very cheap for alien buyers. Internationally, no more watches are sold but the return to Geneva in Swiss Francs is lower.

I'm not an AD. I'm still saying a price rise is a certainty and if betting would double my stake with each month that passes.

Haywood

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Now we can all enjoy the 1st October thread
    Not so fast. 3rd September has been touted by Mappin & Webb in Regent Street. Whilst history tells us the 3rd of the month is unlikely, we do live in unusual times.

One needs to take a wider, world view as Rolex does. Sales here have increased only because our currency has recently devalued against many others and so Rolexes here, until prices change, are effectively very cheap for alien buyers. Internationally, no more watches are sold but the return to Geneva in Swiss Francs is lower.

I'm not an AD. I'm still saying a price rise is a certainty and if betting would double my stake with each month that passes.

Haywood
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Someone's taking the piss over in Rolexland.
    It's funny how much we actually want this increase to happen when it only really stands to benefit the likes of Haywood et al.

Or are most of us on this forum sitting on a few pieces and thinking of selling?

Haywood

I mostly agree with this Haywood, but don't you think that disregarding economic tourists for a minute, that UK Rolex sales are up anyway with all the talk of rises and the fact there is no real advantage for UK folks to shop outside the UK now ?

UK Rolex sales are up anyway with all the talk of rises and the fact there is no real advantage for UK folks to shop outside the UK now ?
    Sales won't be up for much longer unless supply is sorted out. There's nothing here of note to buy anymore. A price increase is needed to stop all this silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheripper View Post
    Sales won't be up for much longer unless supply is sorted out. There's nothing here of note to buy anymore. A price increase is needed to stop all this silliness.
    It's so true. This is what I wrote a short time ago on another thread:

'Same here. Walked past a Watch Gallery store in London and they are flooded with DJs and very little by way of SSs. It's frightening how many DJs they had and speaking briefly to the Sales Associate inside, they're not being snapped up that quickly.

I wonder how long ADs hold on to these sorts of models for until they start to flog them off to the grey market?'

It is sad though that only a price increase would see supply of greater variety of models pick up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovewatches108 View Post
    It's funny how much we actually want this increase to happen when it only really stands to benefit the likes of Haywood et al.

Or are most of us on this forum sitting on a few pieces and thinking of selling?
    It is odd, I agree. People do seem to want higher prices, which, in the longer run, will effect them. Unless they never buy again.
    The only possible reason for the delay by Rolex could be the deliberate use of the U.K. As a place to 'dump' thousands of watches without officially allowing a reduction in price. Which, if true, would suggest that Rolex does have too much stock, which it needs to sell. Once they have used& the UK as the place where the world can buy watches really cheap, they will rebalance prices.
    All sounds improbable I know, but what other explanation is there?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The only possible reason for the delay by Rolex could be the deliberate use of the U.K. As a place to 'dump' thousands of watches without officially allowing a reduction in price. Which, if true, would suggest that Rolex does have too much stock, which it needs to sell. Once they have used& the UK as the place where the world can buy watches really cheap, they will rebalance prices.
    All sounds improbable I know, but what other explanation is there?

However, the UK seems relatively short of stock!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Not short in DJs I can tell you. Every Rolex boutique I've visited over the last couple of months seem to be flooded with all variety of DJs.

Loads of Milgausses too!

Paskinner may have a point.

Craftsman
    It's all speculation at the end of the day, but they could well be enjoying the increase in sales it has inevitably caused. There's no doubt the UK is a big market for Rolex. If the margin on the increased number of watches sold is higher than the loss of revenue from the fx movement - they are cashing in. Maybe they're seeing how long it lasts before rushing to kill off the sales increase.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next man, but this is wild speculation on a magnificent scale.

I'm also not sure that the phrases 'only possible reason' and 'could be' are comfortable bed-fellows in the same sentence.

Journeyman
    THE SKY IS FALLING!

Master
    I like Paskinners thinking on this, especially in light of Richemonts recent news. It would make sense for Rolex to maintain sales, regardless of origin, so as not to spook the market by issuing a worldwide price reduction to shift (potential) over-production.

Craftsman
    Groundhog Day... ;)

3rd September.

Master
    lol at this whole thread

Can we get the October 'Rolex price increase' one started now?

Master
    It already has!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Evad3 View Post
    Currently camping outside my local AD for the midnight price increase launch party, rumour has it they have a BLNR stashed away in the safe. No sign of any movement in the dark store, I don't see why the staff would go home? but I guess they need to freshen up before the event. Or maybe they're on lockdown like in the movie 'The Purge' because there's gonna be some upset people on waiting lists out for revenge.

Hope I don't get mugged.

What did "the Big Issue" sellers make of it all?

I take my hat off to those who claim to be in the know, are consistently wrong and yet seem to feel no shame or embarrassment.

Some may call it a disability; I call being so thick-skinned a life skill. I salute you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I take my hat off to those who claim to be in the know, are consistently wrong and yet seem to feel no shame or embarrassment.

Some may call it a disability; I call being so thick-skinned a life skill. I salute you.
    Nothing unusual. Weather forecasters have been doing it for years, not to mention economists and politicians.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

My industry contact did tell me about 3 days ago that the price increase would not now be happening on September 1st-

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    My industry contact did tell me about 3 days ago that the price increase would not now be happening on September 1st-
    When did the contact say it would be happening?

Journeyman
    Oh dear. OH dear. Oh dear!

So will it happen in October now?

It would be nice if some BLNRs at list came out to play but I suspect that's wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    When did the contact say it would be happening?
    My contact said that his contact says that they're waiting for their contact to contact them about when to contact the ADs about the price rise from their contact in Geneva.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Either a) demand is outstripping supply, b) ADs are holding back stock or c) Rolex is holding back stock.

Which makes the most sense?

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Either a) demand is outstripping supply, b) ADs are holding back stock or c) Rolex is holding back stock.

Which makes the most sense?
    I think it's c), which is causing a), and consequently b) is occurring as ADs wait for a price rise, or use desirable SS sports pieces as a bargaining chip to get people to buy more than one piece (or only offering them to known customers).

My industry contact told me that the printers that do the instruction booklets for stainless steel models are unserviceable and hence ADs have been instructed not to sell anything.

Grand Master
    This reminds me of being at school............there was always one smartarse who 'knew a secret' and enjoyed telling everyone that he knew. Eventually everyone realised he was bullshitting and trying to look smarter than the rest of us, so the next time he did it he got his knackers kicked.

I met similar people at work; always claimed to know the latest rumour from a reliable source, and usually they were wrong. Sometimes wonder if these people cannot tell the difference between fact, opinion and pure conjecture, I genuinely believe there are (otherwise intelligent) people on this planet who cannot tell the difference, they hear what they want to hear.

On this occasion even the font of all Rolex knowledge, of the few people I`d take notice of, got it wrong.........If Haywood Milton doesn`t know then no f****r knows!

Posing the question on a forum like this is silly (I got called a dick for making this point....still waiting for an apology, Speedie) because no-one knows! The few people who do find out at short notice would be unwise to share the info and risk incurring the wrath of Rolex, so the chance of getting a heads-up is nil.

Anyhow, what would folks do if they did find out? Anyone thinking of buying should buy now, regardless; eventually prices will go up (but discounts may increase too?) so every day the prospective buyer delays is one day nearer the price rise. Would having this info change anyone's actions?

If I seriously wanted a sports Rolex I`d buy one now, and I`d be prepared to travel a few miles to find an AD who had one in stock. I suspect there's a 'London effect' here; if folks don`t see these watches in the London/home counties ADs they assume they're hard to source....which may or may not be true.

Paul

Master
    While wiping some egg from my face, all that others and I have done is get the exact date wrong. The logic is sound and a UK price rise remains imminent.

Thankyou for the compliment Paul.....but for the expletive I might have added that to my testimonials page!

H

Journeyman
    My industry contact told me that the printers that do the instruction booklets for stainless steel models are unserviceable and hence ADs have been instructed not to sell anything.
    Is your industry insider Ronald McDonald by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Is that the bloke that works in Goldsmiths?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

While wiping some egg from my face, all that others and I have done is get the exact date wrong. The logic is sound and a UK price rise remains imminent.
    Saying there's going to be a Rolex price rise is a bit like saying there is going to be rain in the UK.
    It might not be tomorrow or the next day, but there's definitely going to be rain.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.