closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Moonwatch?

Craftsman

Which Moonwatch?

I'm asking this on behalf of a colleague who's not into watches but is a huge space geek. To put that into perspective, he's met many of the surviving Apollo astronauts, has their signed biographies, has samples of moon rock and asteroid slivers in his office, etc, etc. He wants to buy an Omega SpeedMaster that's as close as possible to what the astronauts wore. Putting "moonwatch" into the search box at Iconic Watches shows lots of different models, which is the one he needs? I could imagine it's the "Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005" but as this is for him quite an expensive purchase I don't want to mis-direct him! So advice from the TZ-UK collective brain would be mucho appreciated.

Are Iconic likely to have the best pricing? He's leaning towards a new watch, would consider s/h but is that a minefield best avoided? I have virtually no knowledge on this subject.

Thanks in advance.

Craftsman
    The Moonwatch is 'alright' but show him a Grey Side of the Moon, job done.

Master
    I'd go hesalite crystal without see through caseback - that's the most 'original' form of it.

If he is a nasa geek, he might appreciate one of the snoopy models. They can be expensive - but you could retro fit a snoopy dial, to save on costs.

If your mate wants a moon watch as close to what was worn at the time, he would need to source a 1969 to 1972 Speedmaster - can't get any closer than that.

What about the limited editions, plenty available covering most of the missions. Is there one in particular that he favours above the others, Apollo XI is most people's obvious or Apollo XIII, in which case he could try and get a Snoopy.

If you could be more specific we could hopefully point him in the right direction. If he just wants a bog standard moon watch point him towards Iconic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If your mate wants a moon watch as close to what was worn at the time, he would need to source a 1969 to 1972 Speedmaster - can't get any closer than that.

What about the limited editions, plenty available covering most of the missions. Is there one in particular that he favours above the others, Apollo XI is most people's obvious or Apollo XIII, in which case he could try and get a Snoopy.

If you could be more specific we could hopefully point him in the right direction. If he just wants a bog standard moon watch point him towards Iconic.
    +1

If he's an Apollo XI nut then he might prefer the 321 movement rather than the 861. And to buy the Moonwatch Only book as well!

Master

Umm not true. The models produced 1969-1972 had the 861 movement and in reality have more in common with the latest new model than what came before. If you want a watch exactly the same spec as those worn on the moon you need the previous 321 movement model, produced from 1966-1968 (105.012 and 145.012) these are now mega bucks and start at £5K for a basket case. The 861 models weren't issued by NASA until the mid 70s AFAIK.

Craftsman
    He's met Jim Lovell and Alan Bean (twice), but I don't think there are any specific missions that he favours. I think what he's after is the current model in the range that's closest in design and function to what flew back in the day. Maybe I wasn't clear, I was looking for confirmation of which model that actually is in the current line-up.

Some of the limited editions are nice but I think will be out of budget.

Quote Originally Posted by trainspanner View Post
    The Moonwatch is 'alright' but show him a Grey Side of the Moon, job done.
    Isn't that the ceramic case? That'd be rejected as too far from the originals, let alone the price!

311.30.42.30.01.005 is what he needs. Still flight qualified by NASA and favoured by many astronauts.

Master
    In that case, just get as clean a 3570.50 or the more recent and near identical 311.30.42.30.01.005 as possible as these are the modern descendants of the NASA watches and to all intents and purposes the same as the watch introduced in 1968. He may as well buy new since there isn't a lot to be saved or much to be gained by going older. The pre 97 have nice tritium dials and back in the early 70s a nice stepped dial was still in use and different casebacks but none of these will fall much below £2K and a new one is circa £2700 from Iconic so you may as well go new and get a warranty
    Last edited by Padders; 23rd September 2016 at 12:22.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    311.30.42.30.01.005 is what he needs. Still flight qualified by NASA and favoured by many astronauts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    In that case, just get as clean a 3570.50 or the more recent and near identical 311.30.42.30.01.005 as possible as these are the modern descendants of the NASA watches and to all intents and purposes the same as the watch introduced in 1968. He may as well buy new since there isn't a lot to be saved or much to be gained by going older. The pre 97 have nice tritium dials and back in the early 70s a nice stepped dial was still in use and different casebacks but none of these will fall much below £2K and a new one is circa £2700 from Iconic so you may as well go new and get a warranty
    Perfect, thank you!

Journeyman

30th anniversary edition

If he does go used and wants something a little bit different, the 30th anniversary model looks like a standard Moonwatch from the front, but has a slightly different case back - http://www.fratellowatches.com/speed...ion-from-1999/. Fairly easy to find.

Master
    There is more to space than just the moon.....

How's about a moon to Mars......😎

Lucky chap to be able to throw almost £3k at something he isn't really interested in.

You've come to the right place for advice though.

Craftsman
    ^^^
    Unlike most on here he's not interested in watches per se, but he's very interested in this watch because of its history. I'm sure he'll love and appreciate it.

maybe as a follow up suggest the recent Bulova moonwatch reissue as well?

Slightly deviating from moon, to space, a Russian Strela as well?

Master
    Or a pogue? Much cheaper ways to have some space heritage than a moon watch :) (even if the moon watch is cooler :p)

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    ^^^
    Unlike most on here he's not interested in watches per se, but he's very interested in this watch because of its history. I'm sure he'll love and appreciate it.
    Best get him to read this: link. If that sparks an interest in older models, point him to www.speedmaster101.com...and tell him to start saving hard.

If he has a smaller wrist be sure that he tries one on before he buys. Most larger shopping centres will have a Goldsmith's / Ernest Jones / Beaverbrook's with one in stock.

The end pieces of the modern bracelet over hang my 6.75" wrist and the lug to lug is substantial too.

It's a watch I've always liked but I look like a 10-year wearing his dad's watch it looks so comically large on the bracelet.

Older ones on here are definitely below £2000, especially if you're not bothered about box and papers. The new ones are dearer mostly through a combination of marketing and packaging. If his interest is really in the Moon stuff then I just wouldn't pay the premium as the watch itself is unchanged from the 90's to the disinterested, and probably even longer from the casual observer. Warranty isn't worth much as nearly everyone can service a 1861 or 861.

Cheers

David

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    If he has a smaller wrist be sure that he tries one on before he buys. Most larger shopping centres will have a Goldsmith's / Ernest Jones / Beaverbrook's with one in stock.

The end pieces of the modern bracelet over hang my 6.75" wrist and the lug to lug is substantial too.

It's a watch I've always liked but I look like a 10-year wearing his dad's watch it looks so comically large on the bracelet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post

Have to agree. I've both the new, and old bracelet. And the new one just looks daft on my wrist wheras the older one is just perfect (6.75" wrist roughly)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Downing View Post
    Older ones on here are definitely below £2000, especially if you're not bothered about box and papers. The new ones are dearer mostly through a combination of marketing and packaging. If his interest is really in the Moon stuff then I just wouldn't pay the premium as the watch itself is unchanged from the 90's to the disinterested, and probably even longer from the casual observer. Warranty isn't worth much as nearly everyone can service a 1861 or 861.

Cheers

David
    So buy an old one for around £2K which may very soon need a service at near £500 or buy a brand new one for £2650 with 2 year warranty and probably wont need work for 7-8 years? This is why I said it didn't make a lot of sense to buy second hand, unless you really must have tritium or are looking for an early 70s straight writing or LE.

Im sure that the OP will notice that your worst case scenario is still cheaper second hand. The last time we had a no frills, not repackaged Speedy on here it went for £1600. The last time I had a speedy serviced by an independent, admittedly 3 years ago, it wasn't even £300. And as the person in question doesn't even bother with watches, he may b happy with an unserviced watch and pocket a grand for his next trip to NASA. But the new one has a nice box. And stuff.

DD

So buy an old one for around £2K which may very soon need a service at near £500 or buy a brand new one for £2650 with 2 year warranty and probably wont need work for 7-8 years? This is why I said it didn't make a lot of sense to buy second hand, unless you really must have tritium or are looking for an early 70s straight writing or LE.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Have to agree. I've both the new, and old bracelet. And the new one just looks daft on my wrist wheras the older one is just perfect (6.75" wrist roughly)
    Have you tried it on a strap and if so how well does it fit you hafle?

I don't want to pay the premium for a vintage one and the grey market prices are appealing if I just take the bracelet off. The Speedy Pro is one of the few watches where it looked so good buying it wouldn't even be a decision if only it fitted me.

Master
    Im sure that the OP will notice that your worst case scenario is still cheaper second hand. The last time we had a no frills, not repackaged Speedy on here it went for £1600. The last time I had a speedy serviced by an independent, admittedly 3 years ago, it wasn't even £300. And as the person in question doesn't even bother with watches, he may b happy with an unserviced watch and pocket a grand for his next trip to NASA. But the new one has a nice box. And stuff.

DD
    Not denying for a second that isn't cheaper me old cock. Just pointing out that I would rather pay a couple of hundred quid more to have one that works and isn't full of someone else's wrist cheese. Oh and if you want to sell me yours for £1600 today I have cash waiting. No seriously I will give you that in the blink of an eye. Interested?

Not denying for a second that isn't cheaper me old cock. Just pointing out that I would rather pay a couple of hundred quid more to have one that works and isn't full of someone else's wrist cheese. Oh and if you want to sell me yours for £1600 today I have cash waiting. No seriously I will give you that in the blink of an eye. Interested?
    A superb 1985 example just serviced has been listed on SC for less than £2k and the tritium markers look wonderful - much nicer than the new ones. I would be interested if I hadn't bought the Apollo XI panda dial last weekend. I don't think the one on SC will be up for long.

Master
    A superb 1985 example just serviced has been listed on SC for less than £2k and the tritium markers look wonderful - much nicer than the new ones. I would be interested if I hadn't bought the Apollo XI panda dial last weekend. I don't think the one on SC will be up for long.
    Yep £1950 without bracelet. Still awaiting the flood of offers to sell at £1600.

Yep £1950 without bracelet. Still awaiting the flood of offers to sell at £1600.
    It is minty fresh from a full service and a bracelet could be picked up in time. You won't find markers like that on a modern Moonwatch. I think it is a stunner.

Master
    It is minty fresh from a full service and a bracelet could be picked up in time. You won't find markers like that on a modern Moonwatch. I think it is a stunner.
    Wasnt knocking it, if you read back I did say tritium was one reason to buy an older one, was making the point that the days of the £1600 Speedy are long gone and £2k is the new baseline for pretty much all of them.
    Last edited by Padders; 23rd September 2016 at 20:17.

Craftsman
    Interesting debate on the merits of s/h vs. new! Keep it up, I'm learning!

About the size issue, good point, I will urge him to try one on first. I note it's 42mm but "wears large".

By the way, I mentioned the Bulova, that suggestion was NOT well received, lol!!

Cracking price especially considering the recent service. Sorely tempted me for a couple of minutes. :)

the days of the £1600 Speedy are long gone and £2k is the new baseline for pretty much all of them.
    Long gone - you mean Feb 2016? The one just on SC has beautiful tritium and a recent Omega service.

isn't full of someone else's wrist cheese.
    Hmm.

Master
    Long gone - you mean Feb 2016? The one just on SC has beautiful tritium and a recent Omega service.

Hmm.
    Ok so we are possibly talking at cross purposes. Enlighten me, what kind of Speedy to you think is worth £1600? Is it one the OP should be looking for?

About the size issue, good point, I will urge him to try one on first. I note it's 42mm but "wears large".
    I don't agree with this. I have had two Speedmasters and I find that the watch wears smaller than 42mm, more like a 40mm watch.

Master
    I don't agree with this. I have had two Speedmasters and I find that the watch wears smaller than 42mm, more like a 40mm watch.
    Yep I think this too but didn't say so sooner as I didn't want to look like I was arguing with everyone! I think it is actually quoted as 41mm in some literature and it is only the pusher bumpers which make it bigger than the earlier 39mm versions. Next to a Longines LLD it feels pretty small on the wrist.

I'm wearing a 40.5mm Grand Seiko right now. It has quite short lugs and it's on a leather strap which drops straight down at the lug holes whereas the Speedy Pro bracelet flares out over the wrist.

I've decided that 40mm is about my limit, though the lug to lug is important too.

I don't think the Speedy Pro wears like a 40mm; if it did I would have bought one.

I think the clear solution here is the 005 Speedy bought new from a grey dealer (£2640 ?). A great watch that would hold value even if it left the buyer cold (as they say).

I think the Strela suggested above is a slightly more interesting prospect (I have had a string of communication with the lads at Poljot24 and they seem to be a very credible and passionate outfit). I have been so close to purchasing but Im not sure how much wrist time the watch would recieved. See first image below.

Perhaps one more to consider would be one of the the Fortis Cosmonaut jobs (see second image)...

Web images;

45th anniversary

45th anniversary edition speedmaster for me

Master
    I've had loads, but to me it's simple. There is only one that is strapped to EVA suits. So, that's the one to get.

To do it properly, he will need a NASA SEB12100030 velcro strap. The closest I've found are these:
    https://www.seb12100030.com

GasGasBones also produces some nice versions:
    http://www.gasgasbones.com/ggb-goodi...raps/spv3.html

For strapping to the outside of your EVA suit:
    http://www.gasgasbones.com/ggb-goodi...trap-1193.html

Craftsman
    Thanks! He was already aware of the Velcro strap, and as I understand it has already identified a supplier. Just as well really, he doesn't like metal bracelets.

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned the Rolex GMT - it saw lots of space action.

jack swigert on Apollo 13 for example.

Plus its a much more practical watch simply because it's waterproof.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Thanks! He was already aware of the Velcro strap, and as I understand it has already identified a supplier. Just as well really, he doesn't like metal bracelets.
    ya get two nice straps with the current full Moonwatch kit, one 'NASA' nato and a nice black Omega one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I cannot believe that no one has mentioned the Rolex GMT - it saw lots of space action.

jack swigert on Apollo 13 for example.

Plus its a much more practical watch simply because it's waterproof.

+1, big time! Though, of course, if you want a REAL astronauts watch and don't mind quartz, well it's got to be X-33 :)

311.30.42.30.01.005 fits the bill from what you've said OP.

Hafle - when you say 'older' bracelet, can I ask which model please? Just wondering whether you're talking previous generation or vintage.

AKM - I agree with Hafle's comment above regarding the bracelet but found that switching to a strap solves the issue and makes it wear much neater on the wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Hafle - when you say 'older' bracelet, can I ask which model please? Just wondering whether you're talking previous generation or vintage.

AKM - I agree with Hafle's comment above regarding the bracelet but found that switching to a strap solves the issue and makes it wear much neater on the wrist.
    1479 I believe.

1479 I believe.
    Thanks Hafle, I think a 1479 would be about mid 90's if I'm right, might look into pricing of those.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Thanks Hafle, I think a 1479 would be about mid 90's if I'm right, might look into pricing of those.
    That sounds about right. The more recent one (possibly supplied with the cal 1861 model, mine came with my BA) is certainly ly higher quality all around, but wears much bigger and chunkier. Doesn't suit my wrist at all so sits in storage. Both bracelets fit the moon watch but with the modern one on, there is a tiny gap between end links and lugs so do t know if the older bracelet would fit the newer moons watch (the old bracelet doesn't fit the BA)

That sounds about right. The more recent one (possibly supplied with the cal 1861 model, mine came with my BA) is certainly ly higher quality all around, but wears much bigger and chunkier. Doesn't suit my wrist at all so sits in storage. Both bracelets fit the moon watch but with the modern one on, there is a tiny gap between end links and lugs so do t know if the older bracelet would fit the newer moons watch (the old bracelet doesn't fit the BA)

Cheers, good info