timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko Avant-garde.

Master
    Blog Entries

Grand Seiko Avant-garde.

Now I finally did it.
    Couldn't resist no more.

This dark dialled Neo styled GS chrono will complement the Izul perfectly.
    Two very special chronographs.

Right now the SBGC015 will be broken in. Not quite the usual GS look. Much more hi-tech and sporty than the ordinary GS lot. Hence the term Avant-garde.

Quite happy with this newly arrived piece.
    Cheers!

The Izul is nice. I love the look of this new model but would prefer it in steel.
    Last edited by j111dja; 26th August 2016 at 23:14.

It is a good looking watch. I have one slight reservation and that is the short GMT hand. If the 2nd time zone is to be read off the bezel, the indicating hand should at least get somewhere near it (IMHO).

Master
    ^
    Are you seriously struggling to see that the hand is pointing at 16?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I assume it's that length because if you set it under the hour hand it'll be hidden.

I love the design/legibility, though agree that for me I'd prefer stainless steel.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    ^
    No but reckon it is poor design regardless. When Omega made a stubby GMT hand they put the GMT scale in the dial. I think it is poor design but YMMV

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    I assume it's that length because if you set it under the hour hand it'll be hidden.
    I don't think so, the hour hand moves twice as fast.

I suppose it depends whether you're comfortable following the direction of where the arrowhead GMT hand is pointing, or if you need the indicator to be right up by the numbers.

Master
    Well done, interesting watch. What put me off is the sheer size and bulk. 46.5mm, that is huge. I adore GS but would want this to be 42mm to make visual sense.
    Still, that is theory. How do you find it, it must be very obvious. Pity, GS are either rather conservative, or they throw a party.
    My GS has the same upgraded Spring drive. It has gained 1.5 seconds in three months. GS specs are unusually conservative.if they bring out a smaller version, I am game.
    Last edited by paskinner; 27th August 2016 at 08:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I suppose it depends whether you're comfortable following the direction of where the arrowhead GMT hand is pointing, or if you need the indicator to be right up by the numbers.
    I own a GMT and could manage without the bezel at all to be honest. If you do have a scale then I think the hand should get near it. Then again I dislike minute hands which fall short of the minute markers too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have no reservations regarding the 24h indicator (obviously) but get the point.

To me it feels like it's supposed to be a minor complication and therefore is inferior to the hour and minute hands. On the SBGC007 I previously owned, this was not the case as the 24h scale was on the dial.

^
    Not struggling, obviously, but the GMT hand looks like it's pointing at the '8' o'clock dial index. I want to see the second time zone at a glance. IMHO the GMT hand should go past (over) the dial batons to the edge of the dial and point directly at what it's supposed to point at.

I also feel the handset would look more 'balanced' with a full-length GMT hand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    No but reckon it is poor design regardless. When Omega made a stubby GMT hand they put the GMT scale in the dial. I think it is poor design but YMMV
    If you’re not struggling with it, then it’s not poor design – it’s just a different design.
    Readability is key to Seiko, for the Grand Seiko line – you’ve proven that they’ve succeeded in that regard, despite the fact that theirs differs from the one you’re more used to.
    Last edited by PJ S; 27th August 2016 at 13:48.

Master
    Readability really is a key GS design feature. It is easily seen in the several 43mm dive watches. The hands are big,ungainly even. But use the watch in poor visibility....such as sandy water..and you will find the GS is readable when, say, a DS4000 is unreadable.
    I know, because I own both, and have used both in murky water. Even the GS dress watches ,with no lume, catch every scrap of light.
    On a side note,I operated in GMT and multiple time Zones for three decades. I can't recall a single person using a watch to track zones. There are far easier ways ...

Quote Originally Posted by klockodile View Post
    I have no reservations regarding the 24h indicator (obviously) but get the point.

To me it feels like it's supposed to be a minor complication and therefore is inferior to the hour and minute hands. On the SBGC007 I previously owned, this was not the case as the 24h scale was on the dial.
    One of my favourite Seiko's ever, big buttons and all.

If you’re not struggling with it, then it’s not poor design – it’s just a different design.
    Readability is key to Seiko, for the Grand Seiko line – you’ve proven that they’ve succeeded in that regard, despite the fact that theirs differs from the one you’re more used to.
    It's poor aesthetic and functional design in my opinion. Stubby hands offend my sensibilities. To paraphrase, 'it's just a different opinion'.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Readability really is a key GS design feature. It is easily seen in the several 43mm dive watches. The hands are big,ungainly even. But use the watch in poor visibility....such as sandy water..and you will find the GS is readable when, say, a DS4000 is unreadable.
    I know, because I own both, and have used both in murky water. Even the GS dress watches ,with no lume, catch every scrap of light.
    On a side note,I operated in GMT and multiple time Zones for three decades. I can't recall a single person using a watch to track zones. There are far easier ways ...
    Such as?..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    It's poor aesthetic and functional design in my opinion. Stubby hands offend my sensibilities. To paraphrase, 'it's just a different opinion'.
    Aesthetics are a separate thing entirely – poor design is where the intended function is hard to comprehend or make use of, not about how pretty or pleasing it looks.
    Since no-one is struggling to see what the secondary time is (if set, as it looks like it’s currently in AM/PM mode), then the design clearly can’t be adjudged as poor…only different.

Aesthetics are a separate thing entirely – poor design is where the intended function is hard to comprehend or make use of, not about how pretty or pleasing it looks.
    Since no-one is struggling to see what the secondary time is (if set, as it looks like it’s currently in AM/PM mode), then the design clearly can’t be adjudged as poor…only different.
    I judge it to be poor.

Not a fan of the Grand Seiko,s I've seen so far, and I haven't looked to be honest. But I do like that apart from the size, too big for me, but great looking.
    Didn't realise it was a gmt until part way through the thread, would like it more if the hand reached right out to the edge of the dial, but not a deal breaker.

That is a magnificent watch Klockodile. The only obstacle to my owning one is paying for it. Black suits its brooding presence IMO.

I'm struggling though to recall which other manufacturer offers equal watch technology...oh that's it...there isn't one!

"Some day all watches will be made this way" ....somehow I don't think so!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    That is a magnificent watch Klockodile. The only obstacle to my owning one is paying for it. Black suits its brooding presence IMO.

I'm struggling though to recall which other manufacturer offers equal watch technology...oh that's it...there isn't one!

"Some day all watches will be made this way" ....somehow I don't think so!
    Thanks mate!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I like them too! But I think the new case demanded new buttons.
    A recent pic.

Blog Entries
    This dark dialled Neo styled GS chrono will complement the Izul perfectly.
    Very good looking! Congratulations.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I love this watch!

One day :D

Grand Seiko Avant-garde.

Congratulations, I like it as well. I would say a very harmonious design compared to some other famous GMTs.

I have to confess though that I couldn't even find the GMT hand until PJ S mentioned it was pointing at 16. That's what tiredness, long sight and colourblindness does for you.

A recent pic.
    for sure a bold new design by Seiko but I would stick tothe old case as well.

Master
    If anyone wants one of these, the five year interest free credit deals might make sense. If it were smaller, I might have been tempted. But 46.5mm is just too big.

Craftsman
    That Jura offer got me looking at grand seikos...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ukmidnite View Post
    That Jura offer got me looking at grand seikos...
    If you fancy something a little distinctive then the spring drive snowflake at £5000 is perhaps the pick of the collection. But the 'anniversary ' 109 is even more impressive. It costs £5750 but in Japan is a lot more than the snowflake, so it is well priced. Special movement too, my sample has gained one second in three months.
    These don't hold value like a Rolex, but if you want a long-term watch, then, for me, there is nothing to match them. Nothing. I am biased, but that bias is based on experience of these remarkable watches. My Rolex watches are excellent, but, in truth, the quality of the GS is just that little bit better
    I wouldn't be without either make. But the GS is the one I wear and enjoy most. Still, always a personal thing. And a big commitment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's been discussed over and over again. GS is still not a given choice for Joe who goes to the store to get his hard earned luxury timepiece, (unfortunately) there are far better positioned brands out there.
    Grand Seiko craft watches for the few, here in Europe, but that's all right.

When it comes to this specific model, I guess it's just for an even more select group. Rather high end of the line up and big.

I'm happy for you all sharing your thoughts. It means that the watch at least is not too mainstream, good or bad.

Thank you for that :)

A recent pic.
    That actually looks quite good.
    Can we have some proper pics, please?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That actually looks quite good.
    Can we have some proper pics, please?
    Of course. I tried my best at least ;)

Master
    Of course. I tried my best at least ;)

Stunning watch :)

Craftsman
    I quite like it, I can definately see the appeal. There is a lot going on in that face.

Craftsman
    I love this forum as I've never seen this watch before and it is fabulous. Too big for me personally but I will look Seiko out now when next in London so can assess the quality at this price point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Sadly, Grand Seiko do not seem to have an outlet in London, which is ridiculous. I am not sure where anyone can actually view these new models. I have briefly seen them in Lisbon, and they really are big. Given the cost, you need real commitment to buy this model, but it certainly is striking.
    If you are in the Midlands, maybe Jura have the watch to try on.